Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports has just posted their NBA 2K11 Developer Insight, written by Gameplay Producer Zach Timmerman, as he talks about the "Jordan Challenge" and a few other tidbits.

Quote:
"One thing that hasn’t really been mentioned in all the great coverage today, we spent a tremendous amount of time getting the Historic Bulls teams and their biggest rivals into NBA 2K11. We went out and got the rights to the actual players from each era and spent a ton of time capturing their signature shots, moves, and tendencies. So not only are we building you the perfect Michael Jordan in-game, we are also giving you some of the games great players from yesteryear such as Scottie Pippen, Larry Bird, Dominique Wilkins, and many others. With those guys in the game, it didn’t feel right without adding era specific commentary. I am sure the audio team will get into that more in a future Insight.

For now, here are the Historic Teams that will be immediately available for you to play this year:

1985-86 Chicago Bulls
1985-86 Boston Celtics
1989-90 Chicago Bulls
1989-90 Atlanta Hawks
1989-90 Cleveland Cavaliers
1989-90 Detroit Pistons
1990-91 Chicago Bulls
1990-91 Los Angeles Lakers
1991-92 Chicago Bulls
1991-92 Portland Trailblazers
1994-95 Chicago Bulls
1994-95 New York Knicks
1995-96 Chicago Bulls
1995-96 Seattle Supersonics
1996-97 Chicago Bulls
1996-97 Utah Jazz
1997-98 Chicago Bulls
1997-98 Utah Jazz"

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 jr2424 @ 07/23/10 11:42 PM
Adding old school teams throughout the year as DLC seems like such an obvious move by 2K. I think they will do this if they can lock down the players. Imagine being able to add more teams to this list throughout the year. Can't wait to see what else they have in store.

# 142 Goffs @ 07/23/10 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbxbomba
any word on old school rules?
hmm i dont even remember the old rules...the only one that pops in mind was that hand checking was still allowed...

# 143 jd@os @ 07/23/10 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschicago
MJ has a tattoo as well. Not sure how many actually know that... Anyway he has a horseshoe tattoo on his chest.
Lol. It's an Omega symbol. Jordan's a Q.

# 144 RIZDRAVER @ 07/23/10 11:54 PM
Quote:
You mean like illegal defense? I wonder if this will be implemented. Would make it more realistic.
Haha, that would make it so annoying for people trying to stop Jordan. Would make you feel sympathy for Van Gundy, Westphal, Riley, Karl, etc. LOL.

Why can't we triple team him? He still makes it 70% of the time anyway!!

# 145 aloncho11 @ 07/23/10 11:59 PM
Quote:
In this photo, Pippen has a small tattoo in one of his arms. MJ has a tattoo as well. Not sure how many actually know that... Anyway he has a horseshoe tattoo on his chest.
I believe MJ had no tattoo whatsoever in his Bulls days. Maybe he got it in recent years, but still don't think so.

watch from 5:26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwrRc...eature=related

That locker room scene is from the 1998 season...no tatoo on the chest (have the vid on DVD too).

# 146 rangerrick012 @ 07/23/10 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd@os
Youvalss, can you PLEASE get on top of a mountain with a microphone and say this?!

I'm not saying this is MJ2K11, but if this was all about YOUR classic team, MY classic team, HIS classic team, THEIR classic team, etc, they would've had about 5 Hall of Famers on the cover. This is The Jordan Challenge, not The Hall of Fame Challenge. Is it that hard to understand? I know some people want Houston, Phoenix, Jackie Robinson's Brooklyn Dodgers, Jim Brown's Cleveland Browns, Wayne Gretzky's Edmonton Oiler's and all others on the game, but give it a rest.

I know I sound like a jerk, but I don't mean to. I'm just saying Jordan's on the cover--not 10 Hall of Famers.

I'll quote just for emphasis. Kinda - no, REALLY getting tired of the "Why aren't the '98 Grizzlies in w/ Big Country Bryant Reeves?" posts.

# 147 jd@os @ 07/24/10 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aloncho11
I believe MJ had no tattoo whatsoever in his Bulls days. Maybe he got it in recent years, but still don't think so.

That locker room scene is from the 1998 season...no tatoo on the chest (have the vid on DVD too).
I don't think he has a tat on his chest; I believe Jordan was branded on the chest the last time I saw it. He was branded with the Omega symbol because he's a Q, and it wasn't recently. He had it as early as '84.

# 148 RIZDRAVER @ 07/24/10 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
I'll quote just for emphasis. Kinda - no, REALLY getting tired of the "Why aren't the '98 Grizzlies in w/ Big Country Bryant Reeves?" posts.
Right??? Why can't these people apprehend that concept.....um, because it's centered around MICHAEL JORDAN'S GREATEST MOMENTS because he's the cover athlete and greatest basketball player and all - and not Otis Thorpe and the 94 Rockets. If that dude on the 2K boards mentions the absence of the 94-95 Rockets one more freaking time, lol!

# 149 bearschicago @ 07/24/10 12:05 AM
Quote:
Lol. It's an Omega symbol. Jordan's a Q.
It's an omega horseshoe tattoo.

Quote:
Little known is he has a tattoo, an omega horseshoe above his left breast that he always was a bit sensitive about.
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/jordan...ro_090821.html

# 150 jd@os @ 07/24/10 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
Tell me about it rangerrick!!

What about Harold Miner's Heat team?
Are the Bulls gonna have the black strap on their jersey from '92?
Is Pippen gonna have that zit on his lower left cheek?
Can we get the '84 76ers?
Is Tom Chambers going to have three beads of sweat on his nose?

No! No! No! No! No! C'mon guys...

# 151 youvalss @ 07/24/10 12:10 AM
2K should just add a little note on the PS3/360 cover, saying:

"To be continued...in the PC version".

# 152 bearschicago @ 07/24/10 12:11 AM
Quote:

Yes he did. He probably got it in 1986.

Quote:
In 1986 Jordan went through a six-week initiation period to join a national black fraternity, Omega Psi Phi. Omega is the third oldest black fraternity in the country and has 700 chapters nationwide that coordinate social, political and business activities. Among its 80,000 initiates, Omega counts such notables as Jesse Jackson, N.A.A.C.P. director Benjamin Hooks and Philadelphia's Mayor Wilson Goode. "It is another sort of community for me," says Jordan. "It is an organization made up of men who want to give something back to society." An omega tattoo on the left side of Jordan's chest symbolizes his commitment to the fraternity.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...6692-3,00.html

See the horseshoe tattoo?

# 153 jd@os @ 07/24/10 12:11 AM
Quote:
I do believe it's a brand and not a tat. Don't believe that article. I've seen a pic of it.

We're discussing Jordan's body. It must be getting late because this is weird.

# 154 bearschicago @ 07/24/10 12:13 AM
Quote:
I do believe it's a brand and not a tat. Don't believe that article. I've seen a pic of it.

We're discussing Jordan's body. It must be getting late because this is weird.
Read what I wrote above. I provided links. It's a real tattoo. As real as it gets.

# 155 jd@os @ 07/24/10 12:16 AM
Quote:
Read what I wrote above. I provided links. It's a real tattoo. As real as it gets.
I read it. But I saw it on tv. It comes out from his skin like a brand. I could provide a link to that too, but I saw it on a tv screen bigger than that pic. And I guess he was pledging to Omega in '86 after he left UNC...

# 156 VDusen04 @ 07/24/10 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaoudS
Marketing Jordan will work on the casual fans, who are the large customer base for 2K, but it isn't working for me. Classic teams, different era Jordans just seem like one big marketing ploy that will make the game remain stagnant.

OS users have been creating classic teams, players and in the case of PC gamers, jerseys and stadiums as well. What 2K is doing all bull ****, in my opinion.
I totally respect the fact that you're not at all impressed by the Jordan implementation. However, I'd have to politely disagree that this new feature is just something that's going to snag casual fans. I'd count myself not just as a real-deal NBA2K gamer, but also a basketball lifer, and that's exactly why I love the additions being made. I feel it will add a ton to the game, particularly from a depth perspective. I feel additions of things like classic teams (in addition to gameplay improvements of course) is exactly what keeps the game from not getting stagnant.

I have been eating up the Classic Teams downloads that PortlandBlazer has been providing for 360 users over the past couple of years and I've loved the work he's put in. If he were to create more full rosters this year (2K11), I'd still download them. However, through no fault of his own, his creations are not in the same ballpark of having real authentic lineups, audio name recognition, retro signature styles, court art, some arenas, and professional nods to great moments in NBA history. In fact, I even love the fact they added short shorts, as it could legitimize a lot of user made rosters (alongside the game provided rosters).

As a non-casual fan, this Jordan/Classics news does a ton for me.

# 157 jd@os @ 07/24/10 12:28 AM
I'd much rather stay on topic (sorry mods), but...

"Many people watching this year's NCAA Final Four tournament caught sight of the big horseshoe-shaped scar on the left arm of University of North Carolina point guard Shammond Williams. Michael Jordan's brand, hidden on his chest, is more discreet. Dallas Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith sported a brand on his left arm for a 1993 cover of Sports Illustrated. Other folks have Greek letters melted into their calves or seared into their forearms."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ures/brand.htm

I could provide more but I want to keep this on topic. Many Q's get branded, and I don't care what the internet says: a brand isn't the same as a tat. I know plenty of people with tats who wouldn't dare get branded. Just sayin.

# 158 aloncho11 @ 07/24/10 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
2K should just add a little note on the PS3/360 cover, saying:

"To be continued...in the PC version".
That's right my man...and you know it

# 159 aloncho11 @ 07/24/10 12:49 AM
Quote:
I'd much rather stay on topic (sorry mods), but...

"Many people watching this year's NCAA Final Four tournament caught sight of the big horseshoe-shaped scar on the left arm of University of North Carolina point guard Shammond Williams. Michael Jordan's brand, hidden on his chest, is more discreet. Dallas Cowboys running back Emmitt Smith sported a brand on his left arm for a 1993 cover of Sports Illustrated. Other folks have Greek letters melted into their calves or seared into their forearms."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...ures/brand.htm

I could provide more but I want to keep this on topic. Many Q's get branded, and I don't care what the internet says: a brand isn't the same as a tat. I know plenty of people with tats who wouldn't dare get branded. Just sayin.
That's why I never saw it...being a brand...and one made in the 80's, it looks like a minor scar on Jordan's chest in comparison to today's brands.

Now back on-topic

# 160 jd@os @ 07/24/10 12:55 AM
Quote:
That's why I never saw it...being a brand...and one made in the 80's, it looks like a minor scar on Jordan's chest in comparison to today's brands.

Now back on-topic
Actually that's a good way to put it--it does look like a scar. But the article mentions Shammond Williams' brand, and if MJ's looks like a minor scar, then Shammond's is major. I saw some when I was in college that made me turn away. Eeeew. But like MJ's, some were minor and cool.

But yeah, back on topic:

I can't believe I'm sayin this, but in a weird way I DON'T want any of the classic Bulls teams to be on the demo. I want to wait to play with them on the finished product.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.