Home
NHL 11 News Post

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 plaidchuck @ 07/26/10 11:05 AM
Well I would say it's a good goal, depending on how long his stick is, it seemed to be at a down angle... three points:

1. I hope this is a once in a lifetime occurence.. I have nightmares of people flopping around the ice batting pucks in from the blue line..

2. I don't like how the player who took the original shot (#41) just warps around the two players in the middle of a hit.. seems like the physics are only confined to two players at a time.. a little dissappointing.

3. The D AI still just does the horrible "slate away" animation away from the actual play.

Not trying to be overly negative, it's still an awesome feature just putting up some observations.

# 2 LuGer33 @ 07/26/10 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Well I would say it's a good goal, depending on how long his stick is, it seemed to be at a down angle... three points:

1. I hope this is a once in a lifetime occurence.. I have nightmares of people flopping around the ice batting pucks in from the blue line..

2. I don't like how the player who took the original shot (#41) just warps around the two players in the middle of a hit.. seems like the physics are only confined to two players at a time.. a little dissappointing.

3. The D AI still just does the horrible "slate away" animation away from the actual play.

Not trying to be overly negative, it's still an awesome feature just putting up some observations.
Not sure I agree with any of your observations.

1. I think we saw in NHL 10 w/ shooting from the knees and bat in goals that EA is very good at finding the right frequency for these sort of "wow" moment goals. I could certainly be wrong, but based on my experience w/ NHL 10, and the fact that I saw nothing even close to this from two days of playing NHL 11 late in May, I would say you needn't have to worry about this.

2. Warps around him? Not sure I notice what you mean. Looks like he just side steps the sprawling body and picks up the puck. Maybe could have been a bit more of an impact between Kessel and the forward who took the backhand, but not much. Nothing that really bothers me at least.

3. Both Atlanta d-men were human controlled. Red icon above the guy who throws the hit, and blue icon about the guy who skates away. Only Thrashers players in the clip who weren't human controlled was the goalie and the guy who made a break towards the Leafs' player who took the backhander.

With all that said, the puck physics are a bit off there but I think it's still an awesome clip. Since 110% realistic isn't possible on this generation of hardware, I think everything from the original hit to the blocker save to Kessel swinging from his back on the ice to the actual "collision" between the puck mid-air and stick itself are all awesome examples of the tech driving this year's game, and of a really cool hockey play. Then of course the fact that it's waived off and reviewed is just icing on the cake.

Basically everything good about that play far outweighs anything negative imo.

# 3 TreyIM2 @ 07/26/10 01:18 PM
Whatever the case, that was HOT! This will definitely be my first NHL game since I don't remember when...

# 4 The Visualizer @ 07/26/10 01:31 PM
I say the goal should be disallowed, pause the video at 0:44, the blade of the stick is above the crossbar, that's the rule...

I agree with Luger, not sure what plaidchuck is looking at, I dont see any warping, I dont see any defenders sliding away (they are all user controlled and reacting accordingly) and I'm not worried about the frequency of the "swat" or "bat" animations as I rarely ever see them in NHL10 and I play almost everyday.

Only thing I am worried about in NHL11 is the quick jump deke being too effective.

# 5 superbus @ 07/26/10 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
I say the goal should be disallowed, pause the video at 0:44, the blade of the stick is above the crossbar, that's the rule...

I agree with Luger, not sure what plaidchuck is looking at, I dont see any warping, I dont see any defenders sliding away (they are all user controlled and reacting accordingly) and I'm not worried about the frequency of the "swat" or "bat" animations as I rarely ever see them in NHL10 and I play almost everyday.

Only thing I am worried about in NHL11 is the quick jump deke being too effective.
You are incorrect. It doesn't matter if the blade is above the crossbar; all that matters is where the puck is struck. For example, if I have my stick blade above my head, but the puck hits the shaft of my stick between the bottom and top hand - and below the height of the crossbar - then the goal counts .It doesn't matter the height of the stick, only the height of the place where it hits the puck.

# 6 Bash @ 07/26/10 02:16 PM

# 7 Fiddy @ 07/26/10 02:20 PM
yeah, it dont matter if half the stick is above the crossbar, as long as the puck makes contact below that, then it dont matter.

# 8 Diehardfan @ 07/26/10 02:27 PM
Ok, its a nice feature but isn't it implemented wrong? If the ref waves it off, shouldnt the play continue until the next whistle...then, get it reviewed on video.

# 9 MizzouRah @ 07/26/10 02:28 PM
At first I thought it wasn't a goal, but after further review, looks good to me.

Love how the ref waived it off!

# 10 Money99 @ 07/26/10 02:32 PM
It's a goal. The puck doesn't rise after he hits it. It seems to follow a perfectly level plane into the net.

# 11 Qb @ 07/26/10 02:48 PM
Interested to see what the review process looks like, as I didn't see it at the event. I think there was one while we were playing, but I was into what I was doing at the time...

# 12 Redshirt_EA @ 07/26/10 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck

A goal like that will definitely be a rarity. That's the only one I've ever seen with a guy on the ice batting it into the net.

# 13 Money99 @ 07/26/10 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshirt_EA
A goal like that will definitely be a rarity. That's the only one I've ever seen with a guy on the ice batting it into the net.
Awesome to know Rammer. Thanks for the clarification.

# 14 kapenn90 @ 07/26/10 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehardfan
Ok, its a nice feature but isn't it implemented wrong? If the ref waves it off, shouldnt the play continue until the next whistle...then, get it reviewed on video.
No the play would be blown dead.

Awesome feature though. This is off topic, but it looked like there were quite a few empty seats. That would be cool if they had differences in attendance from Atlanta to say Philly

# 15 onlybygrace @ 07/26/10 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapenn90
No the play would be blown dead.

Awesome feature though. This is off topic, but it looked like there were quite a few empty seats. That would be cool if they had differences in attendance from Atlanta to say Philly
I noticed that as well...dynamic attendance, maybe???

# 16 plaidchuck @ 07/26/10 04:56 PM
Ok I see now the D was human controlled, my bad on that one. I still don't like how you are trapped in that skate away animation. About the goal I am pretty sure the goal will count as you can pause the clip at about 0:44.5 and see the entire blade is still under the crossbar(from that camera angle at least). This reminds me of a goal Crosby scored against Buffalo that was reviewed and was allowed as the puck hit his stick JUST below the crossbar and was allowed.

Now since the goal was waved off the "war room" would have to have overwhleming evidence to reverse the call all the ice. It'll be interesting to see if they make the right call 100% of the time or what. In real life this could be difficult based on what footage they have, but I think in the game this will count.

# 17 Eski33 @ 07/26/10 05:14 PM
Either way, that ...... was ...... AWESOME!!!

# 18 Gagnon39 @ 07/26/10 05:26 PM
Okay, first of all, that was freaking SICK!

Secondly, and unfortunately, I think ALL of the disallowed goals in this game will be from high sticks. I'd seriously doubt that there will be any reviews whether or not a puck crossed the goal line, or whether it hit the crossbar or the back of the net and bounced out. I guess we'll see, but I'm willing to bet that all the reviews are just simply high sticks.

# 19 Blaze125 @ 07/26/10 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39

Secondly, and unfortunately, I think ALL of the disallowed goals in this game will be from high sticks. I'd seriously doubt that there will be any reviews whether or not a puck crossed the goal line, or whether it hit the crossbar or the back of the net and bounced out. I guess we'll see, but I'm willing to bet that all the reviews are just simply high sticks.
What about if there was a kicking motion?

I think it's a goal. It looks like the blade is just below the crossbar when he hits the puck.

# 20 plaidchuck @ 07/26/10 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39

They have stated that there will be reviews for pucks kicked in.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.