Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

The Madden NFL 11 demo is available now for 360 and later today for the PS3. Please post your impressions here.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Hassan Darkside @ 07/27/10 11:16 AM
Demo Impressions, played one game on All Pro as the Jets taking on the Colts
The good:
Gus Johnson is 3x better than Tom Hammond, much more exciting and lively

The atmosphere is good, the cheers, authentic stadium music, lots of cool cutscenes

The new locomotion engine

Gameflow really speeds the game up

No fight for fumble

New kicking meter

The bad:
Graphics/lighting are inferior to NCAA. These players look like high schoolers out there on the field.

Locomotion isn't as tight as NCAAs

Gus Johnson sounds like he's having an orgasm on EVERY PLAY

The new audible system/strategy paid SUCKS. It's awful and makes calling audibles and hotroutes more difficult than it should be. It's also useless on defense because the QB always snaps the ball too quickly.

Peyton Manning only threw 2 incompletions the entire game, including jump balls that Revis couldn't touch for whatever reason

This game suffers from cheap DB play like NCAA does, where the DBs run your receivers routes better than your receivers do

Gameflow didn't seem like it was executed real well by the CPU. Perhaps if I actually made a gameplan it would be different.

Pro-Tak/gang tackling didn't trigger as much this year or as it does in NCAA. I think I saw maybe 2 gang tackles the entire game.

# 142 xylocaine @ 07/27/10 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Obviously the strategy pad on the defensive side of the ball is broken. By the time you pull up the pad the ball is snapped. This may have to do with accelerated clock. The CPU is snapping the ball when it should, you just approach the line too close to the clock running low.

I noticed this too, in previous madden I could with 6 motions move my DL, LB's and CB's before they even got to the line of scrimmage, now with speeding up the game and adding this ridiculous Dpad "strategy pad" even if you go as fast as you can, and don't accidentally push it in the wrong direction, you still only have time for one adjustment. It's kind of like madden 10 and trying to get players in place for FG or xtra point against the computer.

This isn't simpler or deeper by any means. Really alot of the features this year seem to appeal to the casual fan, and I'm not really seeing what the die-hards that would frequent OS will find appealing other than the AI tweaks and the refined engine etc.

# 143 mrclutch @ 07/27/10 11:19 AM
The gameplay is basically like 10, which was like 9, which was like 8. Solid but no real blow you away improvments.

I don't get the change to the kick meter. Was it to make it easier or harder? I'm getting perfect kicks most of the time. My money is change to give the impression of improvment.

I like gameplan once I build in more plays I like.

You will turn off Coach Speak.

Gus is better than Tom. Chris is still as bad as Chris last year.

# 144 spankdatazz22 @ 07/27/10 11:20 AM
Have only played briefly:

POSITIVES:
- Graphics are very sharp/clean
- Catch anims much improved
- Stadium detail seems very well done (very noticeable during cutscenes)
- cpu running game somewhat effective (but...)
- Gus Johnson an improvement over Hammonds
- Like that so many options are available in the demo
- player faces are well done
- replays much better than in NCAA demo

NEGATIVES:
- Player interaction, player interaction, player interaction. I don't see why this isn't a bigger issue than has been talked about. It's horrible to have 1-on-1 players bouncing off each other mess at this point. Other than when a seemingly prescripted OL double-team or a weak Pro-Tak group-hug tackle occurs, I should say. I thought it was bad/noticeable in the NCAA demo; here it's actually worse. Players slide and skate for extra yards while multiple defenders are incapable of interacting in the animations

- The commentary is barely average imo. It's an improvement over what it's been, but that just highlights how bad it's been previously. All the Gus Johnson generalizations ("he", "they", etc.). His trying to sound over-exciteable doesn't make for better commentary. I was more shocked when I heard Johnson or Collinsworth actually refer to a player by name than when I didn't. The issue isn't the people doing the commentary, it's how Tiburon implements it

- Strategy pad: if the goal was to create as non-intuitive a pre-snap audible system as they could, well... mission accomplished

- Cutscenes in sports games were feeling dated two years ago. That Tiburon continues to embrace them is... whatever it is

- Player models are too cartoonish

I think it was M10 that had that ridiculous number of over the shoulder catches and physic DB play. So just the fact that I went through a game without having to see the David Tyree catch technically makes the game an improvement over it's previous iteration. But sadly that's how this game is judged - off it's previous efforts, instead of where the game should be at this point. I do think the game has improved in most areas, obviously. And do feel it will be a step up from M10 overall. But still seems to have way too many frustrating elements

# 145 Triathlete_201 @ 07/27/10 11:21 AM
Has anyone gotten a user controlled sack?? When I let the cpu control my DL they get sacks every so often but if let's say I control Freeney, as soon as I get to the QB, he'll get rid of it every single time.

# 146 Jetsfan119 @ 07/27/10 11:22 AM
I'm not sure if this question is placed in the wrong thread, but I just bought a PS3 and I have been looking on the Playstation Store all morning and the only demo showing up is Madden 2010. Has anybody had any luck finding the 2011 demo for PS3??

I'm a converted XBOX360 player so this is all new to me. Thanks!

# 147 ODogg @ 07/27/10 11:26 AM
Ruff Ryder - Why do you say "No fight for fumble" because that is still in the game from the videos I've seen posted.

# 148 ezio @ 07/27/10 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan119
I'm not sure if this question is placed in the wrong thread, but I just bought a PS3 and I have been looking on the Playstation Store all morning and the only demo showing up is Madden 2010. Has anybody had any luck finding the 2011 demo for PS3??

I'm a converted XBOX360 player so this is all new to me. Thanks!
They update it later in the day. Usually between 5:00 - 8:00 PM EST

# 149 mrclutch @ 07/27/10 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triathlete_201
Has anyone gotten a user controlled sack?? When I let the cpu control my DL they get sacks every so often but if let's say I control Freeney, as soon as I get to the QB, he'll get rid of it every single time.

My first game I didn't get a sack with Freeney but I only used him for 2 drives. I did get a hit on the QB that allowed Bob Sanders to get a pick 6.

# 150 Pacman83 @ 07/27/10 11:31 AM
Comparing this to Ncaa is night and day. In college you can get away with just being faster/quicker than the other guy, but not in the NFL. Acceleration and Speed aren't as much as a factor in the NFL, and it shows in the demo. You cant just run past the other guy, you have to work for openings. Ncaa is more fun because its a highlight factory, every player is a human joystick, mostly unrestricted while Madden seems tight, less "wide open", but maybe too much.

Tackle breaking is the opposite. In Madden--wayyy too many, while Ncaa takes a bit more. I see the difference, Madden feeling more like the Pro game, though the added weight feel is maybe a bit overdone...Love the Locomotion in both, movement seems smoother, especially on cut backs, Madden just takes forever to do it.

Gus is Overly Excited!!! after just about every play over 5 yards. But--I guess it's better than the other option, I can live with some life...this might be too much. Whats up with the strategy pad?...who does that? No alternate controls? Barely time to push the 12 buttons it takes to move my Dline? C'mon..deosn't make sense when I don't have time to adjust players, especially against the Colts Offense...And NOTHING was wrong with it...*anyway*

Overall, slightly impressed with some things, slightly disappointed with others. Hit or miss. I've seen a few that believe the finished product is more polished than this W.I.P., which i believe, due to some things still incomplete, like crowd noise. I like the improvements, and i know nobody gives a s***, but i still dunno if I'll end up buying as the demo wasn't that convincing.

Edit: Fight for The Fumble is on, and can't be turned off (unlike most things in the option menu)

# 151 pistonpete @ 07/27/10 11:33 AM
I know the answer to this question, but just hoping they decided to put it in: can you player lock with the camera angle changed for POV like in NCAA 11?

Thanks,
Pete

# 152 patsfan188 @ 07/27/10 11:34 AM
game flow gets annoying.

# 153 Spazz4Life31 @ 07/27/10 11:34 AM
I love the announcing in this game only thing is they should bring back touchdown celebrations. Can't wait till my comes in!

# 154 rondachamp24 @ 07/27/10 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xylocaine

Another strange thing is how the opposing sideline appears to be cheering during replays when you are running for a TD.
This happens in NCAA too. The opposing team cheers for you if you make a big play or TD. It's a stupid flaw, but nothing worth being upset about.

# 155 mrclutch @ 07/27/10 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Ruff Ryder - Why do you say "No fight for fumble" because that is still in the game from the videos I've seen posted.
just had one in my game so it's there.

# 156 CatMan72 @ 07/27/10 11:35 AM
I have a Cable internet connection and I've been downloading the demo for 4 hours now, it's at 60%. Is anybody else experiencing a REALLY slow download time?

# 157 MAHAM @ 07/27/10 11:35 AM
This thread is bumming me out.

Can you really not call formation quick audibles?

The pad sounds aweful. If I cant adjust my defense and offense before the playclock runs I'm gonna get bored fast. I spend most of my Madden time in practice mode trying to build new plays.

A Colts demo without presnap adjustments is kinda pathetic.

# 158 RGiles36 @ 07/27/10 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh
Um - did you play them both? It doesn't take much time to realize which one looks and play a better game of football to me and apparently many others. The NCAA game nailed the atmosphere of really bringing you into the game and unfortunately I didn't get that feeling at all playing the Madden demo.
Yes, I've played both. Time will tell if NCAA is the better game. But to suggest that NCAA blows Madden out of the water or vice versa is off-base to me. The experiences are different and the game feels slightly different, but the games are not so unique that NCAA should be on some pedestal and Madden on the cellar floor. That's my point.

People praise NCAA and shun Madden as if the games are developed by two different companies LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HittinAgenda
-GameFlow is worthless without gameplanning. Granted I was down big going into the 3rd quarter, but calling streaks and corner strikes on every play makes me think that EA used "telemetry" from lobby games instead of watching film and talking to NFL players and coaches when they were putting this feature together.
I think you're right here -- otherwise you'll be pissed off at some of the plays called. When I was the Colts and down several points midway through the 4th, I had All-Streaks called about 3 times in a row.

I always thought I wouldn't tinker with gameplans as to simulate my coordinator being in complete control (assuming EA has really done their homework on each team's playcalling). But I'm thinking of nuking Dallas gameplan and rebuilding it on my own.

# 159 AndyP @ 07/27/10 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
- Strategy pad: if the goal was to create as non-intuitive a pre-snap audible system as they could, well... mission accomplished

- Cutscenes in sports games were feeling dated two years ago. That Tiburon continues to embrace them is... whatever it is
The word on the street over the strategy pad is that it was done precisely to make it harder to make multiple pre-snap adjustments, the kind that nano-blitzers would pull when playing online, stuff like that. I guess they did make it harder, difficult enough to make one pre-snap adjustment in fact.

As for cut-scenes I would like them to take the realtime approach of games like MLB The Show, the players just go back and forth about their business and it plays out exactly as an MLB game should.

# 160 rondachamp24 @ 07/27/10 11:38 AM
Also guys, whoever thinks this is the "final version" of Madden is not correct. It says right when you turn it on "work in progress.". So if you're seeing a few bugs here and there, this isn't the finalized version and if you're on the fence about buying it you should at least rent the final version and try it out.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.