Home
NHL 11 News Post

Quote:
"Yesterday we saw the first part of this NHL 11 clip which saw Phil Kessel of the Maple Leafs get plastered off the puck at the side of the net only to have the wherewith all (did I use that right??) to knock in a rebound out of mid-air from his back. Not only was getting to the shot a pretty crazy sequence of events, but the shot itself looked to have been questionable on whether or not it went inside the post. Immediately the ref flew in and waved off the goal as the players were celebrating.

Though we couldn’t capture the replays that occurred following the stoppage of play because they continuously played right after the goal scored, we were able to get the replay of the goal sequence from the pause menu as you saw. We were also able to get the call after they went upstairs on whether or not the goal should have been waved off."

Source: NHL 11 In the Crease Blog

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 KraZe @ 07/27/10 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman
It could be done. See MLB 10 the Show...
Sorry, I don't have a PS3 so I can't use it as a reference. Does it actually do in-depth stats, such as batting averages and percentages with voice-overs?

# 22 jaiman @ 07/27/10 07:49 PM
To an extent, yes it does. Overlays are all over the place. I've caught myself thinking about a certain milestone stat only to have it pop up or the announcer mention it during the broadcast.

For example. I am batting with Travis Snider from the Blue Jays. Before I get a single, I look at the in-stadium scoreboard and see that Snider is one hit away from his 100th hit of the season. Snider hits a single and sure enough, the camera pans to him at 1st and the announcer says "That is Travis Snider's 100th hit of the season. What a year he is having"...something like that anyways. I believe the same thing happened when one of the opposing pitchers got his 100th strikeout of the season.

Simply amazing. It really makes you feel like you are within the franchise. I wish this upon NHL 11...or 12

# 23 onlybygrace @ 07/27/10 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZe
Sorry, I don't have a PS3 so I can't use it as a reference. Does it actually do in-depth stats, such as batting averages and percentages with voice-overs?
MLB 2K10 does the same thing. Do yourself a favor. Go rent it and after starting a franchise, simulate into the second month of the regular season (thats when it goes from awesome to simply amazing). After this, play a game (btw, you can play any game during franchise) and prepare to have your mind blown.

It's as comprehensive as you would see on TV. Simply unbelievable. It's everything statistical presentation should be or could be even as there isn't a whole lot they could do better.

In fact...its so damn comprehensive that if I were to write down every single statistical stat I would probably fill a notebook paper with statistical tidbits.

Whats really great...

once you get past the first month of the season the stats really come to life.

I'm going to write an article about this very subject soon.

Statistical presentation of this caliber is no longer a figment of our imaginations...its being done and by multiple game designers and IMO it is really preventing EA's NHL series from becoming the series it could be.

# 24 KraZe @ 07/27/10 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
MLB 2K10 does the same thing. Do yourself a favor. Go rent it and after starting a franchise, simulate into the second month of the regular season (thats when it goes from awesome to simply amazing). After this, play a game (btw, you can play any game during franchise) and prepare to have your mind blown.

It's as comprehensive as you would see on TV. Simply unbelievable. It's everything statistical presentation should be or could be even as there isn't a whole lot they could do better.

In fact...its so damn comprehensive that if I were to write down every single statistical stat I would probably fill a notebook paper with statistical tidbits.

Whats really great...

once you get past the first month of the season the stats really come to life.

I'm going to write an article about this very subject soon.

Statistical presentation of this caliber is no longer a figment of our imaginations...its being done and by multiple game designers and IMO it is really preventing EA's NHL series from becoming the series it could be.
I'll see about getting my hands on it so I can take a peak at what you're saying. I, for one, hope I'm wrong with my thoughts of the limitations in voice-overs.

# 25 onlybygrace @ 07/27/10 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZe
I'll see about getting my hands on it so I can take a peak at what you're saying. I, for one, hope I'm wrong with my thoughts of the limitations in voice-overs.
Of course there are limitations for voice overs, because nobody has yet to set new standards.

However, when it comes to statistical overlays, its not just possible--it's a reality.

# 26 Uncle Stumpy @ 07/28/10 12:39 AM
I'm ecstatic the CHL is in the game, bu disgusted gary thorne is the play by play guy. He correctly pronounces 70 percent of the player names properly, if that. He is BRUTAL

# 27 elsonico @ 07/28/10 05:29 AM
looking at stats and presentation and the argument "it is too difficult/ can not be done".

It CAN be done, because it is very simple. Let's face the facts:

All NHL-Player names will be pre-recorded
Numbers from 1-20 will be pre-recorded.
All NHL Teams will be pre-recorded.

All you need now are sentences like:

"[PLAYER X] is on a hot streak, scoring [Number X] goals in the last [Number Y] games."
"[Goalie X] has only won [Number X] in his last [Number Y] starts, let's see how he does today."
"The [Team name X] are on a hot streak right now, having won [number x] of their last [number Y] games."

Put these into the opening scene and you have a brand new game.

For those who have played NFL2K5, do you remember having Sports Center? Around the leagues scores? I want that! Heck, even NHL94 had scores around the league and showed highlights from other games (even if they usually were shots from center ice which the goalie couldn't cope with, but still...). NHL94 even had the NHL Awards after the season ended! It can be done! So bring it!

The PS3 has got a blu-ray discs with TONS of space on it, fill it up!

# 28 tabulaRasa @ 07/28/10 09:09 AM
I kind of liked the old clean look of the overlays, this new metal-ish is good too, but I was expecting a more clean look
The intros looked a bit stiff, and the goalie looks like he´s holding a invisible rink edge when he enter the bench. Overall, the game looks awesome anyhow.

# 29 tabulaRasa @ 07/28/10 09:12 AM
How is it about the rinks and arenas in NHL11? In 2K they had the right colored borders around the riinks and such.

# 30 headsigh @ 07/28/10 09:31 AM
Moncton Coliseum isn't in Dieppe, NB, it actually IS in Moncton.
The team from Acadie-Bathurst is simply called Titan, not the Titans.
"Long Island Arena" actually has a capacity of 16,234.

I hope this is just early build mess-ups.

# 31 LuGer33 @ 07/28/10 11:35 AM
Quote:
Stat overlays
They're in 2011. There's a screenshot floating around somewhere. Dynamic commentary (outside of the win streak stuff, which they do have) would be nice too.

# 32 ericromain @ 07/28/10 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsonico
NHL94 even had the NHL Awards after the season ended! It can be done! So bring it!
NHL 94 didn't even have a regular season mode. Only playoffs, exhibition, and shootout. I think you're confusing it with 95.

# 33 elsonico @ 07/28/10 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericromain
NHL 94 didn't even have a regular season mode. Only playoffs, exhibition, and shootout. I think you're confusing it with 95.
maybe, it's been quite some time since I've played it. But you get my point, right?

# 34 Gagnon39 @ 07/28/10 03:45 PM
I'd really like to see user-controlled intros. Let us be able to skate around, shoot, and do all the things that NHL teams do before a game.

# 35 onlybygrace @ 07/30/10 08:56 PM
I don't know if anyone has said this, but it would be pretty sweet if the the goal horn was blown again for reviewed goals that are allowed for the home team.

# 36 MizzouRah @ 07/31/10 02:21 PM
I would like more too.. I'm a presentation whore.. but the announcer did seems much more enthusiastic for the NHL game introduction and I hope the two players who are spotlighted have some stats shown and it doesn't go right to the faceoff like that.

I'm sure there are more in game stuff we have yet to see.. at least I'm hopeful.

One thing I still want to see sometime in the future is where they announce the scratches for the game and then after they announce the starters for the other team, the teams come out onto the ice and then your starters are announced. I don't know if that's done everywhere, but that's how they do it here in St. Louis.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.