Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted their EA Sports MMA career mode breakdown.

Quote:
"But before you're training like a champ, Bas Rutten gives you an amateur fight/chin check to see if you're up for the challenge ahead. Win the fight and you'll be able to continue your training as Bas teaches you stand-up striking then offers up some of his friends like Gracie and Couture to help you learn new skills. But it's not like you're some slow-moving slouch when you start hitting the gym.

"We want you to be able to fight, so you're more like a 75% skilled fighter when you start, then you work your way up from there," says Barnes. "Keep winning and advance to one of two junior leagues. Win there and you can advance to an English league that features three five minute rounds, a 10-point scoring system, and while elbows are allowed, there are no head stomps or kicks while your opponent is on the ground." Don't like those rules? You have the choice to head to Brazil for your middle league instead, but be prepared for some **** battles. In Brazil, the fights are one round, 20 minutes, anything goes.

"Succeed in the middle leagues and you have another choice as you get big contract offers to either fight for Strikeforce in the United States or head to Japan and fight in our league which is basically an homage to all of the Japanese leagues out there," Barnes explains. "It's a 10-minute first round, 5-minute second round, a 10-point scoring system, and while there are no elbows on the ground, there are head kicks, head stomps, and soccer kicks allowed."

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Stumbleweed @ 07/28/10 04:47 PM
Yeah, this sounds WAY better, like infinitely better than UFC's career mode, which was a horrible joke this year and a super-standard experience last year. Love the touches on the different rule sets and the idea that you can choose where you "come up" and that changes your final style/skills. Looking forward to the **** "vale tudo" fights, sounds awesome.

# 2 Pappy Knuckles @ 07/28/10 04:53 PM
Very nice.

# 3 DaveDQ @ 07/28/10 05:04 PM
I like the idea of going into it rated mid-70's. A lot of sports game careers treat the virtual athlete like he just started that sport, when really he should at least be slightly above average.

# 4 GiantYankee @ 07/28/10 05:05 PM
Sounds good, but we'll see. I have learned with sports games, that you have to play the game and share your opinions with a community like OS to get the real scoop. I still remember online sites rating undisputed a 5/5! The game is terrible, but let's be objective. UFC's career mode might be one of the most unplayable modes I have ever played. I'm not much of an online player so career modes must be excellent for me to get enjoyment from it. I definitely learned my lesson with first day purchases when it comes to a sports title.
Here's hoping that EA MMA will have a good career mode

# 5 nyj721 @ 07/28/10 07:35 PM
This sounds good. Hopefully everything is nice inside the cage/ring.

# 6 TheShizNo1 @ 08/01/10 08:23 PM
Man this game is sounding better and better

# 7 PBlast @ 08/03/10 09:42 AM
Even as a fan of EA's games I did not expect this to be the most anticipated MMA game of the year, I was wrong.

# 8 Vast @ 08/03/10 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBlast
Even as a fan of EA's games I did not expect this to be the most anticipated MMA game of the year, I was wrong.
+1

THQ/UFC dropped the ball worse than any title this generation.

EA seems to be on the right track and should take home best MMA game this year.

UFC is going to need to be revolutionary for me to buy it next year.

# 9 Phobia @ 08/04/10 11:55 AM
Man EA MMA is looking wonderful. I hope it turns out better than UFC 10. I have never had a game invoke so much anger in me as UFC 10 has.

# 10 whiteboy502 @ 08/05/10 03:03 PM
sounds good..cant wait to play it

# 11 bkfount @ 08/05/10 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I like the idea of going into it rated mid-70's. A lot of sports game careers treat the virtual athlete like he just started that sport, when really he should at least be slightly above average.
that's my biggest gripe with most of the career modes done in the past. Why are created fighters rated so low, only to be able to be built up so fast anyways? A ranking in the mid 70's is average, and I'd rather work hard towards that last 25% than unrealistically pull a guy up from the 40's in no time.

It's awful game design that should have been done differently years ago. It sounds like EA is bringing it with this game, as they're playing the underdog against the higher profile UFC branded game. Amazing what competition can do.

# 12 eye guy @ 08/10/10 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfount
Amazing what competition can do.
Now imagine if 2K/VC were in the NFL mix? Imagine what competition could've done for Madden?

Anyway, back on topic, this is what bothers me from that read...

"So after you win your title, you defend it as many times as you can in your 40-fight career (game goes by fights, not age)"

I prefer being in control of a fighter as he ages rather than only having 40 fights with CAF's. The statement above takes away from the game being realistic.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.