Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Check out the latest Madden NFL 11 blog, discussing gameflow and the strategy pad.

Quote:
"Ian Cummings here, taking some quick time out to talk to the community after the demo has been out for a few days. First off, one great bit of info has been the positive response around GameFlow. Based on our telemetry, 95% of games played have had GameFlow as the default style of playcalling. We do realize it is the default option, which can obviously help inflate those numbers, so more telling is that of every single play called in the demo, 80% of the offensive plays and 86% of defensive plays were chosen via GameFlow vs. the conventional way. This is very positive stuff for us, as we obviously weren't quite sure how the general public would react to such a drastic change to the way the game was played.

Secondly, I wanted to talk about the primary hot-button issue in the community with the release of our demo, the Strategy Pad. As we expected, this feature has caused quite a stir lately, so we wanted to provide some context as to why we tried to unify our pre-play controls to one location.

We realize that the Madden veterans have been using the old pre-play system for years, to the point where it had become second nature. Any longtime Madden gamer could probably change the route of 2 receivers, pinch slide protection, and keep a back into block within a second. Despite the comfort with the way things were, it often caused major confusion for someone new to the Madden franchise or really any gamer who isn't familiar with the controls. I've heard a few comments on Twitter to the effect of "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" Well, when we started looking at data, it was in fact broke. Based on the playtests we ran and more importantly telemetry we gathered from the online connected consoles, we saw some pretty major areas that needed improvement."

Read More - GameFlow and The Strategy Pad

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 roadman @ 07/30/10 06:20 PM
I'm so happy about this.

I'll be able to sleep better at night and some people can get back to their nanos quicker.
/sarcasm.

# 22 dannyr326 @ 07/30/10 06:23 PM
Very happy they are allowing the option to put it back the way it was. The pre-play controls were never broken, EA just wants to make it easy for the dumb "first time" madden player who has no idea what he is doing. The hot route system that has been around for years is great, quick, and easy. Why make a complete overhaul on a system that is effiecient? With the new strategy pad it take double the time, and with the addition of accelerated clock in these last few years, there is now less time to make pre-play adjustments. Glad they are keeping the old way. I hope they scrap the "strategy pad" for Madden 12.

# 23 K_GUN @ 07/30/10 06:23 PM
so on a side note...

when using the new strategy pad I still don't know how to:

1. double a WR
2. assign a blitz to a defender
3. take a route and turn it into a smart route ( a route that takes me beyond a 1st down marker)

any help would be great?

thanks

# 24 Phil_Frazier @ 07/30/10 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
Thanks for the post Phil and the blog Ian.
It seems like nearly every improvment to the game is based off data from online consoles. So only online gamers are shaping Madden?
Saw this comment and have seen similar comments before. More than 80% of Madden gamers have a console that's connected to Xbox Live based on our numbers. Our telemetry comes from any game that is played on an internet connected console. Not just from 'online games'. We get lots of useful data.

Phil

# 25 iliteracy3 @ 07/30/10 06:43 PM
I'm actually happy that EA responded and now is giving in option to make every1 happy, i applaud u!

# 26 PantherBeast_OS @ 07/30/10 06:44 PM
Glad to hear that the old controls will be put back in as a option. Thanks alot Phil and Ian.

# 27 2krunk4u @ 07/30/10 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36
This shows 2 encouraging things....1) They're listening 2)they really DO know how people are using the game
I agree with this statement. I've been one of the pretty upset ones about this whole Strategy Pad thing. It's good to see that they took into account what their consumers had to say about their product.

Good Job, EA. Props for this one.

# 28 wrightnreyes @ 07/30/10 06:49 PM
question...what will the default online settings be? strategy pad or no strategy pad? or can you choose?

same for online franchise.

# 29 roadman @ 07/30/10 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2krunk4u
I agree with this statement. I've been one of the pretty upset ones about this whole Strategy Pad thing. It's good to see that they took into account what their consumers had to say about their product.

Good Job, EA. Props for this one.
I agree, but no one should be questioning the stats they receive. Not saying you are, but just saying the stats are hard to ignore.

Also, I admit I was wrong about the reason why they implemented it. I'm not afraid to admit that against their stats.

# 30 SteelerSpartan @ 07/30/10 06:50 PM
Ahh, I can enjoy some new video game NFL football now

Good job on squashing this

# 31 coogrfan @ 07/30/10 07:13 PM
Excellent stuff. Ian's reasoning is beyond dispute, imo, but the fact that the old method will be available by the time the season starts speaks volumes about the Madden teams willingness to listen to the Grognards.

Gentlemen, I salute you.

# 32 zav @ 07/30/10 07:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Excellent stuff. Ian's reasoning is beyond dispute, imo, but the fact that the old method will be available by the time the season starts speaks volumes about the Madden teams willingness to listen to the Grognards.

Gentlemen, I salute you.
I too commend Ian on his reasoning. I ALWAYS had this problem in madden 09 and on occassion in Madden 10. it would happen so quickly i didnt realize it. i would hit A then next thing i know my DL was going back 40 yards in coverage then i had to start re-adjusting. I guesss itll take some getting used to but im OK with it

# 33 Nelson9937955 @ 07/30/10 07:28 PM
It really sucks that I will have to wait an extra month to play the game when they release this strat pad FIX. I dont want to have to learn this nonsense and learn bad habits and then go back to the REAL way the game should be played when they fix it. That would really throw off my game.

At least they were smart enough to fix this stupid idea. I GUARANTEE this option never gets taken out again. What a silly silly idea...

# 34 roadman @ 07/30/10 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson9937955

At least they were smart enough to fix this stupid idea
Maybe for you it was, but not based on their stats they provided it wasn't a "stupid idea."

For every decision made, good or bad, there is a decision process and they had the stats to back that up.

Man, be grateful they put it back in. That didn't need to put it back in, but they did.

# 35 BlueNGold @ 07/30/10 07:38 PM
Hopefully the overdone bitching can stop now (i.e. "I'm not buying the game because of strategy pad!").

Good to see that we're going to get both options but I'm slowly starting to get used to the pad anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nccomicfan
I just want to know why this change was kept so quiet that when the demo dropped all hell broke loose
It was in tons of previews and if you watched any of the videos you could see it there too. There was no "surprise" with the strategy pad. Well actually, I was surprised they didn't add the ability to shade inside/outside, designate only certain DBs to press and being able to make pre-snap hot routes without having to control a specific player (similar to last-gen Madden and 2K football) but that's another issue altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
so on a side note...

when using the new strategy pad I still don't know how to:

1. double a WR
2. assign a blitz to a defender
3. take a route and turn it into a smart route ( a route that takes me beyond a 1st down marker)

any help would be great?

thanks
1. Select the safety/DB you want to help double the WR. Press down, down and right stick right (I think). Then press the button of the WR you want to double.

2. Press down, down to go into hot routes. After that I'm not sure which direction you press to get a blitz. I'd have to look at the game.

3. Press up, up, button of the receiver and click the right stick.

# 36 SeventhWard @ 07/30/10 07:48 PM
I am VERY pleased with Tiburon's decision to give the player the choice to use Strategy Pad or Legacy Buttons.

While I found the learning curve for Strategy Pad to be a little steeper than I enjoy - I found myself slowly adjusting to it, although the design was still awkward. Kudos for listening to the fans.

Please continue to give us CHOICE and OPTIONS. I like when new things are added - but I always like it better when those things come with an OFF switch.

-SeventhWard

# 37 Reaman @ 07/30/10 07:52 PM
No problems with the change as of now, it just will take some time to get used to it for me.

# 38 2krunk4u @ 07/30/10 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I agree, but no one should be questioning the stats they receive. Not saying you are, but just saying the stats are hard to ignore.

Also, I admit I was wrong about the reason why they implemented it. I'm not afraid to admit that against their stats.
I feel you. I wanted to see what they had to say about the reasoning as well. You cannot argue statistics.

I've been stuck in playmaker before, but square+L2 always cancels an audible. I know this, but I can see how somebody not used to the game would not know this.

It all goes back to hardcore vs. casual Madden gamers. In this case, EA is doing the right thing by giving the option to use either one.

I would love to know what the online default would be, or if the option will be locked into our personal settings.

# 39 ttmatt @ 07/30/10 08:13 PM
The fact that we are gonna get the option to go back to the regular way is the best news I've heard all week. I understand now why they made the change and the data they have gathered is very telling. As devs, they are concerned about people hitting the wrong buttons and then not being able to back out of it. For me, I think its reasonable for people to learn how to play a game before they pick up a controller and start mashing random buttons. The devs should include a detailed manual or an in depth training mode for the new guys because there is a lot of stuff to learn.

I'm surprised so many people are using Gameflow. I intended to play my first game on the demo with it since its the big new thing. I managed to make it through the first quarter and then I just couldn't handle it anymore. I feel much more comfortable calling my own plays. The best part of Gameflow is the fact that I can turn it off. As long as they give us options with these new features, everybody is happy. Thanks for listening.

# 40 xX CASCABEL Xx @ 07/30/10 08:44 PM
reminds me of Burger King...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.