Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

Earlier this summer, baseball fans everywhere witnessed one of the most anticipated professional debuts in the history of the game. When Stephen Strasburg took the mound against the Pirates on June 8, the entire sports world watched in anticipation. With a 100-plus mph fastball and devastating curveball, Strasburg exceeded expectations in his first start, throwing even more coal into the furnace of a hype train about to break the sound barrier.

The day after his first start MLB 2K10's MLB Today debuted Strasburg's virtual doppelganger with an overall rating of 87, which made him one of the top 15 pitchers in the game. Since Strasburg has continued to impress in each of his real life starts (until he went on the DL) and has quieted many naysayers (myself included), I wanted to take a peak into the future of Strasburg's career and see just how good/bad/or indifferent his Major League career could be using MLB 2K10. Utilizing the "Living Roster" from 6/18, I simulated Strasburg's entire MLB career.

So how did the most exciting prospect this side of Ken Griffey Jr. fair according to MLB 2K10? Here's a hint, Nationals fans will be very happy but not exactly for the reason you may think. Read on to find out.

Read More - Projecting Stephen Strasburg's Career with MLB 2K10

Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 snepp @ 08/05/10 03:39 PM
Blasphemy!

# 2 stlstudios189 @ 08/05/10 03:46 PM
I think he will fare better. I would take a 216-226 career record if it meant 3 strait World Series and 2 titles. I think the strikeouts will be higher by far. As for a 20 year career let him get season 1 done 1st.

# 3 GrandMaster B @ 08/05/10 04:06 PM
Crazy in 20 years, he never got traded. lol I highly doubt that he will stay with the Nationals his entire career, and that could effect his overall record depending on run support and ballpark dimensions. But interesting nonetheless.

# 4 AInquisition @ 08/05/10 06:18 PM
ERA is a pretty mediocre stat, and wins are worse. If he had that many K's, assuming he didn't walk the world and/or give up a ton of homers, it sounds like he was a pretty good pitcher.

# 5 rsox @ 08/05/10 06:43 PM
So by 2k10's account Strasburg is basically a middle of the pack 3rd or 4th starter.

# 6 xblake16x @ 08/05/10 06:59 PM
I dont really like the sim engine on MLB 2k10, though its the only game i can play (baseball anyway)

# 7 GOBLUE_08 @ 08/05/10 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmogs10
MLB 2K10 sim engine is garbage, make Stras a closer and watch him blow 15-20 saves a season and still be considered good, he may also have an ERA of like 1.57 too lol.......2K is going away soon and its sad, wish they could still make NFL, man those games were good
2k's not going anywhere, they are the only company that still supports the pc market, and 2k baseball isnt THAT bad. I think it will be a good thing if they just forget about hockey and focus on baseball and basketball.

Im not a huge fan of any baseball games sim engine right now including the show, but his numbers here arent that bad, ton of k's pretty decent number of wins considering the teams he played on early in his career.

# 8 spartyon6686 @ 08/05/10 10:34 PM
Someone should do a MLB 10 sim of Strasburg.

# 9 MMMonty @ 08/06/10 12:24 AM
I definitely think he will average 13 to 15 wins per season with the way the Nat's have performed since they moved to D.C. However, I think he will end up in New York, LA, or possibly a team like Cincy or Atlanta that has some young stars.

# 10 douggoud @ 08/06/10 05:42 AM
something i find kind of funny about the 2k series, they almost make it impossible for any pitcher to get 200 strikeouts, at all, in the show, i mean, you'll get lincicum to get 250+ strikeoutss like he normally does (pending an injury or slump of some sort) but, 2k7 and 2k8 which i played, i never had any pitcher, (in the majors, or minors) get 200 strikeouts, i think 2k likes hitting a little to much, lol (hell, in the show, ubaldo jimenez got 300 strikeouts, lol)

# 11 Joey @ 08/06/10 10:02 AM
"2027

The MLB suffers its first lockout since 1994, so Strasburg does not pitch. OK, fine, I’ll admit it -- I lost my notes for the 2027 season. Use your imagination."

That's funny stuff, there.

While I'm not a Nats fan, surely most would sacrifice one man's career for a couple World Series titles, right?

# 12 vln13 @ 08/06/10 04:20 PM
I don't trust 2k10, so I did my own simulation for the next few years with MLB 10 the show.

2010: Strasburg finishes off a strong rookie year with a 9-5 record, 2.89 ERA, and 130 strikouts in 100 innings. Yankees win World Series against the Reds.

2011: Though Steve is strong, Nats fail to live up to their end. 11-12, 3.04 ERA, 210 strikouts. Cardinals defeat Red Sox in World Series. Nats in 4th place in NL East.

2012: The world ends as the Mayans predicted - the Nats make the World Series! They loose to the Yankees, though. Their ace, Strassburg, has a decent but unspectacular year, but gives hope to a team in 1st place for a good part of the year and wins a Wild Card berth. Strassburg is 12-7, 3.51 ERA, 220 strikouts in the regular season, but 4-2 with 2.83 ERA and 47 strikouts in 41 innings in the postseason.

2013: The Nationals return to Earth with a .500 season, and end in 4th place. Strassburg is 12-11, 3.10 ERA, 220 strikouts. Red Sox win it all against the Braves in the fall classic.

# 13 GOBLUE_08 @ 08/06/10 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vln13
I don't trust 2k10, so I did my own simulation for the next few years with MLB 10 the show.

2010: Strasburg finishes off a strong rookie year with a 9-5 record, 2.89 ERA, and 130 strikouts in 100 innings. Yankees win World Series against the Reds.

2011: Though Steve is strong, Nats fail to live up to their end. 11-12, 3.04 ERA, 210 strikouts. Cardinals defeat Red Sox in World Series. Nats in 4th place in NL East.

2012: The world ends as the Mayans predicted - the Nats make the World Series! They loose to the Yankees, though. Their ace, Strassburg, has a decent but unspectacular year, but gives hope to a team in 1st place for a good part of the year and wins a Wild Card berth. Strassburg is 12-7, 3.51 ERA, 220 strikouts in the regular season, but 4-2 with 2.83 ERA and 47 strikouts in 41 innings in the postseason.

2013: The Nationals return to Earth with a .500 season, and end in 4th place. Strassburg is 12-11, 3.10 ERA, 220 strikouts. Red Sox win it all against the Braves in the fall classic.
Numbers look about the same to me lol, i bet if you put him on another team though his wins would increase by 3 or 4 games.

# 14 vln13 @ 08/06/10 06:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBLUE_08
Numbers look about the same to me lol, i bet if you put him on another team though his wins would increase by 3 or 4 games.
I wouldn't be to sure about that. 2012 stats are similar, yes, but the other years? Though he's a strikeout genius, he can't get his ERA under 4. Besides, the Nats don't get the World Series that fast in the 2k10 simulation. Completely different.

The two common factors appear to be these:

1. Strasburg is a strikeout master. Can put together 200+ strikeouts with ease.
2. He is a team leader, a cornerstone for Washington fans, and can perform in the clutch, especially the post-season.

# 15 Ryn Vintage1986 @ 08/06/10 07:47 PM
You have to think, as a team, the Nats are going to be in NL East top 2 in 3-5 years if they stay he course. They picked two great, albeit expensive, years to have the No. 1 pick (Stras and Bryce Harper, who batted .443 with 31 HRs and 98 RBI in college... in a wood bat league). They'll be fighting the Braves for some years to come. No slight to Philly and the Mets. The Phillies are getting long in the tooth, and the Mets' future seems questionable at best. Also, the Marlins just won't (or won't be able to) pay for top talent.

Perhaps more importantly for the franchise, they'll likely turn a good-sized chunk of Orioles fans. More fans = more revenue = more talent.

Stras will be better than this. Not that it's a huge deal (really cool idea to do this projection, actually), but with as nasty as his stuff already is, how carefully the Nats are bringing him along, and the stockade of young talent Washington's putting together, he'll get more W's. A ballpark career guess: 262-188.

# 16 Beastly Wayz @ 08/07/10 10:33 AM
well with Strasburg being a Strikeout Artist. Typically Pitchers who are Strike out Pitchers tend to have higher ERA in lieu to throwing a faster ball ( which means if contact is made, ball will carry further ) It's not Rocket science guys......

# 17 TeixeiraFanatic @ 08/07/10 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast0627
well with Strasburg being a Strikeout Artist. Typically Pitchers who are Strike out Pitchers tend to have higher ERA in lieu to throwing a faster ball ( which means if contact is made, ball will carry further ) It's not Rocket science guys......
Actually a ball that is traveling 95 MPH is only to go 10 feet further than a ball traveling 90 MPH. Whereas if you increase your bat speed 5 MPH, the ball will carry 25 feet further. It was on Sport Science so that's the only way I know that.

# 18 jack1535 @ 08/07/10 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeixeiraFanatic
Actually a ball that is traveling 95 MPH is only to go 10 feet further than a ball traveling 90 MPH. Whereas if you increase your bat speed 5 MPH, the ball will carry 25 feet further. It was on Sport Science so that's the only way I know that.
Yeah and a ball 99 MPH pitch is going to go about 20 feet farther than a 90 MPH pitch.

# 19 goalie @ 08/07/10 11:50 AM
just a quick thought... that's a TON of decisions...

seems like more than most pitchers would get the way baseball is played now...

# 20 ferriscj24 @ 08/07/10 03:29 PM
I would love the same Sim to be done on MLB 10 The Show. I think we would see very interesting results. 2K is just a terrible series that can't hold a candle to The Show.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.