Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports has just posted another NBA 2K11 Developer Insight. This one focusing on making a smarter game, written by Mike Wang and Jerson Sapida.

Quote:
"Now let’s talk about AI. Authenticity and Signature Style have always been strong points of 2K basketball. For NBA 2K11, we really wanted to take that to new heights both on the player level, as well as the team level. When I came back to the team last year and saw how much work the guys had done with the player tendencies, in partnership with 82games, I was really impressed. The thing I was most impressed by is how well all of the new tendencies had been integrated into the code. You can really see how each player rating and tendency is translated into how a real basketball player “thinks” out there on the floor. When I first played NBA 2K10, the difference between the superstars and the not-so-superstars immediately came through. But as I took the game to the lab, and really dissected each player and team, it really gave me an appreciation for just how much work had been done in that regard. Kobe loved his dribble pull up, Melo attacked like Melo on the perimeter as well as in the post, and J.R. Smith launched any shot from anywhere and everywhere without hesitation."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 eko718 @ 08/06/10 08:17 PM
If it plays like it reads, this game will be amazing. Gamestyle sounds reeeal good....

# 22 Tre74 @ 08/06/10 08:35 PM
jesus christ i love those developers. Man crush on both of them from now on lol 2k11 is going to be the goat if all this works out right

# 23 Mos1ted @ 08/06/10 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos1ted
The controls will be ideal for me if:

- They make the ability to walk, jog, and sprint 100% pressure sensitive to the left stick. No context animations. No triggers. Also make the transition from walk to jog to sprint and back gradual and smooth; also have to where a player can't stop on a dime from a sprint and his momentum carries him forward extra steps.

- Bring back the defensive crouch button. Also let me play the ball handler to a particular side similar to what they had in 2K9. Part of player a good ball handler is to try to force him to his weak hand or force him to go the side where your help defense is.

- (Like mentioned a few posts before mine) Bring back the post up button. Allow users to post up ANYWHERE including the perimeter a la Mark Jackson (while still enforcing the 5 sec back to the basket rule of course). Also allow offensive players to back down defensive players. Get rid of that "deadlock" animation where the players just wouldn't move. At least show some resistance for both players if you want to emulate a weaker player attempting to back down a stronger player.

- Bring back the ability to fake pass. I MISS THIS.

- Give me the ability to determine the speed and trajectory of my passes. Make passes pressure sensitive like the Maximum Passing feature in the football games. Tap to throw overhead lob passes; hold to throw chest passes or passes into tight spaces and closing windows. Let passers over lead their recipients (to cause unforced turnovers) or throw the ball well ahead of a teammate initiate fast breaks.

- By 1:1 dribbling controls, I hope they mean the ability to determine WHICH hand a player dribbles with. They already have Offhand Ball Security Ratings in the game. Let's actually make it count this year!
My wishes just keep getting granting more and more with each insight!! And I love the Gamestyle feature. I haven't seen this in a basketball game since the NBA Lives on the 1990s. Like someone already mentioned, I just hope this option is available online. I haven't played an NBA 2K game online consistently since 2K8.

# 24 JulesMendoza @ 08/06/10 08:53 PM
wow i like the simulation style option. you dont need to make drastic changes to your sliders all over and over again. thanks mike more power!

# 25 aloncho11 @ 08/06/10 08:55 PM
Sounds very promising.

# 26 Rocboyz101 @ 08/06/10 08:59 PM
Gotta give 2k a high 5 for this.

# 27 Acim1234 @ 08/06/10 09:02 PM
Sounds good. I love that they have the different pre-set game settings.

# 28 smithdynasty @ 08/06/10 09:11 PM
Im saddened by this BLOG post because all it does is make me think about how good COLLEGE HOOPS 2K11 would be...SMH!!!!!!

# 29 Ermolli @ 08/06/10 09:22 PM
Great read, hope that all of this is well implemented in the game

# 30 blues rocker @ 08/06/10 09:23 PM
Love the gamestyles. I actually suggested this feature not too long ago. I wonder if it was my suggestion that inspired it.

Anyway, the absolute most important thing is that when we search for opponents online, we need to be able to search other opponents who want to play simulation style and play in simulation style online. there also needs to be separate ranking lists for each play style...not just one ranking list for everyone.

# 31 23 @ 08/06/10 09:25 PM
Forget online play man this is all about AI not online sheesh

The core and SP game is and always should be the #1 priority first

I love how they tuned the FB's to work with hard breakers, ones that run semi hard, and ones that barely run

I tried to do that to nba live 10 last year changing the ratings to make their breaks run like that, but 2k actually programmed the game like this from the jump...

Thats pretty smart

# 32 23 @ 08/06/10 09:30 PM
Also its good to see someone finally give some love to the defensive side of the ball as well. Looks like the CPU will play the pick straight up or even play it then sag off.. making you have to make wise decisions... I love it

# 33 youvalss @ 08/06/10 09:43 PM
This Insight definitely makes up for last week's short one. Great stuff!!!

# 34 Jano @ 08/06/10 09:46 PM
The new defensive and fastbreak logic sound great can't wait to see them in action this year.

I'm real excited about 2K this year they are really looking to address a lot of issues can't wait to try out the demo.

# 35 STLRams @ 08/06/10 09:50 PM
Wow, this is crazy what 2K has planned for this game, I am really excited about what the devs are doing to this game. SIM setting is great, thats something alot of fans have been wanting in sports games. Damn, im still excited about the Jordan stuff and 2k is just getting started revealing the other stuff about the game. Good insight.

# 36 made in eu @ 08/06/10 09:54 PM
Great!!!! I always wanted preset sliders for sim. I hate to be lost into the jungle of sliders.

# 37 reptilexcq @ 08/06/10 09:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Forget online play man this is all about AI not online sheesh

The core and SP game is and always should be the #1 priority first

I love how they tuned the FB's to work with hard breakers, ones that run semi hard, and ones that barely run

I tried to do that to nba live 10 last year changing the ratings to make their breaks run like that, but 2k actually programmed the game like this from the jump...

Thats pretty smart
No it isn't....online gaming the the #1 priority for me. I never play NBA2k games for their single player or Association mode....why?? Because the AIs simply are not good enough. Maybe this year might be different based on what the producers said about the AIs offensively and defensively. But then again...i heard this talk of improvements every year ....i am not convinced until i played the game. But nothing can beat HUMAN INTELLIGENCE!! That's where the fun is for me.

So i am wondering if online going to have 3 separate lobbies now? One for Default, Casual and one for Simulation? I think i prefer Default. And if the game play realistic and not lagging, i will try simulation.

# 38 eko718 @ 08/06/10 10:06 PM
I appreciate the fact that 2K fixed the Miami court(it appears), Miami's shorts and Lebron James headband color. Much love for this.

I wonder if they have made changes to the rebounding game as well. Hopefully, guys like Dennis Rodman can be properly simulated; A 99 rating for rebounds is not enough, there needs to be some fundamental changes to how guys attack the glass... maybe there should be a tendency for that as well. In 2K10, at 6'7, its still a challenge to grab 10 much less 18 rebounds(speaking of the AI). Positioning, timing and will are factors in rebounding, and currently there is no tendency that differentiates a good rebounder from a fair rebounder to the AI. Same thing for if they add Barkley to the game, a guy who averaged 12-14 boards at a height of 6'5(6'6 listed).

# 39 Eman5805 @ 08/06/10 10:09 PM
Noice. Very noice. Would've even noicer if they could've said something about being able to attempt a steal without coming to a COMPLETE stop. Or to try and poke the ball out and keep manning up on D at the same time. That's when most reach ins occur. Not when you're trying to steal the ball from a stationary ballhandler.

# 40 Fiasco West @ 08/06/10 10:09 PM
Great to hear, this works much better for games like NBA than a Easy-Medium-Hard thing.

I love the new tendencies, and hope they work well.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.