Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

The Madden name carries tremendous weight. It is a decorated franchise that has been equated with football simulation greatness at various points in its life cycle. At other times, some gamers have also been quick to point out its various flaws and have been very critical of the franchise as a whole.

The point is that gamers expect Madden to feature the tightest gameplay controls and an endless amount of on-field strategy. These are the types of expectations that Madden has to attempt to live up to on a yearly basis.

And so with the release of Madden 11 becoming a reality, the developers at EA Sports Tiburon are now going to be fed to the lions once again -- the Operation Sports fans surely being the harshest of critics in the forums of an impassioned sports gaming nation. The game has also been given to a gaggle of media members so they can review and examine every decision and every new feature.

But this year it would seem that the Madden 11 team has answered their critics with a resounding question of their own: Are you not entertained?

Madden returns this summer refined on every level (with some obviously being more refined than others). The gameplay is smoother, the graphics are more vibrant and the game has come to life with added vitality. This is the most entertaining Madden I have played since the Playstation 2 days.

Read More - Madden NFL 11 Review

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Rules @ 08/10/10 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Yeah, for MY review click the link below

http://www.operationsports.com/MMChr...nfl-10-review/
Chris~ Sorry about that as I thought your review was miles better.

# 122 brza37 @ 08/10/10 09:23 AM
Two questions about things mentioned in the review:

"EA Tiburon has added custom stadium theme music for each stadium."
Can users customize the custom stadium sounds like in NCAA? Or are the sounds set in the game and non-changeable by us?

"On the Playstation 3, replays have been cut short and there is no actual halftime show. It is more like a group of quick highlights of the first half. While it’s not a huge negative, the added detail of a quality halftime show can immerse you in the game."
Does that mean that on Xbox there is a halftime show?

# 123 BezO @ 08/10/10 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haljordan73
OK, I've been warned about this, and I definitely want to abide by that warning, but I have an honest question, why is it that Madden naysayers always come off as "OK, this is what I think, and this is what you should think too, oh you like the game? no, you really don't, you're just too dumb to realize you shouldn't like it!"
Same reason folks that like the game call folks that don't like it, haters. Look at your wording. Naysayers?

# 124 roadman @ 08/10/10 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateprop
Im sorry how is game a 9 when franchise mode and superstar mode haven't really been touch. Dont get me wrong the gameplay and graphics are 8.5 in my book. But Franchise and Superstar is a 7.5 at best. They havent improve franchise which by the way I play alot in sports games. So im scratching my head at this 9 score when one of the most important core of the game is untouch.
I understand and agree, but this review, based on other reviews, isn't that far off, in fact, number wise, it's in the neighborhood.

Others have rated it 9.0, 9,1 and 9.5 on top of this 9. It's ran the gamut from 8.0 to 9.5.

# 125 TombSong @ 08/10/10 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Really?

When is the last time Ian posted here?

Talk about irony, he hasn't posted in these parts for almost a year and you feel that has influence over the review?

All they do is an EA rep posts links to blogs.
Last time I checked Ian was not the only "EA" employee that posted on this site. You do know that right.....right.....right......now come to that defense.

# 126 roadman @ 08/10/10 10:28 AM
^^^^

As I said in the last sentence, a majority of the employees from EA this year just posted links to their blogs.

It's not about defending, it's about stating facts.

# 127 CaptainZombie @ 08/10/10 10:29 AM
Can the reviewer or someone please confirm this?

Quote:
On the Playstation 3, replays have been cut short and there is no actual halftime show. It is more like a group of quick highlights of the first half. While it’s not a huge negative, the added detail of a quality halftime show can immerse you in the game.
On the PS3, it says that the replays have been cut short. The no halftime show, is that for both the PS3 and 360 or just PS3? Is it like NCAA where we see clips at the end of the game?

# 128 TombSong @ 08/10/10 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by haljordan73
I have both, and for me it's really no contest, Madden is leagues above Backbreaker

My goodness, you think an awful lot of your own opinion, huh? Who are you to say what the review should say, we are all entitled to what we want to think of the game
Sorry I hurt your feelings. The reviewer gave his opinion, I gave mine, whats the problem here ? Who said what I said is what the review should have been ? Aint this what the forum for ? We all are giving our view right ?

# 129 pdawg17 @ 08/10/10 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brza37
Two questions about things mentioned in the review:

"EA Tiburon has added custom stadium theme music for each stadium."
Can users customize the custom stadium sounds like in NCAA? Or are the sounds set in the game and non-changeable by us?

"On the Playstation 3, replays have been cut short and there is no actual halftime show. It is more like a group of quick highlights of the first half. While it’s not a huge negative, the added detail of a quality halftime show can immerse you in the game."
Does that mean that on Xbox there is a halftime show?
I'd like to know this too...I could buy either game but would prefer the PS3 version (more friends)...but if the PS3 version is "worse" with things like above I may get the 360 version...

# 130 ryan36 @ 08/10/10 11:00 AM
Keep this thread about Madden and the review guys...no more 2k5 or Backbreaker references.

...carry on...

# 131 ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ @ 08/10/10 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
"One season later, the Pro-Tak animation system is quickly establishing itself as one of the more unique physics engines. This year’s Madden 11 features a more seasoned version of Pro-Tak that takes into account more timing-based factors for each tackle. There are now many more potential ways a play can unfold after initial ball-carrier contact."

really? I didn't know Pro-Tak was based off physics.....you learn something new everyday.
Sure it is. Mario is based off physics as well (it has gravitational physics). If it isn't just a preset animation, and it's dynamic based on rules of the game's "universe," then how can it be described as anything other than the game's physics?

# 132 TalenT @ 08/10/10 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Sure it is. Mario is based off physics as well (it has gravitational physics). If it isn't just a preset animation, and it's dynamic based on rules of the game's "universe," then how can it be described as anything other than the game's physics?
I like the way you think my friend!

# 133 CrosbyKing10 @ 08/11/10 02:42 PM
They need to turn up the stadium music BIG TIME!

# 134 scoobydoo @ 08/11/10 03:06 PM
Zone and Man coverage is completely broken in this game. I've watched replay after replay of blown coverages in every way imaginable. It's not just a little broken. PLayers go completely uncovered so often. That's just the tip of the iceberg. There are so many other things just wrong with this game. I just don't see how you guys can give this game a 9 with a straight face. I know you promote these games and it's easier to sugarcoat it, but when 80% of the people here are saying something else that says something. I was reading impressions in the other thread. It would be nice if a reviewer actually had the balls to tell it like it is for once. I just can't comprehend why this game is garnering such good reviews. Are you really promoting gaming by doing that? The thing is people say wait for the patch. I've been waiting for the patch for about 20 years now lol. This is what EA does. This game is so broken out of the box, sliders arent going to fix it. The AI and coverages are broken. It will be hardpressed that a 'patch' will fix all the glaring issues with this game this year. I can understand focusing on the positives but when every reviewer and their sister does it, it would be nice if someone was actually honest and told it like it is for once. Read the impressions thread. This game is a 9?

# 135 Acedeck @ 08/11/10 06:01 PM
So, this game is one notch below being the greatest game of all time in the history of gaming? It only has one full point to move up in order to do this. Additionally, this means it's also the front-runner for sports GOTY easily. Interesting, that's all I have to say.

I'll be picking my copy up here in an hour, so I guess I'll get to enjoy this magically magnificent, nearly flawless, impeccable, supreme, utopian gem of a football game. I can't wait.

# 136 brezz2001 @ 08/11/10 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17
I'd like to know this too...I could buy either game but would prefer the PS3 version (more friends)...but if the PS3 version is "worse" with things like above I may get the 360 version...
Any help on this question?

Brian

# 137 xylocaine @ 08/11/10 06:32 PM
Operation Sports really gave EA a very soft review of Madden this year. The review is like a democrat interviewing Obama, and only giving him under hand pitched balls to hit. O.S. used to be counted on for the details about the game that we couldn't get from IGN, Gamespot, and G.I. etc but this guys review of probably the biggest sports release year after year just didn't cut it.

I Love Game Informers summary of their review, I couldn't have said it better myself (except I would have scored it about 8 points less than they did) and SHAME ON YOU EA for making the same mistakes year after year. And shame on you O.S. for praising EA year after year just to get in good with them. When you lose your objectivity then you will soon lose what made this site great.

"Game Informer
Madden NFL 11 is a clear step forward for the franchise, but as fun as the additions are, the fact that some of its glaring mistakes remain is like getting a new stud quarterback even though the offensive line still needs an upgrade. You're going to score, but you're still a team with weaknesses."

# 138 scoobydoo @ 08/11/10 07:15 PM
IT's not like the game is bad. I agree with the consensus that this is the best Madden yet for the most part and am enjoying it. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't. There are a lot of positives. It's more the sugarcoating that bothers me while overlooking flaws that exist. In some form a lot of people rely on the hype and reviews and you give a game a 9 and then you wonder why you have people disapointed. It's not just OS. Every major reviewer sugarcoats their reviews and promotes the game in some fashion. They review a game but don't delve into all facets of it. IGN, Gamespot these mags i wonder if they even understand what they are playing. They basically give the game the same review every year almost word for word. At least they are consistant? I wouldn't mind a more critical review every once in a while though. I guess I can go listen to apex but he's just as bad on the other side of the fence.

# 139 scoobydoo @ 08/11/10 07:37 PM
MAdden is not a true sim. EA uses smoke and mirrors to create an illusion in ways, but they did create a very addictive fun game this year. I agree with OS there. This game has a certain fun factor to it i that madden has lacked since the ps2 days. But it's still not where it should be. I'm also not saying Madden has to be a pure sim. I think a lot of peoples frustration is that Madden is the only option there is. Even for what Madden is there are still issues with it. They have created a fun and addictive experience. the lighting and fun factor seems to be much improved this year. The more I play this game the more the game pops. It recaptures a lot of that. They simplified the slider adjustments which i like. I actually like the way the strategy pad is incorporated. I think it fits well with what EA is trying to do. Bringing back the old method may be a mistake imo and open up all sorts of cheese again. Still too many dumb dbs with stone hands and suction blocking, etc though. Lack of modes and a really gamebreaking experience. Playbooks are basically cut in half this year. The momentum and blocking is better, but it still lacks realistic physics and player interaction in ways. It's not where it should be. Certain things in this game are still downright just not where it could be. All Madden difficulty, this games flaws really show, when that should be a great difficulty. But it's just awful. All Pro the game plays a good game of football but it's too cheesy the other way around at times. For what Madden is it may be deserving of a 9 I guess. But that review is also misleading and is going to leave a lot of people disapointed is my point. Madden has basically gone one direction with this game and has actually taken out a lot of what was in Madden 10 and refined this game for what it is at this point. Even that has problems.

# 140 EQuipT @ 08/11/10 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateprop
Im sorry how is game a 9 when franchise mode and superstar mode haven't really been touch. Dont get me wrong the gameplay and graphics are 8.5 in my book. But Franchise and Superstar is a 7.5 at best. They havent improve franchise which by the way I play alot in sports games. So im scratching my head at this 9 score when one of the most important core of the game is untouch.
franchise is a negetive 3. make something at least look diff. i should still be playing ncaa

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.