Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

Before anyone blows a gasket, I've highlighted in bold, the important parts. Just remember, it is 30 people from Visual Concepts, not 30 from NBA 2K11, but I'm sure there were a few casualties. Either way, it's not good to see anyone lose their job.

Quote:
"Visual Concepts, known best for its critically acclaimed NBA 2K series, has taken a hit over the last week, as the sports developer has lost around 30 employees. NBA 2K11 doesn't ship until October 5, but this staff reduction apparently won't hurt the game's progress, publisher 2K Sports has told us.

After a source tipped us off that between 30-40 people were let go from Visual Concepts, IndustryGamers received confirmation from Alan Lewis, Vice President of Corporate Communications & Public Affairs at Take-Two.

"In order to properly align its resources with its current and future goals, and to continue to develop games as efficiently as possible, 2K Sports has eliminated approximately 30 positions at its Visual Concepts studio. These reductions will not affect 2K Sports’ ability to create and deliver AAA titles, including its upcoming release of NBA 2K11," he said.

We wish those affected the best of luck in quickly finding new employment."

Source - Industry Gamers

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 SHAKYR @ 08/16/10 08:23 PM
Michael Jordan killed their budget.

# 22 star2121 @ 08/16/10 08:29 PM
I hope it doesn't mess up 2k11 that would be crazy because alot of ppl is looking forward to dis game

# 23 TracerBullet @ 08/16/10 08:31 PM
NHL 2K11 is released next week right? If so I'd guess that that staff took a big hit. Sucks to hear this.

# 24 Complex @ 08/16/10 08:31 PM
Folks in an organization, headcount goes a longer way in a corporation than one time budget items like signing MJ.

WIth headcount, you have to figure salary, healthcare and fringe benefits. Even worse, these cost are incurred for the life of the employee (as long as he is employed there). I live these issues daily at work.

# 25 TreyIM2 @ 08/16/10 08:50 PM
While I hate to hear about layoffs, what's crazy to me is that I was JUST talking to one of my friends, early in the afternoon, about how 2KSports really only has NBA2K really to bank on, now. This is sad but at the same time, I really wonder how much bank rolling MJ had an affect on this situation. If it came down to all this for ONE man, that's terrible.

# 26 apManila24 @ 08/16/10 08:53 PM
I feel sorry for those workers. I hope they find work soon. I also hope this doesnt affect nba 2k11.

# 27 bigsmallwood @ 08/16/10 09:14 PM
I feel sorry for this individuals and their families. I wish 2Ksports the best in the future and those employees who were laid off as well. Getting laid off is never good. God Bless them.

# 28 UMhester04 @ 08/16/10 09:33 PM
I just hope that they didn't spend all the money on MJ to get all the old teams and players in here because this was going to be their last game and they wanted to go all out.

# 29 reptilexcq @ 08/16/10 09:35 PM
Is Mike Wang getting the pink slip too?

# 30 videlsports @ 08/16/10 11:02 PM
I hope all those affected will bounce back.. I know how it feels all too well

# 31 Trevelyan @ 08/17/10 02:52 AM
This is a very concerning development for a series that has been poorly supported in the past. Hopefully they can do a good job this year even if they lost some people.

# 32 turftickler @ 08/17/10 07:18 AM
Been there, done that. I lost 4 jobs in 5 years and I still haven't fully recovered from it, financially or mentally. It is devasting to lose a job. Your self-esteem takes a big hit, but some come back stronger than ever before and I am one of them.

Maybe EA Sports could offer some of them employment. That would be great for both EA Sports and the employees that lost their jobs at 2K.

# 33 Pared @ 08/17/10 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas
That cant be good for attention to detail aspects.. Then again, the average Joe has been asked for photos of certain things by certain individuals to help aid in the development of the game over the past few years. So they've been short handed before with the asking of help by the fans. This blow will hurt them even more. If they needed help then, I can't imagine how much help they'd need now.
C'mon man, that's such crap. Have you seen the trailer?

Did you seriously think they'd throw in Wall's dance?

Give the group some credit, especially this year. They really are busting their hump and it shows. Even The Show has minor details they have missed from time to time. It happens when making these games.

You even have guys who went casper popping up again in this forum.

# 34 Ricky Rowe Zay @ 08/17/10 01:49 PM
Id be down to help these guys out. Just give me a cut from the earnings of NBA 2K11.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.