NBA Elite 11 News Post

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Nephilim @ 08/18/10 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Colors were infinitely better overall, animations needed work and some models were really well done. I'm not crazy how they look in the media here. Almost as if they didn't have the chance to give as much attention to lesser players. The cover guys, LBJ, Artest all looked great.

The great control supercedes all that though. It was just fun. Those that nitpick are going to tear this game to pieces, sadly. But that's just this forum, and not the typical gamer IMO.

Their biggest hurdle is the mindset that they can't offer a solid basketball title. If they had someone to explain all the flash of the NBA you'd see more adoption from the general masses. They need more style in the game. Player specific things that makes the fan smile when they see it.

Kids will want to buy a game to see John Wall dance or play dress up with Jordan rather than the excellent mid-range game. Once Elite can find that NBA inspired balance you will see the sales gap close.
Thank you.

# 82 Jano @ 08/18/10 05:58 PM
Quote:
If these are you expectations I doubt you will be disappointed.

Live 10 left me with an "ehh" feeling after some extended play. I know a few really liked it, but it felt like a copy of 2k's game in Live's realm.

This felt different enough that it kept me wanting to play.
Great post Pared and the part about 2K's game in Live's realm was spot on, thats what I've been tryin to say for the longest. Playing Live last year was like watching a third world country trying to fight against the US military by using US tactics.

For the US (2K10) this is great because its on their terms and their ahead by years in this department so they have nothing to fear.

But for that 3rd world country (Live 10) this is terrible way to fight because they don't have the resources, time, or experience to do everything the US can do.

So in order for the 3rd world to compete they have to change tactics, so I see this physics system being that new change. This will further separate Elite/Live from 2K and take it from being a poor 2K clone to its own individual product like you said.

And that's all I can ask for, for now because EA is in a deep hole and its going to take a lot more then a physics engine to get them out of it. But I'm going to follow them the whole way if they can continue to improve each year.

# 83 dexvex @ 08/18/10 06:27 PM
Quote:

Their biggest hurdle is the mindset that they can't offer a solid basketball title. If they had someone to explain all the flash of the NBA you'd see more adoption from the general masses. They need more style in the game. Player specific things that makes the fan smile when they see it.

Kids will want to buy a game to see John Wall dance or play dress up with Jordan rather than the excellent mid-range game. Once Elite can find that NBA inspired balance you will see the sales gap close.
pretty much.

# 84 wbranson1 @ 08/18/10 09:16 PM
Liked what i saw for it being a WIP.... im not expecting miracles to happen in just a year like some people... I had fun with NBA LIVE 10 and hope the fun will continue with Elite 11! Cant wait to get my hands on the demo already!

# 85 seemoe @ 08/18/10 09:58 PM
Pared, How was the arena atmosphere?

# 86 dirtypuppet @ 08/19/10 12:56 AM
Overall, not bad.

Lots of quirks, but for me as other people have mentioned, the shot blocking is still the most awkward looking aspect.

a) When LaMarcus Aldridge is trying to block Bosh, his first jump appears as if he should have some forward momentum (though he doesn't) which would cause player contact, or at least for him to jump forward out of position. Instead, it's like he bumps into Bosh's force field, allowing him to stay in the play (and look a bit awkward).

b) Shaq attempting a running block at Blatche. First off, it looks like it should be a one foot gather sort of attempt, but he jumps flat footed off of two feet. Second, he gets way too high for most players (yet a lone a 38 year old Shaq). Third, the two foot landing isn't horrible, but probably not suitable.

c) Kevin Martin attempting to block Stephon Curry on the break. I've read that in order to increase responsiveness, they've removed the gather animation for shot blocking. This is an instance where this is very apparent and does not look good. Even worse though is the body position. Martin is reaching towards the ball, but his torso is not shifting to allow his arm to be at full reach. It's just very awkward posing. Whether this was somehow from motion capture, or manually animated, it does not look suitable.

In general though, things don't move so nicely, buy I didn't expect them to. The sacrifice of smooth animations for good 'feel' isn't perfectly executed as far as videos are concerned, but I think it will still yield the best gameplay experience (though more individualised players through more signature style will be sorely welcomed when/ if it's implemented into Elite).

I also think that this will all look much better in 5 on 5 gameplay videos where you can't nitpick things so closely.

One last thing in regards to player movement. The BEST looking part of the video was probably the tech demos of post players attempting to back down. The physics looked good, but even better was the responsive (and surprisingly smooth) player animations that resulted from it. This is a very welcome aspect of Elite.

Looking forward to actual gameplay vids, and the demo. (and enjoy your holiday rEAnimator, seems you've earned it.)

# 87 coolcras7 @ 08/19/10 01:43 AM
Quote:
Colors were infinitely better overall, animations needed work and some models were really well done. I'm not crazy how they look in the media here. Almost as if they didn't have the chance to give as much attention to lesser players. The cover guys, LBJ, Artest all looked great.

The great control supercedes all that though. It was just fun. Those that nitpick are going to tear this game to pieces, sadly. But that's just this forum, and not the typical gamer IMO.

though EA was the first do do the whole dress up thing, was not one of their big features all the shoes they had in the game.

# 88 TUSS11 @ 08/19/10 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
though EA was the first do do the whole dress up thing, was not one of their big features all the shoes they had in the game.
That's all you have to say in response? He just summarized EA's predicament perfectly and all you do is make that smart *** comment. I know it's tempting but we don't always have to point the finger.

# 89 dredre @ 08/19/10 03:25 AM
smh at maybe ?next year? comments

# 90 Pared @ 08/19/10 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seemoe
Pared, How was the arena atmosphere?
The same. Although I know there were plans for things that sounded exciting plus the commentary and other things weren't in yet. From what I saw, it will make a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcras7
Shoes alone don't make up the NBA. Quite honestly, Ryan Santos has absolutely killed it with the shoes. I was a doubter, but now I'm a believer. The guy is a true sneaker-head.

The game needs more flash. Everyone having the correct sneakers and colorways doesn't make up for 10 players that all dribble and move the same way. They need more player specific nuances. A lot more. What's the first thing you see in the videos? People start talking about synchronized movement by the defense... not, where is X player's armband?

But they know that. This just isn't the year. You'll see some, but the big blowout in this area won't happen in Elite '11. Control is the focus, and you'll see they did a great job of this when you play it.

# 91 Da-Man @ 08/19/10 12:51 PM
Quote:
The same. Although I know there were plans for things that sounded exciting plus the commentary and other things weren't in yet. From what I saw, it will make a huge difference.

Shoes alone don't make up the NBA. Quite honestly, Ryan Santos has absolutely killed it with the shoes. I was a doubter, but now I'm a believer. The guy is a true sneaker-head.

The game needs more flash. Everyone having the correct sneakers and colorways doesn't make up for 10 players that all dribble and move the same way. They need more player specific nuances. A lot more. What's the first thing you see in the videos? People start talking about synchronized movement by the defense... not, where is X player's armband?

But they know that. This just isn't the year. You'll see some, but the big blowout in this area won't happen in Elite '11. Control is the focus, and you'll see they did a great job of this when you play it.
Pared why is it that every year they focus on one thing, give us half a game (eg. zero/horrible post game in live 10) and then say wait till next year for the rest?

Wouldn't it be better if tried to strike a balance and improve on everything each year?... Isn't that what the gamers want?

# 92 elprez98 @ 08/19/10 01:02 PM
Looks good. The underlying engine looks amazing, although something about the Live player models just don't sit well with me at this point.

They have a lot of potential, although with this amazing technology it does make me wonder how going this direction would have turned off Beluba.

# 93 Pared @ 08/19/10 01:06 PM
Resources and the lack of time my man. Every team has them. I could point out many games where specific areas suffer because of this. It's a staple of the industry.

Unfortunately for this series signature stuff has been ignored for far too long. But there a lot of guys they have invited that won't let this point go overlooked any longer. They hear us, trust me.

I know the waiting is old, but there's only so much you can do in a yearly cycle.

# 94 da ThRONe @ 08/19/10 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da-Man
Pared why is it that every year they focus on one thing, give us half a game (eg. zero/horrible post game in live 10) and then say wait till next year for the rest?

Wouldn't it be better if tried to strike a balance and improve on everything each year?... Isn't that what the gamers want?
Disagree. You can blame them for falling so far behind that they have to make a such a drastic change ,but thats another topic. Anyways the best course of action is to take the most important aspect (which for them is RTP) and get it as close to down pat as possible. Then move on to other things.

# 95 Jano @ 08/19/10 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOausarOo
Will Elite 11 have any type of signature moves such as dunks or layups?
Yes there were sig dunks and moves in Live 10 too. LBJ and Wade had their own signatures step back moves, dunks, and shots.

Kobe had a sig fadeaway, Tony Parker had a sig floater, Shawn Marion had is ugly little runner, etc.

Certain players had their own sizeup moves too (Rose had a different one from Kobe)

The game had sig moves just not as many as 2K10 and I'm sure they are going to add more moves this year.

# 96 BDM313 @ 08/19/10 07:04 PM
Amazed By The RTP But What I Love Is The Fact That The Ball Is Live And Not Stuck To The Offensive Player Both Games Look Promising This Year....

# 97 dirtypuppet @ 08/19/10 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elprez98
Looks good. The underlying engine looks amazing, although something about the Live player models just don't sit well with me at this point.
I agree with you on the player models. Whoever chooses them just doesn't pay enough attention or doesn't have the right variety of models to choose from.

- Shaq looks more like Shaq from the Orlando days but with his 38 year old Head

- Zaza Pachulia and lots of other reserve big men just look way too slight

- Even Dwight, last years cover boy looks somewhat man child ish (can't work out which proportions are doing this).

Some skinnier payers looks great though.

I think one of the main problems with bigger or fatter guys like Shaq is their hips/ waist. They've got Shaq bulked up, but more with muscle then fat so his waist and legs are too athletic.

# 98 mlp111 @ 08/20/10 10:56 AM
not impressed at all, EA has to sell me with their demo, seen some good thing in the trailer, but also seen some bad things

# 99 Tha_Kid @ 08/24/10 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypuppet
I agree with you on the player models. Whoever chooses them just doesn't pay enough attention or doesn't have the right variety of models to choose from.

- Shaq looks more like Shaq from the Orlando days but with his 38 year old Head

- Zaza Pachulia and lots of other reserve big men just look way too slight

- Even Dwight, last years cover boy looks somewhat man child ish (can't work out which proportions are doing this).

Some skinnier payers looks great though.

I think one of the main problems with bigger or fatter guys like Shaq is their hips/ waist. They've got Shaq bulked up, but more with muscle then fat so his waist and legs are too athletic.
I think the thing about Live is that the players look skinny from the side camera, but when you zoom in or go closeup, the proportions and sizes look good. It's like the opposite of 2K in a way, where the players look great from gameplay camera, but often appear a bit on the bulky side. 2K has improved a bit on this recently but I don't see too much of a change so far with Elite. I'll wait til a graphics blog (or final code HD shots) before I judge.

# 100 dirtypuppet @ 08/24/10 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
I think the thing about Live is that the players look skinny from the side camera, but when you zoom in or go closeup, the proportions and sizes look good. It's like the opposite of 2K in a way, where the players look great from gameplay camera, but often appear a bit on the bulky side. 2K has improved a bit on this recently but I don't see too much of a change so far with Elite. I'll wait til a graphics blog (or final code HD shots) before I judge.
I disagree with you on the Camera aspect. When you zoom in on a player, your focusing on their upper body and mostly head so maybe that's what grabbing your attention (because a lot of the faces are actually well done) but the proportions are still way off.

This is from the Live 10 re body types:

These a reaspnable, but still off. Now check out Shaq from last season with the cavs:

The guys body type is no longer really glowing with definition (unless maybe you hunt down some posing press shots). He's now just..... a massive dude, former superb athlete that has a lot of body weight. This is in no way reflected in NBA Live 10 (and from what I've seen so far, NBA Elite 11). When playing with Shaq, you should not only 'feel' his size and weight, but his appearance, or body type should reflect it better.

And Shaq is just one obvious example, as I stated earlier, it's a problem with almost all models in general, but specifically big men.

I hope to see a blog in the coming weeks like last years one (http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthep...lug/so-amazing) which was done well and showed great improvement. I just hope to see a steady improvement in this years cycle also.

While on this note, if a producer is reading this, I wouldn't mind asking, are these sorts things changeable through Daily DNA, or are player body-types locked? For example, if I create a player, I can edit his appearance to be fatter or more cut, is it possible if once the game is released that if the community were to point out concerns with some body-types that they can be altered for a DNA update, or are these models absolutely locked one the code is final?

Stepsix?.... rEAnimator? Thanks

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.