Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

Great new video of EA Sports MMA that was just uploaded today. Features an entire fight of a recent build of the game with Bobby Lashley playing as himself against Alistair Overeem.

The game looks to be shaping up nicely, the pace feels far more authentic than UFC Undisputed 2010.

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 DaveDQ @ 08/21/10 07:23 PM
I'm really impressed with the grappling and transitions in this game..very nicely done.

Thanks for the video post, MossFan. Nice.

# 2 Phobia @ 08/21/10 08:44 PM
Wow this game is looking fantastic!!!!

Only worry was the amount of reversals Lashley was able to pull off. But that could be due to the other guy not knowing how to play. If I was understanding it right that he was the little guy pressing start in middle of fight lol.

But WOW it is looking incredible

# 3 ManiacMatt1782 @ 08/21/10 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Wow this game is looking fantastic!!!!

Only worry was the amount of reversals Lashley was able to pull off. But that could be due to the other guy not knowing how to play. If I was understanding it right that he was the little guy pressing start in middle of fight lol.

But WOW it is looking incredible
I have to agree. for me striking on the stick will always be awkward, but i will definitely give a better try than fight night round 4. i hope this game is great.

# 4 RumbleCard @ 08/21/10 10:33 PM
Game looks silky smooth. Great body/hand/leg flow in and out of transitions.

No blood? No cuts?

# 5 judgejudy @ 08/22/10 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCard

No blood? No cuts?
overeem clearly has a cut on his cheek about 3:50 into the video?

# 6 DaveDQ @ 08/22/10 09:17 AM
I was watching the stamina meter and trying to figure out how it plays a role during the fight. When Lashley finishes him off it seems to dip real quick and then comes back. I'd like to know what effects stamina and if it at all slows a fighter down.

# 7 milin @ 08/22/10 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I was watching the stamina meter and trying to figure out how it plays a role during the fight. When Lashley finishes him off it seems to dip real quick and then comes back. I'd like to know what effects stamina and if it at all slows a fighter down.
Well, I saw one time that Overeem had his stamina drained just before he got up, and started exchanging punches after, and his punches were a lot slower and looked weaker too. So maybe stamina does have a great impact in that.

# 8 King10Sooted @ 08/22/10 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCard

No blood? No cuts?
Not every MMA fight ends up a bloodbath, and even when someone is cut they dont always bleed all over the ring. That was something I hated about UFC Undisputed 2010. Almost every fight people ended up dripping blood at some point.

# 9 Acedeck @ 08/22/10 01:05 PM
Every fight in UFC 2010 ended in a bloodbath because it was a KO fest.

As for the video:

I'm very impressed. I think it looks great. My only complaint is that the same reversal gets used WAY too often. It's not that often that a guy on the bottom performs a complete reversal, and when he does, it doesn't look like that. It's like he sits up and flips him around. That move is much harder to do in real life than this video would make you believe. Other than that, it's looking great.

# 10 Phobia @ 08/22/10 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedeck

As for the video:

I'm very impressed. I think it looks great. My only complaint is that the same reversal gets used WAY too often. It's not that often that a guy on the bottom performs a complete reversal, and when he does, it doesn't look like that. It's like he sits up and flips him around. That move is much harder to do in real life than this video would make you believe. Other than that, it's looking great.
Agreed and was the same thing I thought needing to be adjusted or it could be the guy on the sticks. Hard to know until you get your hand on the controller.

# 11 AlphaTrojan @ 08/22/10 01:18 PM
I'm not that big of a UFC/MMA fan but the game looks pretty good. It'll definitely be on my radar.

# 12 milin @ 08/22/10 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Agreed and was the same thing I tought needing to be adjusted or it could be the guy on the sticks. Hard to know until you get your hand on the controller.
I hope the game has sliders at least, so we can tweak stuff like this.

# 13 DGMikeBarker @ 08/22/10 02:26 PM
Looks very smooth

# 14 Evlmnky33 @ 08/22/10 02:39 PM
for everything we heard about the controls and how simple they are there seems to be alot of button mashing.

click click rattle click click....

# 15 whosgotcha @ 08/22/10 06:26 PM
I am excited about this version of MMA. It looks much more fluid than UFC

# 16 23bluesman @ 08/22/10 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acedeck

As for the video:

I agree with your complaint; I also think that there should be more varied anims for takedowns, UFC 2010 did a good job with that.

# 17 Pappy Knuckles @ 08/22/10 08:31 PM
Looking very good. I'll hold off on any comments about reversals because there's probably a lot more that hasn't been shown yet. At least I'm hoping...

# 18 DaveDQ @ 08/23/10 08:18 AM
Good points, but really..how do you make an MMA game and it not be a button masher? I would imagine that the hardest thing to do is map the buttons to incorporate all the moves.

# 19 Greene_Flash03 @ 08/24/10 11:28 PM
Looks really impressive and authentic!

Just clean up the punches and kicks then it's all good!

# 20 allBthere @ 08/25/10 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
I dont like how the reversals on the ground all look the same and end up with the bottom guy basically picking up the top guy and throwing him on his back. How often do you actually see that in a real MMA fight? At one point, the guy playing as Overeem just falls down into guard because he knows he can reverse Lashley right away which he does. Way too many ground reversals.

And i dont like that takedowns are either hit or miss meaning youre either going to complete it and take the guy down or miss. There doesnt seem to be much of an in between where you can block but still be in a clinch fighting for the takedown. There was one moment around 2:35 where Lashley blocked the takedown and they stayed in the clinch but that was a takedown attempt that was done when they were already in the clinch, not just standing seperated from one another. Every gameplay video ive seen the guy attempting the takedown either completes it or if the opponent times it perfect they can land a strike like Lashley does once in this vid.

This game just looks like a button masher. It looks really dumbed down. The entire fight was takedowns when they were standing and ground reversals when they were on the ground. The striking looked bad, the takedowns looked bad, the complete ground reversal looked bad and way too easy so i think this game will get boring really fast. The only things i really liked were the player models and the ground transitions when guys were trying to pass guard. And i do like the way EA's submission system looks compared to UFC's shine. I HATE THE SHINE!

There doesnt appear to really be any strategy whatsoever in the fights, just mash the buttons, take the guy down and reverse if he takes you down. I also dont understand how the last line reads the pace feels far more authentic than UFC. At least with UFC you can strike with one another and not just get taken down so easily. I think the pace of the ground game appears to be better but that gets canceled out by how easy it appears to be to reverse on the ground. At least with UFC the guys get tired, you can stand up and strike longer, its not just a takedown-fest, ground reversals arent so easy and there is some strategy involved.

I'll still prob give this game a try because i love MMA but this game looks arcadish to me.
agree 100%.

I'm not sure why people have so drastically changed their stance on how the game looks, because there has been zero improvement to the strikes since the first video from what I've seen AND on top of that seeing sustained gameplay has actually taken AWAY from original opinion of takedowns and the ground game.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.