Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

• Part 1: How Brett Favre's return impacted the Vikings team ratings | Fans reactions to Game Flow technology
  • Part 2: Hard core gamers reactions to Game Flow | NFL players reactions to player ratings
  • Part 3: NFL players involvement in game design | Why Gus Johnson was chosen to be voice of Madden NFL 11 | Could NCAA Football 11 team beat a middle of the road Madden NFL 11 team | How working on Madden NFL 11 changes the way designers watch NFL games
  • Part 4: Why the NFL considers the EA Sports Madden design team to be the 33rd NFL franchise | What's in-store for Madden NFL 12

Source - ESPN - Let if Flo

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 TDKing @ 08/25/10 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Frazier_EA
If I answer this question aren't I admitting that it was done incorrectly?

I do feel like the direction we chose (server based) was the right direction to go. My personal theory on why the mode isn't used isn't because we lack a free agent system. I believe it has more to do with the nature of online and scheduling. Coordinating an entire league is hard work and as soon as one person loses interest, the rest of the league is sure to follow. If we can somehow crack the issue of scheduling and more flexible timing options, I think we might be on to something.

Phil
I apoligize, I did not mean "incorrectly"... I should have said "incomplete". I agree that scheduling could be a problem in the larger leagues but I was in a smaller league with 6 guys and it was great. We lost interest due to the lack of features.. especially salary cap. I don't understand why a salary cap couldn't be added in this year. You guys had the right idea, with the web/mobile interfaces but you just didn't see it through. NCAA Dynasty Mode seems to be successfull. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

# 62 kjcheezhead @ 08/25/10 05:48 PM
Why was there a reluctance to state the numbers of online players using gameflow? Offline guys are at 70-80%, but many franchise guys from past versions used ask madden to call plays to offer more of a challenge.

Merely stating the online numbers are lower than offline and not just giving totals leaves me with the impression that Gameflow isn't being welcomed as much as they would like us to believe. Just my impression from the responses.

I also believe you can't turn gameflow off online? (Don't have the game so don't know for sure)

# 63 NYwRiter94 @ 08/25/10 05:53 PM
While I understand that a lot of the casual fans don't enjoy spreadsheet management, Franchise mode isn't for the casual fan. The mode is meant to be as close to a simulation of the NFL Season as possible--so leaving things out because they don't scream 'fun' to the casual fan doesn't seem to make much sense.

I've been racking my brain to come up with a better alternative to spreadsheet management, but as long as ratings are quantifiable and visible in franchise mode, there's no other way to do it.

# 64 rooney8 @ 08/25/10 06:53 PM
Quote:
Trust me, we get it. We'd love to be able to add each and every feature listed on feature lists from sites like this. Well...maybe not every feature but I think you get the point. The NFL season doesn't wait for us to finish our game and as such, we have a fixed amount of time to work with to get the game out by August every year. Each year we have to make very difficult decisions on which features to tackle now vs. putting off another year (or two). Many factors go into those decisions and in just about every case there will be an audience that doesn't like the decision. I get that frustration as a gamer myself.

Phil
I'll help you so. Franchise Mode, Defense and an option to hide player ratings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adembroski
What do you think the percentages are of hardcore vs. casual Madden vs. NHL players? I think that plays into the equation. I'd bet on average an NHL 11 player is a more hardcore hockey fan than the average Madden player is toward football.
Not familar with Hockey games so I will use what games I am familar with.
Fifa is more sim then PES and sells much better, Nba2k is more sim then Nba Elite and sells much better. Madden05 and NFL2k5 both very sim sold 9.5m on the top two platforms. Then Madden went in a more arcade direction and sales gradually dropped while sim games like Fifa and Nba2k sales continue to grow. It's easier than ever to know who to make your game for with sim consoles and arcade consoles. The split between the Wii vs 360 and Ps3 is close to 50/50 yet the sales of Madden on the more hardcore consoles is 6+ times the sales of the Wii. Yet there is this idea that Madden is different to every game other game and the majority of buyers wouldn't know what a football was if it hit them in the face. I will never understand trying to make a football game for non football fans instead of football fans. Before you say Madden is now taking a more sim approach, yes it is more sim but is not sim. It's going for somwhere in the middle, little more arcade then sim to me.
Finally, I remember me and my brother playing Madden. Netheir of us knew much about American Football at the time don't even think there was any coverage in Ireland back then. When we went on to a new season two of my brothers players were holding out. We didn't know what that was but when they didn't play in pre-season the penny dopped. So he tried to get them to play and if I remember correctly he signed one to a new contract but had to trade the other away. We didn't understand it at first but thought it was the coolest thing ever after that.

# 65 nccomicfan @ 08/25/10 07:02 PM
Quote:
We didn't want to get specific with that blog because Madden 11 wasn't even out yet.

We're working hard to make meaningful changes to career modes as quickly as we can. It's a massive effort and I'm sure there will be immediate visibility to these changes in one product cycle. I'm not allowed to make promises at this early stage.

Phil
as in, don't plan on this being totally fixed for next year..I don't see how that can be read any other way

# 66 rooney8 @ 08/25/10 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccomicfan
as in, don't plan on this being totally fixed for next year..I don't see how that can be read any other way
I think it's probably just going to be a bit bare compared to what people want but still will have to be deeper than the current mode.

# 67 PantherBeast_OS @ 08/25/10 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Sidenote: I thought I checked VGchartz last week and the numbers for NBA 2K had dropped? Perhaps I didn't look at the big picture (overall sales).

I'd think they go hand & hand, would they not?
Well true. But it worries me some because of real late they been mainly talking about doing more online stuff then offline franchise mode stuff. I'm just afraid alot of the focus is geared towards online franchise more the way they talk sometime.

# 68 NYwRiter94 @ 08/25/10 07:33 PM
The way I look at it, this could lead to a very down year next year, but starting in 2012, a great deal for football fans.

At this point, EA's looking to completely redo the Franchise Mode. So they strip it down and rebuild it this year, but it still doesn't have a lot of what we want--because their priority right now is building a foundation they can improve upon easily. This leads to a further decline in sales, which possibly leads to no extension of the exclusive license (whoohoo).

What that means is that in 2012, 2k Sports can finally come back and provide competition, and Madden's rebuilt modes will be complete. Presumably, we'll have two top-notch games in NFL 2k13 and Madden 13, and it will be the golden age of football games once again.

# 69 roadman @ 08/25/10 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYwRiter94

What that means is that in 2012, 2k Sports can finally come back and provide competition, and Madden's rebuilt modes will be complete. Presumably, we'll have two top-notch games in NFL 2k13 and Madden 13, and it will be the golden age of football games once again.
I think that is living in an ideal world.

2k hasn't produced a football game since 2k8 on NG. Also, 2k just let go about 40 people, so, if they need an NFL license, I don't know how they will secure one.

# 70 parrothead @ 08/25/10 09:06 PM
Once again Phil thanks for popping in, its refreshing to hear something from headquarters, thanks for being candid and honest. Tail kissing ends now.

# 71 RedZoneD25 @ 08/25/10 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nccomicfan
I'm a VERY cynical and negative human being in general (lol), and I see nothing wrong with what Phil said. The phrase "Rome wasn't built in a day.." comes to mind. Yes, they are likely tearing down franchise mode and putting in a brand new, likely somewhat bare mode to our desires. However, it is likely to be much deeper than anything we've seen on next-gen so far, which was entirely too bare in majority of our minds. The Show laid a great framework, and continually built upon it, and I expect the same for Madden 12s franchise mode. Enough to taper a lot of the criticism by showing that they are indeed making up for the lost years (06-09) and taking the steps to reclaim their glory.

However, this new "bare" mode SHOULD include most if not ALL of the same things that PS2 Madden 07 had, with a updated spin on it to keep it fresh. The only thing I see being a problem is that most of us who are diehard franchise players are in "prove it" mode. I know I am, but I respect that great things take time and I'm willing to trust that franchise IS a priority this year and in the coming years. The mode absolutely CANNOT be lacking basic (not to casuals, but to diehards) functions in a true NFL calendar. If it does, than a lot of us who are holding out could easily throw in the towel.

# 72 Danimal @ 08/25/10 10:21 PM
Quote:
If I answer this question aren't I admitting that it was done incorrectly?

I do feel like the direction we chose (server based) was the right direction to go. My personal theory on why the mode isn't used isn't because we lack a free agent system. I believe it has more to do with the nature of online and scheduling. Coordinating an entire league is hard work and as soon as one person loses interest, the rest of the league is sure to follow. If we can somehow crack the issue of scheduling and more flexible timing options, I think we might be on to something.

Phil
With all due respect I am going to disagree with your assessment. I know I'm not the target demo but i ran a M10 OF for 3 seasons with anywhere from 18-24 people involved, scheduling was not the biggest issue, nor was it free agency.

Lack of Sliders was the #1 issue in my opinion, the CPU didn't play a decent game and there was no way to fix this.

CPU Management AI was another issue, the CPU never filled their rosters out correctly. Every season I had to go in and make sure cpu teams had enough DB's, QB and Kickers to even field a team. It was not uncommon for a team to have 5 or 6 RB's and 2 CB's.

This was made an additional annoyance since it had to be done in game due to the uncertainty if the web site would work properly.

Lack of commish control was another big issue, the inability to simulate an individual game, reset it and sim it again if need be was an issue. In my league if someone couldn't make a game against another human, they dropped from the league so that owner could play the CPU. Adding the ability to go on Auto pilot would prevent this issue, switch it on the cpu plays for you until you switch it off.

I had a list of things that needed to be fixed and free agency and contracts weren't anywhere near the top. I'm sure you have survey data which supports your theory on why OF was an issue, but I wonder if the people pooled actually played OF.

You had to know going in that this was only going to be for the hard core players and that those gamers are going to demand more then a bare bones setup. The #1 complaint in my franchise was playing CPU games, no one wanted to do it.

If it's your teams goal to get OF out to the masses I think then you made the right choice in letting it go because I don't see how that ever happens. You would be better off expanding MUT to have some kind of ladder or league structure if that is what you're after.

Again this is just how I feel and is meant to be constructive, I'm not saying your theory is wrong I just don't think you're giving enough weight to who the audience for OF was (not what you thought it was) and the factor lack of options played into it's low usage.

# 73 PhillyJim76 @ 08/25/10 11:11 PM
Here's what I don't understand.

Even if it is perceived to be boring, why not have features like Restricted Free Agency, etc., in franchise mode? No one is ever going to say "oh my god, they put a crappy, boring restricted free agency in, i'm never going to buy this game again". However, someone could grow tired of the franchise mode lacking important aspects of the actual NFL and say, "you know what? i don't need to spend $60 on madden this year".

Another problem to me is, the AI for many things are just plain crazy. Why have a trading block (if there even is one this year) when the computer doesn't make trades? Things like that.

# 74 Vikes1 @ 08/26/10 01:36 AM
There was quite a bit of mention of the NHL game vs Madden in this thread, and the at least seemingly different approaches the two dev teams are taking.

I don't have anything particularly clever to say but...imo, NHL's recent success aren't due to any secret formula. I think it boils down to a few major things...1. Excellent gameplay, that does a very nice job of emulating the sport it represents. 2. They continue to deepen their already rather in depth franchise mode. 3. The dev team seems to be listening to their hardcore faithful fan base. By addressing reported AI issues, and adding features to their game asked for by the hardcore community.

This is not meant as an insult to the Madden team. Rather just my personal opinion of what I feel EA Canada is doing to have the NHL game considered as one of the very best sport games out there.

Again, only my opinion but....I don't believe the EA Canada team is dividing it's customer base into different camps...hardcore vs casual. I believe their just focused on making the most realistic playing game they can. And also a franchise mode that is attempted to be realistic in nature. Either you like it...or you don't. Seems to be working well for them.

# 75 TombSong @ 08/26/10 08:10 AM
I am being very respectful when I say this. This is my POV of Tiburon/EA.
Some of yall are not gonna agree with it, but it don't make it any less MY POV till something they do changes my mind about them. If a forum is only for posting a view everyone agrees with then there is no such thing as a forum................

EA
You say you understand and you want to do things right. You say the cycle time does not allow you to do everything you want. Yall seem to be lately moved to add/remove features based on "data" yall see that no one else sees. Yall have access to resources that other developers can only dream about.

I think of all that and wonder how is it that smaller developers are able to produce more in a cycle than you guys. This is the 6th year of Madden on the new consoles and the sum of the content in this game is less than the sum of older games.

Formation audibles
Coverage shells
Multiple hit tackles
Move more than one person in motion
custom playbooks
Animations
Oline/Dline game play
Overall player to player interactions
presentation/Halftime show
AI
Use of ESPN
Online leagues(done first by other devs)

When you look at all the above and look at what yall have done the last 6 years it does not square with anything you say. How can these other development teams do more with less ?

Game review sites never stop and ask the question, "What can you do in the current Maddens, and what features are in the current maddens that are not done already and in most cases better in the older football games ?"

I challenge ANYONE on this board to lay the answer to that question out for all to see.

It is frustrating to have to read excuse after excuse why x,y,z cant be done, cant be fixed and yet see other dev's doing these things. A bunch of Europeans got drunk one night and decided to make a physics based football game. Do you realize now they are only 1 to 2 years away from making a completely better game than a franchise that's been out for 20+ years ?

Now everyone close there eyes and imagine. If 2K team still had the NFL license, would they not have most if not all of these things in their game now, that we are still trying to see come to fruition in madden ?

When people bring these things up it ain't to hurt feelings or cause trouble, its born out of genuine frustration. I look at what NBA2K11 is gonna be this year and it leaves your mouth watering at what we could be holding in our hands today if they could make a NFL football game.

Madden aint complete garbage but man it is not evolving. Its a year to year transition from one group of problems to another group of problems. What was working on year is half working, broken or completely removed the next. Exploits seem to be the only things that remain consistent, from nanos, to super leaping LB's, to rocket catching, and now pump fakes.

Not much is added from year to year which makes you wonder even more, how can so much get broken from year to year.

I got more to say, but don't even feel like it now...as I type I realize the pointlessness of it all.

# 76 loccdogg26 @ 08/26/10 09:06 AM
Does anyone know if Phil reads the other threads by chance? I've owned every madden game that has come out but I'm going to pass this year I think.

# 77 rooney8 @ 08/26/10 05:25 PM
I never believed those who said Madden was really a two year cycle with only big improvments coming every second year but to me rebuilding franchise mode alone seems like more work then all this years features so hard to think otherwise.

# 78 djordan @ 08/26/10 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
I am being very respectful when I say this. This is my POV of Tiburon/EA.
Some of yall are not gonna agree with it, but it don't make it any less MY POV till something they do changes my mind about them. If a forum is only for posting a view everyone agrees with then there is no such thing as a forum................

EA
You say you understand and you want to do things right. You say the cycle time does not allow you to do everything you want. Yall seem to be lately moved to add/remove features based on "data" yall see that no one else sees. Yall have access to resources that other developers can only dream about.

I think of all that and wonder how is it that smaller developers are able to produce more in a cycle than you guys. This is the 6th year of Madden on the new consoles and the sum of the content in this game is less than the sum of older games.

Formation audibles
Coverage shells
Multiple hit tackles
Move more than one person in motion
custom playbooks
Animations
Oline/Dline game play
Overall player to player interactions
presentation/Halftime show
AI
Use of ESPN
Online leagues(done first by other devs)

When you look at all the above and look at what yall have done the last 6 years it does not square with anything you say. How can these other development teams do more with less ?

Game review sites never stop and ask the question, "What can you do in the current Maddens, and what features are in the current maddens that are not done already and in most cases better in the older football games ?"

I challenge ANYONE on this board to lay the answer to that question out for all to see.

It is frustrating to have to read excuse after excuse why x,y,z cant be done, cant be fixed and yet see other dev's doing these things. A bunch of Europeans got drunk one night and decided to make a physics based football game. Do you realize now they are only 1 to 2 years away from making a completely better game than a franchise that's been out for 20+ years ?

Now everyone close there eyes and imagine. If 2K team still had the NFL license, would they not have most if not all of these things in their game now, that we are still trying to see come to fruition in madden ?

When people bring these things up it ain't to hurt feelings or cause trouble, its born out of genuine frustration. I look at what NBA2K11 is gonna be this year and it leaves your mouth watering at what we could be holding in our hands today if they could make a NFL football game.

Madden aint complete garbage but man it is not evolving. Its a year to year transition from one group of problems to another group of problems. What was working on year is half working, broken or completely removed the next. Exploits seem to be the only things that remain consistent, from nanos, to super leaping LB's, to rocket catching, and now pump fakes.

Not much is added from year to year which makes you wonder even more, how can so much get broken from year to year.

I got more to say, but don't even feel like it now...as I type I realize the pointlessness of it all.
Great post!!!!!!!!!

# 79 DaSmerg @ 08/26/10 08:36 PM
Quote:
We didn't want to get specific with that blog because Madden 11 wasn't even out yet.

We're working hard to make meaningful changes to career modes as quickly as we can. It's a massive effort and I'm sure there will be immediate visibility to these changes in one product cycle. I'm not allowed to make promises at this early stage.

Phil
/me waves @ Phil.

It's always nice when developers let the fans into the "black box" that is the development of their favorite title/game. For this Madden fan it wasn't that long ago that fan contact was almost non-existent.

I just want to say thanks for coming to a place like OS to let us know what's going on. Keep it up and you should encourage the rest of the team to keep interacting.

That being said and with the pleasantries aside...

This story is getting old from you, i.e. the EA Sports Tiburon team, in regards to the development of Madden. This isn't meant as an attack or affront. This is one customer's opinion. I simply don't believe you.

Why? Because year after year now, since 2006, it's the same story. It's a short dev time, you have strict time lines, it's a complex game, new hardware to adjust to, my dog ate it. All with a sorry and a smile.

You, EA Sports Tiburon, keep asking me, die hard, hard core Madden fan, to suffer, to sacrifice yet year after year since 2006, I just don't see for what anymore. You, EA Sports Tiburon, keep re-releasing the same game. You can spin it anyway you want. Others will most assureedly disagree with me but this fan sees little difference, other than a few tweaks and some snazzy new graphics from the Madden game we were playing back on PS2.

The economy is not hurting Madden, it's not trending Madden sales down. The downward spike in the economy and the 2008 market correction is keeping it alive because capital is harder to come by. Capital that could be used to put together a competing product. Stealing market share is one of the simplest forms of sales. The marketing department should be able to understand that one.

I swear that if you guys announce a whole new direction with Madden, game play was your number one priority and that it is going to be rebuilt, from every line of code from the ground up, I will buy it and if it's good, I'll use every resource at my disposal to spread the good word, even if it doesn't have a franchise mode. For that, I'd be willing to continue to sacrifice, I'd be willing to continue to wait. I'd believe you, EA Sports Tiburon again.

# 80 PantherBeast_OS @ 08/27/10 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
Phil, while I appreciate the fact you're interacting here again, something you said in an earlier post caught my attention and bothers me.

You said you guys were being open and honest when you announced that franchise hadn't been touched this year. HOWEVER, you waited until JUST prior to E3 to make this announcement. If you wanted to be open and honest, why wasn't this disclosed MUCH earlier in the development cycle? You clearly KNEW even going into this cycle that this was your plan, but you chose to wait until there was sufficient buzz and hype created to drop the bomb. Marketing at its best (or worst).

Seems to me you were simply covering your backside, as I am sure you were aware of the backlash that would occur had that announcement come from someone else when the game was played at E3.

And yeah, the "short development cycle" excuse has worn too thin for me. As another poster said, OTHER companies (or even other EA titles) don't seem to have this ongoing time restraint issue as Tiburon does.

Want to make Madden good, and see sales increase? Simple...make Madden mirror what we see on Sunday as much as humanly possible, period. It's working well for other franchises, I don't know WHY this is so difficult for Tiburon to see. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel...just copy what you see when you watch an NFL game. You have almost unlimited access to them, more resources than ANY other developer, the time for excuses is long gone.

You surely must see from the boards (and not only here) and the sales that what you're doing just is not working...time to make a change.
Well you can't just blame Phil for not coming out way earlier and saying we ain't doing nothing to franchise mode this year. Even tho Phil is head man at EA. Phil has people over him that tells him what to do and they are the marketing department. They are the ones that decides when Ian or Phil or Josh can says things about what they have done or what they are doing. I'm sure if Phil had that chance to tell us way earlier before E3 about not doing anything to franchise this year then he would of done that. But the Marketing department just doesn't allow him to do that but when they are ready to allow him to release info. I agree it sucks having to wait for that kind of info right before E3. But there is nothing Phil could really do.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.