Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

Check out the latest NBA 2K11 Developer Insight, discussing the art of passing.

Quote:
"Steve Nash, John Stockton, Chris Paul, Jason Kidd. When you read these names one of the first things that should enter your mind is their amazing passing ability. They’ve got the innate gift of hitting players right where the ball needs to be. They not only complete the pass but also put receivers in position to make the next move. With this being said, has a player’s passer rating ever really mattered in a basketball videogame to this extent? Sure, it might have been factored into whether or not a player will be able to throw a good alley-oop or dish off a fancy pass. But in the end, couldn’t you throw a 35 foot chest pass to a covered receiver with the same accuracy using Steve Nash as you could with, say, Joel Przybilla? The answer is a resounding yes, but in 2K11, pass ratings matter in almost every aspect of throwing the ball. Whether you’re trying to thread the needle on a pass to the interior or you’re attempting to pass out of a shot, the passing ability of the ball-handler now matters. It determines whether or not the pass will be clean or will force the receiver to adjust his stance to catch the ball. The receiver might have to lean or the pass might force him to adjust so much that he bobbles the ball (which in turn can be retrieved by anyone). Many factors come into play here other than the pass rating, such as the distance to the receiver and how open the receiver is where he’s supposed to catch the ball. It’s amazing the difference this has made to the passing game and we’re very happy that pass ratings finally matter."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 23 @ 08/25/10 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choops4Life
Thanks for the welcome 23. Defense against passing? Definitely. AI players play passing lanes very intelligently so you have to be selective about your pass decisions. As a user, if you play tight defense on the receiver, often times a pass to this receiver will force a tough throw that could potentially take the receiver from his desired catch area. This includes passes when you're trying to thread the needle into the post. Passing in the post is not overpowering. Let's remember who you're passing with. Centers, Power Forwards. Pass ratings matter.
Yes sir... glad to have you aboard.

... Thanks for answering so quickly. Can't wait to try this out

BTW, The old 2k basketball games, I hated playing against the super 2k teams against you guys on the roster lol

# 102 Eman5805 @ 08/25/10 02:12 AM
Will the CP3's of the world get even sweet looking fake passes than the Joe Schmoes?

Also, will touch passes be more effective on fast breaks? And I'm afraid I can't recall from the Insight, but players can pass while in a full sprint without slowing down much right?

# 103 Choops4Life @ 08/25/10 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
So many Chicago fans on the 2K staff.

Welcome!
I grew up 3 hours from Chicago...about as close as you can get living in Iowa. Diehard Bulls fan, was a huge Bears fan until 90 (sorry, I saw Christian Okoye play when I was 10 and I jumped ship for life...Nigerian Nightmare...enough said). Bears are still #2 in my heart. Bulls though...through hard times and good times...always my team.

# 104 Choops4Life @ 08/25/10 02:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eDotd
Guys..

Just an FYI for guys coming in here asking random calf sleeve & headband questions.

Welcome, Zack. No mention of Ricky Davis in your introductory post? Good man.
It's Zach with an 'h', btw. Haha. And Ricky Davis had everything that you want in a baller. Points, assists, a pull-up jumper, defense, freakish athleticism. So maybe his deep jumper early was suspect and he had one bad blunder getting in the record books but Ricky was LEGIT!! Stats back it up...chances...he didn't get enough until his knees gave out 2 years ago. C'mon Son!! Watch the Ricky Davis youtubes and pay respect. (=

# 105 infam0us @ 08/25/10 02:25 AM
You guys might be joking but Ricky Davis was a beast in 2k9, especially on team up. Clippers were a threat.

# 106 23 @ 08/25/10 02:27 AM
Ricky was legit, his mind wasnt right though.

# 107 bearschicago @ 08/25/10 02:40 AM
Hey Zach just one question. Will there be lob passes into the post? What I mean is will the AI CPU front the post forcing users to decide if they want to throw a risky lob? I see players in the NBA front the post regularly throughout a game.

Some vids to show you what I mean:

I really enjoyed the insight btw.

# 108 Choops4Life @ 08/25/10 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domidomdomz
Welcome, sir. It's nice to have you 2KSports guys conversing with us here in the community.

Question: About Pass Targeting,

From this paragraph, did you mean icon passing was also wiped out? Or I may have misunderstood the paragraph. And what do you mean by pass targeting now relies almost solely on the direction of your stick?

Clarification from you will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Icon Passing is definitely still there. Shoot man, that's how I play!! Pass targeting is a term we use when you're not using "icon passing". So I'm basically saying, if you have your left stick pointed in a direction when you press the pass button, you're going to throw the ball to the player that is in the closest line to that direction.

# 109 Bornindamecca @ 08/25/10 02:43 AM
Thanks a lot, Zach. Great answers.

# 110 domidomdomz @ 08/25/10 02:47 AM
Quote:
Icon Passing is definitely still there. Shoot man, that's how I play!! Pass targeting is a term we use when you're not using "icon passing". So I'm basically saying, if you have your left stick pointed in a direction when you press the pass button, you're going to throw the ball to the player that is in the closest line to that direction.
Shoot, sir! That's also how I play. Icon passing all the way. I'm glad it's still there.

# 111 Choops4Life @ 08/25/10 02:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschicago
Hey Zach just one question. Will there be lob passes into the post? What I mean is will the AI CPU front the post forcing users to decide if they want to throw a risky lob? I see players in the NBA front the post regularly throughout a game.

Some vids to show you what I mean:

I really enjoyed the insight btw.
Yes. Players front in the post and lobs are thrown to them

# 112 bearschicago @ 08/25/10 02:49 AM
Quote:
Yes. Players front in the post and lobs are thrown to them
Wow nice! Adds another dimension to the game. It's just that I haven't see them in the vids yet so I wasn't sure.

Thanks for the quick response and hope to see you post in this forum often!

# 113 Choops4Life @ 08/25/10 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Ricky was legit, his mind wasnt right though.
Truth spoken. He grew up in the same town I did, same age. So do I got bias? Heck no my friend, Ricky had it all. (= Except consistency.

# 114 Choops4Life @ 08/25/10 02:55 AM
Quote:
Shoot, sir! That's also how I play. Icon passing all the way. I'm glad it's still there.
Shoot yeah! We're the shoot in this place!! Cuz we shoot all over everybody!! Haha...

# 115 23 @ 08/25/10 02:58 AM
Im looking forward to running a break with GP then using the right stick passing to do a fancy behind the back or through the legs to a trailing Kemp for a complete mind numbing highlight.

I hope the control isnt clunky.. and yes I can picture the scenario right now.. only if I could somehow lob it like that as well

Am I too far into fantasy island Zach??

# 116 B-Ball Life @ 08/25/10 02:58 AM
To Add Right Stick(Freestyle) Passing. Thats a big thing. it makes me wonder, with so many things brought over. we will have great basketball thats is similar yet so different. i cant wait for OCT.5th

# 117 domidomdomz @ 08/25/10 03:05 AM
Quote:
Truth spoken. He grew up in the same town I did, same age. So do I got bias? Heck no my friend, Ricky had it all. (= Except consistency.
Yeah, I remember his Cavs days. I kind of like him there but he was traded Boston. He was a monster and dunks all over the place, throwing down alley oops with Bron and Darius Miles, etc.

And this was the last great thing I witnessed from Ricky Davis.

# 118 LeBronistheKing @ 08/25/10 03:12 AM
The Art of passing insight was great. You seem to be doing a phenomenal job. After reading the insight I rewatched the Gamescom videos of the Heat vs Mavs and noticed a lot of the animations you must have been refering to. One in particular that impressed me was a bad pass into the post to Brendan Haywood that he had to jump for as well as a no look from D Wade to LeBron that Bron kinda bobbled. After seeing the Denver vs Orlando video that was released today though it did not seem as though there was the same amount of varied passing animations as in the Gamescom demo. However those animations from the Gamescom footage combined with what I read in the insight have me very excited.

# 119 bearschicago @ 08/25/10 03:22 AM
Quote:
Yeah, I remember his Cavs days. I kind of like him there but he was traded Boston. He was a monster and dunks all over the place, throwing down alley oops with Bron and Darius Miles, etc.

And this was the last great thing I witnessed from Ricky Davis.
I actually thought LeBron-Ricky-Miles-Boozer-Z could've made some noise if they were allowed to develop for a few years. But Boozer left after one season so that was that.

# 120 domidomdomz @ 08/25/10 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschicago
I actually thought LeBron-Ricky-Miles-Boozer-Z could've made some noise if they were allowed to develop for a few years. But Boozer left after one season so that was that.
Oh yeah, how can I forget the Cav Boozer. Matt Barnes also had the chance to make the team but he was cut for some reasons.

Well, that's Cleveland. Sorry, Clevelanders.

Anyway, let's get back to Passing System. lol

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.