Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

Check out the latest NBA 2K11 Developer Insight, discussing the art of passing.

Quote:
"Steve Nash, John Stockton, Chris Paul, Jason Kidd. When you read these names one of the first things that should enter your mind is their amazing passing ability. They’ve got the innate gift of hitting players right where the ball needs to be. They not only complete the pass but also put receivers in position to make the next move. With this being said, has a player’s passer rating ever really mattered in a basketball videogame to this extent? Sure, it might have been factored into whether or not a player will be able to throw a good alley-oop or dish off a fancy pass. But in the end, couldn’t you throw a 35 foot chest pass to a covered receiver with the same accuracy using Steve Nash as you could with, say, Joel Przybilla? The answer is a resounding yes, but in 2K11, pass ratings matter in almost every aspect of throwing the ball. Whether you’re trying to thread the needle on a pass to the interior or you’re attempting to pass out of a shot, the passing ability of the ball-handler now matters. It determines whether or not the pass will be clean or will force the receiver to adjust his stance to catch the ball. The receiver might have to lean or the pass might force him to adjust so much that he bobbles the ball (which in turn can be retrieved by anyone). Many factors come into play here other than the pass rating, such as the distance to the receiver and how open the receiver is where he’s supposed to catch the ball. It’s amazing the difference this has made to the passing game and we’re very happy that pass ratings finally matter."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Jano @ 08/26/10 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
They can disrupt everything your trying to do on defense but forcing you to catch passes a step or two from where you would like. Wether they are denying the ball or bodying a guy up. I found I had to use icon lead pass to create a passing lane OR time my pass so that it occurs just as the man receiver was making his cut.

It made for very exciting possessions if you know what I mean. You couldn't take a single pass off let alone a whole possession.
That's great to hear!!

# 162 jeebs9 @ 08/26/10 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBadazz
If fake pass is the "B" (on 360) button, what is the "call for pick" button? I love the pick and roll.
Yea I totally forgot to ask that. I was too exicted. That the button was coming back.

# 163 TheBadazz @ 08/26/10 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Yea I totally forgot to ask that. I was too exicted. That the button was coming back.
Mike answered it on post 160. It's still there, it's moved the another button.

# 164 Rocboyz101 @ 08/26/10 06:07 PM
Aw crap, just realized they took out the pick with the circle button. I used that ALOT, especially the pick and pop. Hope whatever button they moved it to is as inuitive as it was in the previous versions..

# 165 LeBronistheKing @ 08/26/10 06:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
If I can piggy back here. They really seemed to beef up the pass lane defense but also individual defenders who are great defenders....shhh. Playing the lakers for example with Kobe and artest you have to ve VERY selective with your passing on the wings. Especially initiating plays that you run often.

They can disrupt everything your trying to do on defense but forcing you to catch passes a step or two from where you would like. Wether they are denying the ball or bodying a guy up. I found I had to use icon lead pass to create a passing lane OR time my pass so that it occurs just as the man receiver was making his cut.

It made for very exciting possessions if you know what I mean. You couldn't take a single pass off let alone a whole possession.
Looking forward to taking advantage of Scottie Pippen and Michael Jordan's long wingspans just wreaking havoc on the defensive end Or as Tex Winter used to say "flying around like sleak doberman"

# 166 Kaanyr Vhok @ 08/26/10 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choops4Life
Players with high pass ratings have opportunities to throw bad passes in the same situations bad passers do, except that their likelihood is significantly decreased in every situation. Tight on-ball defense can force turnovers...especially if the on-ball defender has a size or wingspan advantage on the passer, which can lead to tipped passes.
Hmmmm I have a plan!! Thanks

# 167 bearschicago @ 08/26/10 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOausarOo
Will we be able to fake inbound passes?
I don't see why not. To catch those cheesers off balance.

# 168 Choops4Life @ 08/27/10 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
hi choops4life, i have one question. can you make it so that i can intentionally pelt a guy in the head with the ball like Tim got Ivan during Tuesday's lunch run? that would be cool. thanks and keep up the good work.
Man Tim got Ivan so bad. It's like the ball wrapped around his head for a moment before sky rocketing to the other side of the court.

# 169 Choops4Life @ 08/27/10 12:20 AM
Quote:
I don't like that they took the circle button away as a "pick" button.
Unless Beluba already posted something on this, you'll like what we do with picks for 2K11. The one button pick option is still there with the left shoulder button. (L1/LB). Trust me, a quick screen button IMO is a necessity

# 170 infam0us @ 08/27/10 12:22 AM
Did you guys remove the double team pass where the guy would you try to pass it behind his back. Nothing worse than getting doubled and your center attempts to pass out of double like that.

# 171 Choops4Life @ 08/27/10 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasmar
I have a question about 2k icon passing in general. Sometimes I use icon pass to get a 3 point shooter a good shot from downtown. What winds up happening is by the time they recieve the pass, the 3 pt shooter is far beyond the 3pt line nullifying the open shot.

Is this a user error on my part? Am I leading them too far away? Does anyone else have this problem?
Fixed for 2K11 Kasmar

# 172 Choops4Life @ 08/27/10 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by infam0us
Did you guys remove the double team pass where the guy would you try to pass it behind his back. Nothing worse than getting doubled and your center attempts to pass out of double like that.
Yep, gone!

# 173 domidomdomz @ 08/27/10 04:16 AM
Quote:
Fixed for 2K11 Kasmar
Does that mean the receiver of the pass positioned far beyond (like 1 or 2 feet) the 3 point line will automatically step forward?

# 174 jeebs9 @ 08/27/10 09:21 AM
Quote:
Unless Beluba already posted something on this, you'll like what we do with picks for 2K11. The one button pick option is still there with the left shoulder button. (L1/LB). Trust me, a quick screen button IMO is a necessity
Yea I knew that....I was the one that brought it up lol. But thanks any for being so active right now in this time of question. It makes sleeping easier...Or maybe not because I have to wait for it.

Hopefully I can get into the release party this year.

# 175 TheKasmar @ 08/27/10 02:14 PM
Quote:
Fixed for 2K11 Kasmar
Thanks, Great News!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by domidomdomz
Does that mean the receiver of the pass positioned far beyond (like 1 or 2 feet) the 3 point line will automatically step forward?
The reciever of the pass is usually on his way to the 3 point line. When the icon pass is thrown it's almost like he jumps back.

# 176 magicman32 @ 08/27/10 08:44 PM
Quote:
Yea I knew that....I was the one that brought it up lol. But thanks any for being so active right now in this time of question. It makes sleeping easier...Or maybe not because I have to wait for it.

Hopefully I can get into the release party this year.
Me too. I was wondering about the 1 button pick and was going to ask the same question. Glad it's still there. Thank goodness.

# 177 Jonesy @ 08/28/10 06:16 AM
Wow I can't believe i had been sleeping on this thread. So much awesomeness.

Just checking are there 'pre-loaded' touch passes in this year for quickly swinging around the perimeter?

On a side note with so many Chi-town guys in the office i can only imagine what the mood was like the day you guys found out you had the MJ exclusivity deal in place. The staffroom would have been rocking that day.

# 178 Choops4Life @ 08/28/10 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy
Wow I can't believe i had been sleeping on this thread. So much awesomeness.

Just checking are there 'pre-loaded' touch passes in this year for quickly swinging around the perimeter?

On a side note with so many Chi-town guys in the office i can only imagine what the mood was like the day you guys found out you had the MJ exclusivity deal in place. The staffroom would have been rocking that day.
The mood was insane, even for those who are not necessarily Bulls fans but fans of greatness. I'm a huge Bulls fan and even bigger MJ fan so you can imagine I had trouble standing up, but our art director (male) screamed like a little girl. It was a very awesome announcement.

As for your question about passing, the answer is yes. It's the same as it has been in previous NBA 2K titles, where you queue up a swing pass by pressing the pass button while the ball is in the air on the way to the 1st receiver.

# 179 jeebs9 @ 08/30/10 11:37 AM
I tweeted this a minute a ago. But decide to come up here and ask.

Will the give and go feature be making a return? It was L2 and R2 and then press X to get the ball back. But I think to post-up is now L2 and R2. Does that mean its done or been moved?

# 180 no juice @ 09/19/10 11:35 PM
Sounds like they are hitting the little things that were overlooked last year. Keep up the good work

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.