NBA 2K11 News Post

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 The 24th Letter @ 08/24/10 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh

3:55 concerns me a lot, looks more like more brain dead teammates for help D/rotations. Vince strolls right down the lane for a back door dunk from the top of the key and no one on the Nuggs even budge to make an effort to rotate into the paint. K-Mart isn't tight enough on Shard for him not moving to make sense, Nene is locked into some animation with Duhwight. Just terrible man.
I dont think your giving the human teamates enough credit here.....their decisions getting back on D and back to their assignments were VASTLY improved from 2k10....Half of those instances with the CPU pushing the ball wouldve been wide open corner J's in 2k10 alot of the time.

Also, on the 3:55 play...calling it a stroll in the lane is a little much...Ronnie got caught cheating and got beat on a quick back cut. Ill give you that K Mart started back peddling towards Shard (possibly playing the 3) ...but he was out of the play anyway unless he was looking to take a hard foul...

Dwight and Nene are interesting...You say he was stuck in an animation...but Dwight shifted his body during the drive putting Nene to his back. If he was in fact "sealing the drive", thats AMAZING AI....If not, he still had Nene on his back, im glad his body was respected...If Nene was in front of Dwight, itd be a different story...

# 142 LeBronistheKing @ 08/24/10 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever_Young83
"OMG it looks like 2K10" Ummm 2K never said the game was getting plastic surgery, they said it was about polish. That means making things look better, not lying saying the game was done from scratch. There is way to much over analyzing on this video like it's supposed to be perfect.

The reason why there has been negative reaction is because there are people that were more impressed by the Gamescom Heat vs Mavs footage and are hoping that this footage is from a much older build. It is never going to be perfect but if it's a newer build then the Gamescom footage then it should not appear to have less animations and less fluid movement. That would not make sense.

# 143 jlbrown143 @ 08/24/10 08:46 PM
wow....all I can say is wow.........lol

some of you fellas on this site are smokin crack for real....
there is soooooooooooo much new stuff going on in this video....wow
People are saying they only see the same old stuff from 2k10...really?

2K....... just know that some of us really see the great improvements you guys are making .....no new passes?....really? the video starts off with a new pass in the first like 15 seconds of game play( to carter on the break(bounce pass)...geesh!!! look at the video again people...lol I see so much new stuff happening...the substitutions are way better than 2k10 and towards the end of the game dwight howard is even giving instructions to his sub coming in the game...wow....seriously ??? I saw a lob pass to the post ...help defense is waaaaay better...what are yall lookin at? court awareness is better ...foot-planting is better....wow is all I can say to people saying there is nothing new to see....really? good job 2k !!

# 144 ehh @ 08/24/10 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I dont think your giving the human teamates enough credit here.....their decisions getting back on D and back to their assignments were VASTLY improved from 2k10....Half of those instances with the CPU pushing the ball wouldve been wide open corner J's in 2k10 alot of the time.
The transition D was definitely better, I'm still concerned with half court help and rotations MOSTLY because it's so different for the user and the CPU. If it's a little lackluster or too perfect than it's tolerable but the large difference between the user and CPU sucks.

# 145 Krodis @ 08/24/10 08:51 PM
Ronnie seem content to settle for contested mid-range jumpers.

Clearly the human player is broken in 2k11.

# 146 ifriedrice @ 08/24/10 08:52 PM
Cheerleaders running out from and into the tunnel. Uhhh... why'd they change it from last year?

# 147 LeBronistheKing @ 08/24/10 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrown143

2K....... just know that some of us really see the great improvements you guys are making .....no new passes?....really? the video starts off with a new pass in the first like 15 seconds of game play( to carter on the break(bounce pass)...geesh!!! look at the video again people...lol I see so much new stuff happening...the substitutions are way better than 2k10 and towards the end of the game dwight howard is even giving instructions to his sub coming in the game...wow....seriously ??? I saw a lob pass to the post ...help defense is waaaaay better...what are yall lookin at? court awareness is better ...foot-planting is better....wow is all I can say to people saying there is nothing new to see....really? good job 2k !!

Once again the fact is that the Gamescom footage had more great improvements over this video including more new passes and animations. It is obvious that there are improvements over 2K10 that are present in this new video. However those improvements are more noticable and prevelant in the already released Gamescom Heat vs Mavs videos. All anyone is saying is that this video is hopefully an older build than those were.

# 148 The 24th Letter @ 08/24/10 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
The transition D was definitely better, I'm still concerned with half court help and rotations MOSTLY because it's so different for the user and the CPU. If it's a little lackluster or too perfect than it's tolerable but the large difference between the user and CPU sucks.
I hear you man.... time will tell..

# 149 NYCDaFuture @ 08/24/10 08:57 PM
1st off Ronnie is not even that good so let's get that off real quick.. 2nd at 1:05 mark that was a bs canimation just like 2k10.. Hopefully they take that out.. 3rd Ronnie obviously was trying to shoot alot of jumpers cuz there was instances where he could have easily dunked it but he chose not to.. U not foolin anybody Ronnie lmao.. N y is it on allstar level?? That is the problem.. Put it on Halloffame or superstar at least..

All in all i really like da video n I see their improvements.. Keep up da good work 2k n put online rank for halloffame or superstar at da very least.. Ghost

# 150 youngfaze01 @ 08/24/10 08:57 PM
The keep making Q-Rich with brown hair, which he doesn't have, besides that the gameplay looks smooth.

# 151 jfsolo @ 08/24/10 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrown143

This is how I feel as well. Every video release will always have the entire spectrum of opinions applied to it. It will range from, "Looks exactly like last year" to "Wow, they've improved a grip of things this year" Just like you, I'm in the latter camp, so I'm very pleased, and won't spend any energy arguing with anyone who doesn't see what I see.

# 152 hoodkid205 @ 08/24/10 09:00 PM
i liked jameer's 3 his footplantin was nice since he had momentum to his left

# 153 jlbrown143 @ 08/24/10 09:00 PM
well all I will say to you Mr chance is that if I went off of the things you say in some of your posts, I wouldn't even buy the game, good thing I know what to look for because obviously you haven't looked close enough at what is really being displayed in the video...all I'm saying to you and some of the other fellas is really look at the video before trying to critique it it may be that you MISSED some things the first time around.....

# 154 strekedesire @ 08/24/10 09:04 PM
Is anyone still a little concerned at the amount of perimeter contact on the ballhandler? I'm sure the NBA doesn't allow that much bumping without calling fouls. :

Anyhow, here's what I gathered from that video (sorry, it's going to be rather extensive list).

Pros:
-Much-improved presentation, looks so much more like what we see on TV.
-Smoother overall movements.
-at the :10 mark, nice bounce pass by Nelson to a running Carter on the fastbreak.
-Sometimes impressive AI offensive awareness, as evidenced by Dwight's step through move.
-Player faces have been improved a bit.
-White sleeves are now white!
-Addition of new momentum shots - will expand the overall offensive repertoire.
-Better commentary - talking a bit more in depth about certain aspects of the game. Some of Kellogg's old lines are recycled, but that's understandable.
-Some nice new passing animations, like Pietrus' running overhand throw to Nelson at 2:22.
-Vince Carter telling the crowd to get louder - nice addition to improve atmosphere.
-Arena lighting is better, brighter now.
-AI are now deflecting passes. Better.
-Much better post entry pass by Billups at 4:10.
-Nice interaction between Howard and Bass (as you guys have pointed out already).
-Nice help by Bass at 5:26, coming out to contest J.R. Smith's shot after getting by Carter.
-Realistic buzzer sound! Good stuff.

Cons:
-at the 0:08 mark, the animation with Billups and Nelson needs to go - it was one of the ways the CPU could cheat to get back on defense, stopping a running player's momentum. and plus, contact like that on a fastbreak would most likely be called a foul anyway.

-Spacing is still a bit of a problem. It's not really the size of things, but rather where players are placed on the court. Too many times the ballhandler will go right up to the post player to give him the ball, then go away. Examples are at 0:29 and 1:55. The second one is especially bad, not only because Carter gives Howard the ball while right in front of him, but because Afflalo doesn't even bother to try to double Howard, even though they're so close together. And then the ball goes back to Carter, with absolutely no consequence for passing the ball into the post while so close together.

-While the offball movement by Vince Carter at 0:44 to 0:48 is ok, it seems when that occurs the rest of the team isnt doing anything else, not giving Nelson a second option. Pietrus and Howard are just standing around watching. They only start to move again when Carter gets the ball.

-At 0:55, after crossing the 3 pt line, Howard is suddenly turned around and in a semi-perimeter defensive stance. This reeks heavily of same issue as the user not being able to control fully the movements of players on defense. In 2k10, I distinctly remember running downcourt and my player suddenly turning around in a defensive stance after crossing the 3 pt line, regardless of my control inputs. Then I'd have to struggle to make my player start jogging again instead of sliding around in that defensive stance. This needs to be fixed.

- At 1:06, we see Carmelo being sucked into a contact animation shot. Why is this still here? I thought all the "being sucked into a two-person animation" was gone?

-You can again see the spacing problems at 1:20. After Nelson passes the ball to Howard, the user with Carmelo goes to try to strip the ball. At this time, Nelson should be open somewhere, but instead he's far away running BEHIND Pietrus and not in a position to receive a pass. I'd think the CPU would try to punish the user for doubling..There's another issue here: How can Howard still be so calmly dribbling and backing down Nene when there's a secondary defender right in his face, trying to strip the ball? Maybe it's a true representation of Howard's real-life poor offensive awareness and passing, but I think not.

- When the user using Billups goes to shoot at the 1:40 mark, why does Rashard Lewis not even put a hand up? Poor CPU defensive awareness, not even a contest when in the vicinity of a shot. Looks like paint defense still isn't much improved in that regard. The CPU should punish the user for making a poor decision such as that - by sending that shot back.

-At 2:11, when the overhead pass by Billups is sent to Carmelo, Carter is just standing in a position where he could try to intercept the pass but instead does nothing. He even waits until Carmelo receives the pass to then go try to find where he is. Poor defensive awareness in this situation, but in others the CPU would try to intercept that pass. Odd.

-During the full court overhead pass at 2:18, the CPU teammates of the user don't even recognise that there's a man open downcourt.
-At 3:27, again there is a player being sucked into a contact shot animation. Look at how, when Carter receives the pass, he is semi-open. But then when he goes for the shot, Kenyon Martin slides backwards(!) into Carter to force a contested shot. This needs to go.

-Like everyone's being saying, that Martin dunk is horrendous. While the defense did converge on him after the offensive rebound, they couldn't do anything to disrupt him. That's a little worrying.

Honestly, even with the issues I pointed out, overall I think it's an improvement over 2k10. But I'm probably going to get a lot of flak for my post, seeing as its a list with a lot of cons...actually I'm sure I'll be getting a lot of flak for this post, whether its for the content or for the length.

Again, I apologise for the length and format (cause it's tough to read), but I felt I had to say something.

# 155 23 @ 08/24/10 09:10 PM
Please just comment on the video and move on.

This release there wont be alot of warnings.... because we wont be allowing any personal attacks and too many way off topic posts

# 156 Kaanyr Vhok @ 08/24/10 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth12349
only thing i didn't like was that 1:05 -1:08 was a foul
You have no calls like that in every game

# 157 Rocboyz101 @ 08/24/10 09:14 PM
Really hated that kmart dunk..looks like vince carter plays like he did in his toronto days just like in 2k10. Other than that the game look good. Liked the offball movement. Good to see the pick and roll being challenged. Still buying this, but my expectations are probably at a more normal level now.

EDIT- Hate that they didn't call that one foul..wasn't a foul in 2k10 either and its soooo obviously a foul.

# 158 coolcras7 @ 08/24/10 09:15 PM
we need someone to tell us which video is more on par with what we are going to get in the final build in 2k11 this video is on sim/allstar and IMO the ai played better defense in the Heat vs Mavs which was on default/pro video I am sure that the fact that Ronnie was playing had something to do with that not much because he kinda sucked but at least he took jump shots, but that Billup post up is still bothering me and the fact that Howard did not assist Nelson and force Billups to pass out is troubling in the Heat video the AI swarmed in on the post player.

# 159 23 @ 08/24/10 09:15 PM
Its time to just let some of the pettiness go

If you dont care for someone's opinion ignore list them

or just skip over it, but every thread cannot turn into a conversation about misunderstandings and why we're bumping heads.

Guys just talk about what you see and leave it at that, whether you agree or not. There is plenty to talk about other than that stuff.

# 160 Epiffani @ 08/24/10 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBronistheKing
While I agree that there was a larger wealth of game footage in the Gamescom videos that does not account for the fact that while, yes some of my concerns (overhead passing) were present in those videos. The frequency in which they occured was no where near the level that was displayed in this new footage. Overall the Gamescom videos had more varied pass animations executed in the correct situations as well as bad pass animations all of which are not present in this new video. In addition yes the player models looked more true to life in the Gamescom footage I am not the only person to point this out.

You have to use context in the situations where the overhead passes were attempted, and also factor in player proximity, and the user just making bad passes. An example is the first over head pass that was attempted at the 0:05 mark by the user. Now Chauncey could have attempted a chest pass from that distance, which could have possibly increased the likelihood of a completed pass (not likely), but a cross court pass like that with a defender fronting deserved to be picked off 10 out of 10 times no matter what type of pass is attempted. I'm not about to go through all of the scenarios in which an overhead pass was executed in this video because there were alot, my point was that the overhead passes DID exist in the build that you apparently have high praise for since the only that was wrong with those vids were the "high glass layups, and cosmetic things." As for the player models looking more true to life in the Gamescom build, I'll chalk that up, and put that in the subjectivity category because we are not only talking about different teams, but also quality that is virtually night and day in comparison to something recorded with a camera and capture hard/software.

Quote:
If I'm supposed to reel it in a bit then what is the point of posting on this open forum. I'm the first to applaud 2K when they do something positive, but I'm also as a dedicated fan quick to point out where they should improve.
Calm down because I've pointed out things that I didn't like about the video as well as my likes. I just thought that:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBronistheKing
the only thing really wrong from the footage from Gamescom was the high off the glass lay ups and cosmetic innaccuracies with accessories
you were being a bit extreme to try and substantiate a claim that the gamescom build was "light years ahead of 2K10" while this video looked to be "slightly improved" (your words) when in fact they have way more in common than they do in differences.I really don't know what type of illusion the various short clips have created for some, but I'm virtually watching the same 2K11 from those gamescom clips (give and take some MINOR things) with different teams, a better user (which would explain lesser TO's), and with better quality. Sorry, those short clips from gamescom don't scream "light years ahead" for me.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.