Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports has just posted another NBA 2K11 Developer Insight, going over the controls in the game.

Quote:
"The number of moves you can pull off in NBA 2K11 is pretty insane. When you get your hands on the game this fall, one of the first things I’d recommend to everyone is to navigate to the Main Menu and go to --> Options --> My Controller --> Advanced Controls. Here, we’ve detailed most of the major things that we’ve added to the on-court experience. Of course, in typical 2K fashion, we’ve left some of the moves off the list for you to discover on your own as you play the game. As a game designer, one of the ways I’ve always gone about my work is to study real NBA games and translate what I see into game mechanics. For me, if I can pull off everything I see on TV in our game, then I’m pretty happy with the controls. And with NBA 2K11, there’s very little (if anything) that you can’t do on the sticks to replicate your favorite real life moments. I remember being in motion capture with a few of the swingmen we brought in to do some new dribble moves and shots. Walking the guys through what we wanted them to do, on more than one occasion they would say, “that’s a great move, I’m gonna start using that” or “man, you guys got every move in the book in this game!” Coming from NBA-caliber talent, that’s a nice acknowledgement to how in-depth some of the moves in our game have become."

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Ermolli @ 08/26/10 09:31 PM
Amazing blog.

# 102 domidomdomz @ 08/26/10 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ermolli
Amazing blog.
Limos and cookies for Beluba!

# 103 JulesMendoza @ 08/26/10 10:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSapida
I can answer this one. Mike's recording some games right now for you guys

The answer is Yes. Under Controller Settings you have the option for your Shot Stick command to be either Absolute or Camera Relative.

Camera Relative is what we've always had, where stick input takes into account your player's facing, movement, and camera angle. Absolute gives you a one-to-one command for up/down/left/right stick movement.

As an example, in Absolute Control, Up is always the Euro Layup and Down is always the Spin Layup - regardless of camera angle.
Thanks man! I can breathe better now. haha

# 104 PRAY IV M3RCY @ 08/26/10 10:21 PM
man this actually has me excited to go to practice mode.

# 105 bateman11 @ 08/26/10 10:34 PM
Wow is all i can say. this is everything i hoped theyd do wit hthe game and more.

one question though, how do you trigger the signature gathers?

# 106 Shakedowncapo @ 08/26/10 10:36 PM
Pretty sure its Triangle/Y

# 107 DayZ @ 08/26/10 10:43 PM
Haha Hard Fouls sound fun

I finally get to rage if the CPU/Player is being cheese

# 108 domidomdomz @ 08/26/10 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DayZ
Haha Hard Fouls sound fun

I finally get to rage if the CPU/Player is being cheese
I believe those hard fouls already exists in 2K10. Initiated when contesting a layup or dunk attempt by pressing Turbo + Jump. But I may be wrong. I would be pleased if there will be flagrant/technical fouls this year for more realism.

# 109 bearschicago @ 08/26/10 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domidomdomz
I believe those hard fouls already exists in 2K10. Initiated when contesting a layup or dunk attempt by pressing Turbo + Jump. But I may be wrong. I would be pleased if there will be flagrant/technical fouls this year for more realism.
David Stern doesn't allow them.

I don't understand why he doesn't at least allow double technicals or double fouls.

# 110 domidomdomz @ 08/26/10 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearschicago
David Stern doesn't allow them.

I don't understand why he doesn't at least allow double technicals or double fouls.
Oohh. I see. He's too conscious about the NBA's image.

# 111 J_Posse @ 08/26/10 10:56 PM
Quote:
Won't be in the game since the NBA won't allow it. There are already technical fouls in the game.

Loved both developer insights this week. Can't wait to try out Tony and Manu with all these advanced moves. I'm hoping that they added Manu's "signature" step-back gather.

# 112 Eman5805 @ 08/26/10 10:59 PM
Quote:
Oohh. I see. He's too conscious about the NBA's image.
He's probably why there's no more NBA Street too. Though, granted, Homecourt was bad enough to end the entire series on its own.

# 113 bearschicago @ 08/26/10 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman5805
He's probably why there's no more NBA Street too. Though, granted, Homecourt was bad enough to end the entire series on its own.
NBA Street 2 was my favorite. I love how you can actually control when to release the shot. You can even control when to release layups. For a PS2 game, it was ahead of its time.

# 114 VDusen04 @ 08/26/10 11:44 PM
Quote:
NBA Street 2 was my favorite. I love how you can actually control when to release the shot. You can even control when to release layups. For a PS2 game, it was ahead of its time.
My little brothers are playing NBA Street 2 as we speak. I've jumped back on it just for fun and I have to admit, it's still pretty entertaining.

# 115 bearschicago @ 08/26/10 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
My little brothers are playing NBA Street 2 as we speak. I've jumped back on it just for fun and I have to admit, it's still pretty entertaining.
After not playing for a couple years, I've been playing it a lot the past week. It's a blast!

# 116 eko718 @ 08/27/10 12:34 AM
Quote:
After not playing for a couple years, I've been playing it a lot the past week. It's a blast!
I was actually feeling a bit nostalgic and tried to throw that on the other day! Problem is, the 360 doesn't support it....

# 117 bearschicago @ 08/27/10 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eko718
I was actually feeling a bit nostalgic and tried to throw that on the other day! Problem is, the 360 doesn't support it....
Well I play on a PS2 so I don't have that issue.

# 118 SaltyBlackWorm @ 08/27/10 01:02 AM
NEXT INSIGHT: MY PLAYER. . .i swear 2K if this isn't good. . .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgxyWMn7SHg

# 119 pdx_24 @ 08/27/10 01:45 AM
A couple of things that really stood out to me and had me cautiously optimistic:

Quote:
The last thing I want to mention about shooting is for all those Shot Button fans out there. One of our AI engineers absolutely refuses to use the Shot Stick. Why? I’ll never know. But to each his own. He spent some time beefing up the shot face button, and for those in the same boat as him, you’ll be very happy he did. The Shot Button now has access to just about all the shots available on the Shot Stick. So when you keep your Left Stick pressed toward the basket on a drive and hit the Shot Button, you’ll get the same shot that the AI would get in that instance, rather than just the basic set of shots that you got in previous iterations. We then decided to take it a step further. If you quickly move the Left Stick in various directions, just prior to hitting the Shot Button, you can manually control your shot types just like Shot Stick users can. So for example, to get a stepback jumper: drive across the lane, quickly move the Left Stick away from the basket, and press Shoot.
I'm going to LOVE this if this is true. I'm a strictly Shot Button user. I really tried giving the Shot Stick a chance, but it was just awkward to me. Plus, I like to jump pass (cardinal sin, I know) and holding the Shot Button while pressing the pass button is much easier than holding the Shot Stick and somehow reaching for the pass button.

I have never understood why we can't have the same functionality using the Left Stick + Shot Button as the Shot Stick. If a user holds the Left Stick left (relative to a controlled player) and press the Shot Button, momentum should dictates that the player should drift left shooting the ball. Same for drifting right, leaner, different type of layups, different type of dunks, etc. We can already do this with Step Back jumpers, so why not with the other shot types as well? I think using the Left Stick + Shot Button is much more intuitive than using the Shot Stick if this can be achieved.

And for those that are strictly Shot Button users, I'd love to have the options of using the Right Stick as Icon Passing. Instead of now hitting the Right Shoulder button to trigger Icon Passing, why not just let us map the Right Stick to pass to various positions? For example, simply hit up on the RS would pass the ball to a PF, hit right to pass to a SF, etc. That would make decision making with regards to passing so much quicker.

Quote:
And for those of you worried about high volume scoring in the paint, let me put your mind to rest now. People continually forcing shots inside will pay the consequences this year. We’ve spent a lot of time balancing the inside/outside game and if you want to be successful in NBA 2K11, you’re going to need to distribute your shots evenly and work for high percentage looks.
This is most important to me of all. Second is the ball handling of big men that look like they can play point with their ability to pass and handle the ball. NBA 2K has been so cheesers friendly primarily because of points in the paint (every player can pass extremely accurately and can go anywhere on the court unimpeded). The game should reward sim play, and punish the hell out of cheese play. But I've heard this song too many times before (that points in the paint is now fixed), that I'm going to take this with a spoon full of salt.

# 120 23 @ 08/27/10 02:08 AM
Man there is so much stuff in this insight, its almost like .. nah nevermind

This is something I have to read over and over

Oh and the blurb about having animations and controls KUDOS!!

It had to be possible, I just didnt believe it to be any other way.

Pretty much what i've seen and heard has surpassed my expectation and has given me that 2k7 feeling all over again

...and if IF IF, the AI is as presented, then I can finally lay down Inside Drive.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.