Home
NHL 11 News Post

Well... it's time. Those of you who have spent your summer crying out for BAGM information should find many of the answers here. I spent a good deal of time at the May community event tinkering with GM mode, so I have no shortage of nuggets of BAGM knowledge to share. I'd like to think there wasn't a stone unturned in my explorations, but I'm sure as I spend more time with the full version of the game I'll discover a thing or two that slipped by me...

With that, let's start with an overview of the key new features/improvements:

• CHL Integration
• RFA/UFA rules per the CBA
• Preseason
• Revamped trade AI for more realistic CPU/CPU and User/CPU transactions
• Ability to trade up to 5 years worth of picks
• Improved trade screen with ability to make up to 5-for-5 deals
• New stats panels in BAGM hub screen by scrolling with R-stick
• Authentic draft pick ownership

Sounds good, eh? But much of this was previously announced and what I'd like to do is give the OS community some insight into some of the finer details that await us in NHL11 BAGM. So without further delay…

CHL/Player Rights/Draft

To me, this is biggest addition for the long term value of Be A GM mode. With the integration of the CHL and its players, the inclusion of NHL rights for previously drafted players was a logical next step. However, the EA Canada team didn’t stop there… perhaps your team recently drafted a European prospect that remained overseas for further seasoning (e.g., Tedenby, Pajaarvi-Svensson, or Granlund). Provided the league in which they play is in NHL11, these players will be tied to the NHL clubs per the rules of the CBA and imported into your BAGM. In addition, we will be able to draft real prospects from the CHL and all five European leagues, along with created prospects from other regions.

Which leads nicely to the subject of draft re-entry and rights expiration… NHL teams hold player rights for two years, after which a player will re-enter the draft or become a free agent (depending on his age) if he is not signed. So as the GM of an NHL franchise, you’ll have to make the call on when to sign your draft picks in accordance with CBA rules. Sign your top picks right away to give them a shot at the NHL club or let them develop for a year or two before committing. Remember, you’ll have plenty of decisions to make regarding your draft picks, as the entry draft is now an authentic 7 rounds.

Authentic RFA/UFA Rules

I can’t possibly approach the level of detail provided in the recent In the Crease blog, so I won’t even try! During my brief foray into the re-signing phase at the community event, I was able to get a small glimpse of the depth of this much requested feature. RFA status is true to the NHL CBA, with qualifying offers required to retain the player’s rights or you can offer an extension from the start. However, you must make a qualifying offer or agree to a new contract with all RFAs prior to the start of UFA (July 1), otherwise they become unrestricted free agents.

Qualified RFAs remain property of the team but are subject to potential offer sheets with the authentic compensation rules. My brief test run with RFA/UFA in May was with the Rangers. My notes reveal I was able to re-sign Marc Staal to a 4-year, $14M ( $3.5M/yr) extension as an RFA, a fair deal for all parties involved if say so myself. I was tempted to offer him an 8-year deal, but I decided not to push my luck… yes, the maximum contract offer is now 8 years. Unfortunately, that testing session ended before I could submit any offer sheets…

A few final points of interest, the correct December 1st eligibility deadline for RFA holdouts to sign a contract is in. If a restricted free agent does not sign by 12/1, he cannot play in the NHL during that season. Are you listening Bobby Ryan? Also, we will be able to trade the rights of tendered RFAs (think Dan Hamhuis to Philly then Pittsburgh). Finally, the new team contract screen is flat-out top-notch. Anyone familiar with CapGeek should instantly see some similarities. Players are clearly designated as signed or unsigned and color-coded by status. Yearly cap hits are displayed in an easy to track chart to assist cap-conscious GMs in building their organization.

Preseason Games

New for NHL11 is a preseason schedule. If my notes are correct, it consists of four games against NHL opponents. These were implemented to let the user get a look at their prospects before they make roster decisions regarding returning players to the AHL or CHL. So yes, authentic rules apply, and we will have the ability to return signed CHL players to Junior if eligible. If it is done before they play 10 NHL games, it will not count as a year of his contract.

Revamped Trade AI and Interface

While it is impossible to make a definitive judgment on CPU trade AI from such a small sample size, the results were encouraging. Without having the time to simulate entire seasons, I have to rely on what I was told -- the frequency of trades and players being placed on waivers was greatly reduced when compared to NHL10.

While simulating the 2010 draft, I saw only a handful of CPU/CPU trades; Robert Nilsson & 4th for Chuck Kobasew & 2nd and Cory Sarich & 2nd for Sami Salo & 4th were two deals I noted. When using the Rangers, I had Donald Brasher on the trade block during the draft; during the third round, Carolina called me to offer Casey Borer (a mid-70s 20-something D-man of C/B-/C potential) for Brashear and my 2011 2nd round pick. Eager to dump Brashear, but reluctant to part with a high pick, I countered with my 2010 4th rounder in place of the 2nd and it was accepted. Seems reasonable enough, right?

Now to reveal why I chose to test with the Rangers… I wanted to see if I could offload Wade Redden and his albatross of a contract. And the answer is I could not, at least not during the draft, and this is despite him having an overall rating above 80. I tried to match up team wants, tried to find teams with cap room, tried to ask for mid 70s guys with average potential… all rejected. Perhaps if I had some more time I could have gone for an insignificant late pick or a career AHLer, but I can say I wasn’t able to get anything of value for him during my attempts.

While wheeling & dealing, I took note of the improved trade interface, which includes the ability to scroll through additional player information and ratings by using the R-stick. Very helpful and a welcome addition for anyone who remembers trying to access info when putting together trades in NHL10. I was disappointed to see that when the CPU accepts your offer, the trade still goes through. An additional prompt for the user to accept the trade would’ve been a nice addition. But don’t worry, that information will reach the right people…

And not to gloss over it, but we can now trade future draft picks for up to five seasons, with future picks having less trade value the further you go out (although 1st rounders are pretty valuable regardless of year). Also, five assets per team can be traded, so best of luck in putting together a huge offer to pry away a superstar or in blowing up your underachieving team in a massive multi-player deal with virtual Darryl Sutter…

BAGM Main Hub

This one is hard to do without visuals, so if I find any screens, I’ll get them in… The BAGM main hub was tweaked to provide more information on one easy to navigate screen. A stats panel on the right displays a wealth of data from standings to scoring leaders and other stats leaders. The bottom of the screen now features games and scores from around the league. I believe it is scores only for now (no expandable box scores), but at least we can now see what our rivals are doing. It should add a little spice to the playoff chase…

Draft Pick Ownership

A slick (and unexpected) addition, this user option when setting up your BAGM accounts for real life trades of draft picks when “authentic” is selected (eg, the Kessel trade). “Default” results in every team having all of its picks at the start of the mode. Very cool attention to detail by the NHL team for those of us who like things to be as accurate as possible.

Final Thoughts

I know it was difficult listening to my broken record of “don’t worry, there’s no shortage of BAGM improvements”, so I hope it was worth the wait. I tried to be as comprehensive as possible considering this is based only off my time with NHL11 in May. I’m sure there are a few tidbits I missed either in writing or in researching… for example, while digging through GM mode, I discovered we are now able to edit positions, height/weight, handedness, and NHL rights. (Editor’s note: I believe editing is still limited to the user team during BAGM, however it’s fair game from the main roster management screen.) While some issues from NHL10 require long-term evaluation to see if they were truly resolved, I am confident that I’ll be telling my EASHL teammates on multiple occasions that I’ll be a few minutes while I finish my franchise game.

Feel free to post questions and I’ll answer what I can, when I can. Remember, it’s community event impressions only for now, so I don’t have sim results.

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Qb @ 09/03/10 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead73
If you create a bunch of CAP's and put them into the chl, would they be drafted along with the other players? My buddies and i always create our team on the game, but i have always wanted to have us all inserted into the draft...
Hmm... good question. Speaking hypothetically, I assume the answer is yes, provided you make your CAPs under 20 years of age. I believe there is code in the game relating to age and draft eligibility. Again, I'm just guessing on this...

# 42 puckhead73 @ 09/03/10 01:57 PM
thats kinda what i was thinking. it makes sense that it would work that way, but it wouldn't be the first time a game didn't stand to reason. I just think it would be fun to go through be a pro or beagm with my friends players starting in the same spot as my player, and compare how their careers are, i know i can just insert them before i start,but to see how they are all drafted and by whom is what intrigues me.

# 43 Money99 @ 09/03/10 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Didn't Redshirt at one point last year mention something about that being something they wanted to look into about possibly implementing? I could be wrong but I'm almost positive an NHL dev mentioned that was something they wanted to possibly pursue.
I remember that too. I think he kind of just asked what people thought of the idea.
I really hope they implement this in the future.

# 44 06woz @ 09/03/10 02:27 PM
Depending on the first roster update, I'm gonna have to do some work.

THN has a sweet list of the top prospects from each team. I am gonna make sure the top 5 for each team are in there(since prospects are one of the major draws to hockey for me). Then I wouldn't be surprised if I went 10 seasons into a BeAGM this year.

# 45 Mayday Birdland @ 09/03/10 02:36 PM
So are we able to get players from European leagues or can we just get prospects from there?

# 46 Qb @ 09/03/10 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday Birdland
So are we able to get players from European leagues or can we just get prospects from there?
Just prospects for now. BAGM is not a fully integrated "world of hockey". But Gurn did say that's the direction they'd like to go in the future, even if it would be very difficult to do correctly.

# 47 Vikes1 @ 09/03/10 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
You know what would rock? If your BaGM and BAP were transferable to next years game.
I hope we see that for NHL12. Nothing sucks more than building up a franchise or BAP just to start from scratch 12 months later.
Excellent suggestion Money!

Especially if they continue to have no other option than an 82 game season.

In fact, if they did make things transferable, even given a choice, I'd possibly stay will a 82 game season. I wonder which would be easier to implement?...customizable season length, or being able to transfer from one game to another?

# 48 TDKing @ 09/03/10 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLandPESFan
I would have traded all these improvements for mutiplayer franchise play and customizable season length, but that might just be me.
Not just you... Me too!

# 49 fullmetal2405 @ 09/03/10 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Excellent suggestion Money!

Especially if they continue to have no other option than an 82 game season.

In fact, if they did make things transferable, even given a choice, I'd possibly stay will a 82 game season. I wonder which would be easier to implement?...customizable season length, or being able to transfer from one game to another?
Customizable season length would be light years easier. I personally prefer the 82 game seasons... more real-to-life stats than if you played say a 41 game season. I'm fine with simming. Play the big games and all playoff games. Generally works out to probably 30 games per season (not including playoffs) but I'd prefer to see 82 games' worth of stats than 30.

# 50 Red71Star @ 09/03/10 09:09 PM
I just hope that the attributes of drafted players are usable and evenly distributed in '11. Pointless to have players with 72 Shot Power and 58 Accuracy, or 90 Acceleration and Agility and 69 Speed.

# 51 Steven547 @ 09/05/10 03:13 PM
I love how they say :

"When talking with Gurn Sumal at the event, I specifically asked him about the free agent issue and sim results. He said the free agent issue should be corrected and some small tweaking was done to the sim engine. He also added they'd love to build a bigger, better sim engine that would open up new possibilities for future versions. It's just a matter of priorities as to when that happens..."

Priority? Wasn't the whole selling point of this game that it was a hockey SIM? How can they leave out the part that the game is supposed to be? I don't get it. It's a hockey SIM without the sim? Huh? This should have been addressed years ago. Now, we have Superstars going to the AHL for a full season and players leading scoring who would never get over 10 gls a season. Might as well roll the dice and not have any player ratings. I'm starting to see this series follow the Madden trend after NFL 2k was no more. All downhill with no competition.

# 52 Keirik @ 09/05/10 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven547

Priority? Wasn't the whole selling point of this game that it was a hockey SIM? How can they leave out the part that the game is supposed to be? I don't get it. It's a hockey SIM without the sim? Huh? This should have been addressed years ago. Now, we have Superstars going to the AHL for a full season and players leading scoring who would never get over 10 gls a season. Might as well roll the dice and not have any player ratings. I'm starting to see this series follow the Madden trend after NFL 2k was no more. All downhill with no competition.
overreact much? lol

# 53 Lordofthething @ 09/05/10 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red71Star
I just hope that the attributes of drafted players are usable and evenly distributed in '11. Pointless to have players with 72 Shot Power and 58 Accuracy
I respectively have to disagree with this one...I've played with a lot of guys over the years who can shoot the puck a ton but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn...

# 54 Red71Star @ 09/05/10 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofthething
I respectively have to disagree with this one...I've played with a lot of guys over the years who can shoot the puck a ton but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn...
I agree with that point completely. There are a lot of Dmen who have 85+ Slap Shot Power but 55-60 Accuracy, totally fine with that. However, when you have a Sniper that has 76 Wrist Acc and 75 Power and all his other offensive attributes are in the 60's is pointless. Or a guy with 96 Speed, 98 Agi and 65 Accel (and I've seen it, we all have) just kills it. If you're a good skater, you're a good skater. It's not like, 'well this kid is blazing fast but it takes him 46 minutes to get to top speed'.

These things don't kill the game for me, they are just really annoying to see.

# 55 Lubey @ 09/05/10 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofthething

Me too. Guy's name was Fulton Reed. He could break the glass with his shot, but could only hit the net 1/4 times. It was really weird!

# 56 Legionnaire @ 09/05/10 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal2405
Customizable season length would be light years easier. I personally prefer the 82 game seasons... more real-to-life stats than if you played say a 41 game season. I'm fine with simming. Play the big games and all playoff games. Generally works out to probably 30 games per season (not including playoffs) but I'd prefer to see 82 games' worth of stats than 30.
I'd love, love, love to be able to play a shortened season

Just for convenience purposes. Now being an adult, it's tough to swing 82 or 162-game schedules that come with the non-football sports titles. And simming isn't much of an option because it kills my connection to my team if I'm only there for 30% of their season, or whatever, while the rest is taking place away from me while I'm simming.

But they'd really have to handle it just right so that I buy into the premise instead of feeling like I'm now playing in an unbelievable alternate reality. There'd need to be some presentation elements that help me buy that this is an actual thing happening in the real hockey world. You know what I mean?

I mean, I don't want to flick my controller a couple times in the "set up" screen before starting my franchise mode, and then find myself in a bizarro alternate universe where I've changed the rules of the game and nobody seems to notice. In order to make it real for me, the game would have to insert some material to make it seem more real.

Maybe, right off the bat once I've changed the settings and progress to the start of the franchise mode, I get to see a quick video clip pop up indicating the way things have changed. Like a "breaking news" segment of some kind. Some anchor reporting on the NHL's surprising announcement of a shorter playing schedule. Followed by brief "footage" of some NHL spokesperson at a press conference or reading a statement. And maybe a couple quick "reaction" clips of players being asked what they think about the new shortened schedule. Maybe some purist pundit gives a sound-bite saying it's a desecration of a once-great game, and some other pundit says it could make the game more akin to the popular sport of football where each game means more because each game makes up a bigger percentage of the entire season as compared to the sports with longer seasons.

Think about it. If the NHL shortened the schedule to 40 games tomorrow, imagine how big a topic this would be in the hockey world. It would have to feel that way in the video game for me, or else the benefit of shortening the schedule would be outweighed by the unreal feeling it the game didn't seem to acknowledge a huge change being made to the sport.

The audio guys would have to record material so, during games, the announcers can make mention of it. Early on, they'd probably just be reminding their viewers of the rules changes. But, as things go on, they'd stop focusing on it so much. They'd eventually only bring it up for the purposes of analyzing stats, mainly. There'd be a lot of "this numbers would roughly translate to such-and-such in the old 82-game schedule" kind of remarks. Or there'd be sort of asterisks or qualifiers when talking about guys' stats (like, "this is the most points anyone has scored in a season since the schedule was shortened back in 2012" or "this is the fewest losses by a team in NHL history, though if you translated it to an 82-game schedule it wouldn't quite break the old record".... that kind of thing).

Again, I'd love it. But they'd have to do some work to make it enjoyable and believable. Just because I don't have time for long seasons and don't have interest in simulating games just to produce real 82-game stats, it doesn't mean I wouldn't love to play some "sim" hockey in a believable version of the future where the NHL has conveniently shortened the schedule dramatically. It'd have to seem believable to suck me in, though.

# 57 TDKing @ 09/06/10 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal2405
Keyword is OPTION, no one is saying eliminate the 82 games just give us an option to play less if we want too.

# 58 TDKing @ 09/06/10 11:14 AM
Legion, I don't need all that, I'd just be happy with having the option to pick a shorter season. There will still be a beginning, middle and end of a season so you could use the same commentary that you would during an 82 game schedule. Playoffs would be the same. Lets not over complicate it. 20/42/82

# 59 FlyingFinn @ 09/07/10 12:26 PM
But the logic for generating an accurate schedule for a shortened season would have to be implemented. You just can't play the first 42/20 games of your real schedule.

# 60 RatBastard @ 09/07/10 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubey
Me too. Guy's name was Fulton Reed. He could break the glass with his shot, but could only hit the net 1/4 times. It was really weird!
I knew a guy once... same scenario. He got so mad during a game once that he took of his skate and tried to stab a guy with it. His name.. Happy Gilmore. They made a movie about him.

I could not resist this childish post. I apologize.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.