EA Sports MMA News Post

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Anim8or @ 09/23/10 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbox
I think you missed the point, I was simply trying to express the fact that stats are calculable in MMA, and over the course of a career don't vary too much. I just plugged in the most recognizable name off the top of my head.

Another example this time from fighters in the game, in Jacare's last fight he landed 34% of his strikes and Kennedy landed 36%.

And I think it's fair to ask that the statistics in EA MMA be close to sim, as people pursue realistic stats in other sports games as well.
We made a fighting simulatOR not a fighting simulatION.. If 2 people PLAY like pro fighters would, it becomes a simulation. What I mean by this is that we give YOU control and then let the USER be responsible for everything your fighter does. Then we give you realistic results when you do it... This is a game for people who want to feel like they are in a fight (rather than people who just want to watch a fight).

If you put down the controller and the other guy doesn't, you are getting knocked out or submitted in a couple seconds (just like falling asleep at the wheel of a driving simulator would result in crashing). Statistically speaking professional drivers don't drive on grass and crash cars into walls, but a good driving simulator lets you do it anyway and gives you realistic results (like a busted front fender and a broken windshield).

if you and the other fighter, fight LIKE that pro athlete would fight, then your stats would reflect accurately. You become the brain for the professional fighter who has physical skills and attributes you can choose to use (or not use) to your advantage... If you fight like a guy who has no idea what he is doing (for example grab Cung Le and immediately go for a Takedown against Jacare) you will lose quickly to a guy doing the right thing (e.g. Jacare throwing a guillotine takedown counter on the way down)

Every takedown you don't somehow defend is going to end up with you on your back (if you put the controller down, every single takedown the other guy tries, is going to be successful, that's what no dice rolls mean), every in-range punch you don't move out of the way of or block or parry is going to connect. The "simulator" rationality for this is VERY simple: Professional fighters don't miss a stationary heavy bag.. Real fighters don't find it difficult to take down a stationary grappling dummy... and if you stand still and don't actively defend yourself, we TREAT you like you just unplugged your fighters brain... We don't play the game for you, you have to play it (and we don't let random dice rolls play the game for you either). So if you don't act like the brain (if you fall asleep at the wheel), then your opponent is going to be successful at whatever he wants to do to you, his speed and degree of success may vary based on the fighter he selected, but even a wrestler can punch a stationary heavy bag without missing it.

This is a VERY cerebral sport. YOUR BRAIN (as the gamer) is what is going to determine your stats at the end of the fight. The result is a game that you are in control of, it is not frustrating even when you lose, YOU lost, because YOU did something you could have done differently, YOU went for a big move and got caught, and the result was losing the fight (just like real life).

# 22 Phobia @ 09/23/10 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or
We made a fighting simulatOR not a fighting simulatION.. If 2 people PLAY like pro fighters would, it becomes a simulation. What I mean by this is that we give YOU control and then let the USER be responsible for everything your fighter does. Then we give you realistic results when you do it... This is a game for people who want to feel like they are in a fight (rather than people who just want to watch a fight).

If you put down the controller and the other guy doesn't, you are getting knocked out or submitted in a couple seconds (just like falling asleep at the wheel of a driving simulator would result in crashing). Statistically speaking professional drivers don't drive on grass and crash cars into walls, but a good driving simulator lets you do it anyway and gives you realistic results (like a busted front fender and a broken windshield).

if you and the other fighter, fight LIKE that pro athlete would fight, then your stats would reflect accurately. You become the brain for the professional fighter who has physical skills and attributes you can choose to use (or not use) to your advantage... If you fight like a guy who has no idea what he is doing (for example grab Cung Le and immediately go for a Takedown against Jacare) you will lose quickly to a guy doing the right thing (e.g. Jacare throwing a guillotine takedown counter on the way down)

Every takedown you don't somehow defend is going to end up with you on your back (if you put the controller down, every single takedown the other guy tries, is going to be successful, that's what no dice rolls mean), every in-range punch you don't move out of the way of or block or parry is going to connect. The "simulator" rationality for this is VERY simple: Professional fighters don't miss a stationary heavy bag.. Real fighters don't find it difficult to take down a stationary grappling dummy... and if you stand still and don't actively defend yourself, we TREAT you like you just unplugged your fighters brain... We don't play the game for you, you have to play it (and we don't let random dice rolls play the game for you either). So if you don't act like the brain (if you fall asleep at the wheel), then your opponent is going to be successful at whatever he wants to do to you, his speed and degree of success may vary based on the fighter he selected, but even a wrestler can punch a stationary heavy bag without missing it.

This is a VERY cerebral sport. YOUR BRAIN (as the gamer) is what is going to determine your stats at the end of the fight. The result is a game that you are in control of, it is not frustrating even when you lose, YOU lost, because YOU did something you could have done differently, YOU went for a big move and got caught, and the result was losing the fight (just like real life).
Anim8or let me ask you this.

Every EA sports game has its level of "cheese" that can be abused in some sort of way by kids looking to find a edge in anyway possible. Will we suffer from playing realistically vs a punch spammer or some other form of "not sim" play style?

Also another good question mentioned by another forum member. Can you engage a submission at any moment similar to Undisputed(clicking in R3)?? If so, is there a negative for attempting subs over and over.

# 23 Phobia @ 09/23/10 01:59 PM
Oh and Anim8or. Check out our leagues here on OS. Would love to see you come over and throw some hands with us down here on OS.

Check out our old leagues we ran here on OS will give ya a idea.
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...c-xbox360.html

Would love to hook with some of the devs.
http://www.operationsports.com/vBull...post2041614099

# 24 Anim8or @ 09/23/10 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Anim8or let me ask you this.

Every EA sports game has its level of "cheese" that can be abused in some sort of way by kids looking to find a edge in anyway possible. Will we suffer from playing realistically vs a punch spammer or some other form of "not sim" play style?

Also another good question mentioned by another forum member. Can you engage a submission at any moment similar to Undisputed(clicking in R3)?? If so, is there a negative for attempting subs over and over.
We have done absolutely everything we can possibly to do punish people who don't play like a fighter.. You come out spamming punches and I will KO you VERY quick... 2 methods, one is dodge and move so you whiff (taking twice the stamina hit as connecting), or block and cover up. Wait and clock you, swing momentum my way, if you keep spamming at that point you are getting knocked out very quick 'cause I'll catch you in a wind-up when you have low stamina and mine is full. (you are at your most vulnerable while striking with low stamina). We actually asked our QA team to try to win with exploits, hunt them down, "cheat, cheap and cheese", then fight us so we can fix the game and make sure you have to FIGHT not "game the system" to win. It has been our primary focus for about the last year of development on the game. (and if you have a turbo controller, you will never have stamina, it's an absolute joke trying to play our game with turbo buttons).

Our game is very deliberately designed in what we call a "Layered Design" structure. We create deliberate closed loop systems and defined depth rather than just adding "features" this means every attack has a counter that introduces as much risk as reward and everything you do has a depth layer with an associated risk reward. While this is a careful balance, we have had lots of tuning time on this game (Barnes and Victor have been hands on tuning full time, for a VERY long time)

You can TRY a submission whenever you like (as long as one is unlocked for that position for that fighter). But with every reward there is an equal risk, so having it denied will have huge hit to your stamina and you may lose position with the attempt, if you lose the submission battle you will lose even more permanent stamina, and you will always lose positional advantage. There is always a big risk associated with trying to finish the fight. It's very carefully balanced in the game to prevent that sort manipulation of the system.

# 25 Phobia @ 09/23/10 04:25 PM
Quote:
We have done absolutely everything we can possibly to do punish people who don't play like a fighter.. You come out spamming punches and I will KO you VERY quick... 2 methods, one is dodge and move so you whiff (taking twice the stamina hit as connecting), or block and cover up. Wait and clock you, swing momentum my way, if you keep spamming at that point you are getting knocked out very quick 'cause I'll catch you in a wind-up when you have low stamina and mine is full. (you are at your most vulnerable while striking with low stamina). We actually asked our QA team to try to win with exploits, hunt them down, "cheat, cheap and cheese", then fight us so we can fix the game and make sure you have to FIGHT not "game the system" to win. It has been our primary focus for about the last year of development on the game. (and if you have a turbo controller, you will never have stamina, it's an absolute joke trying to play our game with turbo buttons).

Our game is very deliberately designed in what we call a "Layered Design" structure. We create deliberate closed loop systems and defined depth rather than just adding "features" this means every attack has a counter that introduces as much risk as reward and everything you do has a depth layer with an associated risk reward. While this is a careful balance, we have had lots of tuning time on this game (Barnes and Victor have been hands on tuning full time, for a VERY long time)

You can TRY a submission whenever you like (as long as one is unlocked for that position for that fighter). But with every reward there is an equal risk, so having it denied will have huge hit to your stamina and you may lose position with the attempt, if you lose the submission battle you will lose even more permanent stamina, and you will always lose positional advantage. There is always a big risk associated with trying to finish the fight. It's very carefully balanced in the game to prevent that sort manipulation of the system.
Nice explanation. Glad to hear a lot of time and energy went into trying to prevent the triple C's(Cheap, Cheat, Cheese) lol.

Really excited about the game. Can't wait to get the demo in hand come Tuesday!

# 26 Mossfan8480 @ 09/23/10 05:34 PM
Quote:
Wonderful.

# 27 DaveDQ @ 09/24/10 08:28 AM
Quote:

That's a very good description of your design philosophy and I do think you have to approach a game with this concept. This could be applied to the simulation/arcade discussion that we see pop up so often through various titles.

Your contributions here have been very informative. Thanks for that. I'm very excited to see how the game plays online and how stamina transfers over. As you may know, stamina for Fight Night 4 online was deeply flawed, allowing boxers to "spam" their punches with continuous body shots. It was impossible to stop them and it eventually ruined the online experience for me.

As you describe the game, it does have a chess match like description, which means we should see some quality fights where we are worn out at the end (if played true to the sport).

# 28 ManiacMatt1782 @ 09/24/10 03:04 PM
Quote:

explain the limb submission system better, do we hold the button to use energy to press for the finish in, or do we press repeatedly, because it seems that if we press repeatedly, you could use a turbo controller in those situations to either lock a sub in, or fight out of it. holding the button in to use stamina and fight in or out of the lock kind of makes sense to me.

# 29 Phobia @ 09/24/10 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
explain the limb submission system better, do we hold the button to use energy to press for the finish in, or do we press repeatedly, because it seems that if we press repeatedly, you could use a turbo controller in those situations to either lock a sub in, or fight out of it. holding the button in to use stamina and fight in or out of the lock kind of makes sense to me.
Its a tap system. But the way a turbo controller wont work is because with each tap it knocks down a portion of your stamina. So if you turn on a turbo controller it would quickly drain your stamina and the opponent would get out.

The way it works is you got to "FIGHT" for the submission. Meaning, that when you tap you are making progress on the submission. But the opponent is also tapping to prevent it. So it is a stamina conservation mini game where you have to balance going for the submission with out burning all your stamina and try and force the opponent to burn all his stamina defending against it.

So basically you will be "resting" and recovering stamina while also fighting for the submission.

Hope that makes sense. Not the easiest to explain.

# 30 ManiacMatt1782 @ 09/24/10 03:22 PM
i could still see a limb submission go completely red before you have a chance to do anything if thts the case, like thrown on late in the fight to get a guy to tap before he has a chance to fight it off. any repeated tap system can be abued by a turbo controller unless there is a lockout period preprogramed by the developers. if you had enough stamina to finish, the turbo conroller would pretty much ensure that you finished. i thought it was gonna be like a press and hold style, then back off to regain stamina then hold it in again to fight for the lock or the escape

# 31 Phobia @ 09/24/10 03:27 PM
Quote:
i could still see a limb submission go completely red before you have a chance to do anything if thts the case, like thrown on late in the fight to get a guy to tap before he has a chance to fight it off. any repeated tap system can be abued by a turbo controller unless there is a lockout period preprogramed by the developers. if you had enough stamina to finish, the turbo conroller would pretty much ensure that you finished. i thought it was gonna be like a press and hold style, then back off to regain stamina then hold it in again to fight for the lock or the escape
I don't believe, I could be wrong but my understanding is that it is a tap system.

Now with that said, Anim8or said they tested the game with turbo controllers and turbo controllers quickly get slaughtered do to the stamina system they are using.

# 32 ManiacMatt1782 @ 09/24/10 03:40 PM
I hope Anim8or reads this and chimes in.

# 33 Phobia @ 09/24/10 04:05 PM
Quote:
If you mash, you lose VERY fast. The joint lock submissions are a stamina management game with button presses. You will instantly notice Arm and Leg submissions are tuned very differently so different tactics work and even though they are both button mechanics they feel totally different.

When you don't push the button your stamina comes back, but your opponents presses are moving him towards victory. When you DO hit the button depending on where your stamina currently is, you move the submission more in your direction and deplete some of your stamina. (as the battle continues over time these button presses become worth more for both fighters). So the entire meta-game (which takes serious time to master) is about managing your stamina and has NOTHING to do with being able to mash fast (turbo controllers will instantly make you lose), and deciding when to burst through and try to escape based on how much each button press is worth. Losing all your stamina results in a short penalty where your presses are worthless (if you are being submitted) or failure (if you are submitting).

There are several different ways to play and even our most advanced members of the dev team still haven't decided what the best method is.. but the way I play it is hang on and conserve my stamina and watch my opponents stamina and mine, when he gets tired, I'll try to quickly escape or finish (the gamble here is trying to make sure I can survive long enough for him to get tired, then get swing the battle all the way back and not completely deplete my stamina doing it).

Your opponents MAX stamina (which is depleted during the fight by having his grappling attempts and escapes countered or denied) can also affect the outcome because it maxes out what his potential button press is worth, so in the end the real way to submit someone is to wear them out with some ground and pound, and go for the submission when they are exhausted, you have a much easier time in the battle... There is a lot of strategy to it. Ground fighters get quite good at setting it up and then very good at the submission battles themselves...
I think this should explain it better for you

# 34 Anim8or @ 09/24/10 05:51 PM
Quote:
Nope.. There is no way, you mash fast and you run out of stamina WAY before you win. (so you will lose EVERY time).

# 35 ManiacMatt1782 @ 09/24/10 07:02 PM
so you kinda have to pace your timing with the presses to get the most out of them? and then back off and regain stamina?

# 36 Anim8or @ 09/24/10 09:05 PM
Quote:
so you kinda have to pace your timing with the presses to get the most out of them? and then back off and regain stamina?
honestly there have evolved several techniques. My personal technique is sort of rythmic trying to keep my stamina high, letting the other guy get closer to winning (counting on him having less stamina than me), hang on as long as I can so each press becomes very valuable for me, then let my stamina regenerate all the way (hopefully I don't lose at this point) and then quickly hit fast a few times and hope to catch my opponent off guard and win before I run out of stamina. There are multiple points of failure with my method, but I still find it to be a successful way to play the game (for arm locks, leg locks and chokes I treat differently)..

There are so many different methods that have evolved, theories on each game that it is pretty fun seeing our submission experts go against each other. There are guys on the team who have gotten amazing at the games too.

# 37 23bluesman @ 09/24/10 09:43 PM
Quote:
honestly there have evolved several techniques. My personal technique is sort of rythmic trying to keep my stamina high, letting the other guy get closer to winning (counting on him having less stamina than me), hang on as long as I can so each press becomes very valuable for me, then let my stamina regenerate all the way (hopefully I don't lose at this point) and then quickly hit fast a few times and hope to catch my opponent off guard and win before I run out of stamina. There are multiple points of failure with my method, but I still find it to be a successful way to play the game (for arm locks, leg locks and chokes I treat differently)..

There are so many different methods that have evolved, theories on each game that it is pretty fun seeing our submission experts go against each other. There are guys on the team who have gotten amazing at the games too.
That is very nice and refreshing to hear! I'll be creating a primarily BJJ guy (and when using the real fighters roll with Aoki and the Gracies) so I'm really excited about the submission battles in this game!

# 38 ManiacMatt1782 @ 09/24/10 10:50 PM
anim8tor, i just want to thank you for helping us all understand a little better and giving us all an insight here. i and the vast majority of this community definitely appreciates it.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.