Home
NHL 11 News Post

Kotaku's Owen Good has posted an entertaining NHL 11 read. Is the game harder than its hardcore fans?

Quote:
"A friend visiting me recently is a lifelong NHL fan with season tickets to the San Jose Sharks. He doesn't play video games, but he was intrigued when he saw NHL 11 on my desk, a couple days before release.

"Oh, wow, you got this?" he said. "What's that like? Can I play it?"

"Sure," I said, opening the case and handing him the manual. "There are the controls."

The 17-page manual devotes four pages to the controls. After three minutes Scott uttered two words that communicated he'd given up on the idea.

"Don't feel bad," I said. "I barely know how to play it either."

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Lieutenant Dan @ 09/14/10 09:38 AM
Thank you kindly for the reply, Vikes! That's great information!

I re-read the OS review more carefully too...sounds like I could probably handle it.

# 22 FBeaule04 @ 09/14/10 11:52 AM
Geez, I don't get it!

Are people expecting to have Nintendo controls in 2010?

Yep, the controls are a lot more complex than 20 years ago, but is it impossible to learn them?

I don't know how many times I heard someone my age say before playing a game for the first time : "How did we do that, and that and that? Are you crazy, I'm never going to learn all that stuff!"

And guess what, after playing few games, they are able to deke better than I'll ever be able too, they are making spin-o-rama and making all the other little things you can do in the game.

If you want to, you can learn. Like everything else in life, it will be tougher for some to learn them, but they will with time.

Ice Hockey on the NES was easy to play out of the box and the learning curve was 5 minutes. NHL 11 took more time, but it's just normal, the game is deeper as is the controls.

But, like someone said, shooting, skating and passing is so easy even a caveman can do it!

# 23 cepwin @ 09/14/10 05:46 PM
Cool...that's a good sim...and rFactor2 will be even better. I too am looking forward to Nov 2 for GT5 (I'm even planning to take a vacation day since I have plenty of time stored up.) Also, F1 2010 is coming out next week...I'm looking forward to that one too. Right now I'm primarily iRacing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramenite
rFactor mainly. The league I was in used it exclusively. I have them all, with the exception of iRacing. My wheel died, and I haven't gotten around to getting another one. I'm more rFacotr, LFS, and nKP, than something like grid, or Need for Speed. Although I am looking forward to GT5.

# 24 IlluminatusUIUC @ 09/15/10 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
A far as the... "Harder than the "Hardcore fans", no, I don't believe that. It's my guess the truly dedicated [hardcore] gamers enjoy being challenged by ever increasing complex games. jmo.
[/font][/font]
I think the article was referring to hardcore fans of the sport, not hardcore gamers. One would presume that Joe Hockeyfan would be the ideal market to expand the NHL gaming franchise, but the disconnect between knowing the sport and knowing how to play video games is pretty large.

# 25 Money99 @ 09/15/10 04:10 PM
Aren't there 'classic controls' where only a few buttons are needed to play the game?

I'll admit that sports games are getting more and more complex, but that's the nature of the beast.

The guy admits he hasn't played a hockey game since Blades of Steel. I don't know if EA is going after those guys as they probably don't play ANY video games.

# 26 cepwin @ 09/15/10 05:55 PM
Yes, to play a hardcore sports sim you need to understand the game at least somewhat...the more the better *and* be comfortable with the controller...those are two separate skillsets. The "classic" controls are a help for fans of hockey who don't want to just play, without worrying about a learning curve. Then of course there's the arcade game which I'm going to try with my Friends' 6 year old....feeding frenzy is getting boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
I think the article was referring to hardcore fans of the sport, not hardcore gamers. One would presume that Joe Hockeyfan would be the ideal market to expand the NHL gaming franchise, but the disconnect between knowing the sport and knowing how to play video games is pretty large.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.