Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

Quote:
"Here is the most recent 'Behind The Scenes' clip from NBA ELITE 11. This clip of OJ Mayo driving the lane is a great example of the all-new Hands-On Control. It combines a shot fake to get the defender to bite, one-to-one behind the back dribble move to get into the key, a pro-hop to create space and a layup to finish. This is user v. user gameplay and as you can see the sticks give you more control than you get playing with the button controls. By playing with the sticks, switching to buttons, then back to Hands-On Control, you will really be able to feel the difference for yourself. You'll be able to experience this and a whole lot more in the demo coming soon to both PSN and XBL."

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Jano @ 09/14/10 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
Wow, man NBA Elite is up and down for me. Right now, this looks really cool. I wonder if there's a way to have that meter on the screen (the shot meter.) The one thing I hated about Live 10 (even Live 09 had 3 point shoot out so you could find people's releases...) is that I never could get everyone's release. I'd like to know when I am releasing it perfectly.

I can hit FTs online w/ Shaq on superstar... so I mean if I just knew when and how to release it, I could be hitting some amazing shots.

-Smak
It won't be on screen when you are playing but it will show up on replays and in practice mode. So the timing should be a lot easier and more consistent then last year..

# 162 ILLSmak @ 09/14/10 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
You know what, you're absolutely right, which is why I have an issue with this

Because Crawford hits the invisible wall to recover on defense, only to get right back in front of Mayo to make this super spectacular def defying block attempt

Thats just all wrong man... This game is again going to need some major ratings adjustments
You probably don't wanna hear this from me, but I disagree with that... I think if anything the jumping animation was just a bad one. He was there. If anything, he jumped the wrong way instead of going into a foul animation. I don't think he hit an invisible wall and recovered...

If you're talking about his jump and then getting back, well, I don't have a problem with that, either. Since the guy had to maneuver around a defender before he laid it up.

What should have happened there is a hard foul... IMO.

-Smak

# 163 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy
First just let me say I'm about as hardcore as you can get when it comes to sports games. I just want a realistic balance. However...

More needs to be taken into account besides the timing of a shot. The reach of the player, the position the player is in, how fast and high the release of the shooter is, etc...Verticals, globally, need turned down. That's on offense, as well as defense. All players are jumping too high. Results of a blocked shot should be a combination of factors, not just timing. If you have to sacrifice the amount of blocked shots, but have realistic verticals/animations - I'd be all for that. It's all about balance.

http://www.82games.com/comm16.htm

Why can't stats like these be implemented with Synergy to reflect real-life statistics? I understand it's user-controlled, but it's also realistic to have around 5 BPG on average per team and have it somewhat life like. If you can reflect the stats to show more blocks in the paint and less on jumpshots, as well as incorporate all of the factors into blocking shots we've mentioned, it could help with your verticals issues, as well.
The reason it's difficult to use stats like these is because of the user control aspect as you mentioned.

We do have the ability to tune certain aspects of the game post ship, so what we'll be doing is monitoring the stats from the demo for things like shot percentage, steals per game and blocks per game.

We'll then tune the difficulty of the game so that the real life stats we get from the demo match closer to the real life stats in the NBA.

Because it's an average, not everyone is going to get realistic results in the end. But the average of all users will be realistic.

And then we'll continue to refine from there.

I also don't know if we'll be making blocks easier or harder yet. It really depends on the people who play the game, how good they get and how quickly.

# 164 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
Hey rEAnimator...first let me say that you have been as stand up as one can ask for.

I like this clip, howeer, can you address the collision detection when it comes to the hop step?

It seems as if the hop step and gather disrespects the defender's postion.

One of my favorite things about Live 10 was I felt like the defender's position was honored, and you couldnt just slide off of a guy to get to the basket.

Care to shed some light on that?

Good job. Im looking forward to the demo and the game.
Thanks.

As for the question, I'm not sure I follow...I went back and looked at the video again and what I'm seeing is the dribbler doing the hop step away from the defender.

Am I misunderstanding your question?

# 165 BlackCloudDoggy @ 09/14/10 04:56 PM
Hey reanimator, thanks for all of the responses. Add me to the list of guys who would like to see the verticals toned down.

Personally jumping to block jump shots is not a big enough factor in game play to warrant such a huge eyesore imo. You don't have to integrate those stats that HoosierDaddy linked for us into the game, but they should be a basis of how easy or difficult it should be to block a jump shot, or the frequency of it happening.

# 166 jlbrown143 @ 09/14/10 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
The reason it's difficult to use stats like these is because of the user control aspect as you mentioned.

We do have the ability to tune certain aspects of the game post ship, so what we'll be doing is monitoring the stats from the demo for things like shot percentage, steals per game and blocks per game.

We'll then tune the difficulty of the game so that the real life stats we get from the demo match closer to the real life stats in the NBA.

Because it's an average, not everyone is going to get realistic results in the end. But the average of all users will be realistic.

And then we'll continue to refine from there.

I also don't know if we'll be making blocks easier or harder yet. It really depends on the people who play the game, how good they get and how quickly.
reAnimator...I just want to say that I really respect you for staying the course and continuing to answer mostly all of the hard critiques on your product this year, I just would like to say I think that it's sad that you have to take the blunt of the attacks.. where are the other Devs?

and I hate to add to the assult but I think the way you guys are keeping information from us as far as demo release information and things of that nature puts a bad taste in the mouth of the people who number one are your die hard fans and people like me who even though I am not a die hard fan ...(consider myself a fan fo your product, ) are still trying to hold out some hope that you will atleast make a decent enough product that will be worth playing. but your decision to limit information to me is only hurting your chances of getting the support you sort of have for this years installment, now considering all of the bad news weve been hearing about your lack of features and improvement...you obviously are still willing to stand by your product, so if you're gonna stand by your product then at least show us what we need to see to help us make a decision on whether to purchase this game or not..atleast by doing that you still have hope that we will get it...showing us nothing is definitely NOT going to help....

lastly I know you don't make the decisions as to what information we get to see or not but as long as you have been on this site you know the disappoinment that is buzzing here about the game..come on guy you're a developer on the game you could save alot of face by atleast trying to get us more and better information...enough with the excuses do right by us and you will see were not as heartless as we seem...(just sayin...)

# 167 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbrown143
reAnimator...I just want to say that I really respect you for staying the course and continuing to answer mostly all of the hard critiques on your product this year, I just would like to say I think that it's sad that you have to take the blunt of the attacks.. where are the other Devs?

and I hate to add to the assult but I think the way you guys are keeping information as from us as far as demo release information and things of that nature puts a bad taste in the mouth of the people who number one are your die hard fans and people like me who even though I am not a die hard fan ...(consider myself a fan fo your product, ) are still trying to hold out some hope that you will atleast make a decent enough product that will be worth playing. but your decision to limit information to me is only hurting your chances of getting the support you sort of have for this years installment, now considering all of the bad news weve been hearing about your lack of features and improvement...you obviously are still willing to stand by your product, so if you're gonna stand by your product then at least show us what we need to see to help us make a decision on whether to purchase this game or not..atleast by doing that you still have hope that we will get it...showing us nothing is definitely NOT going to help....

lastly I know you don't make the decisions as to what information we get to see of not but as long as you have been on this site you know the disaapoinment that is buzzing here about the game..come on guy your a developer on the game you could save alot of face by atleast trying to get us more and better information...enough with the excuses do right by us and you will see were not as heartless as we seem...(just sayin...)
Honestly, I think we want to announce the demo release date with some fanfare. I don't know, but I imagine there will be a video or something released when the date is released.

I could also see a lot of different marketing strategies around when to announce it.

On one hand, wait until the 2K demo has been played a bit so the announcement doesn't get lost in that hype, and on the other hand announce it right when the 2K demo comes out to try and interrupt some of that hype.

I don't know which way they're going.

Lastly, I thought we've done a pretty decent job of releasing information. There's quite bit out there.

I think where we've gone wrong is announcing things early out of excitement before they are actually done, only to have them slip and people getting pissed off.

The guys worked crazy hours this year, and like a marathon runner, most collapsed at the finish line. There were a lot of people on vacation before I left for this trip. They needed it. That likely contributed to the lack of blogs and videos recently.

I'd like to help, but I'm out of the office on a trip through asia presenting some NBA elite tech stuff at games conferences.

Is there some specific information you're looking for (other than the demo date)?

# 168 sportyguyfl31 @ 09/14/10 05:24 PM
Quote:
Thanks.

As for the question, I'm not sure I follow...I went back and looked at the video again and what I'm seeing is the dribbler doing the hop step away from the defender.

Am I misunderstanding your question?
From what I can see, it appeared the the defender slid off of the hop stepping ballhandler..I could be wrong.

Ive seen a couple of vids where a ball handler was able to hop/gather and explode right in fron of a defender..that has me a little worried...again, im not sure if the other user is moving the defender at all or not.

# 169 sportyguyfl31 @ 09/14/10 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
It IS very fluid. The complaints don't hold too much water, IMO.

People want to complain about other things but in the scope of JUST THIS VIDEO, what you're shown is pretty solid. However, the comments about traveling/walk/etc. are valid.

The biggest plus is that is COMPLETELY user controlled.

Agree 100%

# 170 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
From what I can see, it appeared the the defender slid off of the hop stepping ballhandler..I could be wrong.

Ive seen a couple of vids where a ball handler was able to hop/gather and explode right in fron of a defender..that has me a little worried...again, im not sure if the other user is moving the defender at all or not.
I know what you mean, I just didn't see it in this video.

I've touched on it in other threads, but if you hop directly into a guy you'll get called for charging.

If you hop away from a guy you'll avoid collision.

Unfortunately there's no real in between, but it's been tuned to try and make that move balanced.

Only way to judge us on that aspect is to try it out.

# 171 jlbrown143 @ 09/14/10 05:36 PM
Quote:
Honestly, I think we want to announce the demo release date with some fanfare. I don't know, but I imagine there will be a video or something released when the date is released.

I could also see a lot of different marketing strategies around when to announce it.

On one hand, wait until the 2K demo has been played a bit so the announcement doesn't get lost in that hype, and on the other hand announce it right when the 2K demo comes out to try and interrupt some of that hype.

I don't know which way they're going.

Lastly, I thought we've done a pretty decent job of releasing information. There's quite bit out there.

I think where we've gone wrong is announcing things early out of excitement before they are actually done, only to have them slip and people getting pissed off.

The guys worked crazy hours this year, and like a marathon runner, most collapsed at the finish line. There were a lot of people on vacation before I left for this trip. They needed it. That likely contributed to the lack of blogs and videos recently.

I'd like to help, but I'm out of the office on a trip through asia presenting some NBA elite tech stuff at games conferences.

Is there some specific information you're looking for (other than the demo date)?

again thanks for responding ....I think at this point me myself I would just prefer to play the demo since that is what you and others are really stressing that we need to do.....forget about the competition at this point you know we are going to buy their game....you guys should be thinking what are you going to be able to do, to get us to buy your game...Czar came out with the ten teams in ten days thing for 2k.....is it beyond your companies capabilities to so something similar to showcase your specific gameplay features,? other than a 1 min tease fo a specific sequence of moves...?

I guess what I mean by information specific is what's up with the current build of gameplay mechanics? and I for one take into account that your people have been putting in time but my thing is hey man....it's like time to release the game in about 3 weeks or so and we still trying to see what type of game you guys are bringing to the table? heck highlight what Elite has to offer as far as plays, did you guys put in kick ball this year, do you guys have flagrant fouls? is the crowd dynamic this year? do you have an improved halftime show to present or post game show...? heck...can we SEE it?????

is the playoff atmosphere better than regular season? will the computer play logically in the 4th quarter if they are down by like 5 points.??.you know gamplay stuff.....correct me if Im wrong but I have not seen THIS type of information ?

# 172 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 05:52 PM
Quote:
again thanks for responding ....I think at this point me myself I would just prefer to play the demo since that is what you and others are really stressing that we need to do.....forget about the competition at this point you know we are going to buy their game....you guys should be thinking what are you going to be able to do, to get us to buy your game...Czar came out with the ten teams in ten days thing for 2k.....is it beyond your companies capabilities to so something similar to showcase your specific gameplay features,? other than a 1 min tease fo a specific sequence of moves...?

I guess what I mean by information specific is what's up with the current build of gameplay mechanics? and I for one take into account that your people have been putting in time but my thing is hey man....it's like time to release the game in about 3 weeks or so and we still trying to see what type of game you guys are bringing to the table? heck highlight what Elite has to offer as far as plays, did you guys put in kick ball this year, do you guys have flagrant fouls? is the crowd dynamic this year? do you have an improved halftime show to present or post game show...? heck...can we SEE it?????

is the playoff atmosphere better than regular season? will the computer play logically in the 4th quarter if they are down by like 5 points.??.you know gamplay stuff.....correct me if Im wrong but I have not seen THIS type of information ?
I hear you.

I watched Da_Czar's videos and immediately asked stepsix how our play system stacks up to those videos, because they looked pretty cool to me.

He explained that we had all the same stuff (arguably better in some areas), it's just unfortunate that we haven't released videos of similar quality. I agree with you on that one.

Unfortunately the people who are knowledgeable enough about the game to put together a video like that are few, and they are all still swamped with other things, or are on a much needed vacation.

I hope we can get that stuff to you, but as I'm away myself I don't know when that will be.

I'll bet Litty is reading this thread though, and I wouldn't be surprised to see more videos come out based on this feedback.

The only positive take away from this is that you can be assured we spent the majority of our time working on the game. That may have taken away from hype and info, but hopefully it makes for a better product and that it comes across in the demo. I think it will.

I can tell you that we plan on interacting with the community a lot throughout the development of Elite 12.

I've found quite a bit a value in it at the tail end of Elite 11, and believe it made the game better.

I'd like to continue that trend and step it up even more for next year.

So make sure to get the game so we're all on the same page

# 173 jlbrown143 @ 09/14/10 06:04 PM
Hey thanks for the sincerity ....all I will ask is that when you finally do drop the demo and the game...please don't just disappear like they did last year..they were with us all the way up untill the game released then all of a sudden....ghosttown....?

I'm sure you're read people are still mad at how we got played with ncaa basketball?

there will be good and bad responses all we want from you as a developer is to acknowledge if something worked or if it didn't and then give us a honest and timely response as to whether you can fix it now or if we have to wait depending on the complexity till the next installment....(that's fair right?...) just please don't start the next year syndrome for things that can be fixed now....ie haircuts, socks..rebound animations.... roster changes, coaching changes (okay I may be stretching there...lol) but you know what I mean im sure.

Just don't treat us like this is our first purchase of a video basketball game....(we are not Idiots) thanks ReAnimator you alright....!

# 174 rEAnimator @ 09/14/10 06:31 PM
Quote:
Hey thanks for the sincerity ....all I will ask is that when you finally do drop the demo and the game...please don't just disappear like they did last year..they were with us all the way up untill the game released then all of a sudden....ghosttown....?

I'm sure you're read people are still mad at how we got played with ncaa basketball?

there will be good and bad responses all we want from you as a developer is to acknowledge if something worked or if it didn't and then give us a honest and timely response as to whether you can fix it now or if we have to wait depending on the complexity till the next installment....(that's fair right?...) just please don't start the next year syndrome for things that can be fixed now....ie haircuts, socks..rebound animations.... roster changes, coaching changes (okay I may be stretching there...lol) but you know what I mean im sure.

Just don't treat us like this is our first purchase of a video basketball game....(we are not Idiots) thanks ReAnimator you alright....!
Don't worry, I'll be around and active on the boards a lot more than you're probably expecting.

Just a warning though, I'll be in transit between cities here in asia when the demo drops. So if I'm not responding right away it's not because I've disappeared. I promise to read every comment as soon as I can and respond as best I can.

# 175 jlbrown143 @ 09/14/10 07:59 PM
I also would like to say to some on these boards...(just think about this...)
people have been saying that OS'ers are a small minority...well I greatly disagree with that stance...

Reanimator you have a lot of users that read the blogs and don't bother to post on this site just to avoid confrontations with alot of the regular guys on here.....so just because you don't see alot of responses please don't think for a minute we are not watching, because we are...for example.......take me.....I am just one individual and the people base that I come into contact with on a weekly basis amounts to over 300 to 400 people, now imagine how many more people I email or twitter with and who they talk or communicate with and I'm sure you can see that if I am hyping your game to these people, how many more people they talk with...remember I am just one person.......

okay now take into account all the people who frequent just this site...alone and how many other people they tell about your product......hmmmmm...that would say to me that we have a bigger voice than some people are afraid to admit....seriously....you saying that you are going to interact with the community more for the next installment is great, but until that time we still need this years installment to be the best that you can make it, then you gain trust and confidence from us that you will deliver on the next installment...

oh and let me just say to you and your EA Sports management,
MARKETING is A NO BRAINER!!! if we don't see it ...it doesn't matter, if I could just offer my two cents when you highlight your product from now on please be prepared to demonstrate the highlighted ability..
seeing is believing,
in todays society we are see first talk later....all the talk in the world won't matter if we can not witness the event!
I don't know who calls the shots on that sort of thing but whoever is telling people not to show stuff should be fired...lol I as a consumer don't care personally about the Hype machine...I can tell you this if you have a product and it works like you say it will that is all you need to hype the product ....just deliver the goods as promised and there goes your excitement mania....just make good on the promises.....

# 176 BiggD @ 09/14/10 09:07 PM
Quote:
I also would like to say to some on these boards...(just think about this...)
people have been saying that OS'ers are a small minority...well I greatly disagree with that stance...

Reanimator you have a lot of users that read the blogs and don't bother to post on this site just to avoid confrontations with alot of the regular guys on here.....so just because you don't see alot of responses please don't think for a minute we are not watching, because we are...for example.......take me.....I am just one individual and the people base that I come into contact with on a weekly basis amounts to over 300 to 400 people, now imagine how many more people I email or twitter with and who they talk or communicate with and I'm sure you can see that if I am hyping your game to these people, how many more people they talk with...remember I am just one person.......

okay now take into account all the people who frequent just this site...alone and how many other people they tell about your product......hmmmmm...that would say to me that we have a bigger voice than some people are afraid to admit....seriously....you saying that you are going to interact with the community more for the next installment is great, but until that time we still need this years installment to be the best that you can make it, then you gain trust and confidence from us that you will deliver on the next installment...

oh and let me just say to you and your EA Sports management,
MARKETING is A NO BRAINER!!! if we don't see it ...it doesn't matter, if I could just offer my two cents when you highlight your product from now on please be prepared to demonstrate the highlighted ability..
seeing is believing,
in todays society we are see first talk later....all the talk in the world won't matter if we can not witness the event!
I don't know who calls the shots on that sort of thing but whoever is telling people not to show stuff should be fired...lol I as a consumer don't care personally about the Hype machine...I can tell you this if you have a product and it works like you say it will that is all you need to hype the product ....just deliver the goods as promised and there goes your excitement mania....just make good on the promises.....
Great post... I'm on twitter trying to get this exact same point across to Blackflash83. You gotta be in peoples face in this day and age otherwise you are easily forgotten about..

# 177 gamerkid421 @ 09/14/10 09:32 PM
i liked this video looked cool can't wait to try it out

# 178 RubenDouglas @ 09/14/10 11:04 PM
WOW. I missed all this good back and forth. I'm always open to every basketball release. ( I can't say no) so this one will get an honest look.

Looks can be deceiving, just as CH2k8 has some quirkiness to it, this game may shine in other areas.

Appreciate the insights rEAnimator

# 179 Blak_Baki_Hanma @ 09/14/10 11:21 PM
SMGDH

I counted a MINIMUM of 4 steps after Mayo picked up his dribble... and NO WHISTLE.
Like I've said several times, the rules define the sport... so I have no idea what sport their trying to recreate here... but it sure isn't basketball.

But the youngsters should love it... hell you get 2-on-2 nba jams AND 5-on-5 nba jams all in one box.
How exactly does "Skill Based" factor into a game that's missing the most fundamental of rules.
It's "Park Ball"... a pickup game.

I'm tired of flaming this game but these dudes keep handin out free gas cans.
Show me an actual BASKETBALL video with the rules intact...
Is that too much to ask?

Seriously... vertical leap issues? That's the least of what I saw.

How does the guy get beat on the pump fake but still recovery in a backpedal to end up hip to hip with oj mayo at the basket? That's some HELLIFIED DEFENSIVE RECOVERY!

LOL... let me guess... EARLY BUILD, right?
Or are we just not supposed to notice?... or care?

# 180 Blak_Baki_Hanma @ 09/14/10 11:49 PM
I definitely appreciate the insights but I've coughed up a king's ransom on nba live over the years...
And I'm feeling awfully jilted when it comes to the return on my investment.
I expected so much more after all this time (and money) but it HONESTLY feels like very little understanding of simulation basketball has been conveyed in the finished products that I've continued to purchase year after year.

At some point I would like to hear what EA's goal is when creating their basketball games...
The "real goal"... not the sterilized press release.
And if they aren't achieving their goal in each development cycle, do they really think they'll achieve or maintain community/consumer support?

Defense (that thing that's always omitted from NBA Live) wins championships... not 1-on-1 ankle breaks and juke chains.
IDK... MAYBE IT'S ME!!
Maybe I'm just too old to identify with EA's ideology.
Maybe you CAN have fun playing fantasy ball.
I just can't get with it.

Sorry for the rant but my favorite franchise went down the $#!tt&r and that kinda hurts.
Real talk.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.