Home
News Post

With today being the North American release date (and Steam ), lets use this topic for impressions for all 3 platforms. Please limit this to impressions and questions about the game.

UPDATE: Apparently the console version is not being released until tomorrow or even as late as Thursday for some. For those who purchased the PC version off of steam, it has been released and will be unlocked within 2.5 hours to play. I have the game already downloaded on my system, just waiting for the unlock. I will do my best with impressions as soon as the game is unlocked on my PC.

Game: F1 2010Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
F1 2010 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Behindshadows @ 09/22/10 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeus
DO NOT buy this game for the pc unless you have a supercomputer. I have a very good system, and I average 27fps, which is unacceptable to me. Thanks Codemasters, for optimizing this game so well.
Running perfectly fine on mine....Don't know why your having an issue...need to upgrade your Graphics card and max out the ram.

# 62 Thadeus @ 09/22/10 02:02 AM
I have 6 gigs of ram, an I7 processor and a ATI 5900 video card. It should run extremely well. It doesn't.

# 63 Behindshadows @ 09/22/10 02:24 AM
Quote:
I have 6 gigs of ram, an I7 processor and a ATI 5900 video card. It should run extremely well. It doesn't.
Yeah it should, you might have to check your catalyst and see what some of your settings are Because I don't even have my settings that high and it's smooth.

# 64 Chaos81 @ 09/22/10 04:36 AM
I went ahead and picked up the PC version. We'll have to try an OS multiplayer race sometime.

# 65 bonannogiovanni @ 09/22/10 05:06 AM
Guys, two questions:

do you know if it's possible to spectate a race?

How are replays at the end of the race? Can you focus on any car and watch its performance from the start?

Thanks for your impressions.....

# 66 Alistair @ 09/22/10 05:39 AM
I just bought a PS3 copy! Looking forward to getting stuck in to it now.

What settings do you guys use? Do you use any of the assist attributes (braking, line etc.) or purely natural?

# 67 18 eighty 5 @ 09/22/10 06:15 AM
It released on ps3 & xbox 360 today in Australia. I got my copy for the 360 and I concur the graphics are stellar. I live in Melbourne and have driven through parts of the Albert Park circuit numerous times and the game track captures the feel of Albert Park well.

I have only touched on Time Trial so far to get a feel for handling the cars and gameplay nuances. I have put in a few laps at Melbourne and Spa in the dry and Monte Carlo in the wet. With all driving assists on the cars are super responsive and very easy to come to terms with. Start removing the assists and the driving experience requires far, far greater skill to master.

The cars are feathery light and the game captures the speed of the sport exceptionally well. You certainly don't feel like you are labouring along. When you accelerate, boom, you fly. Without brake assist in the wet you notice how easy it is to carry forward momentum beyond braking points and your tyres lock up and you just slide...especially in the wet. This game will have some cruel moments during races if you make mistakes.

I tried some wet weather laps in Monte Carlo with all assists off except traction control and no racing line and man what a difference it makes to the driving experience. Firstly, without the big rainbow racing line, the track looks amazing. The water is almost photo-realistic with pools and patches sitting all over the tarmac.

At Spa I put the car in the gravel, managed to get out but there was white pieces of gravel stuck on my left front. Very nice touch.

The car sounds are the best in an F1 game to date. Driving the Renault around Monte Carlo without traction control in the wet and the car screamed like a huge, angry alien hunting Sigourney Weaver. It sounded amazing. A really threatening roar with plenty of high pitches.

Ok, off to play some more.

# 68 ExtremeGamer @ 09/22/10 06:37 AM
When it says dynamic weather, does that mean it'll rain then stop during the race or vice versa?

Great impressions, pretty much sold me on this one. Thanks!

# 69 Kully @ 09/22/10 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos81
Try going into your audio settings and changing it from "rapture" to "software". I read elsewhere that helped people on PC.
THat helped when I was playing it.

# 70 JimmyDeicide @ 09/22/10 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
When it says dynamic weather, does that mean it'll rain then stop during the race or vice versa?

yes , just like gp3 and 4 if your familiar with that, with a dry line forming it seems really well done.

# 71 18 eighty 5 @ 09/22/10 08:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer

I just had my first single grand prix. It was in Montreal and being an Aussie I drove for Red Bull with Mark Webber. I had it set to dynamic weather and medium length (which was 7 laps, keeping in mind that it gives numerous lap options to choose from).

It was overcast the entire 7 laps which I was really happy with. In the past it has annoyed me that dynamic weather has meant it will always rain at some point and always be dry at other points in the one race. I liked that this system doesn't seem to copy that old patern.

The race ended with a one -two for Red Bull. I won starting from fifth and Vettel came second. I should point out that I am playing on the easiest difficulty lest anyone think you can walk in and smash this game on the first pick up and play. From what I can tell on the easiest setting car damage has negligible effect on the performance of your car. In my second race I was jousting with Hamilton for 1st and stuck my nose into the wall. I fell back to 4th behind Schumacher and was radioed to come into the pits but I stayed out and the car handled well enough to be highly competitive. I came third.

I only had one assist turned off, so that makes it much easier to control the car too.

One beautiful little thing worth mentioning about the weather (again in the second race, can't remember which circuit) it was bright and sunny and at certain spots on the track when I checked my rear view the rear wing would have a reddish glow coming off the sponsorship decal on the wing. At other places when the cars position to the sun had changed, so too did the effect on the rear wing. It was not always glowing no matter what, it would be in shade under bridges, dull when not in direct sunlight and glowing when in the sun. Awesome touch.

Also, the cars are beautiful to control. Codemasters have nailed the driving side of this video game. They make outstanding driving games and this one is right up there. It just feels so right.

The driver assists will make this game highly accessible to a wide audience from casual fans looking for a more arcade experience to more hardcore fans looking for total unassisted control over their driving.

# 72 ExtremeGamer @ 09/22/10 08:31 AM
Thanks guys!!

# 73 R9NALD9 @ 09/22/10 08:37 AM
Hi guys, thanks for all the impressions and photos!

Just one question:

There seems to be a major problem in 20% length races (and ironically enough I was planning in doing 20% length races) where when you pit stop your team will not let you go untill everyone have passed.

People are complaining like mad on Codemasters's official forums and some say they would work themselves up to 16th place or whatever and when they pit, their team hold them back untill everyone else has passed and then they are 24th again. It seems they hold you back to avoid a possible collision with a rival car in the pit stops.

Can someone please try this and let me know? How bad is this?

# 74 bluengold34_OS @ 09/22/10 09:02 AM
Quote:
DO NOT buy this game for the pc unless you have a supercomputer. I have a very good system, and I average 27fps, which is unacceptable to me. Thanks Codemasters, for optimizing this game so well.
LOL...well I would not go so far as to say supercomputer( I lol'ed on this ) I did have to run down to Best Buy and pick up a Geforce 9800gt 1 gb ddr3 card. I am now getting fps between 40 and 60( track dependant ) with everything maxed out, except MSA, and running it at 1680 by 1050(native screen rez).

# 75 Alistair @ 09/22/10 09:06 AM
Am I the only person that thinks 100% length races are the only way to go? It's a big commitment, but very realistic.

On another note, I played for about an hour tonight. I haven't played a driving game in a long time and since I wanted a challenge throughout the course of career mode, I'm playing with pretty hard (custom) settings.

I'm involved in first race weekend and throughout 30-40 minutes of practice, I couldn't keep the damn car on the track for a whole entire lap (the second sector of that track is a mother, by the way). I tinkered with a few different car setups but wow... very responsive & temperamental beasts.

Later I played a TT on my home track of Melbourne and wow!!!! They've nailed this circuit. You really get a great essence for speed.

Anyway - early impressions are brilliant, but it's going to take me a long time to be competitive.

# 76 bonannogiovanni @ 09/22/10 09:14 AM
Are there in-game saves for 100% length races?

# 77 R9NALD9 @ 09/22/10 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair
Am I the only person that thinks 100% length races are the only way to go? It's a big commitment, but very realistic.

On another note, I played for about an hour tonight. I haven't played a driving game in a long time and since I wanted a challenge throughout the course of career mode, I'm playing with pretty hard (custom) settings.

I'm involved in first race weekend and throughout 30-40 minutes of practice, I couldn't keep the damn car on the track for a whole entire lap (the second sector of that track is a mother, by the way). I tinkered with a few different car setups but wow... very responsive & temperamental beasts.

Later I played a TT on my home track of Melbourne and wow!!!! They've nailed this circuit. You really get a great essence for speed.

Anyway - early impressions are brilliant, but it's going to take me a long time to be competitive.
one day when you are married you'll understand how difficult it is to do 100% races etc.

My wife gives me plenty of time to play games, and in essence I will have opportunities to do 100% races...but considering that I want to progress pretty far into my career it will be better to do shorter races.

# 78 Bahnzo @ 09/22/10 09:46 AM
Well, codies forum has reports of a horrid pit stop bug. Not sure of the complete details, but it seems that when you pit, they hold you until the last car passes, basically putting you out in last place. Might be related to race length.

Also, seeing reports of terrible frame drops and stuttering...on the Xbox no less. grrr...

# 79 bonannogiovanni @ 09/22/10 10:37 AM
^^ I fear not....you could save between sessions only.

# 80 thurstones @ 09/22/10 10:39 AM
That pit "bug" happened to me, but it's fair enough that your team can't release you into traffic in the pit lane. Can't this easily be avoided by pitting the lap before or after most other drivers?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.