Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

Jason Barnes our creative director, and Mark Taylor our amazing gameplay testing lead wanted to show you guys what two very skilled fighters look like playing two very skilled fighters..

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Phobia @ 09/23/10 02:09 PM
THANKS MAN!!!

Watching Now!!

# 2 mgoblue @ 09/23/10 02:53 PM
Wow, that was pretty awesome. I'd love to see more of the devs playing with commentary over it, helps get a feel for things.

# 3 Mossfan8480 @ 09/23/10 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anim8or
Jason Barnes our creative director, and Mark Taylor our amazing gameplay testing lead wanted to show you guys what two very skilled fighters look like playing two very skilled fighters..
Thanks for the video, Simon. I appreciate you guys taking the time to have the fight for us, and also provide voice over with insight into the minds of the players.

The game looks like a lot of fun, and while it isn't a hardcore sim, it certainly seems like the MMA game we where all hoping UFC Undisputed 2010 was going to be.

My only real gripe is how fast the fighters move/slide. Is there a reason you and your team decided to have the fighters footwork at middleweight be so fast?

With that said, looks like I might have to put Super Street Fighter 4 down for the first time in a while come this Tuesday.

# 4 Gotmadskillzson @ 09/23/10 03:08 PM
Awesome video !

1. Leg kicks seem to really matter in this game. I seen quite a few stumbles from people being caught with a leg kick.

2. Throwing knees from half guard is just awesome. No longer do I have to get to side control to throw knees, I can do it from half guard as well, totally awesome !

3. Catching people with a well time body shot causes instant stamina drop, which is awesome.

4. Being able to ride back mount for as long as you want or until somebody kick you off with no force stand up is AWESOME.

5. Long submission battle is awesome !

6. Mayhem taunts was so funny.

7. Being able to parry shots from back mount and in guard is awesome.

8. I see stamina plays a big factor. Spend too much of it in the 1st round, you are screwed for the rest of the fight, which is realistic and awesome.

# 5 Phobia @ 09/23/10 03:28 PM
FANTASTIC VIDEO!!!!

This is what we were all after. Seeing a video with two guys that knew what they were doing. With the commentary over it just helps visualize what would be going through our own minds in planning and trying to execute.

GMSS said it all perfect. Everything about the video I thoroughly enjoyed. It is not overly realistic but looks fantastic and most of all looks a blast to play.

Demo can't get here fast enough!!!!

# 6 Anim8or @ 09/23/10 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossfan8480
Thanks for the video, Simon. I appreciate you guys taking the time to have the fight for us, and also provide voice over with insight into the minds of the players.

The game looks like a lot of fun, and while it isn't a hardcore sim, it certainly seems like the MMA game we where all hoping UFC Undisputed 2010 was going to be.

My only real gripe is how fast the fighters move/slide. Is there a reason you and your team decided to have the fighters footwork at middleweight be so fast?

With that said, looks like I might have to put Super Street Fighter 4 down for the first time in a while come this Tuesday.
We really just tuned it until it FELT right. The action of the lighter weight classes is very fast paced because it's how we think it should feel, it was important to not feel stuck in the pocket if you want to retreat (the reason for a ring or cage is because retreating in open space in REALITY, is pretty easy, striking in sport fighting is about cornering your opponent against the ropes or cage). The ability to disengage is important in the flow of a realistic fight. I promise you the foot sliding looks worse in these little low rez videos than it does at 60fps in HD. It bothers me in the videos too, but I really don't notice it when playing the game. You guys can judge for yourselves in a few days when the demo comes out (remember to share it to unlock classic Randy in the final games), but I can say I really don't think you will find the movement as unrealistic as you think it is right now from watching videos. Once people pick up the controls they "get it".

I said it in another thread and I think it bars repetition here because it's a good point (at least I think it is). The game IS a hard core simulator in my opinion, it's just not a hard core simulation. What I mean by that (simulatOR vs. simulatION), is that it's like a flight simulator or a driving simulator. Professional drivers don't drive on the grass or crash into walls, and professional pilots don't fly planes into the ground... but good simulators will let a user do that. This is a true simulation of the professional sport when both players fight like professional fighters, but it can also be a simulation of a naive street fight between skilled athletes when both fighters don't know what to do.

What I love about this game, is that players can absolutely dominate (better than any other fighting game I have played). I am no slouch at this game, I can pretty much KO anyone I want other than a few select guys on the game team, but Mark Taylor is a guy who can finish me off at will in this game and the only time I win is when he is toying with me and I catch him. If a new gamer pics up the game and learns the controls, there is about a one in a million chance that he beats Mark (I would say zero, but anyone can get crazy lucky)... Barnes is the same, watching the guy play against even talented players is often funny, because he will toy with them, taunt them, and then finish them at will.

# 7 Anim8or @ 09/23/10 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Concern.
It seems the person on bottom doesn't lose any stamina from defending passing attempts and the person attempting it loses a lot if it's blocked?
You gas VERY fast on the bottom.. that's just Mark being frickin' BRILLIANT. Trust me you get gassed way more on the bottom than on the top. Mark's stamina management and patience on the ground is very very good (he is the best fighter on the game team, which as lead gameplay tester... he should be).

# 8 Phobia @ 09/23/10 04:32 PM
Couple more questions came to mind. (Kind of just writing them out when they pop in my head)

1) If you have someones back against the cage in the stand up. Will their punch power be reduced?

2) Can leg kicks do enough damage over the course of a fight to cause a fighters movement to be reduced?

3) How many different submissions are in the game?

4) What are the available online features for a community such as ours here at OS. For leagues to be run smoothly. I know about the fight card, but from my understanding everyone must be online at the same time. Is there a league system in place?

5) How extensive is the create-a-fighter? Plenty of body types, hair types, etc?

# 9 Mossfan8480 @ 09/23/10 05:29 PM
Quote:
We really just tuned it until it FELT right. The action of the lighter weight classes is very fast paced because it's how we think it should feel, it was important to not feel stuck in the pocket if you want to retreat (the reason for a ring or cage is because retreating in open space in REALITY, is pretty easy, striking in sport fighting is about cornering your opponent against the ropes or cage). The ability to disengage is important in the flow of a realistic fight. I promise you the foot sliding looks worse in these little low rez videos than it does at 60fps in HD. It bothers me in the videos too, but I really don't notice it when playing the game. You guys can judge for yourselves in a few days when the demo comes out (remember to share it to unlock classic Randy in the final games), but I can say I really don't think you will find the movement as unrealistic as you think it is right now from watching videos. Once people pick up the controls they "get it".

I said it in another thread and I think it bars repetition here because it's a good point (at least I think it is). The game IS a hard core simulator in my opinion, it's just not a hard core simulation. What I mean by that (simulatOR vs. simulatION), is that it's like a flight simulator or a driving simulator. Professional drivers don't drive on the grass or crash into walls, and professional pilots don't fly planes into the ground... but good simulators will let a user do that. This is a true simulation of the professional sport when both players fight like professional fighters, but it can also be a simulation of a naive street fight between skilled athletes when both fighters don't know what to do.

What I love about this game, is that players can absolutely dominate (better than any other fighting game I have played). I am no slouch at this game, I can pretty much KO anyone I want other than a few select guys on the game team, but Mark Taylor is a guy who can finish me off at will in this game and the only time I win is when he is toying with me and I catch him. If a new gamer pics up the game and learns the controls, there is about a one in a million chance that he beats Mark (I would say zero, but anyone can get crazy lucky)... Barnes is the same, watching the guy play against even talented players is often funny, because he will toy with them, taunt them, and then finish them at will.
Thanks for the reply, Simon. As you mentioned, how the game feels is far more important than how it looks, and as you pointed out, the low-res videos may be causing the sliding to be more pronounced.

I actually just read your post in the other thread regarding the game being a more of a simulatOR than a simulatION, and that's exactly what I'm looking for from a MMA game. A balance of both, obviously, but not so much a simulation where the only way to win becomes picking the best fighter first.

I'm glad to hear the game contains enough substance and depth that players' skill levels are easily discernible. This is one of most important aspects to any sports/fighting game, and when lacking, diminishes the replay value of said game significantly.

# 10 Anim8or @ 09/23/10 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Couple more questions came to mind. (Kind of just writing them out when they pop in my head)

1) If you have someones back against the cage in the stand up. Will their punch power be reduced?

2) Can leg kicks do enough damage over the course of a fight to cause a fighters movement to be reduced?

3) How many different submissions are in the game?

4) What are the available online features for a community such as ours here at OS. For leagues to be run smoothly. I know about the fight card, but from my understanding everyone must be online at the same time. Is there a league system in place?

5) How extensive is the create-a-fighter? Plenty of body types, hair types, etc?
Yes among other things, like their speed and ability to dash. There are some depth features for guys who understand how to control the ring and cut off retreat angles. A lot of KOs occur near the cage in real life for a reason, mainly that you can't use movement to retreat which makes you highly vulnerable, in our game you see that too. You will feel it when your back is to the cage and quickly learn it's not a good thing..

Yes, they actually reduce your movement speed right away, one clean leg kick can temporarily slow you down a bit, but hacking away at legs is definitely one method to reduce your opponent's speed and power in the game and when legs are hurt they stay hurt for a while.

not sure of the actual number, but we basically put in all the ones we have seen used in real fights, off the top of my head I know we have RNC, guillotine, kimura, americana (AKA Keylock), armbar, kneebar, darce, heel hook, arm triangle, leg triangle, omaplata, gogoplata, climbing armbar, inverted kneebar (thank Aoiki for finishing a fight with one of those!)... I may be missing some, this is off the top of my head. There are 3 distinct submission mechanics in the game Leglocks, armlocks, and chokes.

this is a tough one for me to answer because legally I am not fully sure what I can and can't talk about and to what level (I have screwed up in OS in the past, so I am super careful now). Look for the video on online features. I have been helping test fight cards, and I absolute think it's my favorite thing in the game for playing. Live Broadcast is awesome, but I will get a ton of use out of fight cards.

I think create fighter is fantastic, I love the way Barnes and team lay it out for you to set all the attributes manually with a set number of points (or you go through career and level up where you want through training in various gyms around the globe). A lot of team members have just been playing around with making fighters to create fun match-ups (martial arts movie heroes comes to mind as a very fun tournament we had a few weeks ago on the gameplay team... LOL).

# 11 Gotmadskillzson @ 09/23/10 05:48 PM
Since we on leg kicks, I got a couple of questions.

1. Can we check leg kicks ?

2. If landed enough, can a fight be stopped via TKO from leg kicks ? Kind of how Crocop use to do guys in Pride ?

3. Can you slam escape out of certain submissions like triangles and arm bars ?

4. Is the standing kimura submission in the game ?

5. Can use the kimura from the bottom as a sweep move ? Speaking of sweep moves, are there sweep moves from the bottom ? Lets say you have a butterfly guard, can you use it to sweep the guy that is on top of you ?

# 12 Phobia @ 09/23/10 05:49 PM
Quote:
1)Yes among other things, like their speed and ability to dash. There are some depth features for guys who understand how to control the ring and cut off retreat angles. A lot of KOs occur near the cage in real life for a reason, mainly that you can't use movement to retreat which makes you highly vulnerable, in our game you see that too. You will feel it when your back is to the cage and quickly learn it's not a good thing..

Yes, they actually reduce your movement speed right away, one clean leg kick can temporarily slow you down a bit, but 2)hacking away at legs is definitely one method to reduce your opponent's speed and power in the game and when legs are hurt they stay hurt for a while.

not sure of the actual number, but we basically put in all the ones we have seen used in real fights, off the top of my head I know we have 3)RNC, guillotine, kimura, americana (AKA Keylock), armbar, kneebar, darce, heel hook, arm triangle, leg triangle, omaplata, gogoplata, climbing armbar, inverted kneebar (thank Aoiki for finishing a fight with one of those!)... I may be missing some, this is off the top of my head. There are 3 distinct submission mechanics in the game Leglocks, armlocks, and chokes.

4)this is a tough one for me to answer because legally I am not fully sure what I can and can't talk about and to what level (I have screwed up in OS in the past, so I am super careful now). Look for the video on online features. I have been helping test fight cards, and I absolute think it's my favorite thing in the game for playing. Live Broadcast is awesome, but I will get a ton of use out of fight cards.

I think create fighter is fantastic, I love the way Barnes and team lay it out for you to set all the attributes manually with a set number of points (or you go through career and level up where you want through training in various gyms around the globe). A lot of team members have just been playing around with making fighters to create fun match-ups (5)martial arts movie heroes comes to mind as a very fun tournament we had a few weeks ago on the gameplay team... LOL).
1) & 2)Excellent to hear
3) WOW impressive
4) Completely understand
5) LOL great idea

Thanks again for answering our questions

# 13 Mike Smoove @ 09/23/10 06:11 PM
This looks awesome, definitely looks better than the other game. However I dont like how they move so fast, but everything else looks great.

# 14 milin @ 09/23/10 06:56 PM
The game looks great!! Just one question:

Does it have gameplay sliders?

# 15 Dazraz @ 09/23/10 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smoove
This looks awesome, definitely looks better than the other game. However I dont like how they move so fast, but everything else looks great.
I agree. It crazy fast. That said this is the first video of MMA that I've been really impressed by. Look forward to the demo.

# 16 milin @ 09/23/10 07:20 PM
Also I forgot to say that the only think I didn't like is the slide forward when striking from a distance. Other than that, I'm really pumped up for this.

# 17 NINJAK2 @ 09/23/10 07:21 PM
Very impressed by this video. Looks good.

# 18 Anim8or @ 09/23/10 07:49 PM
1. Can we check leg kicks ? - Yes, the basic block looks like a check, but the parry is a more powerful "active" check (like cranking your shin into your opponent's calf or hooking his leg to throw him off balance)

2. If landed enough, can a fight be stopped via TKO from leg kicks ? Kind of how Crocop use to do guys in Pride ?
No, we don't have the ref stop the fight (I think there would be an exploit there), but if your legs are gone you probably won't survive long, you really get to a point where you can barely move.

3. Can you slam escape out of certain submissions like triangles and arm bars ?
-sort of. The escapes for certain submissions (like triangle) is a slam, and the denial for some, is a slam, but it's context sensitive not something you decide to do manually.

4. Is the standing kimura submission in the game ?
-No, I haven't seen fights end with that submission. I am sure it's happened at some point but it wasn't common enough to add (at least on this first iteration).

5. Can use the kimura from the bottom as a sweep move ? Speaking of sweep moves, are there sweep moves from the bottom ? Lets say you have a butterfly guard, can you use it to sweep the guy that is on top of you ?
-There are sweep moves in the game, but like real life (at least with someone who as trained) to get a sweep your opponent has to be doing something wrong, so since we didn't want the game to become a "Sweep fest" we used sweeps as "counters" in order to balance the risk of aggressive transition attempts (like trying to move from half guard to straight to mount).
-I like doing the Kimura sweep from full guard in real life it's actually probably the easiest sweep to do against guys who don't know any jujitsu, but it's taught so early in BJJ that everyone sees it coming these days, and if he sees it coming you are basically setting up an arm triangle for him when you let him get his head under your arm (and these days arm triangles are pretty common, so you put a guys head in your armpit to free your arm to lock the Kimura in, and he is going to just say "OK" and as soon as you lock your elbow around his head in that direction he'll free up his wrist lock it around your neck, use the leverage you are applying to sweep him to swing out into side control and choke you out)... It was talked about and debated on the team, but in the end the jujitsu guys sorta said "no one tries it anymore, it's too risky". It's totally debatable though, because it is such a basic BJJ sweep.

# 19 EarvGotti @ 09/23/10 08:06 PM
Very Nice man, this game is looking great. Before, I only had my eyes set on NBA 2K11....but now i cant wait for this game!!!

# 20 yellowboy91 @ 09/23/10 08:09 PM
can u download created players like on fight night

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.