Home
News Post

To start things off, let me tell you a little bit about my virtual racing experience so you know where I'm coming from. I have mostly been a Forza driver recently, but years ago my friends and I played a lot of Geoff Crammond's racing games on PC, starting with Stunt Car Racer and moving along to F1GP and Grand Prix 2. Since that point in my racing life, I have mostly been playing more arcade-style games on various consoles, and for the last year I have clocked a lot of hours with Forza Motorsport 3, which in my opinion was a pretty solid effort -- a perfect hybrid of arcade and simulation.

But since I follow the F1 circus and enjoy a virtual racing session every now and then, I have been waiting for a proper F1 game for a long, long time. However, when I heard Codemasters was the company with the rights for F1, I was a bit apprehensive. Although Codemasters had done great racing games in the past (TOCA, Colin McRae), the later games like Dirt and Grid were a bit too light for my taste.

Thankfully, those fears have been squelched. After just a few days of racing in F1 2010, I had already forgotten about my pessimism and was enthusiastically driving full practice sessions, trying to find the perfect setups for different tracks, and throwing the car around in a way that is only possible when you have huge amounts of downforce available. And that last element is the one thing that F1 2010 does best. The feeling of driving a car that weighs just over 600 kg and has over 700 bhp is just amazing. You can throw the car into corners with speeds that make your head go dizzy. It takes a while to get used to the performance these cars have, but once you start to have confidence in the ridiculous amount of grip and power F1 cars have it's a blast!

Read More - F1 2010 Review

Game: F1 2010Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 6 - View All
F1 2010 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 emelki1968 @ 10/11/10 06:24 PM
Excellent review. I found interesting the lack of a safety car. Also you can't see very well the lights when you start a race from the last positions -I don't know if there is a way to zoom it-. The other two things that I would love to see for the next one: A real tactic when you have to change the tires, and to make your comments during the press conference worth it.

# 2 stlstudios189 @ 10/11/10 10:27 PM
I can't wait to try this game. sounds awesome.

# 3 Dazraz @ 10/12/10 03:31 AM
Your review is spot on. I echo what emelki1968 states. The start lights are not visible. Also there is no real skill involved in starting off the grid. A surprise as this is one of the most influential points of any F1 race.

# 4 Lieutenant Dan @ 10/12/10 10:13 AM
Great, balanced, fair review. You mentioned the bugs, and thank you for confirming to the readers that Codies are working on a patch (including the pit problem, again that's an easy workaround by pitting a lap early or later than the planned stop).

Even the Codies forums are settling down a bit while everyone waits for the patch.

F1 2010 is SO much fun, and your review really hit on this. The word that comes to mind is ADDICTIVE. This is higher grade car-crack than Forza 3 for me...I can spend two hours without thinking about it trying to beat my own times on a circuit in time trials, trying to climb positions on the leaderboards!

I love the AI in the races....chasing down the Red Bull drivers, reeling them in a tenth of a second at a time. You have to be smart and patient with your overtakes so you don't wreck or take a penalty, or overshoot that next turn! The nice thing about the AI as well is it's fun even at the lower difficulties (just not as fast).

This game is FANTASTIC for someone like myself who is an F1 noob to get into the sport.

F1 2010 is such a great base as fun and addictive as it is. I can't wait to see what's in store for F1 2011, but until then, I'll enjoy the racing, climbing the team ladders, demoralizing my teammate (lol) and shaving seconds off my times.

# 5 JokerswildXOXO @ 10/12/10 05:33 PM
Just a great review. With the safety cars, track marshalls, champagne celebration and pre-race lap missing this is still one of the best F! games ever released. Even better than Playstations verision a few years ago.

# 6 Lieutenant Dan @ 10/13/10 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerswildXOXO
Just a great review. With the safety cars, track marshalls, champagne celebration and pre-race lap missing this is still one of the best F! games ever released. Even better than Playstations verision a few years ago.
That's an ideal list of stuff to add for F1 2011

I actually got to watch the Suzuka F1 race Sunday afternoon on Speed. That was great!

# 7 milesizdead @ 10/14/10 05:30 AM
Thanks for the great feedback guys
Playing the game was just so much fun that the review wrote itself pretty much.
On my second season at the moment, trying to catch up the real season so I could finish at the same time as the real racers.
Driving 100% races so itīs difficult to find the time, gotta play EASHL as well you know

# 8 die2cry @ 10/14/10 09:53 AM
I think the game is not realistic, by for example a racing game distance of 30%, then the opponent does not make pit stops ..... how to win as ever?

The second point is: in the middle of difficulty, the damage on the car have no influence on driving behavior. that's ****ed up totally.

ok, the weather simulation is very good, and it's really fun to just take, but it does not, if the damage to the fun does not work, or the rules are not 100% are observed

# 9 milesizdead @ 10/14/10 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by die2cry
I think the game is not realistic, by for example a racing game distance of 30%, then the opponent does not make pit stops ..... how to win as ever?

The second point is: in the middle of difficulty, the damage on the car have no influence on driving behavior. that's ****ed up totally.

ok, the weather simulation is very good, and it's really fun to just take, but it does not, if the damage to the fun does not work, or the rules are not 100% are observed
Opponent not doing pitstops is one of the AI problems which hopefully will be patched.
Car damage you can adjust yourself in the options even if you pick a lower difficulty. So that might make the game better for you.

# 10 catcatch22 @ 10/17/10 09:32 AM
love the game just wish I had more time to play. If this game came out 10 years ago it easily take up all my time.

# 11 andyf1 @ 04/05/11 12:38 PM
review 5/5

# 12 Rules @ 04/05/11 04:50 PM
Any idea when the next patch is due as I might pick this up for the PS3?

# 13 BIG CAROLINA @ 04/05/11 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
Any idea when the next patch is due as I might pick this up for the PS3?
Never. They have put all of their efforts into F1 2011.

# 14 Rules @ 04/05/11 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAROLINA
Never. They have put all of their efforts into F1 2011.
That's fine, I just bought it off of Amazon so I can't wait.

# 15 Rules @ 04/07/11 07:48 PM
THis game is my new favorite racer! ABSOLUTELY A BLAST!!!

# 16 woody2goody @ 04/07/11 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rules
THis game is my new favorite racer! ABSOLUTELY A BLAST!!!
The online is outstanding as well mate. If you want to join a good league sign up at www.apexracingleague.com

I hope they can give us more timing and telemetry details for 2011. A custom helmet designer wouldn't be a bad thing either

# 17 Lieutenant Dan @ 04/08/11 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody
The online is outstanding as well mate. If you want to join a good league sign up at www.apexracingleague.com

I hope they can give us more timing and telemetry details for 2011. A custom helmet designer wouldn't be a bad thing either
From your keyboard to their eyes, I hope woody. I agree, F12010 is really, really fun.

# 18 Brew @ 04/08/11 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2goody

Do they have a car design tool in the game? That would be cool too!

Im going to pick this up next Friday... been mulling it for a while now and need a racer to use my G27 with since NTG11 is having issues with the FFB.

# 19 Lieutenant Dan @ 04/08/11 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew
Do they have a car design tool in the game? That would be cool too!

Im going to pick this up next Friday... been mulling it for a while now and need a racer to use my G27 with since NTG11 is having issues with the FFB.
Sorry, Brew. You can't work your magic in this game. Hopefully 2011 will have it but no one knows yet.

# 20 Rules @ 04/09/11 10:22 AM
No kidding, this game is addictive. I am really impressed by how good this game is. The weather system is by far the most amazing thing I have seen in any video game. Could you imagine if they were able to do this in a football or baseball game?

So I am at my first race and the weather forecast shows sunny for race time. Towards the end of practice, I can see the gray clouds moving in and it sure looks like it is going to rain during qualifications and possibly into the race. I ignore the forecast and move to an adaptive balance just in case as I did not want to be setup for all dry conditions. During quals it almost seems like it is going to rain at any second which is weighing on my mind the entire time. After 20 minutes, the skies start to clear up and the sun comes out for the race. Not setup up as fast as I would have liked but I really loved the weather factor coming into play.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.