Home
Fight Night Champion News Post

OK guys,

I Wanted to give the crew here at OS the heads up. I am heading out to the community day event in Vancouver to speak for you all. Most of you guys know Money99 and ShakyR were at last year's event.

Granted I am more of a MMA base, but I know my share about boxing also. Not necessarily on a technical level as ShakyR or Money though. With that said I want to get you guys to put down the most glaring issues you want mentioned or looked into.

I have already been going through the issues from here and gathering a list of what I want to check on and speak about. I also have my own issues with the game I want addressed so I will be speaking about those also.

First of all I HATE the counter window. I think the game needs to flow smoothly and reflect the game play in the animations of the fighter. Not some gamey flash pause.

I also want to see a great usage of speed of hands and stamina reworked. You watch a game of FN4 and then watch a real fight. Real fight you have guys throwing lighting quick 3 or 4 punches (depending on weight division) but you also see a progressive slow down of each punch. In FN4, the punches are slow and stamina needs a complete retooling.

It works from a technical level but I don't think it correctly portrays the fight game. Do i know the solution of it? Not really, but I want to see something much different than these bars. We are in a age where health bars and stamina bars should NOT be needed or used. There is zero reason why they can't add 1000 animations to cover different aspect to relay to the user what is happening to your fighter.

No different than NBA 2k11 having some of the best animations that make the gameplay truly look like a broad cast. This is the biggest issue with EA sports titles. Lack of animations or instead tried to be made up for with gamey additions such as the low blow, flash window, clinch, etc.

So with all that said. What I ask from you is to give me whatever info you want relayed to the people at EA. Guys who know me, know I am very passionate about simulation in my video games. I will do my best to represent you guys in the best possible way. So help me, so i can help you.

Key things I want to see if its been changed.

1) Camera
2) Stamina system
3) On screen icons
4) animations
5) Way more variety in knock downs. WAY WAY to many straight KO's in FN4
6) Better foot work
7) Better combo system and penalty for throwing non linking combos(slowed load up times and delivery)
8) Presentation presentation presentation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9) Fight likeness. Fighters should be fighting like their real life counter part.

Also what are your point of view on a camera view similar to EA MMA. I have always hated the extreme close up view of FN3&4. Granted I know boxing is a waste up sport in the sense you don't use your feet to attack. But the foot work is extremely important and I would LOVE to see different foot work for different fighters such as Muhammad Ali's footwork or the slow strut in like Tony. This would help in the realism factor of movement.

I tend to favor the Victorious Boxers camera view. I like a slightly pulled out view to see the ring, action, and complete boxer. What are your views on this as a community?

Game: Fight Night ChampionReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Fight Night Champion Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Money99 @ 10/19/10 08:57 PM
Have fun Phobia and represent well!

For me, I'd love to see you address the following issues:

1. More effective jabs.
2. Ratings for every punch.
3. More pop to the crosses.
4. Stamina for everything from punches to clinching to sway, bobs and weaves.
5. Offline career mode. I really want to see where they've gone with this. I'd love to see a lot more realistic training, diets, injuries and out-of-ring decisions such as managers, promoters, running a stable of fighters, etc.

Again, congrats on the invite and have a fun time! Enjoy the game!

# 2 Steve_OS @ 10/19/10 09:35 PM
Have fun out there Phobia!

Bring back as much as you can.

# 3 Complex @ 10/20/10 06:42 AM
Wonderful news. I would like to hear as much new information about career mode as possible

# 4 phillyfan23 @ 10/20/10 07:45 AM
hey PHOBIA

just check one thing from me....

last year the crosses were way underpowered, even when using a fighter whose money punch is the cross.

Wladimir klitschko and pacquiao's crosses are their go to weapons. But instead, the only way to reallhy hurt your opponents are thru hooks and uppercuts....if you're using Mike Tyson, this is the way it's supposed to be, but when you use Pacquiao, his left straight should ALWAYS be his most devastating punch eventhough he has KO power in his hooks and uppercuts.

If this is fixed, everything else is gravy.....

# 5 BezO @ 10/20/10 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Key things I want to see if its been changed.

1) Camera
2) Stamina system
3) On screen icons
4) animations
5) Way more variety in knock downs. WAY WAY to many straight KO's in FN4
6) Better foot work
7) Better combo system and penalty for throwing non linking combos(slowed load up times and delivery)
8) Presentation presentation presentation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9) Fight likeness. Fighters should be fighting like their real life counter part.

Also what are your point of view on a camera view similar to EA MMA. I have always hated the extreme close up view of FN3&4. Granted I know boxing is a waste up sport in the sense you don't use your feet to attack. But the foot work is extremely important and I would LOVE to see different foot work for different fighters such as Muhammad Ali's footwork or the slow strut in like Tony. This would help in the realism factor of movement.

I tend to favor the Victorious Boxers camera view. I like a slightly pulled out view to see the ring, action, and complete boxer. What are your views on this as a community?
Nice list! Hopefully we get what we want. Some specifics...

Camera - I too like a pulled back view so I can see the boxers, but I also want it to be stationary. I want to see the boxers move around the ring, not the camera move around the boxers.

On Screen Icons - We need options to turn everything off. If it doesn't appear on Showtime, HBO, PPV, an option to turn it off would be great. We should be able to see fatigue & damange by way of graphics any way.

# 6 TDKing @ 10/20/10 11:06 AM
I'll let you guys handle all the tech boxing points. My issue is the same issue I have with other EA Games. I want to be able to have an Online Multiplayer PRIVATE career mode. Similar to NCAA online Dynasty mode.

Global = Cheesers, Private = Friends

# 7 SHAKYR @ 10/20/10 05:29 PM
I want realism, presentation, details to the sport of boxing, depth, total customization, tendencies, abilities, arm fatigue, options, boxers shold fht like who hy should be, unlimited CAB slots, and a detail CAB Mode.

# 8 Pappy Knuckles @ 10/20/10 06:12 PM
Have fun in Vancouver. I had a good time when I was up there. Beautiful city.

# 9 Complex @ 10/20/10 07:29 PM
I don't want the jab of Lennox Lewis to look like the jab of Pernell Whitaker.

# 10 statum71 @ 10/21/10 06:30 PM
I'm glad you mentioned presentation.

Please hammer this home. I don't care how much guys in the Madden community seem to sweep it aside...presentation is HUGE!!!! Thats what makes MLB The Show and NBA 2K11 so great.

And it would be nice to have a regular presentation like ESPN Friday Nihgt Fights. And then a PPV presentation. Kinda like UFC 2010 has two levels.

One more thing....Can you ask about getting title matches in exhibition this time? I'm not a Career Mode player so I never get to see championship matches. Or at least, give us the ability to play ANY match we want in Career mode.

# 11 JohnDoe8865 @ 10/24/10 11:40 PM
Please keep CABS in Career mode.
I'm very much in favor of a camera pulled farther out.
Career mode offline. Any details... Please let them know we want serious depth.
Presentation can't be said enough time. Full ring entrances. More atmosphere. Better crowds.
Create a Title, is it a possibility?
More options for CABs and plz give us a way to unlock all of the gear right away.
Stamina system needs a major overhaul. I dont even know where to start.

# 12 Phobia @ 10/25/10 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Have fun Phobia and represent well!

For me, I'd love to see you address the following issues:

1. More effective jabs.
2. Ratings for every punch.
3. More pop to the crosses.
4. Stamina for everything from punches to clinching to sway, bobs and weaves.
5. Offline career mode. I really want to see where they've gone with this. I'd love to see a lot more realistic training, diets, injuries and out-of-ring decisions such as managers, promoters, running a stable of fighters, etc.

Again, congrats on the invite and have a fun time! Enjoy the game!
Thanks Money, I can't wait should be a blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Have fun out there Phobia!

Bring back as much as you can.
Will do Steve, got the camera ready. Detailed trip log with pictures will follow when I return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAKYR
I want realism, presentation, details to the sport of boxing, depth, total customization, tendencies, abilities, arm fatigue, options, boxers shold fht like who hy should be, unlimited CAB slots, and a detail CAB Mode.
I got your PM's shakyr and will go over many of these issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Have fun in Vancouver. I had a good time when I was up there. Beautiful city.
Yea Pappy it should be tight. Never been but heard it is really beautiful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by statum71
I'm glad you mentioned presentation.

Please hammer this home. I don't care how much guys in the Madden community seem to sweep it aside...presentation is HUGE!!!! Thats what makes MLB The Show and NBA 2K11 so great.

And it would be nice to have a regular presentation like ESPN Friday Nihgt Fights. And then a PPV presentation. Kinda like UFC 2010 has two levels.

One more thing....Can you ask about getting title matches in exhibition this time? I'm not a Career Mode player so I never get to see championship matches. Or at least, give us the ability to play ANY match we want in Career mode.
Yea Statum this is one of my big areas. I am a huge 2k fan in general. Mainly because their presentation is pretty much always top notch. NBA2k11 really showed how blurring the line between real life and video game is possible. All our popular sports franchises should be at this level with no problem right now. Yet very few are. Copy the TV camera angles, camera cuts, fake commercials ala NBA2k11, and represent them in the game the same way they appear on TV. I don't understand why developers can't get this right. Should not be much harder than contacting the TV stations such as ESPN.

But anyway, I could go into that for a while. I will be pushing presentation hard. With gameplay being #1.

# 13 Phobia @ 10/25/10 03:01 PM
First post updated with new screen shot of Champion

# 14 Phobia @ 10/25/10 03:07 PM
Latest Blog
http://www.easports.com/blogs/produc...sion-oct-28-29

Quote:
FIGHT NIGHT CHAMPION Feedback Session Oct 28-29
25-October-2010

This week the FIGHT NIGHT CHAMPION development team will be hosting a community feedback session bringing in seven hardcore gamers to get their hands-on an early version of the game. With the game slated for release in 2011, the team is hard at work implementing new features and this session will allow them to get some first hand feedback from guys representing a range of boxing gamers in the community.

fn_mt_com_eve_1280x720

As with previous feedback sessions, there will be information embargoes on main features in the game however the invites will get a chance to see the entire game and, in time, will be able to provide their own game and feature impressions. Following the session, however, they will be given the opportunity to share info on their visit along with their overall impressions of the game along with a couple new screenshots to share. Look for those next week.

Representing the EA SPORTS FIGHT NIGHT Forums, a majority of our moderating staff will be on hand with Quenton “xxreignmakaaxx” O’Neal, Anthony, “Indigo72” Lynn, and Rob “wepeeler” Smith making the trip to Vancouver. Ant also runs http://UntilTheNextRound.com a website devoted to amateur boxing and you can find Rob’s awesome videos on his YouTube page at http://wepeeler.tv.

Along with Rob, another returnee from FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4’s Community Event is Tyrone “Darxide” Kirk representing Max Boxing and is an admin on their forums. From Operation Sports, we’ll also have long-time forum member Derek “Phobia” Hernandez present to represent the rabid fans from the hardcore sports video game site.

Finally, we put out a call on our forums for community members to let us know why they should receive an invitation to the event and after receiving quite a number of detailed responses, we selected Justin “TERMINALD” Allen as the community representative. TERM is one of the top ranked players in the game and his skills will most definitely be put to use testing out gameplay aspects and we’ll be looking to see if we can get his thumbs up going forward.

Stay tuned for my recap of the event and let us know in the comments below what you hope to see in FIGHT

# 15 SHAKYR @ 10/25/10 07:36 PM
“More questions to be asked at Community Day and things to look for”

1. Did you guys work on capturing the realistic tendencies, abilities, and attributes of each boxer? This is something I noticed a lot of sports games are doing, games like FIFA 2011, NBA 2K11, and UFC 2010 to say the least.

2.Speaking of tendencies. Will we have them and will we be able to adjust them through sliders?

3.Will the sliders return? They were a fan's favorite. Will there be more and will they actually add depth to cetain things within the game?

4.Will we have deep customization of the game in our hands?

5.Clinching: will we be able to utilize it like a real boxing match?

6.Real-time counters; will we see them?

7.Corner game; will the point system be gone?

8.Realistic swelling; will we get this?

# 16 clivo1050 @ 10/26/10 01:59 AM
will there be one-punch knockouts online?

# 17 bbarr43 @ 10/26/10 11:15 AM
I am hoping these issues would be addressed to make it more sim feel this year than the arcade stuff:

- Take away the goofy punch sounds, make it more realistic. The first Fight Night was way better. A punch is not a bazooka, or sonic boom, it's a wiff. It's like hearing a dorky shot gun with two guys colliding with helmets in football, it's just plain dumb and not the right sound. These guys have gloves on, it needs to sound like it
- Boxers need to feel alive with good foot movement and general manuevering, side stepping, as they still feel like rock em sock em robots. For example, Ali should not be evasive only because he has more speed to back away, he has amazing lateral movement, he's bouncing and swaying. I'm not feeling the bouncing. It's Mechwarrior action going on here
-Punches need to have some pop, should feel like they have pop, and we should see a lot more head pop with the jab.. Not just the computer's physic system determined the punch took away 0.5% damage from my head while his head stood there like a rock
- On the same note, there should be advance/retreat punches or defensive/offensive punches (elastic recoil is a good term)
- How about a lot more variety of animation in clinch action? A lot of variety of punches in real boxing can occur in the clinch. Knockdowns are possible.. how about bullying in the clinch? Like feeling Foreman's strength to body you up in the corner, Tyson getting an uppercut in close
- Game speed needs to go way up, have you guys seen a real life punch? Milliseconds v. seconds
- We need game speed and game tuning sliders like Madden/NBA 2k11
- Parries and blocking are okay, but the system is just way over the top arcadey. Remove the flash counter, change up the variance of perfect blocks using different outcomes. I should feel different timing with punch and counter windows.
- No more hook, body glitch spam punches.. Spamming has got to go. I want to be beat by an opponent who out boxed-strategized me, not punch spammed through a dumb EA glitch or because EA programmers wanted a way to secretly be in the Top 10 online
- Take note of NBA 2k11's animation variety. They got about 3,500? How about 5,000 animations for boxing?
- I'm hoping we will actually have a smart ranking system this year

Well, a start for my two cents. Geez, maybe I missed my calling.. I have a passion for sports gaming, so I'm up for hire EA! Seems like these concepts are pretty basic for boxing, so I'm crossing my fingers.

# 18 BezO @ 10/26/10 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbarr43
- Parries and blocking are okay, but the system is just way over the top arcadey. Remove the flash counter
Yes please! All "fun" elements should be optional.

Also, any chance of simulation vs arcade mode? This way, all the "fun" elements could be reserved for the arcade mode: Flash counter, long counter windows, ragdoll knockdowns, ect.

# 19 Armor and Sword @ 10/26/10 02:03 PM
I loved FN4. I thought it was the best boxing game I have ever played. So any improvements are really gravey for me. The one thing I truly hope for though is like most everyone else a deep and immersive career mode. I thought presentation was pretty solid with the ring side commentry being really good and feeling very natural and flowing. I would like ESPN intergration (Friday nights fights) PPV championship fights, and the ability to play other bouts in career mode.

It's all about career mode. Game play was really good in FN4 and I loved the analog TPC system. it was not perfect but don't get away from that, just make it tighter. Make traning more fun and include diets, making weight, hiring trainers etc. And of course even more fighters than before, and keep the EA share feature. I loved being able to download all the Rocky fighters (Mr T, Apollo, Drago etc) Larry Homes, Leon Spinks so many classic and current fighters people made, great stuff.

Really look forward to this one!

# 20 Phobia @ 10/26/10 05:50 PM
Ok guys I got all the information I need. I also spent plenty of time with the game. I am heading out and won't be on OS for couple days. Not messing with bringing a laptop. So when I return on the 30th, I will share what I can with you guys.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.