Home
Fight Night Champion News Post

OK guys,

I Wanted to give the crew here at OS the heads up. I am heading out to the community day event in Vancouver to speak for you all. Most of you guys know Money99 and ShakyR were at last year's event.

Granted I am more of a MMA base, but I know my share about boxing also. Not necessarily on a technical level as ShakyR or Money though. With that said I want to get you guys to put down the most glaring issues you want mentioned or looked into.

I have already been going through the issues from here and gathering a list of what I want to check on and speak about. I also have my own issues with the game I want addressed so I will be speaking about those also.

First of all I HATE the counter window. I think the game needs to flow smoothly and reflect the game play in the animations of the fighter. Not some gamey flash pause.

I also want to see a great usage of speed of hands and stamina reworked. You watch a game of FN4 and then watch a real fight. Real fight you have guys throwing lighting quick 3 or 4 punches (depending on weight division) but you also see a progressive slow down of each punch. In FN4, the punches are slow and stamina needs a complete retooling.

It works from a technical level but I don't think it correctly portrays the fight game. Do i know the solution of it? Not really, but I want to see something much different than these bars. We are in a age where health bars and stamina bars should NOT be needed or used. There is zero reason why they can't add 1000 animations to cover different aspect to relay to the user what is happening to your fighter.

No different than NBA 2k11 having some of the best animations that make the gameplay truly look like a broad cast. This is the biggest issue with EA sports titles. Lack of animations or instead tried to be made up for with gamey additions such as the low blow, flash window, clinch, etc.

So with all that said. What I ask from you is to give me whatever info you want relayed to the people at EA. Guys who know me, know I am very passionate about simulation in my video games. I will do my best to represent you guys in the best possible way. So help me, so i can help you.

Key things I want to see if its been changed.

1) Camera
2) Stamina system
3) On screen icons
4) animations
5) Way more variety in knock downs. WAY WAY to many straight KO's in FN4
6) Better foot work
7) Better combo system and penalty for throwing non linking combos(slowed load up times and delivery)
8) Presentation presentation presentation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9) Fight likeness. Fighters should be fighting like their real life counter part.

Also what are your point of view on a camera view similar to EA MMA. I have always hated the extreme close up view of FN3&4. Granted I know boxing is a waste up sport in the sense you don't use your feet to attack. But the foot work is extremely important and I would LOVE to see different foot work for different fighters such as Muhammad Ali's footwork or the slow strut in like Tony. This would help in the realism factor of movement.

I tend to favor the Victorious Boxers camera view. I like a slightly pulled out view to see the ring, action, and complete boxer. What are your views on this as a community?

Game: Fight Night ChampionReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Fight Night Champion Videos
Member Comments
# 21 80tiesBaBy @ 10/28/10 01:40 AM
Another thing this game needs is way more current fighters the classic fighters are cool ,but it alot of good current fighters out there also .There needs to b lots of fighters.Also u shold be able to come out to your own custom music, and mayweather is a must,presentation, and #1 really great SIM gameplay.

# 22 paptester @ 10/28/10 01:44 PM
I THINK U SHOULD BE ABLE TO EDIT ALL BOXERS TO THE WAY U WANT THEM TO BE. FROM ATTRIBUTES TO WHAT TYPE OF PUNCHES THEY THROW TO THE KIND OF PERSONALITY THEY HAVE ETC. AND THE COUNTER WINDOW NEEDS TO BE TURNED OFF. THEY ALSO NEED TO WORK ON THE FOOT WORK BIG TIME. AND ALSO THEY NEED TO FIX THE JAB. THE JAB NEEDS TO BE MORE AFFECTIVE, ESPECIALLY FOR GUYS LIKE ALI AND LENNOX LEWIS.

# 23 gwaping123 @ 10/29/10 07:26 AM
During training I hope they change the attire instead of already wearing whay they will be wearing during the fight. Maybe you can change it to something casual like jogging pants, hoodies, sleeveless shirts, etc...Also add a jump rope training sim as well.

Thanks!

# 24 bbarr43 @ 10/29/10 10:36 AM
Another thing I thought about, you all remember Knockout Kings? In 2001 I believe there was a button that unleashed a set of quick lightning combos. What would be nice is if you could actually perform those quickly, but only manually. I don't see how we could get that with analog controls, it would seem to have to go back to buttons. Meaning, you have the ability to throw super quick combos, at the expense of some good stamina loss.

People brought out the need for better foot movement. Something definitely needs to be worked here. I'm thinking a little like UFC where fighters can run to and away from their opponent. I don't think it needs to be that drastic, but FN needs to have better retreat/charge opponent maneuvers. I'm thinking about some Tyson fights or just general fights where an opponent gets one punch that dazed him for a second, then Tyson would run and charge him with multiple bombs. Have some lunging charging punches and retreating defensive punches. There should be a lot of different scenarios here too. FN always has this canned thing where I dazed my opponent. Ok, now I just try to KO him with punches while he just tries to block. How about mixing up the outcomes? Like, my opponent got dazed, and his only way out is to run this time, but he can actually bolt out of there this time. Or my opponent got dazed and he can't move at all, so he has to clinch. Or maybe he's Frazier or Tyson and he can only bob and weave this time to regain stamina. Offensively, you should also have an ability to explode on your opponent when you sense he is dazed. I don't want to migrate over to you, I want to run/explode on you.

The jab was important as well. There should be a lot more variety to what we see happen with the jab. The first Fight Night, in my opinion, represented real punches better even though it was a simpler game. They were much faster, but the jab snapped the guy's head back a little. But at least it felt more sim to me. You even saw sweat pop out here and there. The parrying was there, but not overdone. Flash counter was not there either. But I don't think there's enough pop or variation to the punch angles in general in FN4. You have these highly detailed boxers in FN4 but it seems like every punch comes from the same angle every time. This gives it a robotic, Mechwarrior feel. I would like to see a jab have a variety of effects on guys, based on the fighter of course. Some jabs might have a lot more pop, or it might move the guy's entire body. It may turn the guy left or right and open up different angles.

One other thought is I did enjoy Teddy Atlas in FN4 as commentary. It would be cool to maybe get him involved in the training or career coaching for boxer development.

# 25 jjsmitty34 @ 10/29/10 04:28 PM
Honestly they need to copy what Hajime no Ippo 2: Victorious Road does with their career mode. Until then, they are just punching at the air...

# 26 breakitdown @ 10/29/10 09:30 PM
id like to see a ref in the ring and the ref breaking up holds this is vital to simulation boxing since it happens so often, if they dont have this feature maybe u could mention it to them

# 27 Phobia @ 10/30/10 10:55 PM
Just got back in about 2 hours ago. Will put up a blog about the experience come Monday hopefully.

# 28 LilLowe @ 10/31/10 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
Just got back in about 2 hours ago. Will put up a blog about the experience come Monday hopefully.
Looking forward to it

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.