Home
UFC Undisputed 2010 News Post

THQ and Zuffa, LLC Extend Ultimate Fighting Championship(R) Videogame License Agreement Through 2018

AGOURA HILLS, Calif., Oct 19, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) - THQ Inc. (NASDAQ: THQI) today announced that it has extended its exclusive, worldwide agreement with Zuffa, LLC to publish videogames based on the Ultimate Fighting Championship(R) (UFC(R)) brand through 2018.

"We're very excited to extend our relationship with Zuffa and the Ultimate Fighting Championship," said Danny Bilson, Executive Vice President, Core Games, THQ. "Working closely together with Dana White and the incredible team at UFC, we plan to continue to deliver outstanding interactive UFC experiences to gamers around the world in all new ways, including social, mobile and brand extensions."

"THQ has delivered the quality demanded by UFC and its fans with the first two UndisputedTM games and we are about to broaden the UFC brand experience among gaming fans through social and mobile apps," said Dana White, UFC President. "We are impressed by the passion that THQ brings to making great games and we look forward to working together to create even greater gaming experiences for our fans in the future."

Under the terms of the agreement, THQ has obtained the rights to create videogames for all current and next-generation consoles, PC and handheld platforms, in addition to certain social media and wireless rights, including iPhone and iPad. Rights also include online, downloadable and multi-player capabilities in connection with the various gaming systems.

Game: UFC Undisputed 2010Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
UFC Undisputed 2010 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ManiacMatt1782 @ 10/19/10 08:12 AM
Why does the weaker develper/publisher always get these exclusives?
The really strange part is that ea is actually the 1 making the stronger game but being squeezed by thq. But after 2k5, and MVP disappearing due to exclusives, it would be a shame if mma also gets lost in this shuffle.

# 2 SgtDillznick @ 10/19/10 08:26 AM
Hahahaha, what a bunch of BS. It's a good business move, though. That's easy money in Zuffa's pocket. Bad for us MMA fans, though. Here's to hoping we can make some pretty good CAFs in EA MMA. I'll know when I pick it up today! So psyched!

2018, huh? I will be shocked if THQ is still in business by the end of 2012.

# 3 aholbert32 @ 10/19/10 08:47 AM
This happened for two reasons: 1. Dana doesnt forgive that easy. He still pissed about what EA said about MMA years ago and he wasnt about to give them the license. 2. Even though UFC 10 was a worse game and sold less than UFC 09, the game still sold well for a sports game.

Also, while EA MMA is a much better game, it has zero buzz and I doubt it will sell that well. THQ has a much better chance of being around in 2018 than EA's MMA game does w/o the UFC license.

# 4 ManiacMatt1782 @ 10/19/10 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
This happened for two reasons: 1. Dana doesnt forgive that easy. He still pissed about what EA said about MMA years ago and he wasnt about to give them the license. 2. Even though UFC 10 was a worse game and sold less than UFC 09, the game still sold well for a sports game.

Also, while EA MMA is a much better game, it has zero buzz and I doubt it will sell that well. THQ has a much better chance of being around in 2018 than EA's MMA game does w/o the UFC license.
I agree man, my post was more of a venting rhetorical question.

# 5 sb24 @ 10/19/10 10:07 AM
And people didnt believe me when I said Dana White hates EA more than he likes money.

# 6 aholbert32 @ 10/19/10 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
And people didnt believe me when I said Dana White hates EA more than he likes money.
LOL...Exactly.

# 7 Gotmadskillzson @ 10/19/10 01:59 PM
Messed up man.......The only way Strikeforce can survive another 8 years is if they start their own want to be a fighter reality show and strike a deal with a basic cable network.

Being on Showtime isn't going to cut it since a lot of people don't even have Showtime. Where as damn near everybody who has cable has Spike. So I really hope Strikeforce has a good farm system.

# 8 mgoblue @ 10/19/10 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
The really strange part is that ea is actually the 1 making the stronger game but being squeezed by thq. But after 2k5, and MVP disappearing due to exclusives, it would be a shame if mma also gets lost in this shuffle.
I agree, but it's not like the UFC game was complete garbage. I think they have something they can fix (it totally had issues, not debating that one bit). I'm just saying it's not like NBA Live or whatnot where the game is absolutely atrocious.

I have no problem with this, not gonna feel bad at all for EA missing out on this (and they blew it by ripping MMA to Dana himself).

# 9 statum71 @ 10/19/10 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
I disagree. I still like UFC better than tha EA MMA from what I've seen.

# 10 Luck911 @ 10/19/10 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32

I am sorry i am going to disagree with this EA game is not much better game people are just disappointed UU2010 more than EA creating a superior game.EA has some better stuff but as sim of MMA THQ ground game and clinch game fundamentally superior thus a more real game.

I am happy that EA brought out a worthy competitor which only push THQ to be better.THQ can improve online,KO and submission system but i high doubt EA can add deep complex ground system to their game as THQ game without messing up the other parts.Ground work for MMA game is strongly leaning towards UU.

If you doubt this just ask question which game would people a graphically update UU2009 with update roster and small 2010 tweaks(swaying and cage work) or EA game.I think it will be overwhelming UU.

I went out a bought EA MMA today so it not like i am EA basher but grappling game in Undisputed is leaps and bounds better,Stand up is solid to good UU.Anyways i like competition pushing each other me personally like two good MMA games on the market.

# 11 PES3Paul @ 10/20/10 11:35 PM
That's THQ's burden; I'm loving EA MMA. It doesn't hurt that I'm a fan of Dream (and a lesser extent Strikeforce) than UFC, which is run by the Vince wannabe.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.