Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

So Josh Looman and I looked into this a bit this morning and I thought I'd post back some results.

Good News: It's very easy enough to 'unlock' the screen to allow someone to edit everything about their players in Franchise mode. Took like 10 minutes to do.

Bad News: Unfortunately, there are about a million things that can go wrong with this unlocked. Now I realize what you all will use this feature for which is to fine-tune progression and try and get extremely realistic stats, but here are just a few of the things that came up when we messed around with it:
  • There are countless "cheesing" things that the user can do like dropping your player ratings right before the off-season, signing him to the cheapest deal possible, and then setting him back.
  • Your save file can easily be rendered non-functional if you change enough CPU team's player's ratings where they can't re-sign any players. At this point the mode typically crashes or hangs and won't be recoverable from.
  • We also don't display that potential rating in the edit player screen now, and if you were to edit the actual player's overall rating to be higher than his potential rating, the game has a chance of crashing in many different spots. We'd have to add it in and always force it to be higher than the OVR I guess.
So I need help from you all...

Please comment and be specific about what exactly you NEED to edit. What is your overall specific intent with wanting to edit these players? Are there certain time frames we can lock it to? Are there certain specific changes you could only be allowed to make instead of full league-wide control? By reducing the amount of variables we can look into finding ways to make this happen. Unfortunately allowing the user to set every player in the league anytime from a 0 to a 99 is not going to be an option because of all the instability it will cause...and we just don't have the testing man-power to ensure that the mode won't start crashing all over the place.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 hedphurst @ 01/11/11 11:26 AM
Personally, I am in favor of giving the user as many options for control as possible. I don't really want to go changing my players' attributes, as I prefer the challenge of getting them to improve through gameplay, but I fully support the idea that it should be possible to edit the players if someone wants to. After all, that person plunked down their $50-60 for the game same as I did, and if they want to turn Charlie Whitehurst into Peyton Manning in their offline franchise, why shouldn't the be allowed to do so?

On the other hand, I'd really like to be able to import the official roster updates into my franchise file to reflect real-life rosters without having to restart a franchise...

# 162 michapop9 @ 01/11/11 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekodinator
no. no. no. I do NOT want ratings in franchise mode able to be changed.

great, good for you so just dont do it, but I gues your thought is screw everybody else than?

# 163 cletusdog @ 01/11/11 10:32 PM
I really think that having this option (editing ALL ratings, physical appearance, and personal profile info) is a great solution to many problems.
it allows us to make a franchise as "sim" as we want it editing who really becomes a big time player over the course of a season. it really can repair and/or be an awesome tool for draft classes that we may not be happy with.

personally i'd love it. if someone isn't interested, great, don't utilize it.

Also, on a side note, being an offline franchise guy, can't there be some seperation from the online "rules" that are often put on features to avoid cheesing? I am not worried about cheesing as I am only dealing with myself and my PS3 and would like many of these features unrestricted.

# 164 Jarodd21 @ 01/12/11 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chia51
I would like to be able to edit every attribute and physical attribute of the player.

To be able to have the ability to change the ratings as I see fit throughout the season. (ex: Maybe a player is playing very well during the season in the game but the default progression is "not enough IMO" so then I could go into and adjust.)

Yes I believe that the best way to do this would be to have the "edit" abiltity only opened/allowed during the following weeks:

1st week of preseason
1st week of the season
4th week of the season
8th week of the season
12th week of the season
16th week of the season

No, there would be no other option other than full league control that would make sense. At least I don't see any.

Maybe not having the salaries change when editing players that way the teams salaries will not change when someone edits their players.

Maybe having an option to edit the salaries in the off-season.
Great stuff...

# 165 Palo20 @ 01/12/11 11:44 AM
In addition to being able to edit all player ratings, I'd like to be able to create injuries and injury lengths just like The Show allows.

# 166 cletusdog @ 01/12/11 06:18 PM
Absolutely!
having control over injuries would just be a really nice touch.
apply or remove injuries, as well as remove the IR tag. Adjust length and injury type.

# 167 daniverson1973 @ 01/12/11 09:50 PM
personally i dont feel a need to edit players in franchise, althought it'd be a cool option to have, id probably use it

what i'd love, is the ability to edit incoming rookies (i.e.-imported d-classes), that would be sweet!!!!

# 168 KuruptOwnz @ 01/12/11 10:03 PM
The way I see it is this;

If person A will get enjoyment out of making a team full of 99's and person B doesn't, then person A should be able to and person B can choose not to. Online, however, is another story entirely. Have one set of roster for online, period.

With the issues facing this years Madden, I believe a few things such as Cornerbacks tackle rating, incoming rookies, etc... should be editable in terms of ratings. To make a more fluid and enjoyable game for the user.

Again, to reiterate my initial point; have the option there, people who don't want to edit them during franchise wont and people who want to should have the ability to do so.

Hell, you could have the option to turn it on or off in Franchise should you chose.

# 169 michapop9 @ 01/14/11 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chia51
I would like to be able to edit every attribute and physical attribute of the player.

To be able to have the ability to change the ratings as I see fit throughout the season. (ex: Maybe a player is playing very well during the season in the game but the default progression is "not enough IMO" so then I could go into and adjust.)

Yes I believe that the best way to do this would be to have the "edit" abiltity only opened/allowed during the following weeks:

1st week of preseason
1st week of the season
4th week of the season
8th week of the season
12th week of the season
16th week of the season

No, there would be no other option other than full league control that would make sense. At least I don't see any.

Maybe not having the salaries change when editing players that way the teams salaries will not change when someone edits their players.

Maybe having an option to edit the salaries in the off-season.
great stuff, and the injury options as well, good thoughts

# 170 KuruptOwnz @ 01/17/11 01:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
great stuff, and the injury options as well, good thoughts
Why? For the sake of and arguement here; why not allow someone to do it year round, not just at set times?

People who don't want to do it, wont and those who would, will. Why limit it to certain weeks, rather than just allowing it to begin with? Don't use it if you don't want to...

# 171 Vizen @ 01/17/11 11:49 AM
I agree with Kurupt. Since this is for offline franchise, its up to the user how to implement it, so I don't want anyone suggesting restrictions that most people won't agree with...

# 172 michapop9 @ 01/17/11 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruptOwnz
Why? For the sake of and arguement here; why not allow someone to do it year round, not just at set times?

People who don't want to do it, wont and those who would, will. Why limit it to certain weeks, rather than just allowing it to begin with? Don't use it if you don't want to...
ALL the time would even be better, absolutely theres no argument, more control more often is always better.

# 173 KuruptOwnz @ 01/17/11 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
ALL the time would even be better, absolutely theres no argument, more control more often is always better.
Did you read my initial argument? It was actually for allowing us to change ratings ALL the time and not just for set weeks.

# 174 michapop9 @ 01/18/11 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuruptOwnz
Did you read my initial argument? It was actually for allowing us to change ratings ALL the time and not just for set weeks.
uhhh... did you read my quote? I was agreeing with you, ALL THE TIME, yes the ability to edit ratings whenever you wanted with no limits, dont know where the disconnect was, it was a pretty simple concept.

# 175 tcroff808 @ 02/09/11 11:54 AM
This would be a feature that would truly enhance the franchise experience. I would like to be able to edit all attribute ratings. having this feature availalable at any point throughout your franchise would be ideal. As an online franchise player If this is added I hope it makes it to the online mode as well.

As a quick example I will point out three player overall ratings as they were when madden shipped.

Arian Foster overall 67 C potential
Brandon Lloyd overall 70 C potential
Mike Vick overall 73 C potential

Now if we fast forward to their current ratings

Arian Foster overall 92 A potential
Brandon Lloyd overall 87 A potential
Mike Vick overall 91 A potential

As we all know these players had break out seasons. Under the current progression system these players could never achieve these attributes. Even worse after one franchise year in madden these players are most likely to be cut from their respective teams. Realistically Every year we will have players who have monster seasons so this is expected. This tool would be very helpful to make everyones franchise as true to life as it can be.

This would be a key feature as it shows not only does attributes need to be edited, but also and equaling important the potential rating as it determines the players ceiling going forward

On another note the gamers who import draft classes from Ncaa think of the potential editing you could do. When it comes to video games anytime you allow the user the ability to customize the game this is a good thing.

Thank you for your time and dedication in making madden a great experience .

# 176 Jarodd21 @ 02/09/11 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcroff808
This would be a feature that would truly enhance the franchise experience. I would like to be able to edit all attribute ratings. having this feature availalable at any point throughout your franchise would be ideal. As an online franchise player If this is added I hope it makes it to the online mode as well.

As a quick example I will point out three player overall ratings as they were when madden shipped.

Arian Foster overall 67 C potential
Brandon Lloyd overall 70 C potential
Mike Vick overall 73 C potential

Now if we fast forward to their current ratings

Arian Foster overall 92 A potential
Brandon Lloyd overall 87 A potential
Mike Vick overall 91 A potential

As we all know these players had break out seasons. Under the current progression system these players could never achieve these attributes. Even worse after one franchise year in madden these players are most likely to be cut from their respective teams. Realistically Every year we will have players who have monster seasons so this is expected. This tool would be very helpful to make everyones franchise as true to life as it can be.

This would be a key feature as it shows not only does attributes need to be edited, but also and equaling important the potential rating as it determines the players ceiling going forward

On another note the gamers who import draft classes from Ncaa think of the potential editing you could do. When it comes to video games anytime you allow the user the ability to customize the game this is a good thing.

Thank you for your time and dedication in making madden a great experience .
I was looking for this thread to make sure it gets noticed again.. USERs should have this option in there offline franchise and EA would probably get less complaints from people about players progression in there franchise because if the USER don't like something about a player they can manually fix it themselves.. Add this feature please.

# 177 Jarodd21 @ 03/09/11 09:31 AM
This would also help with the random draft classes we get imported from NCAA. We can manually go in there and fix the attributes of players projected to go high in the draft that come out terrible when we import them to Madden.

# 178 khaliib @ 03/09/11 12:28 PM
Funny how this discussion got started, then quickly got dropped.

One thing we know about EA, is that they like to limit gamers editing ability greatly dealing with their Football and Basketball games.

The problem with allowing this is that by allowing such open editing, it will reveal how Maxed Out the Game Engine really is.

Even Ian said that they have concerned about the impact on the game and how such editing might cause crashes in the game.

As much as Ian is trying to change things, EA's Administration thrives on dictating what their customers can and can't do with their games. This allows them to stretch Marketing Strategies to make more money.

# 179 Figment @ 03/09/11 11:05 PM
I think it would be smart if you did like many other games are doing and made a program capable of reading and editing the roster files.

I know it's not a sports game but with the Fallout games they released the "GECK" program that constantly allows you to mod the game with relative ease.

Not asking for much, just a program that would allow you to edit any alpha or numeric feature about the game, especially the player potential. You guys have to have something already I don't believe you do it all with a controller, just release a more constricted version of this program that works with the roster file off of a USB device or something on PC.

Or at least make the coding easier to read so that someone else can do this program.

(Note: I just bought MLB 11: The Show, and I can edit every attribute of any player in and out of franchise mode.)

Edit: All of this is for OFFLINE franchise mode, would be bad for an online franchise to be able to edit players I think.

# 180 carnalnirvana @ 03/09/11 11:57 PM
i think this should be in the game, more options to customize gameplay is always a good thing

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.