Home
News Post

Gold: MLB 09: The Show

The quintessential baseball simulation, MLB 09 is a purist's dream game. During a decade that featured the best baseball games in sports gaming history, MLB 09 differentiated itself from its competition in terms of sheer realism. From the photorealistic player and stadium graphics to the incredibly deep Dynasty mode, no other game has ever replicated the atmosphere of baseball better. I would even go as far as to say that MLB 09 transcends sports gaming -- it's more of an interactive baseball broadcast than anything else. As a baseball fan it really does not get any better than that!

Silver: MVP Baseball 2005

When EA decided to revamp the Triple Play series, many felt that EA would no longer be a player when it came to baseball games. Oh how the masses were wrong. Regardless of the fact that MVP 2005 was the last version in the series -- thanks to 2K's exclusivity agreement -- it was the pinnacle of baseball gaming to that point in history. MVP perfected meter-based pitching, analog controls, ball physics and gave gamers the yet to be matched Owner mode that placed an emphasis on building a team like a real world Steinbrenner. There is no denying the importance of MVP 05 in baseball gaming history as many of its innovations are still being used in today's games.

Readers' Choice: MLB '09: The Show

MLB '09: The Show garnered 49 percent of the total votes while MVP Baseball was able to gather 29 percent of the total votes. The rest of the field garnered the other 22 percent of the vote.

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Knight165 @ 11/30/10 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
There was a sportscast-ish mode that allowed you to pick strategy options and jump in-game, but yeah, nothing like the on-the-field Manage Only that the Show has.
Oh...that...

Don't count.

M.K.
Knight165

# 22 BravesBoy @ 11/30/10 09:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Number ratings blow...and IMO don't belong anywhere near a sports game that considers itself "sim" in any respect.(unless those numbers are tied to a scouting report....different story...that's something that really exists.)
Now they are useful for editing...but outside of that I wish even the bars didn't exist....just scouting reports from your staff.
That would also push the game(including trades and salaries!)...more towards performance and potential rather than some pre-set ratings.(If they forced you to make choices on something other than ratings...they would have to have the CPU do the same! )

M.K.
Knight165
Yeah i agree with that. I would love to see a guys value rise or drop due to the performance during the season. Rather than the standard pre-set ratings that you mentioned. It would had a whole new dynamic to the game and they payer you would use.

# 23 EnigmaNemesis @ 11/30/10 10:22 PM
Quote:
Number ratings blow...and IMO don't belong anywhere near a sports game that considers itself "sim" in any respect.(unless those numbers are tied to a scouting report....different story...that's something that really exists.)
Now they are useful for editing...but outside of that I wish even the bars didn't exist....just scouting reports from your staff.
That would also push the game(including trades and salaries!)...more towards performance and potential rather than some pre-set ratings.(If they forced you to make choices on something other than ratings...they would have to have the CPU do the same! )

M.K.
Knight165
I am on board with this completely!

# 24 SDwinder @ 12/01/10 03:06 AM
I agree with the choice of The Show 09 over MVP 05. I played both extensively. I think The Show 10 is better than 09 though. MVP 05 was great....with the mods!!! Without the mods it was lacking in realism. And no game ever got right the pitch count better than The Show has. The thing I really liked with MVP though was the baserunning controls. They were perfect. I could control any runner very intuitively and with complete confidence. The Show really needs to just duplicate that.

# 25 Rwings832 @ 12/01/10 11:25 AM
Quote:
...and I don't remember any Manage only Mode in MVP '05 ??

M.K.
Knight165
I agree, that is one thing I love about the show, the ability to have almost a sim type game. I put my MVP game in yesterday just to fire it up for old times sake and it just didn't seem to realy for me. Don't get me wrong the mods are great, and if they could somehow get all the stadiums into the show I would probably never buy another game again.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.