Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Ian Cummings just posted the details for Madden NFL 11 title update #5.

*UPDATE: The patch is still hit or miss ATM. It's up to MS and Sony on when they will push it. Will start a new topic when the patch is readily available for everyone.

Quote:
Hello Madden fans, we are happy to announce the release of our fifth (and likely final) title update for Madden NFL 11, just in time for the holidays. The fixes listed below represent a culmination of all the feedback received from you, the fans, in our loyal community. We'd like to thank you for the continued support and strong attention to detail, as well as, your willingness to contribute in always trying to make Madden NFL a better game. This title update focuses on primarily fixing online exploits and fine-tuning the balance of gameplay by making numerous improvements to defensive AI.

The fixes are as follows:

• Fixed an exploit to disallow defenders from all blitzing when the quarterback tried to pump fake when facing the wrong direction. This was discovered in NCAA Football 11 and fixed in both titles.
• Fixed an exploit where unscrupulous players could get their fullback or tight end to move across the line of scrimmage and cause an encroachment penalty against an unsuspecting defensive player.
• Fixed an exploit where online gamers could use specific timing in pulling the network plug and cause a soft lock for both users, thus not having to face a loss. We've isolated and fixed the problem, so now if someone pulls their plug, they rightfully get a loss.
• Improved reaction times for defenders in coverage to better react to receivers
• Improved logic to get defenders in better position to make plays on the ball while in the air
• Improved defensive play recognition to get defenders reacting to the play faster
• Tuned up defensive pursuit to get defenders to take smarter angles to the ball carrier
• Tuned up defensive gap aggressiveness to get defenders into the hole faster
• Fixed an issue where the play art on defense would sometimes not show up correctly when showing blitz. We have corrected this problem in thirteen formations so now all proper play art will be displayed when showing blitz to the offense.

Source: Madden NFL 11 Blog via Ian Cummings

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 gman2774 @ 12/13/10 01:00 PM
Thanks to all providing insight on the patch. I'm looking forward to reading more in the coming days. I for one don't plan to download the patch until hearing more impressions. I have the game playing to my liking using Playmakers sliders and I don't want to screw it up by downloading a patch. Anyone else planning to do the same?

# 102 davjaffe @ 12/13/10 01:19 PM
Apologies for the newb question here, but am I the only one who still has not been prompted to download this patch on XBox Live? I played Madden for a bit last Thursday night, and unless I somehow missed the entire DL process, I did not get it then. I just turned the game on again about 5 minutes ago, and still no prompt for a title update. Is there a way to comb through the system files and determine if I have received it or not?

# 103 callmetaternuts @ 12/13/10 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davjaffe
Apologies for the newb question here, but am I the only one who still has not been prompted to download this patch on XBox Live? I played Madden for a bit last Thursday night, and unless I somehow missed the entire DL process, I did not get it then. I just turned the game on again about 5 minutes ago, and still no prompt for a title update. Is there a way to comb through the system files and determine if I have received it or not?
Some have it but most don't. It supposedly goes live tomorrow (12/14). If you start seeing everyone say they have it and you don't at end of day, either A) You already have it or B) MSFT hates you.

# 104 davjaffe @ 12/13/10 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetaternuts
Some have it but most don't. It supposedly goes live tomorrow (12/14). If you start seeing everyone say they have it and you don't at end of day, either A) You already have it or B) MSFT hates you.
Thank ya' kindly for the info. I shall try again tomorrow.

# 105 PantherBeast_OS @ 12/13/10 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Yes those are my thoughts exactly. This year they have tuned both games too geared towards the online, user vs user game play without full thinking about how it would effect the user vs cpu game play.

The whole theme this year for both football games was to water down the effect of users online using scrambling QB's. By doing so it made everything else ineffective as well such as counter plays and play action pass, running out of the shotgun, etc.

You can't prevent users online from cheesing certain plays and moves. Ramping up the cpu teammates AI play recognition just makes a jumbo mess of things when you have a user playing against the cpu.

I remember 2K tried that in NBA 2k10 by watering down certain moves and it made it totally useless to use some moves because they never worked because they watered it down so much it lost it's effectiveness. So even if you weren't cheesing it and trying to do it in a normal situation, you couldn't.

Same thing has happened this year in NCAA 11 and Madden 11. They were worried so much about people abusing scrambling QB's online that now even the CPU QB don't even scramble and on Madden 11 it is damn near impossible for even the user to scramble by how fast they got defensive linemen running in this game.

It makes playing against and as some teams in Madden totally useless now because all the QB's play the same, so therefore all the teams play the same. Playing against the Eagles is no different then playing against the Colts because both QB's play like pocket passers in this game. So therefore you don't ever have to change your defensive scheme because there is never a threat of the QB ever taking off and running on you.

It is even worse in NCAA 11 because so many spread based teams heavily rely on scrambling QB's in order to make their style of offense to thrive. Playing against against schools like Michigan, Auburn, Oregon, Florida, Ohio St, Florida St, Nevada, Texas, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Army, Navy, Air Force, etc is BORING because their QB's don't run or scramble around.

They might as well had kept all 120 schools play styles hidden because they all play the same way in the game anyway. Because all they ever do is throw or hand it off, that's it. Dual threat is no threat because they aren't dual in the game.

So really I would like to see both Madden and NCAA since they share the same problems really focus on the basics of football and worry more about the user vs cpu experience. And stop putting labels next to people names in the game if they don't behave that way.

What it is the point of labeling QB's scrambling, balanced, pocket passer if ALL of them behave like pocket passers ? What is the point of having a throw on the run attribute if the cpu QB don't ever run ? Why have counter plays and play action pass if they don't ever work ?

All this ramping up the defense AI and watering down of the offense is severely hurting the single player experience. Cheesers will always be cheesers online, so don't punish the masses just because of the small percentage of cheesers online.
Agree with you on this. One of things with the QB is you are forced to drop back 3 steps for been able to take control of the QB wheather under center or in Shotgun. In shotgun it is even worse because by the time you get the football dropback 3 steps and take control the AI is pretty much on top of you. It's even worse when you try to do a fake handoff to the RB in Shotgun mode and try to throw it with the AI pretty much in your face. The Force dropback passing thing needs to be removed. You are right when a scrambling QB means nothing anymore in madden when a 350 pound dlineman can run the fast QB down in a second. Makes no sense what so ever!!! Weight does not play a roll in madden what so ever. They really need to work on it this coming year and make it better.

# 106 PantherBeast_OS @ 12/13/10 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Palmer
For those that do have the patch, I keep reading about the improved CPU defense, but how is the USER defense -- namely the 4 man pass rush, and defenders filling holes?

The one thing I liked about NCAA was as the Middle Linebacker on an ISO, if I took on the fullback and forced the runner back inside, the weakside linebacker or safety would fill. In Madden, a lot of my AI teamates would just stand there, that is if they weren't getting off the ground.

Speaking of the defenders on the ground? Do you see the phenomina where and OL engages your D-line then steamrolls all 4 of them to the ground?

And how is the solo tackling?
Yea I hate how the AI controlled D is more powerful and knows everything and where to be at the right time and place to stop the play. But with the AI on the user controlled D. The AI is always standing there and acting dumb no matter what the ratings is and it always seems the user D gets steamrolled by the AI olineman just about everytime during a run play to open hugh holes. I feel with every update they do always benefits the AI controlled team more then anything why the User controlled team completely becomes dumb as bricks.

# 107 redsfan4life @ 12/13/10 06:48 PM
I got the patch two days ago and so far I like the way the game is playing much more. Before speed RB's would just dominate, now I see safeties taking proper angles and turning 80 yard TD runs into 30-40 yard runs. Might seem small..but it really helps if you like to get realistic stats. Draw plays still work for me, my running game is struggling a bit all in all but the game is playing much more realistic I think. I like how LB's can't jump 10 feet in the air and pick passes off about 15-20 yards over the middle. My main irk with NCAA was just that. I'm very pleased they put this patch out, might not be good for everyone but I wasn't playing Madden at all until this patch because I was averaging 50 points a game.

# 108 Flightwhite24 @ 12/13/10 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsfan4life
I got the patch two days ago and so far I like the way the game is playing much more. Before speed RB's would just dominate, now I see safeties taking proper angles and turning 80 yard TD runs into 30-40 yard runs. Might seem small..but it really helps if you like to get realistic stats. Draw plays still work for me, my running game is struggling a bit all in all but the game is playing much more realistic I think. I like how LB's can't jump 10 feet in the air and pick passes off about 15-20 yards over the middle. My main irk with NCAA was just that. I'm very pleased they put this patch out, might not be good for everyone but I wasn't playing Madden at all until this patch because I was averaging 50 points a game.
Hey redsfan4life what are you avg now points wise? What level/sliders? Thanks for your thoughts. Peace!!!

# 109 redsfan4life @ 12/13/10 08:10 PM
I use custom sliders. I'm 4 games into my season so far with my team (year 3 Bills).

37-34 Win @ Broncos
19-14 Win vs Jets
24-14 Win @ Rams
32-26 Win @ Titans (OT)

Yeah I'm 4-0 but I've faced four pretty bad teams other than the Jets I guess. The Titans had me 26-14 in the 4th quarter but I managed a pretty crazy comeback. I was picked off in the end zone on 4th and goal and I thought the game was over. But Vince Young made a bonehead play and was sacked/stripped which led to a TD for me. They then had a holding penalty on the kickoff which kept them inside the 10. Two sacks later it's third and 18 from the 1 yard line. My MLB knifes in and tackles Chris Johnson in the end zone for a safety. So my offense has done basically nothing and I'm in position to tie with a Field goal. I take the safety return to the Tennessee 40 and get a few first downs and kick the game tying FG as time expires. Overtime stretches out and just when I think I'm gonna tie I throw a slant and my WR breaks the tackle and heads to the house from 40 yards out. Kinda reminded me of the Holmes play in the Browns/Jets game. Anyway, the game is playing better for me personally. Maybe it's not for everyone I don't know.

# 110 CreatineKasey @ 12/13/10 08:23 PM
Does Madden have a label which shows you the version you're playing? I was prompted to re-download my online pass, but I didn't explicitly get prompted for a patch download. Who knows....

# 111 Steve_OS @ 12/14/10 07:56 AM
Creating new topic, since the patch is available this morning for everyone.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ions-here.html

Moving some of the recent impressions over now.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.