Home
NHL 11 News Post

Recently I had a chance to try Kinect at a friend's house, and as a technology it worked pretty well in my opinion. Of course it could be better regarding accuracy, lag and depth perception, but still, a fun piece of tech all-in-all. And since I'm a puck head through and through, the first thing that came to my mind was playing as a goalie in EA's NHL series while using Kinect. It could be fun, right?

Just like the Wii and NHL Slapshot, playing goalie using Kinect could be a fun addition to the virtual hockey legacy if you don't get too stuck thinking about realism. And come on, if you have tried Slapshot you know what I'm talking about. Realism, as much as most of us like it, does not always mean fun.

Read More - Dump 'N Cheese: Using the Kinect to be an NHL Goalie

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 GlennN @ 12/14/10 02:41 PM
That is a terrific idea! I have not tried Kinect (and don't really plan to, anytime soon), but if that idea was made, and it actually worked decently, I'd be all over it (I was a roller hockey goalie in my day - ah, to recapture my youth [I'd probably blow out a knee, but what the heck]).

# 2 jyoung @ 12/14/10 02:49 PM
I feel like there is not much else EA can do with the current controller-based goalie commands.

Kinect could be the answer for how EA can take goalie controls to the next level.

# 3 The GIGGAS @ 12/14/10 02:51 PM
Juha, great idea. I'd love to try something like that out.

# 4 superbus @ 12/14/10 03:24 PM
How about actually playing the butterfly? Not just the flexibility required, but dropping to your knees. You'd need pads of your own, or you'd wreck your knees. Either that, or you'd have to play a full stand-up style, which no NHL goalie has really done since the 70s. It's a novel idea on paper, but the execution would be problematic, especially considering the fact that they can't even get the minutia of goaltending right with a controller, for things like looking around (the camera sucks) and handling dekes.

# 5 FBeaule04 @ 12/14/10 03:44 PM
Message to MMChris :

What the f*** are you trying to do here???

I said I wasn't interested at all buying the Kinect for a few reasons. I looked at the games, etc, and with a 150$ investment only for the Kinect, I thought that the games vs the money, it wasn't worth it.

And you, Mister Chris, what are you doing???? You come with an idea that would not only force me to buy it, but would make me play it like crazy!

I hate you! This is only what you deserve for having ideas like that!

Note : On a serious note, this is brilliant, and would make me consider buying the Kinect. I mean, beeing a goalie and making the moves, wow, that's awesome!

By the way, I guess that Madden could also benefit from an idea like this while letting us be a kicker for exemple.

# 6 plaidchuck @ 12/15/10 01:56 PM
Yeah I had the same idea when I saw the info about the Kinect, it would be good for other sports games where the same player stays relatively in the same spot while the game is played(QBs in football and goalies in soccer, etc)

Although the chance that I would buy an XBOX just for this though is miniscule.

# 7 bukktown @ 12/15/10 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbus
How about actually playing the butterfly? Not just the flexibility required, but dropping to your knees. You'd need pads of your own, or you'd wreck your knees. Either that, or you'd have to play a full stand-up style, which no NHL goalie has really done since the 70s. It's a novel idea on paper, but the execution would be problematic, especially considering the fact that they can't even get the minutia of goaltending right with a controller, for things like looking around (the camera sucks) and handling dekes.
Haha you're so right. The chance for injuries and, most importantly, lawsuits would be way too high.

# 8 willrolltide @ 02/05/11 02:27 AM
It wouldnt work guys

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.