Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 81 bp4baseball @ 12/15/10 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemens
My only little disappointment : look at Cody Ross picture, the twins are back. I understand maybe they can't get ride of them completely but is it possible to at least don't sit them too close.
What kind of person are you, seperating family for your own pleasure

# 82 ps3veron @ 12/15/10 03:44 PM
Thank you for listening!

I am psyched about the analogue controls (something I actually posted many moons ago).

Now please oh please have it sold abroad so we international fans don't have to import

# 83 bp4baseball @ 12/15/10 03:46 PM
This is a great preview, and as somebody else said, it makes going back and playing '10 much harder (but I think I'll manage).

It's going to be a great year

# 84 bp4baseball @ 12/15/10 03:49 PM
Quote:
I'm sure this is just a teaser. They won't release all the details the first day. They are masters in the art of torture
For sure. Let the show begin

# 85 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
I hope they don't just rehash Hudler's lines and have Karros say them....

I know, this isn't Madden, lol....
Not gonna happen. This is SCEA-SD we are talking about here.

Sent from nowhere using Tapatalk

# 86 toine2983 @ 12/15/10 03:54 PM
I'm very interested in seeing how the new analog controls affect gameplay. I've gotten use to the button controls and have grown comfortable with them but I'll give the new analog controls a shot if they enhance my MLB The Show Experience.

I hope MLB The Show 11 has less uniform restrictions. The Rays only being able to wear their baby blue jerseys on the road with grey pants = no bueno.

Looking forward to getting my hands on the demo and trying out the new controls.

# 87 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 04:00 PM
Yummm...

Rock and Fire style pitching...

True analog batting, and true zone hitting...

Co-op play...

Weather...

Team Broadcast cameras...

Stadium specific scoreboards...

Karros...

New Player Models (look at the arms and shoulders in the pics, they are, *sniff* *sniff* beautiful)!!!

etc etc etc

# 88 ARMORALLL @ 12/15/10 04:01 PM
Thats awesome that they finally got rain in. I'm wondering if they added retractable roofs.

# 89 Lewis160 @ 12/15/10 04:04 PM
I think i am more excited for this game than i was for Mlb 10 The show. I cant ask more for it sounds like our wishes have been granted..Weather really makes a difference..

# 90 magoo1967 @ 12/15/10 04:17 PM
YES!!!! Nothing like some early MLB:The Show info to warm up the bones when it's 20 degrees outside! I swear that I had to read the paragraph about co-op play 3 times to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Co-op play is something I've been wishing for in The Show for many years, and it appears that my wishes have finally come true (thank you SCEA for your unparalleled awesomeness). I am confident that this addition alone will add TONS of fun when playing with friends & family. Everything touched on in this preview sounds amazing and I'm sure that this is just the tip of the iceberg. I have never been a big fan of analog stick controls in a baseball game, but I know many people wanted this feature and I will surely give SCEA's take on it a legitimate tryout. Besides, as long as there's still the option to play using the old school buttons, it's all gravy. This write-up totally made my day, it feels like Christmas came on Dec. 15th this year!

# 91 Yankees_CT @ 12/15/10 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos
Honestly, I know the hardcore are going to eat this stuff up but I am not impressed. I am not sure how much farther they can go with this on the PS3 with their current engine and team. How about making the world series actually appear **** as it is in real life. That was one thing that was just seriously lacking in last year's and every year's game. I doubt they have done nary a thing to fix their presentation problems. Personally I play with the announcers off. Good choice to change it up but I doubt it is going to really affect what was already there.

I still see that ugly as sin player's choice crap in Target Field replacing the elegant budweiser sign. Not sure which guy on the team does stadium detail but he needs more help. These stadiums need proper attention and they are just not getting it imo. The least they could do would be to mimic the sign for christ. This hardly looks any different to me at all.

Weather I would say is great but in all honesty it doesn't make that much of a difference. I expect the same horrid stats and stances and the same need to redo everything. I spent more time correcting rosters on 10 then I did playing the game. I am not about to do it all over again at the end of the 2011 season. I will be doing opening day rosters for 10 and I will be fine. These stadiums and players will never be up to my personal standard so I am fine with what is in 10. Their ad placement is so terrible in some stadiums that I do really hope they have improved that but AT&T looks almost EXACTLY the same. Hope those new trons work out. I will definitely be comparing the demo.

The twins are going to be adding stuff to their stadium so I doubt any of that will be in and that is just another reason I don't need another sports game with a few new features that I don't care to use. I like the controls just fine the way they are. I don't see them improving the animation system to the point I need to spend any more of my hard earned dollars. I'll wait to see if this is worth picking up for cheap but unless it has a drastic increase in animations and stadium detail I don't need to bother.
Really?!?!? Wow, hard man to please here. Maybe there is another game out there for you that you can enjoy....good luck finding it

# 92 bp4baseball @ 12/15/10 04:21 PM
Quote:
What's your understanding guys of the Team Broadcast cameras ? we can customize it per team or they're is a set of predefined broadcast view per team ?
I get the feeling that you can set the camera to anything you want, but they will also have some preset ones based off the real team's camera angles to choose from

# 93 nemesis04 @ 12/15/10 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos
Honestly, I know the hardcore are going to eat this stuff up but I am not impressed. I am not sure how much farther they can go with this on the PS3 with their current engine and team. How about making the world series actually appear **** as it is in real life. That was one thing that was just seriously lacking in last year's and every year's game. I doubt they have done nary a thing to fix their presentation problems. Personally I play with the announcers off. Good choice to change it up but I doubt it is going to really affect what was already there.

I still see that ugly as sin player's choice crap in Target Field replacing the elegant budweiser sign. Not sure which guy on the team does stadium detail but he needs more help. These stadiums need proper attention and they are just not getting it imo. The least they could do would be to mimic the sign for christ. This hardly looks any different to me at all.

Weather I would say is great but in all honesty it doesn't make that much of a difference. I expect the same horrid stats and stances and the same need to redo everything. I spent more time correcting rosters on 10 then I did playing the game. I am not about to do it all over again at the end of the 2011 season. I will be doing opening day rosters for 10 and I will be fine. These stadiums and players will never be up to my personal standard so I am fine with what is in 10. Their ad placement is so terrible in some stadiums that I do really hope they have improved that but AT&T looks almost EXACTLY the same. Hope those new trons work out. I will definitely be comparing the demo.

The twins are going to be adding stuff to their stadium so I doubt any of that will be in and that is just another reason I don't need another sports game with a few new features that I don't care to use. I like the controls just fine the way they are. I don't see them improving the animation system to the point I need to spend any more of my hard earned dollars. I'll wait to see if this is worth picking up for cheap but unless it has a drastic increase in animations and stadium detail I don't need to bother.
Happy Holidays!

# 94 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 04:23 PM
Quote:
What's your understanding guys of the Team Broadcast cameras ? we can customize it per team or they're is a set of predefined broadcast view per team ?
Here:

Quote:
a camera editor that enables you to customize any pitching or batting camera to your own personal specifications. There are even the exact broadcast views for every MLB team so you can play the game as your favorite team from the exact same viewpoint you watch them play for real. Amazing.
From what it sounds like, when you watch TV and where the camera is behind the pitcher of a live broadcast, the camera's will be placed in the exact location.

Also there is custom pitching and batting cameras this year to boot!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp4baseball
I get the feeling that you can set the camera to anything you want, but they will also have some preset ones based off the real team's camera angles to choose from
Exactly what it sounds like to me too.

# 95 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 04:28 PM
Another thing to add:

What an amazing beard!

# 96 slickdtc @ 12/15/10 04:30 PM
I'm still banging out franchise games on MLB 09, but the addition of analog pitching and fielding (not too big on analog hitting, it's hard enough with just a button press for me ) along with all the other neat things they added last year and this coming year, it's making it hard for me to not drop $60 come March release. I have 3.5 months to deliberate...

# 97 authentic @ 12/15/10 04:34 PM
WOW....just...WOW...get here March!

# 98 ckarlic @ 12/15/10 04:39 PM
I love this time of year...Color me impressed and impatiently waiting to get my hands on MLB 11 already.

Everything looks and sounds awesome!!!!!

# 99 Chef Matt @ 12/15/10 04:40 PM
Yep, everything sounds awesome. Can't wait to dive into this one. Speaking of dives, I hope this year I'll be able to get a better handle on diving catches. I really had a tough time getting those this year.

# 100 Bumble14 @ 12/15/10 04:43 PM
Crossing my fingers for the following:

-Auto loading rosters
-A "live" season interface ala MLB2K10, complete with dynamically updating rosters
-Auto save

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.