Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has just posted his MLB 11 The Show first look. Plenty of information here!

Quote:
"Before each swing, you can also try to guess the pitch and location just like last year, as well as choose whether you want to take a normal swing, swing for power, or hit for contact. Hitting for contact is what's new here, as this is more about simply trying to put the bat on the ball and advancing the runners than anything else -- your batter will take a severe power penalty when selecting this option. On top of that, if gamers want an additional challenge at the plate, Sony has also added true zone hitting into the game. Here, hitters can select the option of not only needing to fine-tune the timing of the stride and swing, but will also need to move a cursor onto the ball as it reaches the plate in order to make contact. According to Gill, this is an option the hardcore fans have been wanting for years. "Again, if we were going to do it, we wanted to make sure we did it right," he explains.

In terms of pitching, the meter the game has been using for years has been revamped a bit to incorporate the new controls. Once pitch and location are selected, gamers will pull back on the right analog stick. This causes the ball on the meter to drop toward a line about three-quarters of the way down. As soon as the ball hits the line, the pitcher will then press up on the right stick, but here's the twist -- if your location is on the outside part of the plate to a right handed batter, you'll need to press up and to the right in order to guide the ball into the target that will appear at the top of the meter. This is all about mastering the stick as you'll need to not only time the movements right, but hit your spot. This really adds to the pressure of each pitch. One mistake and you might fire the ball right down the middle, then watch it fly by your head so fast you get virtual whiplash."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 121 VideoTyrant @ 12/15/10 05:16 PM
Just want to give thanx to SCEA for again listening to what the fans of the game wanted and were asking for, and delivering to the hard-core audience of the game something other sports games companies simply don't do because they just assume the hard-cores are buying there game regardless.

I think a lot of people were getting tired of the pitching meter that hadn't been overhauled in a long time, the new pitching system seems like it has much more potential to be realistic and harder to just hammer corners, can't wait for the new challenges this game will have to offer.

# 122 Vanman2425 @ 12/15/10 05:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos
Scoreboards, depending on how realistic they are, will be quite nice. It's the details like the little helmet names you just mentioned. Why isn't this carried over to all teams? It just seems like it is the team on the cover and a couple others that get special treatment. I think all that is going into this game is much needed and it makes me happy that they are listening and improving things. All the glitches that are still in last year's game like freezes are really disappointing and I hope they have ironed out those kinks as well. One of these years I want them to use pitch F/X on every pitcher and actually get them right. I did kind of enjoy doing my rosters from 4.3 but it was a lot of work and I don't have the time to do it again. The 2012 year might be my year but then again the PS4 is inching closer by then and I might have to just wait until they get it running on that We'll see. I look forward as I do every year to all the improvements being slowly announced.
Because the Giants are the only team in baseball that has names on the backs of their helmets. All other teams have numbers, which the Show has had for the last two years.

# 123 PVarck31 @ 12/15/10 05:22 PM
Player models look better to me. Looks like the have the shoulders and arms looking much better.

Custom camera angles are a godsend.

# 124 Big_Mig_11 @ 12/15/10 05:23 PM
Great read. I'm still on cloud 9 seeing my team be the default Home team for a sports game. Cant get enough of it. AT&T looks great!! This will be my 2nd year with a PS3/The SHow so im still seeing new things when I pop in MLB 10.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE there be an actual splash cam and World Series Champion shirts in the crowd!!.....

# 125 Blzer @ 12/15/10 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31
Player models look better to me. Looks like the have the shoulders and arms looking much better.

Custom camera angles are a godsend.
Well the actual models themselves look unchanged, in the sense that I wouldn't call these the "new" ones that they've been working on. But it seems every year they do something that hides the ugliness of the player proportions themselves even more than the previous year, and this year is no exception.

The only negative about this time of year is it gives me nearly no desire to play "that old game" that sits on my shelf anymore. Bring on 11!

# 126 El_MaYiMbE @ 12/15/10 05:32 PM
Custom Rosters in Franchise mode WITH AI controlled teams for unassigned teams = Amazing.

I wrote about this a few days ago that I wanted it, and here it is! Loving the preview...I cannot wait to play this game!

# 127 SoxFan01605 @ 12/15/10 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Davis
Lingering questions, Do retractable roofs work with new weather and also create a team...
Good question on the weather. I would like to think the roofs work with rain. I'll be disappointed if it's like Madden and it starts raining inside...lol.

My other question (about the available info at least) is about commentary. Is it reworked to be more organic and fluid or is it 3 guys in their separate spots spliced together? If I had The Show's depth of lines coupled with 2Ks interaction, I'd be in commentary heaven.

# 128 PsychoBulk @ 12/15/10 05:35 PM
My good god.

Im drooling already.

I am though really interested in what changes they have made to Franchise, and hopefully presentation.

I want masses of in game stats and overlays, just like a real tv broadcast.

It all sounds great, typical SCEA, they always deliver.

# 129 rudyjuly2 @ 12/15/10 05:36 PM
Analog controls and customizable camera angles are huge for me. Really happy they stepped up and added them. Now if they only make the pitch speed slider more sensitive so I can slow it down some more I'll be in heaven. Sounds great so far.

# 130 SoxFan01605 @ 12/15/10 05:37 PM

oh...and I really dig this picture...

# 131 Blzer @ 12/15/10 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605

oh...and I really dig this picture...
I will wear my Heyward jersey every time I play this game.

# 132 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Well the actual models themselves look unchanged, in the sense that I wouldn't call these the "new" ones that they've been working on. But it seems every year they do something that hides the ugliness of the player proportions themselves even more than the previous year, and this year is no exception.

The only negative about this time of year is it gives me nearly no desire to play "that old game" that sits on my shelf anymore. Bring on 11!
Blzer ... look at this one pic... and I am sure it will be even more noticeable in tomorrow's comparison shots...

That looks as legit and as authentic proportion wise as it gets... there is no "ugliness" ... arms are fixed, shoulders, etc.

Look at the arms and shoulders here too!!!

Much improved. Looks legit now! Pop '10 back in, you will see what I am talking about.

They can not just "adjust" previous models ... that is not how it works with their system, animations, etc ... they have to build from the ground up with a new skeletal system. It is going to look similar, cause of the stellar textures and faces the game employs. You do not change the great texturing if it already looks great... but I can tell the skeletal structure is all new by looking at it.

# 133 Bigsheen @ 12/15/10 05:41 PM
Hey Russ, can the Buccos get some love in a screenshot????

# 134 Russell_SCEA @ 12/15/10 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer

Lets revisit this statement in about 20 minutes

# 135 Speedy @ 12/15/10 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
RTTS performance evaluation and training sound awesome.

Weather (with real effects)...BOOYA!

Analog controls...BOOYA!

True Zone hitting (OMFG!!!) BOO-TO-THE-YIGGITY-YA!

Team Specific Broadcast Cameras...BOOYA!

Eric Karros for commentary (and no mention of Rex :59 ::y220e ::star :: D:c ool::cheers44 4:ap pl:: y220f:) This is kinda nice.

Awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome...

That is all for now.
I concur exactly. I'm stoked!! Last year didn't have as much replay value as I wanted but so far this looks good...

# 136 Heroesandvillains @ 12/15/10 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsleadtheway
Really the only thing I am hoping for is that the analog fielding fixed the broken fielding system in 10. If it is still broken, but just analog, then that would be a disappointment indeed. But being the optimistic person that I am, I am sure that the fielding will be amazing this year. I am also positive that there will be a franchise importing option so that I can bring my power house A's into 11 rather than having to play another year with the worst offense in the majors.
Yes, you ARE a "glass is half full" kinda guy!!!

Hey, if there's no importing...

How about "A thrilla....by Godzilla!!!"

That's $4.5 Million very well spent, in my opinion.

So, no need to cancel the Yankeeography.

Oh, as far as the preview goes. All I can say is, wow. Not just a minor upgrade at all. Holy smokes!

# 137 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Lets revisit this statement in about 20 minutes

# 138 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/15/10 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroesandvillians
Yes, you ARE a "glass is half full" kinda guy!!!

Hey, if there's no importing...

How about "A thrilla....by Godzilla!!!"

That's $4.5 Million very well spent, in my opinion.

So, no need to cancel the Yankeeography.

Oh, as far as the preview goes. All I can say is, wow. Not just a minor upgrade at all. Holy smokes!

Not at all!

# 139 Knight165 @ 12/15/10 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
We haven't even touched on custom rosters for online league play! My goodness.
'

M.K.
Knight165

# 140 ryan36 @ 12/15/10 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronikos
Honestly, I know the hardcore are going to eat this stuff up but I am not impressed. I am not sure how much farther they can go with this on the PS3 with their current engine and team.
DO NOT TAKE THINLY VEILED SHOTS AT THE DEV TEAM, FINAL WARNING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckarlic
I love this time of year...Color me impressed and impatiently waiting to get my hands on MLB 11 already.

Everything looks and sounds awesome!!!!!
yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
Crossing my fingers for the following:

-Auto loading rosters
-A "live" season interface ala MLB2K10, complete with dynamically updating rosters
-Auto save
"Live" season interface would be awesooooooooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
khron, no need to explain as i am with you, in terms of not being a yearly sports game purchaser.

for me to grab 11 it HAS to have a new UI, from the menus, which in franchise are a jumblegluck, right on down to the in game banners.
from the looks of the pic, the banners are the same with just white added instead of full black.
not what I was hoping for.

navigating franny is a chore for me.
i honestly dont need any more features in my franchise mode, its already stacked.
I just want a new look to the whole affair.

also with baseball being a stats game, i want to see that brought to life in stat pop ups in game.
not the paltry overlays we had last year.

i have no problem sticking with 10, too deep into it all to jump into another version unless the tv presentation is overhauled which will breath life into the experience, at least for me.

as far as the first news of whats added...aint nothing wrong with what i see, but i am still waiting for stuff to show up from MVP days of yore.

I might just dive back in when the gates open up in 2012.
tho, i will be monitoring the news of 11 as it comes out, you never know it might have the stuff i am looking for.
I'm not a huge fan of the menus either, but they're familiar so I do ok. This is just the FIRST BIT of info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo

And real quick...Having new models isn't all about the "look" its also about how the players themselves shift their shoulders, etc., If they truly got rid of the boxy movements, damn we'll be in business.
Well I think they said they have to reanimate player models, so maybe some of this is fixed as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey88
It is just mind bogling how many new features are in this years iteration. The only thing that concerns me is the new analog controls for everything. I think analog works well for pitching, but am not sold on how well it works for hitting and fielding. I'm glad to know that we have the option to use the old controls though, so if I don't like it, I can simply revert back to playing the way I am used to. I really hope there are seperate options for each category (pitching, hitting, fielding), so that way I can still use buttons for hitting and fielding, but analog for pitching or any type of configuration I want. Can you comment on this Russell? Will seperate controls for each aspect be available, or will it be all or nothing? I really hope fielding has been vastly improved as this has been the weekness for the Show for years. It seems as though we will have more control over offline throws ect... which is promising. I just hope that they haven't tried to implement too many new things at once, and that the basic game formula is still the same. I don't want a whole new game. They way I look at it, if it ain't broke don't fix it. I don't mind a few tweaks here and there to tighten things up. I just hope they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel as this can sometimes be the demise of a great franchise. None the less, I am really looking forward to this years editions, especially how the new analog controls play out.
Pretty much my thoughts. Analog pitching may be fun, fielding I may stick to the old way, and hitting I'll go back and forth.

SO EXCITED!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.