Home
News Post

According to The Wrap, EA is planning a Madden Curse movie. You can't make this stuff up.

Quote:
"What started as a simple joke may now become a motion picture.

Electronic Arts is developing "Madden Curse," a sports comedy that incorporates the infamous jinx, believed to strike NFL players who appear on the cover of EA's popular "Madden" video game with injury or poor performance.

The story will follow a former Madden video game champion who is forced out of retirement just as he finds himself on the corner of the game's cover -- and subject to the curse.

Pat O'Brien, VP of EA Entertainment, is spearheading the project as one of its producers.

O'Brien wasn't immediately available for comment on Monday, but an individual at Electronic Arts confirmed that the company is developing a movie about the so-called curse.

In 2007, EA Sports' director of marketing Chris Erb told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "I don't know that we believe in the curse. The players don't believe in the curse."

Source - Pasta Padre

Member Comments
# 1 rangerrick012 @ 12/20/10 08:30 PM
As a documentary this would actually be interesting. As a 'sports comedy'? I'll pass.

# 2 Palo20 @ 12/20/10 09:24 PM
Hopefully they add a play creator first

# 3 davidd @ 12/20/10 09:27 PM
as a documentary I'm all for it infact I will go on record right now as saying that I would pay money to see it if it were a documentary.

...but if they decide to go the actual movie crappy comedy with an actual storyline and real actors route i'll pass.

# 4 Shinyhubcaps @ 12/20/10 09:27 PM
The premise sounds funny, to be honest. However, there is no denying the actual misfortunes of a lot of the cover athletes, so I agree that a documentary would have been great.

# 5 moylan1234 @ 12/20/10 09:36 PM
can't wait to do anything besides watch this train wreck

# 6 PVarck31 @ 12/21/10 12:01 AM
I would rather sew my head to the carpet.

Seriously though, this sounds so off the wall that you would think it can't be true.

# 7 NYJin2009tm @ 12/21/10 12:06 AM
Sorry but this just sounds plain silly and stupid lol.

# 8 ngreatshark @ 12/21/10 12:31 AM
This is dumb on several levels.

1. The plot is dumb, and I don't think people are gonna want to pay to see a movie about some guy who is afraid of a video game. It's like wanting to go pay and see a movie about some weird kid wanting to go from North Dakota all the way to California to play SMB 3 against some *** with a Powerglove.

2. I'm not sure John Madden will approve of this. Them making a movie called "Madden Curse" would be like them making the whole thing official, they are giving validity to it. I don't think John Madden is going to want his name or legacy tied into something like that.

3. It's marketing in the worst way, making somebody pay to watch an advertisement. And it says alot about EA, about Madden NFL, and how seriously we should the company and the game if they are willing to take what should be a hardcore football game for diehard fans and reduce it to satire.

I hope on everything this exclusive liscense ends, and we can finally get a good NFL football simulation from somebody who really is trying to focus on making a good NFL football simulation, not somebody who consistantly makes a mockery of it.

# 9 nmpfeiff @ 12/21/10 12:44 AM
Why is this really surprising? We all knew that EA will do anything to make an extra dime. A documentary might be interesting but how can you make an actual comedy film out of this. I agree it sounds like a train wreck.

# 10 Bolt957 @ 12/21/10 01:27 AM
LOL. This is gonna be hilarious in a good & maybe bad way

# 11 canes21 @ 12/21/10 02:49 AM
As a documentary, maybe. As an actual movie, yea good luck.

"In other news EA looks for 10 new ways to make more money not caring for their fan base and apparently their image either."

# 12 Dazraz @ 12/21/10 03:21 AM
I can't help but feel that if EA stopped trying to milk the Madden name for all it's worth, by creating versions on every possible electronic device, we might actually have a decent game. Now they want to make a movie.

I have an alternative plot idea for 'Madden Curse'. How about a movie about the cursed consumer who year in & year out are promised so much from Madden but receive so little.

# 13 Double C @ 12/21/10 06:49 AM
How about making... a game, instead?

# 14 Gordy748 @ 12/21/10 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double C
How about making... a game, instead?
Ha ha! Good one. If the movie was a spoof then it might be okay, ala Dodgeball. Madden might be willing to bless it if the said Cursee finds himself subjected to the curse but manages to overcome it, then rides off into the sunset with the heroine (played by the Dallas cheerleaders. All of 'em).

I think I'd still wait for the DVD release, though.

# 15 grlacher @ 12/21/10 11:14 AM
You"ve got to be kidding.They need to focus their attention on the game.

# 16 LingeringRegime @ 12/21/10 11:50 AM
Money well spent EA.

# 17 Keenan G. @ 12/21/10 12:32 PM
EA should have used the money and make Madden a better game. Why waste time on a stupid movie? MAKE A BETTER FOOTBALL GAME!!!!!!

# 18 erich20012001 @ 12/21/10 12:36 PM
Quote:
The story will follow a former Madden video game champion who is forced out of retirement just as he finds himself on the corner of the game's cover -- and subject to the curse.
What the hell does that even mean? It won't follow a player? But a guy who was really good at Madden and someone gets onto the cover? What!?

# 19 ven0m43 @ 12/21/10 12:40 PM
The movie will be terrible, so just spend the time and money on making the game good. How come the last gen madden is still better than the current gen?

# 20 ngreatshark @ 12/21/10 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erich20012001
What the hell does that even mean? It won't follow a player? But a guy who was really good at Madden and someone gets onto the cover? What!?
Yeah, it kinda sounds like EA is taking a shot at it's consumer base. So you guys wanna say our game curses the people we decide to put on the cover? Well how about we put one of you guys on the cover?

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.