Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

In this weeks' OS Roundtable, some members of the staff discuss what they think of The Show's move to analog controls.

What are your thoughts?

Quote:
"Dustin Toms: Personally I'm not too fond of the move. I think it is a step in the right direction for SCEA, but I have never been a big fan of analog sticks controlling most of the actions in sports games. I will admit that I love the shot stick in NBA 2K11, but other than that I like to keep it old school with the buttons. Last year's game was a great game, but it was still a disappointment to me. I was expecting something great, something fantastic, but instead I got a lot of the same. Hopefully the new analog controls it will kick out the staleness that The Show had last year and give it some new life.

Steve Noah: I think it is a welcome addition, and one that is long overdue. It gives us another option, and I mention "option" only because if it is something I don't like, I'll just use the old control system. I know it will take some time to get used to, but I think it's great that the team is giving us something different. A check swing will be a lot easier to execute using the sticks, as opposed to a button press. (I've always had a check-swing issue with The Show series. Maybe it's my strong thumb.)"

Read More - OS Roundtable: What Do You Think of The Show's Move to Analog Controls?

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 countryboy @ 12/30/10 09:24 PM
While its not something that I would personally use, I think its a great addition. When it comes to real estate we always hear, "location!, location!, location!", well for video games it would be, "options!, options!, options!". No two gamers are alike and the more options the game provides, the more gamers it can adhere to.

Besides that, fans of the series themselves have been asking for these controls and its only natural for SCEA to implement them. Given they are allowing us old school, hate change gamers to play with the old button control scheme, I don't see how this can be viewed as anything but a good idea.

# 2 Bellsprout @ 12/30/10 09:28 PM
It's another option. You don't like it, use the old option. No reason to not like this move because you aren't locked into using it.

Personally, I'll be using analog for everything when I first get the game. Looking forward to it.

# 3 DiamondbacksLive @ 12/30/10 09:31 PM
I think it's a new feature that will bring more challenge to the game. In previous games, I think just hitting X is too easy. I just think of the timing of my swing. Now with the analog control, you have to time your stride and the release of the ball. I think it will be a great addition because it will bring more involvement.

# 4 Shinyhubcaps @ 12/30/10 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
While its not something that I would personally use, I think its a great addition. When it comes to real estate we always hear, "location!, location!, location!", well for video games it would be, "options!, options!, options!". No two gamers are alike and the more options the game provides, the more gamers it can adhere to.

Besides that, fans of the series themselves have been asking for these controls and its only natural for SCEA to implement them. Given they are allowing us old school, hate change gamers to play with the old button control scheme, I don't see how this can be viewed as anything but a good idea.
Agree 100%. I'm a little wary of it, but I don't have to use it, so no big deal. I doubt it takes away from anything else in the game.

# 5 N51_rob @ 12/30/10 09:39 PM
I don't see myself embracing analog controls. I will use them in the demo, but I'm pretty sure that once I get the full version. I will be going back to the buttons. But I applaud the dev team for making this an option.

# 6 PVarck31 @ 12/30/10 09:53 PM
I like it. I think it gives the user more control. Whether that's an illusion or not. I feel like I have more control on the outcome of the play, whether it be fielding, or pitching. I'm not that sure about the hitting though. I kinda like the buttons for that.

All in all its a good move by SCEA. More options are never a bad thing.

# 7 Chrisksaint @ 12/30/10 10:20 PM
Hmm it seems like a good idea, but can't really argue with more options to use especially if you can still use the old way.

Idk if I should ask this here, but where exactly can I find what these changes do because all I've heard is changing to analog. Does this mean to bat and stuff like that you just move up/down on the analog similar to the shot stick in NBA 2k

# 8 Guffers @ 12/30/10 10:54 PM
The thing I love about these devs is that they don't rip out old features. So, giant thumbs up from me!

# 9 e0820 @ 12/30/10 11:01 PM
Looking forward to the new controls and weather (they did mention weather in their poem right?)

# 10 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/30/10 11:31 PM
Great addition, optional, and confidence in these devs that it will not feel like a gimmick and will just plain work.

They also do not force you to uses it online or off. So the more options the merrier.

There can be no argument as to how this is a bad thing. None.

# 11 phant030 @ 12/31/10 12:11 AM
Totally agree q/ Enigma, no argument can be made. I find it hilarous how options and customization are brought up so much on games they dont enjoy, but they are not needed when they already enjoy something lol. Same goes for their competition comments...i'll leave it alone though.

I feel this will be a good new way to experience the game. It will bring in new players. They just need to be in the game now, point blank, regardless if you use them. Hopefully there are many additions ON THE FIELD also...with older EA games, you would get a new control option but the gameplay depth would not be deep enough....so once you got used to the controls, it became the same old game again..and the Show has been getting stale for me.

# 12 DubTrey1 @ 12/31/10 01:08 AM
I love having options. Analog controls are a great option... as long as many said here, as long as I have an option to go back to the old controls... we all win.

# 13 ghm125 @ 12/31/10 05:52 AM
its worth a look,as long as I can go back to the buttons....fielding yes no doubt(analog) maybe pitching?..great read..and opinions....

# 14 jscand @ 12/31/10 06:24 AM
Normally I would say I hate analog controls in baseball games and not even try it. I'd be fine that they added it (since it is an option) but I wouldn't use it.

However, with the fantastic track record that SCEA has earned, it's probably fantastic, and will make me rethink analog controls in baseball games. So I will give it a shot.

# 15 rudyjuly2 @ 12/31/10 07:51 AM
Adding options is never a bad thing. I loved the analog pitching in 2K10. If that's not your thing just use the old methods. The truth is I wouldn't have bought the Show this year without analog controls. They have added quite a few new things - analog controls and extra camera options that will really add a lot to the game this year imo.

# 16 NAFBUC @ 12/31/10 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Adding options is never a bad thing. I loved the analog pitching in 2K10. If that's not your thing just use the old methods. The truth is I wouldn't have bought the Show this year without analog controls. They have added quite a few new things - analog controls and extra camera options that will really add a lot to the game this year imo.
Hey rudyjuly.......you forgot to mention slider adjustments for pitch speed.

( I would also like to see the sliders have a greater impact range)

# 17 theshow89 @ 12/31/10 08:31 AM
if the analog batting this yr is anything like the swingstick in the 2k series than it will actually be harder to check swing than if it were just the x button...for me at least...but of course it doesnt matter since its only an option

# 18 enyc718 @ 12/31/10 09:40 AM
The good thing is that its an option. SCEA can't go wrong. I personally don't like it much but that's probably because I really never used consistantly so, I will give it a try and I actually hope I like it. It will be something different and a change. And change is good.

# 19 Skyboxer @ 12/31/10 09:52 AM
Totally love the addition. I'll use analog certainly for pitching/ fielding....
Options = always a good thing

# 20 Solid-Hock @ 12/31/10 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshow89
if the analog batting this yr is anything like the swingstick in the 2k series than it will actually be harder to check swing than if it were just the x button...for me at least...but of course it doesnt matter since its only an option
I believe the Check swing will happen if you let go of the stick before your swing is finished.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.