Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

GameInformers' Matt Bertz, has posted his MLB 11 The Show hands-on preview. He mostly talks about the major overhaul in RttS mode.

Quote:
"In past creators you were given a blank slate and a bunch of experience points to add wherever you saw fit. This year, Sony is introducing dynamic interactive sliders to help you better tailor your slugger or pitcher. Before you're given attribute points to juice up your prospect, the game presents you with three adjustable sliders that help determine your playing style. For pitchers, the sliders are stamina vs. power, control vs. movement, and pitching repetoire vs. dominant pitch. By moving the sliders across the 100-point scales, you can create drastically different players. If you want to create an innings eater like Carl Pavano, you'd move the sliders toward stamina, control, and pitching repetiore. If you want a power thrower with one pitch to rule them all like Stephen Strasburg, you'd move the sliders toward power, movement, and dominant pitch. Position players have sliders for power vs. contact, glove vs. arm, and speed vs. strength.

Previous Road to the Show modes guided players with dynamic goals that changed every game. Some of the goals, like avoid striking out, seemed obvious. Others, like the coach telling you to take the first pitch, seemed arbitrary. Rather than tweak the logic, Sony decided to scrap the system altogether in favor of a new player performance evaluator. This new logic system tracks your every at-bat or pitching match-up and assigns you a grade for each one. At the end of the game, your overall grade determines the amount of skill points you receive. The evaluator understands the subtleties of the sport better than the dynamic goals ever did; if you foul off nine pitches before popping out, the game knows this is a good at-bat because you stressed the pitcher, and it rewards you appropriately. The same applies to pitching; you're not going to get as many points for striking out a batter on 10 pitches as you would for getting a batter to ground out in three pitches."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 SoxFan01605 @ 01/07/11 10:23 PM
Sounds like RTTS is taking a giant leap in the right direction this year. I might actually be able to put some more time into it. I like that they are trying to better define players and link that to progression. Also glad to see that performance seems to be the primary factor in both game evaluation and call-up/send-downs.

I'm more looking forward to franchise related stuff, but it's nice to see RTTS get some much needed work.

# 2 green94 @ 01/07/11 10:47 PM
MLB 10 was one of the best looking sports games ever, but with improvements like a new lighting engine, dynamic cloud cover, better transitions from day to night, new stadium fireworks, authentic jumbotrons for each ballpark, and more natural looking player models, MLB 11 is poised to outshine its predecessor. Sony also also recorded several new post-pitch animations and new batter/pitcher walkups. Rounding out the changes to the presentation, former slugger Eric Karros replaces Rex Hudler as the color commentator.

The franchise mode is also receiving some attention. Sony has reworked the trade and waiver wire logic so teams analyze their rosters more realistically; don't expect teams to trade away surefire aces like David Price. To keep you abreast of league happenings during the season, Sony has added a ticker that displays scores and stats from the other league games.

# 3 illwill10 @ 01/07/11 10:49 PM
This kind of improvement makes waiting really hard this coming from a guy who doesnt like baseball, but that likes MLB the show for its efforts. I havent been this anticipated for a game since GTA IV.
RTTS is the only mode I play and this kind of improvement makes any doubt of me not getting this game really foolish.
" Sony decided to scrap the system altogether in favor of a new player performance evaluator. This new logic system tracks your every at-bat or pitching match-up and assigns you a grade for each one. At the end of the game, your overall grade determines the amount of skill points you receive. The evaluator understands the subtleties of the sport better than the dynamic goals ever did; if you foul off nine pitches before popping out, the game knows this is a good at-bat because you stressed the pitcher, and it rewards you appropriately. The same applies to pitching; you're not going to get as many points for striking out a batter on 10 pitches as you would for getting a batter to ground out in three pitches."
Good because I hated having to give up a good hit because I had to take a hit. But I have to improve my plate discipline. I swing at a lot of close pitches.

"The franchise mode is also receiving some attention. Sony has reworked the trade and waiver wire logic so teams analyze their rosters more realistically; don't expect teams to trade away surefire aces like David Price. To keep you abreast of league happenings during the season, Sony has added a ticker that displays scores and stats from the other league games. "
this helps RTTS because the trade logic was flawed.

# 4 michfan16 @ 01/07/11 11:37 PM
great because it seems a bit more like my player from 2k basketball

# 5 Rob_NYY @ 01/07/11 11:44 PM
I used to LOVE the RttS mode. Ever since RttS was a part of The Show series, I have created a pitcher and a batter and taken them both years and years into their careers. In MLB '09, I was a 26 year old coming off a Cy Young award winning season (22-4 with a low 2 ERA) and I did not receive one offer from another team as a free agent. I was so frustrated I stopped playing.

In The Show '10, I created a pitcher and batter and after about a week of playing, I found myself bored with the mode and frustrated by the silly goal system. I stopped playing RttS after a week and never touched it again.

I am so excited that they overhauled the whole system. Everything in this article is exactly how I have always wanted RttS to be.

# 6 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/07/11 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_NYY
I used to LOVE the RttS mode. Ever since RttS was a part of The Show series, I have created a pitcher and a batter and taken them both years and years into their careers. In MLB '09, I was a 26 year old coming off a Cy Young award winning season (22-4 with a low 2 ERA) and I did not receive one offer from another team as a free agent. I was so frustrated I stopped playing.

In The Show '10, I created a pitcher and batter and after about a week of playing, I found myself bored with the mode and frustrated by the silly goal system. I stopped playing RttS after a week and never touched it again.

I am so excited that they overhauled the whole system. Everything in this article is exactly how I have always wanted RttS to be.
I know exactly what you mean. It is way more like an RPG now. Excited to try it out next week. And we will be bringing you guys a wealth of impressions.

Sent from the dugout using Tapatalk

# 7 soxnut1018 @ 01/08/11 12:39 AM
The new and improved RTTS?

# 8 pdawg17 @ 01/08/11 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018
The new and improved RTTS?

As a Dubs fan you have made me miss Turiaf all over again...I love that guy...

# 9 Assassin @ 01/08/11 02:18 AM
Sounds like a nice start for the RttS Mode. I liked last year's mode and this one sounds alot better.

# 10 illwill10 @ 01/08/11 03:40 AM
This was all I needed to hear. This is a day-one buy for me. Gone to play NBA 2k11 until March in my free time.

# 11 Bullit @ 01/08/11 08:12 AM
I love RTTS and play it a lot, I can't wait to play now. This is just going to be incredible. No more stupid goals and better training. Then add the sliders in player creation and it is golden.

Now if they just tweaked base running and sliding. Oh yeah and if they fixed your guy trying to steal after your coach has taken away the green light when you sim a game and then get benched I will be in heaven.

# 12 Mr. Franchise @ 01/08/11 10:54 AM
I'm glad to see that SCEA used some of the ideas I posted last year.

# 13 Uncle Stumpy @ 01/08/11 11:51 AM
I've always played RTTS over Franchise..but I'd like to try franchise this year. My problem is this, games take way too long with a 162 game schedule. I'm curious if anyone has found a good balance of playing games...do you just play offence, sim defence, or vice versa or anything like that? I'm not a diehard fan, playing everything is not an option for me

# 14 speels @ 01/08/11 01:06 PM
I always hated those goals they gave you so I am extremely happy they got rid of those. As well, I hope that one day they allow us to make our player how we want. I don't want limits like last year where you could only max out at like 40 power. There are 18 year olds out there that have Major league power or close and I maybe want a player lile that. I don't think Carl Crawford had 40 speed in high school, but 95 speed at 22, they need to open this up. If I want an 18 year old Albert Pujols, then I should be able to have it that way, it's my game and if I want to make it unrealistic I should be able to do that.
That being said, this mode sounds like it has taken a good leap forward.

# 15 Bigsheen @ 01/08/11 02:22 PM
this looks really impressive with the overhaul, only question i have is if my player is in the majors and is a lets say 5 or 6 year vet and had 3-4 good seasons along with an all star appearance, but one season he struggles through the all star break, but the kid below him in AAA is having an amazing year, will my seasoned vet get sent down even though he has a solid career in the majors?

# 16 ripwalk @ 01/08/11 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speels
As well, I hope that one day they allow us to make our player how we want. I don't want limits like last year where you could only max out at like 40 power. There are 18 year olds out there that have Major league power or close and I maybe want a player lile that. I don't think Carl Crawford had 40 speed in high school, but 95 speed at 22, they need to open this up. If I want an 18 year old Albert Pujols, then I should be able to have it that way, it's my game and if I want to make it unrealistic I should be able to do that.
That being said, this mode sounds like it has taken a good leap forward.
Agreed, people should be free to create any and all types of players they want without limitations.

People are excited about the sliders, but personally, what if I want a powerful player who is also fast? It seems it has to be one way or the other, which is also limiting.

# 17 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/08/11 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripwalk
Agreed, people should be free to create any and all types of players they want without limitations.

People are excited about the sliders, but personally, what if I want a powerful player who is also fast? It seems it has to be one way or the other, which is also limiting.
Who says it is limiting?

What is stopping you from pumping points into all categories?

There is no points cap. Eventually you can have all those things if you so desire.

# 18 ripwalk @ 01/08/11 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Who says it is limiting?

What is stopping you from pumping points into all categories?

There is no points cap. Eventually you can have all those things if you so desire.

Eventually is the key word.

As the guy above me posted, Carl Crawford didn't have 40 speed at age 18 and then develop into a 95 speed by age 22.

Crawford isn't a good example because he doesn't have a lot of power, but what if you wanted to create a player straight out of the draft who has plus power and also has plus speed? Is that possible? Seemingly, with having to slide attributes one way or the other, it would not be. That is limiting. Maybe not in the long run, but out the gate, yes, certainly it is.

It seems you have to choose one strength over the other .... and from the get go can't create someone who excels in both the attributes which share a slider.

# 19 Chrisksaint @ 01/08/11 02:51 PM
I wasn't sure about getting this game, but yup gonna go pre order it eventually. RTTS is one of the first things i'll play for awhile until the decent rosters come out, so this is pretty big sweet for me alteast i'm pumped lol

# 20 SoxFan01605 @ 01/08/11 02:53 PM
Quote:

Quote:
Eventually is the key word.

As the guy above me posted, Carl Crawford didn't have 40 speed at age 18 and then develop into a 95 speed by age 22.

Crawford isn't a good example because he doesn't have a lot of power, but what if you wanted to create a player straight out of the draft who has plus power and also has plus speed? Is that possible? Seemingly, with having to slide attributes one way or the other, it would not be. That is limiting. Maybe not in the long run, but out the gate, yes, certainly it is.

It seems you have to choose one strength over the other .... and from the get go can't create someone who excels in both the attributes which share a slider.
Well, you couldn't start of well in multiple categories in previous versions either as you got less points to work with than they are proposing to offer in 11. I think the extra points will be simply a boost to some areas rather than a hamstring to others.

I'm thinking this is more in-line with some RPGs that give you bonuses to certain skills at the beginning, but still allow you to build up the other areas as well.

In other words, you aren't forced to be low-rated in everything if you want to balance you're progression. You can start higher in an area you want to jump start you (maybe you are good at stealing, so speed would net you more points when you're playing since you can rack up extra points stealing bases).

So, now you can start as a speedy contact guy (with more points than you were allowed in previous iterations) and develop his power and strength down the line without feeling like you're not making as much progress.

From reading through the threads here, it seems to be what most guys were doing anyway. Boosting a few key attributes to get themselves going and then filling in the others. With the new system, you are given extra points towards that idea.

Of course, that's just my take...obviously we'll all get a better grip on this in a couple months.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.