Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

GameInformers' Matt Bertz, has posted his MLB 11 The Show hands-on preview. He mostly talks about the major overhaul in RttS mode.

Quote:
"In past creators you were given a blank slate and a bunch of experience points to add wherever you saw fit. This year, Sony is introducing dynamic interactive sliders to help you better tailor your slugger or pitcher. Before you're given attribute points to juice up your prospect, the game presents you with three adjustable sliders that help determine your playing style. For pitchers, the sliders are stamina vs. power, control vs. movement, and pitching repetoire vs. dominant pitch. By moving the sliders across the 100-point scales, you can create drastically different players. If you want to create an innings eater like Carl Pavano, you'd move the sliders toward stamina, control, and pitching repetiore. If you want a power thrower with one pitch to rule them all like Stephen Strasburg, you'd move the sliders toward power, movement, and dominant pitch. Position players have sliders for power vs. contact, glove vs. arm, and speed vs. strength.

Previous Road to the Show modes guided players with dynamic goals that changed every game. Some of the goals, like avoid striking out, seemed obvious. Others, like the coach telling you to take the first pitch, seemed arbitrary. Rather than tweak the logic, Sony decided to scrap the system altogether in favor of a new player performance evaluator. This new logic system tracks your every at-bat or pitching match-up and assigns you a grade for each one. At the end of the game, your overall grade determines the amount of skill points you receive. The evaluator understands the subtleties of the sport better than the dynamic goals ever did; if you foul off nine pitches before popping out, the game knows this is a good at-bat because you stressed the pitcher, and it rewards you appropriately. The same applies to pitching; you're not going to get as many points for striking out a batter on 10 pitches as you would for getting a batter to ground out in three pitches."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 41 hitstreak13 @ 01/10/11 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat9th
I wish they would over haul franchise mode. I have no interest in RTTS.
This! I don't think they overhauled franchise this year (just a guess of course) because of the new control system, weather, etc. Now, I could be wrong (which I hope I am) but franchise is all I play. I am praying we see at least a playable Single-A club this year. If they add single-A, fixed trade logic and budgets I will be a happy man.

# 42 sink4ever @ 01/10/11 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitstreak13
This! I don't think they overhauled franchise this year (just a guess of course) because of the new control system, weather, etc. Now, I could be wrong (which I hope I am) but franchise is all I play. I am praying we see at least a playable Single-A club this year. If they add single-A, fixed trade logic and budgets I will be a happy man.
If they do this plus a much more robust scouting/drafting/training system, I may fly to San Diego to personally hand them the $60. And maybe hug them.

# 43 R9NALD9 @ 01/11/11 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg
I wish they would continue to improve RttS. I have no interest in franchise mode.
Same here!
I bought both mlb 09 the show and mlb 10 the show...and I don't think I've completed 1 full game ever. I religiously play rtts!

I have no intereste in tackling a 162 game season
nor do I have the time.

Rtts for the win, simply by far the best create your own player mode EVER!

# 44 Aggies7 @ 01/11/11 02:41 AM
I wish other games like madden would take a long look at the show and try to emulate it best as possible.

# 45 jvalverde88 @ 01/11/11 04:54 AM
There is really no need to overhaul the Franchise mode, just tweak the sim, trade and roster control logic. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

# 46 Knight165 @ 01/11/11 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
There is really no need to overhaul the Franchise mode, just tweak the sim, trade and roster control logic. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
I agree....and that's pretty much what's happening with '11.
I been trying to put that forth for a while now.....asking for bug fixes and minor tweak suggestions in the "two weeks" thread...but I guess guys weren't catching on.
Like I've said before....sometimes it's a see-saw...one area gets the most attention(or several areas this year) and the other gets minor improvements.
Franchise is getting tweaked and getting the bugs ironed out......there was simply too much else getting worked on elsewhere that took up the most dev time.
It's a balancing act and even with pretty much no dev time to dedicate...Kolbe, Jeff and those guys have found and are STILL finding some time to dedicate to fixing things.

Now...keep in mind that OTHER things that are being added and done to to other areas will impact franchise mode in some ways so even indirectly, franchise is getting some attention.

Don't freak boys......

M.K.
Knight165

# 47 thaSLAB @ 01/11/11 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I agree....and that's pretty much what's happening with '11.
I been trying to put that forth for a while now.....asking for bug fixes and minor tweak suggestions in the "two weeks" thread...but I guess guys weren't catching on.
Like I've said before....sometimes it's a see-saw...one area gets the most attention(or several areas this year) and the other gets minor improvements.
Franchise is getting tweaked and getting the bugs ironed out......there was simply too much else getting worked on elsewhere that took up the most dev time.
It's a balancing act and even with pretty much no dev time to dedicate...Kolbe, Jeff and those guys have found and are STILL finding some time to dedicate to fixing things.

Now...keep in mind that OTHER things that are being added and done to to other areas will impact franchise mode in some ways so even indirectly, franchise is getting some attention.

Don't freak boys......

M.K.
Knight165
I couldn't agree more with this post. Definitely how I feel about it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 48 Eman5805 @ 01/16/11 02:38 AM
This is the news I've been waiting for. The only other thing that would be oh so sweet is if you have more choices for hair. I mean, a REAL fade or a Caesar. Or cornrows that aren't two-dimensional textures. And hearing more about timing of call up logic would be sweet as well.

I hate having to purposefully stagger reaching my goals so I don't get called up just before I play in the minor league All-Star games.

And it'd be tight if you could control personality or something. Like how your player reacts to questionable calls or strike outs. Like if he's expressive he really throws fits or really celebrates a big play. But if he's more laid back, he just takes getting struck out in stride, doesn't argue with the umps and hits the pine.

# 49 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/16/11 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by okbluejays
Have we always had strength as an attribute either in RTTS or Franchise? If not, what exactly does strength do?
Strength ads to arm strength and power. Slight boosts to them I believe.

# 50 BatsareBugs @ 01/16/11 06:28 PM
Interesting. Since these are sliders, what is the increments between each extreme?

I really can't wait for this game to come out based on just this alone. I play both RTTS and Franchise and seriously my head is spinning over which type of player I should start off as.

# 51 brewersfan84 @ 01/18/11 02:12 PM
Now I might actually have use for RTTS! I always hated the damn goal system, glad to see its been cleaned up, now I might have to go and play some with this mode instead of leaving it untouched year after year... Thanks SONY!!

# 52 treyraq @ 01/24/11 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
Maybe not the features, but the screen navigation; They need to make it (way) quicker and (way) easier to view your different rosters, find somebody on a particular roster, check team depth charts, etc. And while I'm at it:
*Get rid of the "closer" and "Left, Center, or Right" Fielder as a particular position--Pitchers should be arranged as LH Starters, RH Starters, LH Relievers and RH Relievers--then each team should just have a designated "Closer". That way, players don't get traded or stocked on benches behind other "Closers."
Outfielders should just be Outfielders with labels that determine where they play better naturally: CF, CF/LF, LF/RF.
That would eliminate a lot of editing players to fit a new Outfield position every time they change teams.
*And how about not erasing stats for players at ANY point during a season? So when the post season begins you can see how an opposing player performed that year.

I love this game, but I can go on and on...but I won't.

# 53 arsenal123gunners @ 01/24/11 06:14 AM
man, if I like last years mode a lot, I can't imagine how much I will like this year's

# 54 bamawaz @ 01/24/11 09:22 AM
I just started playing RTTS recently, even though I have '09 and '10, and I am loving it. Not saying it's perfect, but it's a great addition to the regular game. One thing I would like to see more of however, is POINTS!! Points are the lifeblood of building your player and it gets to be difficult to progress your player when there are so many different places to distribute your points. It's not unusual to only get 55 to 80 points in a game and there's not a whole lot you can do with that when you can only disperse them in 40 point or more increments. In my second year in the minors(AAA) I actually hit for the cycle and was disappointed to see after the game that I did'nt receive any points for it. I only got points for the hits individually. I have not done a pitcher yet, but do you get any additional points for a no hitter or perfect game? These are great accomplishments that are RARE and it seems there would be an additional reward for them. Still love it and looking forward to '11.

Waz

# 55 Knight165 @ 01/24/11 10:09 AM
Just so you know...
RTTS stands for ROAD to the Show....not ROCKET to the Show.

M.K.
Knight165

# 56 aukevin @ 01/24/11 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamawaz
I just started playing RTTS recently, even though I have '09 and '10, and I am loving it. Not saying it's perfect, but it's a great addition to the regular game. One thing I would like to see more of however, is POINTS!! Points are the lifeblood of building your player and it gets to be difficult to progress your player when there are so many different places to distribute your points. It's not unusual to only get 55 to 80 points in a game and there's not a whole lot you can do with that when you can only disperse them in 40 point or more increments. In my second year in the minors(AAA) I actually hit for the cycle and was disappointed to see after the game that I did'nt receive any points for it. I only got points for the hits individually. I have not done a pitcher yet, but do you get any additional points for a no hitter or perfect game? These are great accomplishments that are RARE and it seems there would be an additional reward for them. Still love it and looking forward to '11.

Waz
You'll get more points each game that you play this year than in year's past in my opinion since you are scored per at-bat rather than if you accomplish whatever the situation was like in previous years. You don't get many points if you sim the games, but if you play the games you'll get more points this year.

# 57 bamawaz @ 01/24/11 11:18 AM
Hey Knight,

I understand what you're saying, but I was hoping my Road would be more of a Super Highway than a Long & Winding variety. HA HA

I was going to put the laughing face icon above but I can't even figure out how to get that in the message. I guess we know now why my road will be the long & winding one. (G)

Waz

# 58 Knight165 @ 01/24/11 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamawaz
Hey Knight,

I understand what you're saying, but I was hoping my Road would be more of a Super Highway than a Long & Winding variety. HA HA

I was going to put the laughing face icon above but I can't even figure out how to get that in the message. I guess we know now why my road will be the long & winding one. (G)

Waz

haha....
I hear you...I'm just kiddin' around.
Heck...that's why you can buy points for RTTS at the PS store.(I can't believe how many did)

M.K.
Knight165

# 59 treyraq @ 01/24/11 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
For as little time as I've had this game, I just hope they tweak the trade logic. In my RTTS career, the Braves had Heyward, Kimbrel, Freeman, Minor, Venters and a few others all on the trading block.

I used the final version of the Full Minors roster set and did some tweaks to the above guys to reflect their real life standing as really promising young players.

Seeing them all on the block was nuts to me.
Not only do teams put all their stars on on the block, but I saw a Franchise season once where the Mariners had Pujols, Teixera, and Konerko. Not to mention their AAA 1b prospect was probably the best 1b prospect in the entire league, and they still traded Aaron Hill, their ONLY decent 2b, for Adrian Gonzalez.
I mean commme onnn.

I know they added the option to control all 30 teams last year but frankly, it's time consuming enough for one team.
What I'd like to see is a 'Commissioner' type option, where you could control 1 team, but if any other (Computer) team wanted to put a player up for trade or sign a free agent or promote/demote anyone from the MLB roster, you would get an alert and either Allow it or Deny it, based on that team's needs. It would pretty much function via the honor system, but most of Franchise options already do.

# 60 FreAk47 @ 01/25/11 12:16 PM
I really hope they tweak the RTTS baserunning too, it just killed creating a speedy basestealer because even with good ratings it was a complete crapshoot to steal bases. Plus, when the ball was hit it was impossible to tell if it was going to drop in for a hit because of the poor camera angle.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.