Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

Dwyane Wade in LA. Carmelo under the bright lights in MSG. LeBron to the Suns. The landscape of the NBA is changed at the click of a button, the stars of the league realigned.

A fantasy draft in NBA 2K11 may be one of the most entertaining things you can do to liven up your Association mode. NBA 2K’s AI general managers also draft intelligently, selecting the league’s youngest and brightest stars early in the draft to build around. Rondo, John Wall and Derek Rose are all consistently chosen within the top 10 of the draft.

When building your draft boards, some of us dream about the luxury of having a CP3 or Dwight Howard available to us. But sometimes the ping-pong balls just don’t fall in your favor, and you may find yourself drafting towards the end of the first round.

Regardless of your draft position, you can still build a strong foundation of a team around players not named Kobe, LeBron or Durant. Here are some players to build around when the superstars are no longer on your draft board.

Read More -- NBA 2K11 Fantasy Draft: Scouting for Success

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 loloben @ 01/11/11 08:37 PM
I look for young players to build in the 1st
I usually have a big, a wing, and a point after three rounds.

# 2 Gramps91 @ 01/11/11 09:06 PM
I almost always do a fantasy draft. I find it a lot more interesting because you can build up your own teams and strategically pick your positions. I usually try to have a well balanced team and am a perfectionist of this I always try to have three of every position. I usually try to pick a younger team first and then change a few spots accordingly depending on what trade offers i get and how well those players develop. All the while trying to keep those young players as the base of my team. Also I find 90% of the time the person getting the better overall position player gets the best of the trade. For example if you are offered the 8th best SF for the 15th best SG and 22nd best PF then usually thats a good trade as long as your getting the best player. however, never trade a person if you are running low on that position and never trade a starter unless you can make sure you can have someone to take over that position in your lineup. I've been playing Dynasty/Franchise/Association since Live04/EspnBasketball/March Madness04 year and consider myself an expert on basketball franchise modes. Wishing for 2k, EA, and some form of college bball game to be made next year. 2k games are always my favorite but i still usually get both versions every year and a college game or two. sucks none were made this year.

# 3 vegas83 @ 01/11/11 09:31 PM
I have done two season drafts and always seem to get Jason terry and Caron Butler who are both very solid. The salaries have never been an issue in season mode does it come into play in the Association?

# 4 SBartlett @ 01/11/11 10:04 PM
In Association Mode, there are hard salary caps and soft salary caps, yes.

# 5 vegas83 @ 01/11/11 10:39 PM
I am going to draft that way from now on, will make it much more entertaining and challenging.

# 6 DJ @ 01/12/11 12:09 AM
Good article. Glad to see Afflalo mentioned. He just tore up Phoenix tonight and has really improved his jump shot since first coming into the NBA.

# 7 tril @ 01/12/11 08:54 AM
when I do a fantasy draft. I draft according to the salary cap. I rarely go above the cap by a few million.

# 8 vegas83 @ 01/12/11 09:41 AM
Where do you find the salary cap for the teams when doing a fantasy draft?

# 9 StormJH1 @ 01/12/11 11:10 AM
I love fantasy drafting in NBA 2k11. The A.I. teams are fairly smart about drafting young players with upside, as opposed to just going down the list by OVR. That said, if you're smart about it, you can put together a pretty solid core of young guys that can also compete now. Deron Williams was available at the #8 spot, and he's the anchor of my team. But I get scoring from everywhere. I recommend passing on the "top" centers and grabbing the best young players where you can. I have Kevin Love and Beasley at the forwards, but you find that guys like Marcin Gortat will be available much later. If you already have enough scoring, you're probably better suited with a defender or rebounder at the "5" anyway.

Also, don't be afraid to mix an older veteran as a stopgap you can address in the draft later. Jason Terry is around 32, but the guy is an ASSASSIN for me. If all you want the guy to be is a spot-up shooter anyway, the veteran players may have better composure/shot in traffic ratings than a 20-year old.

Finally, really think about how you're going to keep your bench happy. It may be great to have a high rated player as a 6th or 7th option, but if that guy is accustomed to starting, his ratings are going to plummet quickly if you have him in the wrong role.

# 10 StormJH1 @ 01/12/11 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
I almost always do a fantasy draft. I find it a lot more interesting because you can build up your own teams and strategically pick your positions. I usually try to have a well balanced team and am a perfectionist of this I always try to have three of every position. I usually try to pick a younger team first and then change a few spots accordingly depending on what trade offers i get and how well those players develop. All the while trying to keep those young players as the base of my team. Also I find 90% of the time the person getting the better overall position player gets the best of the trade. For example if you are offered the 8th best SF for the 15th best SG and 22nd best PF then usually thats a good trade as long as your getting the best player. however, never trade a person if you are running low on that position and never trade a starter unless you can make sure you can have someone to take over that position in your lineup. I've been playing Dynasty/Franchise/Association since Live04/EspnBasketball/March Madness04 year and consider myself an expert on basketball franchise modes. Wishing for 2k, EA, and some form of college bball game to be made next year. 2k games are always my favorite but i still usually get both versions every year and a college game or two. sucks none were made this year.
I wish for a new college game as well...I'm also a 2k guy but I can't go back to CH2k8 anymore. Even though they're both 2k, the gameplay in the current NBA games is LIGHT YEARS ahead of that college title. And all the EA basketball games were disasters, in my book. Even if they kept the same recruiting/coach carousel engine from those old games, and put it in the same engine as NBA 2k11, that would be a pretty awesome game. The visuals in CH2k8 are just okay, the animations are far more clunky, and I was never comfortable with how often players miss layups and open jumpers in that game (even if FG % should be less in college, I guess).

# 11 Preo32 @ 01/12/11 03:16 PM
Javale McGee is a great player to draft as well. Lats time i did a draft, i picked him somewhere between the 5th to 7th round, and that may have even been early. He is a great shot blocker, and when he's dunking he is hard to stop on offense. Sure he'll miss some putbacks, but he is young and will only get better. Plus, he should be the worst rated starter you have, and for me, I'll take him anyday.

Also, I always go PG first round. There are so many young PGs that maybe you can wait, but the better ones go early, and usually Ill go for Rose or D-Will. Otherwise, I take Tyreke

# 12 football5680 @ 01/12/11 07:13 PM
If i pick in the top 8 i will get one of the superstars.
If not i just prepare for upcoming season by grabbing players with great potential.

# 13 aabar4518 @ 01/12/11 07:21 PM
Me and 3 of my friends decided to do a fantasy draft association this year. We all drafted fairly young teams all built on potential. We simmed all the games except when we played each other. It was so much fun to build your team and develop your players through training camps, and it was challenging to do so within the salary cap. Made for some tough decisions.

# 14 DJ @ 01/12/11 07:37 PM
I went ahead and did a Fantasy Draft today, using the 76ers as my base team. I had the 20th overall pick. Some interesting first round notes, both Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant wound up with their respective real-life teams. LeBron was the first pick.

I really like the makeup of my team. Here's what the 76ers now look like:

Starters
C-Kendrick Perkins
PF-Lamarcus Aldridge
SF-Hedo Turkoglu
SG-Aaron Afflalo
PG-Steph Curry (first pick)

Bench
SG-Ben Gordon
PF-Glen Davis
C-Chris "Birdman" Anderson
SF-Carlos Delfino
PG-JJ Barea
SG-Jodie Meeks
PF-Donte Greene
C-Etan Thomas

# 15 parker987 @ 01/12/11 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I went ahead and did a Fantasy Draft today, using the 76ers as my base team. I had the 20th overall pick. Some interesting first round notes, both Dwyane Wade and Kobe Bryant wound up with their respective real-life teams. LeBron was the first pick.

I really like the makeup of my team. Here's what the 76ers now look like:

Starters
C-Kendrick Perkins
PF-Lamarcus Aldridge
SF-Hedo Turkoglu
SG-Aaron Afflalo
PG-Steph Curry (first pick)

Bench
SG-Ben Gordon
PF-Glen Davis
C-Chris "Birdman" Anderson
SF-Carlos Delfino
PG-JJ Barea
SG-Jodie Meeks
PF-Donte Greene
C-Etan Thomas
Ahh, put Ben gordon over affalo in starter

# 16 DJ @ 01/12/11 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker987
Ahh, put Ben gordon over affalo in starter
Gordon has always been a better 6th man than starter. Plus, I like Afflalo's defense to start games.

# 17 SBartlett @ 01/12/11 11:15 PM
Afflalo D's Kobe up real well. He got my attention last year in the playoffs. His shot is solid, too. Here is my Sacramento Kings lineup...

Starters:

C-Oden
PF-Hakeem Warrick
SF- Redd
SG- Afflalo
PG-Deron Williams

Bench:

C-Nene
PF- Brandon Bass
SF- Kyle Korver
SG- Martell Webster
PG - Ronnie Price
C- Hilton Armstrong
SG- JJ Reddick

Sometimes, late in games I go will go with Both Nene and Oden down low to protect that house!

# 18 DJ @ 01/13/11 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBartlett
Afflalo D's Kobe up real well. He got my attention last year in the playoffs. His shot is solid, too. Here is my Sacramento Kings lineup...

Starters:

C-Oden
PF-Hakeem Warrick
SF- Redd
SG- Afflalo
PG-Deron Williams

Bench:

C-Nene
PF- Brandon Bass
SF- Kyle Korver
SG- Martell Webster
PG - Ronnie Price
C- Hilton Armstrong
SG- JJ Reddick

Sometimes, late in games I go will go with Both Nene and Oden down low to protect that house!
Afflalo has really become a top-tier defender. I remember being upset when the Nuggets couldn't re-sign Dahantay Jones, who was a beast defensively when the Nuggets made it to the Western Conference Finals, and thinking Afflalo was a downgrade. Turns out Denver upgraded the position as Afflalo is just as good defensively and has come into his own (and is capable of more, I believe) offensively.

If the Melo trade ever goes down, I'd look for Afflalo's scoring to go up. He's got a good stroke and can attack the rim.

-------------------------

OK, back to the fantasy draft. Steve, you've got some sharpshooters on your bench. That will come in handy, for sure. I like Brandon Bass and Nene is really good in the paint in 2K.

# 19 MikeRo72 @ 01/13/11 01:03 AM
I restarted my fantasy league with my NY Knicks and gave myself the 30th Pick. Put all the traditional powers towards the top (Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Jazz, etc) and the bottom feeders towards the bottom of the draft order (Nets, Clippers, Warriors, Wizards, etc).

I've mocked a couple of drafts and for the first time Yao Ming fell to me @ 30. I prefer to pick dead last every round because it obviously makes it more difficult to assemble a quality team. Here are the results of my draft.

1-C Yao Ming
2- PF Kevin Love
3- SF Andre Kirelenko
4- SF Rahard Lewis
5- PG Michael Bibby
6- SG Aaron Afflalo
7- PF Boris Diaw
8- SG Thabo Sefolosha
9- SF Kyle Korver
10- C DeAndre Jordan
11- PG Boobie Gibson
12- SF Donte Green
13- PG AJ Price

I then signed Blake Griffin's twin brother and Joe Alexander (of West Virginia Univ fame) and sent them to the D-League.

Thabo then became unhappy when I had to demote him from Sixth Man to Bench Warmer. His defense impressed me so I then promoted him to Role Player but his moral was still in the dumps so I turned around and traded Sefolosha and AJ Price for Chris "Bird Man" Anderson. His contract expires at the end of the season so It should give me room to free up space to re-sign Aaron Afflalo to a multi-year deal.

Another thing fellas....make sure to edit all the generic D League players to 44 or 45 years old so that they retire after season 1 and the 2nd season of your association will have 90% real NBA journeymen and real prospects from the draft class.

Lastly (actually do this before starting the Assoc) I created a pretty accurate Ricky Rubio and added him to the existing 2012 draft class I uploaded from 2k share as I was reading he should be stateside next season.

# 20 Sublime12089 @ 01/13/11 02:43 AM
Props on choosing to pick last, and rearranging the teams. it looks good. But you are going to regret picking up Rashard Lewis's contract. Badly.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.