Home
Fight Night Champion News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Producer Jazz Brousseau spent some time illustrating some of the new gameplay aspects you can expect to see in Fight Night Champion. In this video, he gives the rundown of the action. The difficulty is set to GOAT with sim presentation settings. Check out the fight, as he (Hagler) throws down with Hearns.

Quote:
"Things are crazy here right now, so I’m just going to cut to the chase. I jumped into one of our game capture studios this week to try and grab some gameplay clips you guys have been asking for since we put out all our videos.

In the fight you are seeing here, I am fighting Hearns (CPU) as Hagler in a 12-round fight on GOAT difficulty with the presentation style set to Simulation and commentary audio off.

As you can see, my play style is pretty conservative, especially in the early rounds. Even though Hagler has a great chin, I don’t like exchanging punches and prefer to lead with my jab so I can open up my opponent for power hooks. Very rarely do I throw more than 3-4 punches in a row and, when I do, it’s either because I’m trying to steal the round or because I think Hearns is hurting.

I try to keep to this strategy even when my opponent is stunned - there is nothing worse than going to town on someone just to have them come out of the stun state and force me to retreat. Other than my jabs and straights, I also don’t throw finesse punches that often. I know Hagler has a lot of power, so if I’m throwing lunging hooks and uppercuts, there’s a good chance they’re power punches.

You may notice that, after Hearns caught me with a minor stun, I moved to the middle of the ring. I wanted to hit him with some lunging power punches. The first hook didn’t quite connect, so I stepped back and tried again. Game over."

Source - A Quick Look at Gameplay (FNC Blog)

Game: Fight Night ChampionReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Fight Night Champion Videos
Member Comments
# 1 milin @ 01/14/11 11:39 PM
No flicker jab for Hearns = me disappointed . It looks great thought.

# 2 Sausage @ 01/15/11 12:44 AM
This video was one of the better ones I have seen. Hype meter up +10. I noticed that Hagler was being the aggressor and his overall stamina was taking a hit. I liked the fact when Hearns got hurt there was no slow motion effect, which made hard to land killer shots in R4.

The final knockout at then end of the video was almost exactly similar to Sergio Martinez KO'ing Paul Williams

# 3 TreyIM2 @ 01/15/11 01:21 AM
Hearns getting stunned without the "dramatics" of previous FNs was refreshing and so was that effin' knock out!!! Woooo, I had to look at that a few times. I don't recall if FN4 has knockouts like that. Haven't played it in a long time but Hearns just DROPPED with a QUICKNESS! Nice! I am a lot more excited about this one.

# 4 NINJAK2 @ 01/15/11 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
This video was one of the better ones I have seen. Hype meter up +10. I noticed that Hagler was being the aggressor and his overall stamina was taking a hit. I liked the fact when Hearns got hurt there was no slow motion effect, which made hard to land killer shots in R4.

The final knockout at then end of the video was almost exactly similar to Sergio Martinez KO'ing Paul Williams
This is probably the best video yet. Footwork isn't perfect but it looks better than FN4. Hagler was able to get in and out of range quickly.

# 5 Str8_A @ 01/15/11 01:52 AM
The punches looks like they got some snap now. The jab looks good.

# 6 ps3veron @ 01/15/11 03:30 AM
Very nice! I like the fact that the punches have that "oomph" feeling to it. You can actually feel the impact and damage of each blow.

# 7 Dazraz @ 01/15/11 03:54 AM
It seems that EA have got the sweet science spot on in this version of Fight Night. The boxers movement seems so natural & they look awesome. Excellent stuff.

The one area I expect this game to disappoint is the presentation. Part of the excitement of a big fight match-up is the pre fight hype. Other than the pre scripted Story Mode it doesn't seem EA have done much to address this. Even a simple one off Play Now fight should be accompanied by some pre fight sequences such as video of the weigh-in & pre fight predictions.
I'm sure it was with good reason the commentary was switched off in the video.

# 8 MrBallaBoy21 @ 01/15/11 06:52 AM
Different game, same stuff. Don't even try to say the movement has improved because it hasn't. Neither of those two are rushing but that same gallop is there. If I could vote I'd give it a 1/10.

# 9 Bamtino @ 01/15/11 09:49 AM
That was...impressive...

Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but the punch animations (specifically the jab) look much more organic and actually have snap to them...The flow of the fight also felt natural as opposed to the sockem bopper crap we were used to getting these last 7 years...At the very least now i know i'll have a pretty good boxing experience playing offline...

The negatives i got from the video, the sound effects sound like something you'd hear in a Disney movie...Maybe its just me but everything sounds extra squeaky and the crowd is dead as usual...They also didn't do anything about the footwork...Boxers are still sliding around like they're on ice skates with no weight applied whatsoever...

That's all i got from that video, for the first time i can say i'm interested enough to actually download the demo...

# 10 majestic @ 01/15/11 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
This is probably the best video yet. Footwork isn't perfect but it looks better than FN4. Hagler was able to get in and out of range quickly.
Totally agree --- best video yet. I mean, I could still give you a long list of animations I'd like to see added to make the fighters look less stiff and move more realistically, but the gameplay improvements are clear. This fight plays out strategically and dramatically... and the KO looks good. If they nail the gameplay, there's a lot of missing stuff I can forgive. And this video is starting to make me think they got the gameplay right.

# 11 allBthere @ 01/15/11 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic
Totally agree --- best video yet. I mean, I could still give you a long list of animations I'd like to see added to make the fighters look less stiff and move more realistically, but the gameplay improvements are clear. This fight plays out strategically and dramatically... and the KO looks good. If they nail the gameplay, there's a lot of missing stuff I can forgive. And this video is starting to make me think they got the gameplay right.
I agree, I think I'm back on board for this one after selling 4 very quickly.

I know phobia mentioned some camera options and they're needed, I'd like to see the boots and have less head-room. It's unnecessary to have that much wasted space above their heads - I'd rather see the feet.

# 12 reppa @ 01/15/11 11:17 PM
Great vid. Did anyone notice punching from the guard position? I didn't see it myself.

# 13 acarrero @ 01/16/11 03:24 AM
Looks pretty awesome, much improved. Still has plenty of room to improve in the coming years, but they may finally have found the right formula for FN gameplay upon which to build. Hagler looks and fights realistically great, but not convinced with Hearns. He looks too big, not skinny enough, and I saw little of his powerful long punches. I wonder how many specific animations they have for punches. It's the key step to making each boxers feel different. If you're going to have less than 100 licensed boxers, it should be easy to get the punching animations of each boxer's punches simulated correctly. I think they have started to do that with some animations, but perhaps not enough yet.

# 14 boritter @ 01/16/11 05:31 AM
The boxer graphics look worse than FN4. I can't pinpoint exactly what looks off, but every video leaves me with this same feeling.

Does anyone else feel this way?

# 15 videobastard @ 01/16/11 09:00 AM
I wish they have better camera angles to use this time around. I do not like the default camera the way it centers all the time. The gameplay is still a little too sluggish for me. If thats the speed when they have full stamina imagine when their energy gets half way or depleted. You can tell the crowd will dead again.

# 16 JayBee74 @ 01/16/11 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdribbles25
starting to like what I see....but why does hearns have to be so "thick" wheres this guy???
Yeah, Hearns looks more like a light heavyweight in that video.

# 17 Vast @ 01/16/11 02:32 PM
Hearns was the computer AI at the highest difficulty setting, so at least its not cheesy this year; but it definitely doesn't seem to offer much of a challenge.
Hearns was not aggressive at all, and his jab seemed ineffective.

Hopefully i'm just overanalyzing things.

# 18 SteelerSpartan @ 01/16/11 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
Hearns was the computer AI at the highest difficulty setting, so at least its not cheesy this year; but it definitely doesn't seem to offer much of a challenge.
Hearns was not aggressive at all, and his jab seemed ineffective.

Hopefully i'm just overanalyzing things.
Looks like we're going to have to bump up that CPU Off awr slider............Just hope we don't get some lame cheese like that instant Jab-Counter from FNR4

# 19 DaveDQ @ 01/16/11 03:32 PM
I feel like the camera is too overbearing. It accentuates the two boxers to where the ring looks too small. Fortunately, Phobia mentioned there are alternate camera views, but the one in this video is too zoomed in and heavy feeling.

# 20 Phobia @ 01/16/11 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
I feel like the camera is too overbearing. It accentuates the two boxers to where the ring looks too small. Fortunately, Phobia mentioned there are alternate camera views, but the one in this video is too zoomed in and heavy feeling.
Yea I mentioned a few times. Wide camera + simulation presentation = Much better than default. You can see about a foot worth of canvas under the fighters feet. So it is far enough out to see both fighters completely.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.