Home
WWE All Stars News Post

Check out the WWE All Stars preview at IGN.

So far, the roster includes:
  • John Cena
  • The Rock
  • Andre the Giant
  • Bret Hart
  • Rey Mysterio
  • Triple H
  • John Morrison
  • "Macho Man" Randy Savage
  • Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat
  • Big Show
  • Kofi Kingston
  • Sheamus
  • The Million Dollar Man (GameStop Exclusive)
  • Ted Dibiase (GameStop Exclusive)

Quote:
"Now, lots of games say crap like "easy to pick up but deep," but I'm happy to tell you that it looks like THQ isn't BSing us this time When I was just getting a feel for the controls, I was still pulling off fantastical stuff -- I made Rey Mysterio run up Andre the Giant's chest, leap to the top rope, and then fire off an attack. That's amazingly awesome to watch and satisfying to do. When I had built up a finisher, it was a simple pair of button presses to pull off and see Bret the Hitman Hart grab his opponent and throw him into the Sharpshooter for the KO.

As I got the hang of that stuff, the strategy and depth of the game began to shine through. When someone's grabbing for you, you can reverse it with a button press and perform the grab on them. They can reverse it as well to get a chain going. When you knock guys down, they're going to get up pretty quickly to keep WWE All Stars frantic pace, but every other time you drop an opponent, they'll glow red letting you know that you can perform a move without the fear of them popping right back up.

Layered on that base stuff are character classes. Big Men are slow but are hard to knock down, while Acrobats can connect from the top rope pretty much anywhere in the ring and run without draining their extreme signature move bar as quickly. Each class has its own pros and cons."

Game: WWE All StarsReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 8 - View All
WWE All Stars Videos
Member Comments
# 21 DJ @ 01/20/11 12:20 AM
I think this may be a little too over the top for my tastes. I did like Legends of Wrestlemania, though, so who knows? SVR 11 had potential but I just can't seem to find the right 'sweet spot' with my settings to get a good, fair match out of the CPU.

One of the coolest things about LOW was the grapchis changed based on which WM arena you wrestled in. The ring banners and arenas (not 100% but some were real good) also were made to look different, so WM III looked different than WM IX (loved the Ceasar's Palace setting, even if the actual event was lame) Is that going to be in this game?

# 22 Eski33 @ 01/20/11 02:42 PM
I wish someone out there would add some of the old school Georgia Championship wrestlers....Tommy "Wildfire" Rich, The Great Kabuki (he spit a green mist out of his mouth, it was awesome), the Armstrongs, Dusty Rhodes, to name a few....

I hope that this game has Jake "The Snake", Honky Tonk Man, Rick Rude, The Ultimate Warrior, and Hulk Hogan....Those guys were entertainers....

# 23 thescoop @ 01/24/11 12:00 PM
The legends list is pretty great. Now that we see it is possible to get Hogan, Macho and Ultimate into a WWE game, I hope that SVR series is taking note. I want them back in there so I can run with them and save my CAWs for other guys. And please add them without dropping any current legends.

This All-Stars game just earned a rental from me for this awesome line-up....maybe a purchase if it is solid.

# 24 Streets @ 01/24/11 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop
The legends list is pretty great. Now that we see it is possible to get Hogan, Macho and Ultimate into a WWE game, I hope that SVR series is taking note. I want them back in there so I can run with them and save my CAWs for other guys. And please add them without dropping any current legends.

This All-Stars game just earned a rental from me for this awesome line-up....maybe a purchase if it is solid.
I hope SVR drops legends all-together and uses the available space to only add current wrestlers and have the most up to date roster possible.

Save legends for games like All-Stars or Legends of Wrestlemania where this idea is to have "dream matchups" featuring wrestlers both old and new.

It'd be like 2K adding more random legends like Charles Barkley, but leaving off some important rookies and 10-12 men on your favorite basketball team. I'd ALWAYS rather have the latter.

# 25 thescoop @ 01/24/11 03:45 PM
I disagree, unless they are willing to make a true legends game that is like SVR and not an arcade game like all-stars, or one with limited features like LOW, then I want them in. A lot of gamers don't care about current wrestling but enjoy the games. We want the legends. And most people want them as well.

Only way I'd support that is if they ever were to release a true legends game, something like SVR: Classics that features all the modes found on SVR but with nothing but a legends roster. If they did that, I'd pick it up over SVR. They aren't going to so legends need to stay apart of the game.

# 26 Streets @ 01/24/11 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoop
I disagree, unless they are willing to make a true legends game that is like SVR and not an arcade game like all-stars, or one with limited features like LOW, then I want them in. A lot of gamers don't care about current wrestling but enjoy the games. We want the legends. And most people want them as well.

Only way I'd support that is if they ever were to release a true legends game, something like SVR: Classics that features all the modes found on SVR but with nothing but a legends roster. If they did that, I'd pick it up over SVR. They aren't going to so legends need to stay apart of the game.
Again, I (respectfully) disagree. The WWE has slots they set aside for at most like what, 10 legends (if that)? The problem is that those 10 guys aren't nearly enough to do anything for legends fanatics and they take away from the current roster. By adding more legends, they have to take some out, so you'll still be unhappy, or they cut the official roster down even more. While it's a cute gimmick to put them in, it takes away people who are currently wrestling. Many people never use the legends (myself included), because those guys do not exist. Yes, Hogan exists in that he is alive. But, the 20 or 30 something year old Hogan that is in All-Stars no longer exists in reality.

One thing we agree on is the games should be kept separate. One game for legends and bigger name superstars of today, and one for the official roster as is, saving the legends for the other game. Both games should have plenty of CAW slots so unhappy people can try to create more happiness.

Unfortunately, what you want, isn't really sim. The idea of wrestlers from different eras in their prime jumping into a time machine and fighting one another in 2011 is tailor made for more of an arcade game, as it's arcadey in concept. The SDv.Raw series has trouble enough keeping their roster current, due to the lack of roster updates and poor release time (right around "future endeavor" time). Sliding further away from that and into fantasy land is not the answer. The Smackdown series should be more about what's current, and stray from legends entirely.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.