Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

This is a very very late addition/change to MLB 11 The Show. Kolbe and Jeff Ulman, one of our senior AI programmers, went into the cave this past weekend and re-wrote a massive amount of code for trades and off-season logic for franchise mode.

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Russell_SCEA @ 01/24/11 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
Very interesting. Can you elaborate more? Is the cpu looking for something different now? What offseason adjustments have been made? Trades, FA signings, arbitration, renewing etc...?

Have the bugs from 10 been fleshed out? 2013 issues as well as not being able to trade until Jan. 1st?

Thanks again guys.

What are the 2013 issues?

# 22 arsenal123gunners @ 01/24/11 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
What are the 2013 issues?
Where no one gets signed in 2013 off-season due to no money being available to sign them because of high contracts

# 23 Russell_SCEA @ 01/24/11 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal123gunners
Where no one gets signed in 2013 off-season due to no money being available to sign them because of high contracts

I'll check that one out now

# 24 Russell_SCEA @ 01/24/11 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
LOL

You slept for 4 hours? Slacker

And Ramone would like to say thank you for that......

In all seriousness Kolbe, thank you to both yourself and Jeff for your hard work. It truly is appreciated.

And in all seriousness Ramone, might wanna hop off meebo and turn off PM's.

I'll just post a few things I come across them. One of the major changes is dumping old elite players for young studs. You all know exactly what I'm talking about from last year. You can no longer accomplish in an unfair manner like previous years. However you can still trade them for prospects but you won't be receiving anyone who has developed into a solid player yet. For example I'm a Rays fan we just signed Manny I have no use for him on my team and I want D.Jennings to get a shot. So I need to move Manny but I can't get anyone decent with him only prospects or players of similar caliber and age. For instance the Phillie's won't even take the trade of Manny for D.Brown seriously last year they take that trade.

# 25 Rob_NYY @ 01/24/11 07:15 PM
Quote:
For instance the Phillie's won't even take the trade of Manny for D.Brown seriously last year they take that trade.
That's awesome!

This just makes the wait even harder. I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

# 26 bayman @ 01/24/11 07:16 PM
The 2013 problem from my limited testing is that with training, players in general become too good and demand really high contracts. The problem becomes two fold, one there is too many good players and two it creates a large amount of very good players as free agents. I found that if training is set to manual and no training is actually done (30 team control) the talent level stays at a reasonable level and the free agent issue disappears.

# 27 Stroehms @ 01/24/11 07:24 PM
I can't wait to start my franchise with the Full Minors roster.

So stoked for this game! Great Job guys.

So does this mean we can resign players during the season?

# 28 tabarnes19_SDS @ 01/24/11 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KolbeSCEA
It has been extremely difficult - so a big "you better damn like it" damnit from Jeff and I to you!

Neither of us has slept more than 4 hours a day since Thursday when we started down this road. We still have a few kinks to work out but I'm really pumped about the improvements thus far.

Details... no, but I believe I'll allow RamOne to give you his impressions (He's playing with our changes today).

{edit} Let me make one fact clear... We did not do even 10% of what I want to do with Franchise... This is the best we can do with the time we have remaining. So dont go expecting Expansion mode or any other nutball idea {/edit}
-K

Thanks Kolbe, top notch as always.

# 29 Russell_SCEA @ 01/24/11 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing808s
Can one of the SCEA developers finally explain what does training do? How does it improve a player?

What are those weird checklist option for training assignments for? Do they work?

Player progression works two ways during the season based on performance your players will fluctuate attribute wise. Training is what makes them improve after the season is over. You want to train your players in what you think is important for about 3-5 weeks at a time.

# 30 Heroesandvillains @ 01/24/11 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayman
The 2013 problem from my limited testing is that with training, players in general become too good and demand really high contracts. The problem becomes two fold, one there is too many good players and two it creates a large amount of very good players as free agents. I found that if training is set to manual and no training is actually done (30 team control) the talent level stays at a reasonable level and the free agent issue disappears.
Just to add to this post Kolbe, the 2013 FA issue has a lot to do with how younger players (developed into studs due to their high potential) will sign much cheaper (from what I understand) than let's say, Joe Maurer.

The CPU is making a good call currently. They see great ratings, potential and age. It's just that these prospects (who've developed into all-star caliber players) dillute the 2013 FA market, and good/established vets are going left unsigned.

Knight can probably explain this better than me. LOL The post I quoted IS helpful, but leaves the "issue" a little under explained.

It's mostly linked to potential. Thus, this is why "untraining" eases the problem, as these prospects develop less quickly into stars.

# 31 Knight165 @ 01/24/11 07:43 PM
Nice.....very nice.
Kolbe...thank you very much. It's greatly appreciated.

Just FYI guys....Kolbe is aware of the 2013...he told me if he could work it out....he would. It sounds like trades took a great effort though.
I'll be okay with no training again....mainly because....did you guys read?...
"It's not even 10% of what I want to do to franchise!!"
I like the sound of that.

Kolbe...how did you lasso Jeff back to the franchise section?!

M.K.
Knight165

# 32 tabarnes19_SDS @ 01/24/11 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Nice.....very nice.

Just FYI guys....Kolbe is aware of the 2013...he told me if he could work it out....he would. It sounds like trades took a great effort though.

M.K.
Knight165
Depending on what aspects of offseason have been worked on that could alleviate the problem as well. If the cpu sees a player with 0 years MLB experience and just renews and offers reasonable arbitration in first 6 years things will be ok. Problem really occurred with prospects getting 5-9 million and no mlb experience.

If not a "good roster set " will help with few A potential players. Very encouraging news. I'm really interested to hear more about what has been done to offseason.

# 33 Knight165 @ 01/24/11 07:56 PM
I will hazard a guess as to a few of the changes to trading.

1....the frequency as it pertains to the date in the season. I think we'll see less trades in May-June...much more in July...and similar numbers after the deadline.
2. The difficulty in trading with the CPU(as to what Ramone has already referred to)
3. What the CPU teams look for in regards to their current status in both depth and the standings.

Off season?....I really have no idea....as Kolbe snuck this in!! (so to say)

tb;
I think you are right....the off season workings and being able to balance the rosters now....right off the bat will help big time. There were just too many A pitchers in the default to work off last year. I know the O.S.F.M. will have much fewer A's in it this year.

M.K.
Knight165

# 34 theaub @ 01/24/11 07:57 PM
Quote:
Player progression works two ways during the season based on performance your players will fluctuate attribute wise. Training is what makes them improve after the season is over. You want to train your players in what you think is important for about 3-5 weeks at a time.
Oh sweet I didn't know that was in the game.

Thanks

# 35 Rwings832 @ 01/24/11 08:12 PM
This is awesome news, nothing like pulling your hair out because you had to give up that great prospect, or don't have the players to get a paticular player...great job to the team.

# 36 CubFan23 @ 01/24/11 08:27 PM
SmileyCentral.comThanks for Screwing me over Kolbe & Jeff, Now I won't be able to dump Soriano on someone for a young stud hitter in my Cubs Franchise! Great...Just F*&king Great!

# 37 econoodle @ 01/24/11 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Nice.....very nice.

M.K.
Knight165
yep, 10%
that means about 9 more things to be added.
lets start the list! lolol

# 38 dave724 @ 01/24/11 08:30 PM
Thank you. This is what makes this SCEA crew special. You had me already and now you add sweeteners to the mix. I appreciate it and am sure I will enjoy playing the franchise even more.

If others haven't already gotten the feeling you guys don't rest on the fact that you have already made the best baseball game ever, but that you continue to improve on it. That type of devotion does not go unnoticed. Boy, would I hate to be in that 2k MLB office...

# 39 Knight165 @ 01/24/11 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
yep, 10%
that means about 9 more things to be added.
lets start the list! lolol
Oh...I think it's more than 9....and if you visit the franchise mode thread...you'll see we've already started!
Just what Kolbe wanted to hear!

M.K.
Knight165

# 40 Doormat @ 01/24/11 08:41 PM
Quote:
This is a very very late addition/change to MLB 11. Kolbe and Jeff Ulman one of our senior AI programmers went into the cave this past weekend and re-wrote a massive amount of code for trades and off-season logic for franchise mode.
Great to hear from you guys again =)

You guys have some great workers, I wish to pay extra when I buy MLB 11

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.