Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

#1: The analog controls in MLB '11: The Show will be a monumental success and will surpass what 2K has done with analog controls thus far.

Christian McLeod: Fiction. Like the overall game or not, it's tough to knock 2K when it comes to the implementation of analog controls, particularly the pitching, in MLB 2K. MLB 11's analog controls will breathe new life into a series that has been beyond stale controls-wise for the last three years. While this will translate to monumental success for the series in my eyes, 2K's solid job thus far with analog implementation makes it difficult for me to believe that MLB 11 will be adding anything that is leaps and bounds better.

Dustin Toms: Fiction. Christian is absolutely correct. The analog controls should be a huge improvement for the game, but they won't be up to par with what 2K has been doing the past few years. For example, The Show could conceivably experience issues with their controls for awhile or even need an early patch. In the long run, it is a great move for them, but I don't expect it to be outstanding from the outset.

Read More - Fact or Fiction: Can't Wait for Baseball Games Edition

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Knight165 @ 01/26/11 11:37 AM
On the fielding aspect of this shootout....I think two of you guys partake a bit too much before playing. I won't say which two...but nice job Caley!!!!(except for the Philly fan part!)

M.K.
Knight165

# 2 Knight165 @ 01/26/11 11:38 AM
Oh....forgot my smiley for my first post!
All in good fun...

M.K.
Knight165

# 3 HITTERSAURUS REX @ 01/26/11 11:53 AM
Listen, anytime one is able to talk SCEA MLB Show, MLB2Ksports & EA's MVP all within a paragraph of fact or fiction topics makes interesting headlines. Predict-a-ball says MLB the show has the edge at least up to 2013.

# 4 nemesis04 @ 01/26/11 11:55 AM
As far as head to head analog controls it will be interesting:

Pitching: It could be a toss up as each one has its own feel. People who like to watch the pitcher's full motion after their input will probably prefer 2k's approach more. Without knowing how much they tuned the pitching in 2k, the user input results were better represented with the Show's analog pitching.

Hitting: If nothing gets addressed in 2k's system the Show's hitting will be way ahead in this category.

Fielding: I am actually looking forward to this match up. Each company spent some time in this area of the game. Obviously player attributes, animations and user input are going to be key driving elements on how well the analog system responds.

# 5 HustlinOwl @ 01/26/11 12:01 PM
It still baffles me as to why people think 2K discovered the next great thing with analog controls? NCAA MVP had analog long before both 2k & The Show

# 6 jestep123 @ 01/26/11 12:42 PM
I may be wrong but arent this years pitching controls for the Show ripped from NCAA Baseball 2007?

# 7 HITTERSAURUS REX @ 01/26/11 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HustlinOwl
It still baffles me as to why people think 2K discovered the next great thing with analog controls? NCAA MVP had analog long before both 2k & The Show
Analog, Total Control Pitching:
You gotta give MLB2K, Kushgames credit though. They took risks for 2k8 by building a better mouse trap and introduced the pitching meter without you taking your eye off the plate or batter at time of delivery. But since the VC takeover and the removal of KG they now introduced a more simplified, user friendly system which now has come back to bite them in the you know where. Which is why they are now saying they revised the pitching usage.

Analog Swing Stick:
It's still up in the air as to what makes it a solid foundation for PS3, 360 systems. Everyone still uses PS2 & Org Xbox NCAA MVP 07 as the better mouse trap for batting up and swinging.

# 8 HITTERSAURUS REX @ 01/26/11 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestep123
I may be wrong but arent this years pitching controls for the Show ripped from NCAA Baseball 2007?
MLB11's Analog Batting, Analog Pitching
I've been thinking along the same line due to the mechanics involved. I am heavily swaying that it's not a direct rip but SCEA has devised this as a better approach on building a better mouse trap by refining and tuning something that has been already has been praised in EA's NCAA 2007 as being successful.

MLB11's Analog Fielding:
I need way more info on which route they're taking.. overhead throwing meter display as in MVP 05, NCAA 07, MLB2K8 or are they still using their colorful circle meter with tweaks. (Hmm I need to revisit the PSnation gameplay vid or CD comments again as I just don't remember at the moment)

# 9 HITTERSAURUS REX @ 01/26/11 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HITTERSAURUS REX
MLB11's Analog Fielding:
I need way more info on which route they're taking.. overhead throwing meter display as in MVP 05, NCAA 07, MLB2K8 or are they still using their colorful circle meter with tweaks. (Hmm I need to revisit the PSnation gameplay vid or CD comments again as I just don't remember at the moment)
Here's community member NemesisOS hands on with MLB11's fielding controls.
Click> http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2042046498

# 10 anchorsteamer @ 01/26/11 03:28 PM
I love how none of the editors would pick the Giants to go back to the World Series, especially the two editors who would pick the Phillies with a straight face. Maybe the Giants didn't drastically improve their offense, but did you miss the postseason? I don't remember the Phillies offense competing at all against Giants pitching--they couldn't even bring it to 7 games. Laughable.

# 11 tril @ 01/26/11 05:10 PM
IMO, 2ks analog controls and game presentation/ no cutaways/realtime is what made The Show 09 and 10 start to feel a little stale.
Sony had every reason to implement analog controls. This may make an above average title even better.

2k has shown steady improvement and it would be a shame to abandon the MLB 2k title once the
exclusive licens runs out

# 12 rudyjuly2 @ 01/26/11 07:54 PM
I agree with most of Nem's comments. I think 2K's gesture pitching where the input occurs before the delivery is more fun to do and watch. They do need to add a pitch accuracy slider so we don't pinpoint things.

The Show's analog batting controls sound good. I have no idea what changes 2K is doing. I just hope the Show lets us slow down the pitch speed to we can use it properly. I hope 2K tones down the opposite field power for their system and reduces the enormous gap between contact and power swings. Both systems are timing based (my preference) although the Show will require you to lean in the direction of the ball which sounds good. I think I might be able to handle that.

Analog fielding - have no clue. 2K's fielding was on auto pilot with no errors last year. Couldn't have been much worse but they have promised a complete fix this year. The Show has analog controls that sound very tough but can be adjusted via difficulty levels. Only time will tell with hand on time.

As for EA, I fully expect them to make a next gen MVP baseball game when the exclusive license gets dropped. I also expect 2K to keep making 2K baseball. They get killed on the PS3 but there are still a ton of baseball gamers on the 360.

As for the World Series I'll just say I wouldn't expect either team back solely because it's so hard, especially when you don't have massive payrolls.

# 13 devroid @ 01/26/11 09:35 PM
This is the most psyched I've been for a Brewer's season in my life, even though I think their defense has the potential to be historically abysmal.
I bought a ps3 almost entirely to play the Show. I loved it but spent so much time tweaking audio clips and settings that I'm still only barely past the All-star break in my season. I'm curious about 2k as I'm a huge NBA 2k junkie and their pitching controls sounded like a great idea. I know the smart thing would be to just wait till the price comes down a month after release and everybody has gotten the rosters tweaked to get one but I'm not that strong. I have a feeling MLB 2k is gonna bring it this year which will make the decision that much tougher.

# 14 stlstudios189 @ 01/26/11 10:45 PM
MLB 2k11 is going to be a blast

# 15 CPRoark @ 01/27/11 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorsteamer
I don't remember the Phillies offense competing at all against Giants pitching--they couldn't even bring it to 7 games. Laughable.
I give your Giants credit for winning the Series; it was well-earned. However, let's not go crazy. In San Fran's 4 wins against the Phils in the NLCS, the run differential was 16-11, with two of the games ending with a difference of 1 run. In the two games the Phillies won, they beat the Giants by a combined 7 runs (6-1, 4-2).

Again, credit goes to the Giants for getting the job done; but I hardly think it "laughable" to pick the Phillies--even if their offense struggles again, their pitching will most likely be much better.

# 16 anchorsteamer @ 01/27/11 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRoark
I give your Giants credit for winning the Series; it was well-earned. However, let's not go crazy. In San Fran's 4 wins against the Phils in the NLCS, the run differential was 16-11, with two of the games ending with a difference of 1 run. In the two games the Phillies won, they beat the Giants by a combined 7 runs (6-1, 4-2).

Again, credit goes to the Giants for getting the job done; but I hardly think it "laughable" to pick the Phillies--even if their offense struggles again, their pitching will most likely be much better.
I would agree with you about the pitching...if the Giants had not beaten Cliff Lee twice in the World Series. This being with an apparently terrible offense.

You really don't think the Giants could make the playoffs out of the NL West?

# 17 CPRoark @ 01/28/11 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anchorsteamer
I would agree with you about the pitching...if the Giants had not beaten Cliff Lee twice in the World Series. This being with an apparently terrible offense.

You really don't think the Giants could make the playoffs out of the NL West?
I certainly think the Giants have a shot out of the West, but I think it will be close again. I think the West is a competitive division, and really any team could vie for a spot. I just wouldn't be surprised if both the Giants and Rangers miss...not that it's a certainty.

Meanwhile in the East and Central, there are teams who you can probably write off today.

And I don't think the Giants offense is terrible, but I will say that they're success is mainly due to good pitching.

# 18 pay26 @ 01/28/11 05:06 PM
need more pictures and videos of the mlb the show 11

# 19 Money99 @ 01/31/11 04:09 PM
Concentrate on arcady baseball? What on earth is being smoked at the OS offices.
For starters, MLB2K equaled The Show as far as combined sales on next-gen consoles.
Secondly, MLB outsold The Bigs 3:1.
So why on earth would 2K stop making the better selling title in place for one that didn't?
Anyone? Anyone?

The only think 2K failed at is signing that horrible 'exclusive' agreement. If they weren't paying through the nose for that exclusivity, no doubt this franchise is making a profit.
And now that the series is finally going in the right direction and making huge strides, just before that giant anchor is taking off of them, they're going to stop making the game and therefore even bigger profits???
Am I missing something here?

# 20 mac8204 @ 02/02/11 10:24 PM
I think 2K should definitely be making some more Power Pros games. They are highly addicting and would bring in a lot more money.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.