Home
Fight Night Champion News Post

The Fight Night Champion demo is available now for the 360 and later tonight (roughly 9 P.M. EST) for the PS3. Please post your impressions here.

Game: Fight Night ChampionReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Fight Night Champion Videos
Member Comments
# 121 TDKing @ 02/02/11 12:30 PM
I like the the new punching system way better than that TPC crapola. Not happy about the autoblocking (another ea game taking control away from the user). Overall I like the game, still on the fence about a purchase. I find myself asking this question alot, "what have they really done with this 2 year cycle ?", I was expecting a bigger improvment I guess, especially in presentation. No interest in the story mode.

P.S. Thanks for making online matches available in the demo.

# 122 acarrero @ 02/02/11 12:32 PM
One thing that needs to be re-worked, and I think can still be improved before the release, is that aside from flash KO's, it seems that getting up from a knockdown is always the same pattern - the first time it's easy, second time not as easy, third time is hard. I would like more variety. If you get caught with a flurry of hard punches and go down early in the fight, it shouldn't always be equally easy to get up from. This pattern is unrealistic and has gotten old.

# 123 tony01313 @ 02/02/11 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
It's a punch used everyday in boxing. Do you watch the sport? If you're in the ring you're not forced to throw a hook with your arm perfectly parallel to the floor. I guess you've never seen an overhand right either.

I've heard the term used many many times on TV - and I'm glad I can throw the punch now, in fact it's always been one of my fav's.

ps. I'm having next to no problem with the controls, the only thing I do occasionally is throw a lead overhand while wanting a hook, but it doesn't happen too often.
Do I watch boxing yes I do it's the only reason I have hbo right now. I love boxing I have watched every televised match on hbo the last few years and I have never heard of a hookercut. It doesn't even sound right how can you throw a hookercut and not hit the guard or body? Controls still suck by the way why not hold a bumper too do modified punches like a overhand or a "hookercut"

# 124 N51_rob @ 02/02/11 01:20 PM
I am finally getting used to the new punch system. I was throwing a lot of punches in fights. 400+ because my hands were still used to the FN4 punch system. I would go to throw a hook, by swinging the stick around and I would throw a hook, overhand and jab inadvertantly. Same for upercuts. That was causeing me the biggenst issues, leaving myself open to being countered and the like. I am enjoyng the demo for what it is. There are some things tha I hope get tightened up, but all in all I like the improvement I've seen over FN4 and will probably pick this game up release day, if not before.

# 125 ps3veron @ 02/02/11 01:42 PM
Someone please tell me why this is rated M?

I'm seeing less blood than FNR4.

# 126 Phobia @ 02/02/11 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
Tcrew to really base public opinion on OS you should look at the post of those who been in the forum on a regular basis , not those who maybe read and not posted . I can honestly say the guys who been here for awhile in this forum like the game even some who maynot have liked it at first. Nothing against the guys who disagree, but Creep, Mo, Phobia, Money,JayBee, Dave, Shakurr, Sausage, BQ and couple other guys I would look to see how they feel about the game.
I played about 5 or 6 matches last night. Couple offline to get my bearings with the game again since I been playing Fight Night 4 since I got back. Then I played Matt and Meth online for some matches.

While I was again struggling with the controls it had NOTHING to do with the configuration as tony01313 keeps reiterating. It had way more to do with the fact since I just got off FN4 that I kept hold RT and flicking up or down on right stick, thus resulting in me throwing punches when I did not want.

After a couple rounds I was good to go and got right back into it.

I HONESTLY don't see how anyone can say this is a rehash of FN4. I have been playing the hell out of it the last few weeks and then switching to the FNC demo is completely different.

First thing I noticed different from community day is the speed of the combos is much quicker. Also the footwork is drastically faster.

Remember guys, "sim presentation" combined with WIDE camera angle equals to a wonderful experience. Which was the first thing I tried to change when I got on, but the demo does not allow you.

Personally, I LOVE the demo. I tried to be as realistic and honest in my assessments from community day. They have improved the sim aspects since RD4, if you don't see that then I don't know what to tell you.....maybe go design your own game to meet your needs.

I think it still needs some tweaking in many areas, but across the board I think it is a wonderful step up over the horrible RD4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony01313
man everything is way too close together you can't even put a proper combination together with out throwing the wrong punch most the time. Also Hookercut I mean what the hell is that.

Also it felt tactical with TPC flicking the stick up for the jab and throwing a hook in a hooking motion. BUT THE AUTO BLOCK is really the deal breaker for me, I mean really AUTO BLOCK
Have you ever seen a boxing match where it takes a pause of a sec or two between punches for a boxer????? There is a video out with Pac throwing out like 6 punches in 1 sec. That is literally impossible with RD4 and the control scheme.

The flick system is extremely easy and YES I can throw what I want when I want. You want to throw a jab, left hook, right upper cut combo. Flick up, left, right down. Just like a real boxer, his punch form won't always be perfect. So he might be throwing a uppercut but it has a slightly kicked out angle between a hook and uppercut. It is the exact same way with the controls. You might not throw the perfect jab, left hook, then right uppercut. But it will be very close, like a right hookercut or looping left hook. This does NOTHING different for gameplay.

On to the auto block. Do you realize that a real boxer is watching center mass and can see the slightest twitch of the shoulder muscles to see when a punch is coming and from what hand. We as gamers don't have that luxury, so our delay from the time the punch is thrown to us seeing it THEN trying to apply it on a controller would mean you are getting hit in the face unless you GUESS before the punch is thrown.

Plus with the increase of combo speed in FNC it would be flat out impossible to block left high, body right, right high, etc. In quick combination. So the auto block is need drastically. Hell I don't even see how you can complain about this when punch accuracy is still to high in the 50% range often.

Longer you hold block the more punches will be able to get through, so chosen when to block, when to weave, and when to let the hands fly are all key parts of the boxing experience.

My perception by your post is you are frustrated by the controls because you have not put enough time in to fully learn them and you are venting here plus writing the game off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
It's a punch used everyday in boxing. Do you watch the sport? If you're in the ring you're not forced to throw a hook with your arm perfectly parallel to the floor. I guess you've never seen an overhand right either.

I've heard the term used many many times on TV - and I'm glad I can throw the punch now, in fact it's always been one of my fav's.

ps. I'm having next to no problem with the controls, the only thing I do occasionally is throw a lead overhand while wanting a hook, but it doesn't happen too often.
Agreed!

# 127 Phobia @ 02/02/11 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron

Wait till you get into champion mode and the f bombs are flying out everywhere THEN you will see

# 128 DaveDQ @ 02/02/11 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron

Listen to the game's soundtrack. Also, the content of the story mode has adult themes.

# 129 Phobia @ 02/02/11 01:49 PM
Quote:
Do I watch boxing yes I do it's the only reason I have hbo right now. I love boxing I have watched every televised match on hbo the last few years and I have never heard of a hookercut. It doesn't even sound right how can you throw a hookercut and not hit the guard or body? Controls still suck by the way why not hold a bumper too do modified punches like a overhand or a "hookercut"
You are complaining the controls are to hard and now you want to add in even more buttons........I don't understand your mindset

# 130 tony01313 @ 02/02/11 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
You are complaining the controls are to hard and now you want to add in even more buttons........I don't understand your mindset
I never said the controls are hard my problem is how much stuff is on the sticks, you end up throwing something you don't want.

# 131 Phobia @ 02/02/11 02:12 PM
Quote:
I never said the controls are hard my problem is how much stuff is on the sticks, you end up throwing something you don't want.
Yea but my point is that the difference between a hookercut & uppercut is just a LOOK. It does nothing different from a gameplay stand point. So if you throw a combination and you meant to throw a straight uppercut but you threw a angled out uppercut AKA hooker cut. It still takes NOTHING away from the gameplay.

# 132 ExtremeGamer @ 02/02/11 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
Listen to the game's soundtrack. Also, the content of the story mode has adult themes.
That's it for me, no problem with the story mode having the swearing, but the soundtrack is excessive.

# 133 tony01313 @ 02/02/11 02:55 PM
Quote:

I HONESTLY don't see how anyone can say this is a rehash of FN4. I have been playing the hell out of it the last few weeks and then switching to the FNC demo is completely different.

Have you ever seen a boxing match where it takes a pause of a sec or two between punches for a boxer????? There is a video out with Pac throwing out like 6 punches in 1 sec. That is literally impossible with RD4 and the control scheme.

The flick system is extremely easy and YES I can throw what I want when I want. You want to throw a jab, left hook, right upper cut combo. Flick up, left, right down. Just like a real boxer, his punch form won't always be perfect. So he might be throwing a uppercut but it has a slightly kicked out angle between a hook and uppercut. It is the exact same way with the controls. You might not throw the perfect jab, left hook, then right uppercut. But it will be very close, like a right hookercut or looping left hook. This does NOTHING different for gameplay.

On to the auto block. Do you realize that a real boxer is watching center mass and can see the slightest twitch of the shoulder muscles to see when a punch is coming and from what hand. We as gamers don't have that luxury, so our delay from the time the punch is thrown to us seeing it THEN trying to apply it on a controller would mean you are getting hit in the face unless you GUESS before the punch is

Longer you hold block the more punches will be able to get through, so chosen when to block, when to weave, and when to let the hands fly are all key parts of the boxing experience.

My perception by your post is you are frustrated by the controls because you have not put enough time in to fully learn them and you are venting here plus writing the game off.
In fightnight R3 and R4 after the first and second round can pretty much peep your style and therefore I can get an idea when your about too jab or body shot and adjust on the fly. In real boxing it's the same takes a few round too feel each other out. I am not saying the previous games were 100% accurate but it gave you an idea on boxing Hit and not get hit. You are able to block to the body or head when you want and not when the computer chooses too. In real life a fighter just can't hold his hands in his guard and protect both body and head you have too make a choice most of the time, unless you have the peeka boo defense like clottley, Winky, or Ike and they don't move there arms at all they take everything on the arms. Even if your going too do one button blocking dont parry my shots automatically knowing where I am throwing. I think it's sad you have too throw a combo just too open up a guard. Some of the best fighters Like Mayweather can pot shot and find openings in your D without throwing a combo too open up the guard.

We just eliminated the most important part of boxing

# 134 NINJAK2 @ 02/02/11 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
Does anyone find it alittle hard to get inside with tyson. He felt alittle heavy so did the guy i was playing last night. I need to get that sidestep under control. As far as those who say you can't box, I question whether you know how to . Playing with Ali you can keep them at bay. You can rope a dope but the way the stamina works now punches will get in if you block too long. Overall can't wait to play the retail version. I didn't flash ko but I did hurt guys with good counters. This game is a good step forward. it will be interesting to see how other boxers feel. I know i don't like fighting with Tyson, Pacman is ok but you have to really get good shots in order to win .
I haven't had a problem getting inside with him. Ali's one punch KO power is rediculous though in this game imo. He is more adept at it than Mike and I don't think that should be the case. I've been in online matches where I'm dominating with Mike taking virtually no damage and Ali lands some weak looking hook that puts me on the canvas.

# 135 SteelerSpartan @ 02/02/11 03:01 PM
Quote:

On to the auto block. Do you realize that a real boxer is watching center mass and can see the slightest twitch of the shoulder muscles to see when a punch is coming and from what hand. We as gamers don't have that luxury, so our delay from the time the punch is thrown to us seeing it THEN trying to apply it on a controller would mean you are getting hit in the face unless you GUESS before the punch is thrown.

Plus with the increase of combo speed in FNC it would be flat out impossible to block left high, body right, right high, etc. In quick combination. So the auto block is need drastically. Hell I don't even see how you can complain about this when punch accuracy is still to high in the 50% range often.

Agreed!
It just Baffles my mind as to how people want to be able to Land even more when you got ffing consistent connect percentages in the mid 50s to high 60s!!

The only problem I have with the one button blocking right now is that its still paired up with the ability to "Perfect Block" and open up unrealistic counter windows....they say the freeze is gone but I still notice something going on

That is mostly a very good fight between guys who are trying to box.........but theres too much perfect blocking and countering going on......when you come up against fighters who master this....its going be very scary to throw one punch jabs.....Im already gettng annoyed by the thought of the GOAT CPU AI abusing this

Out of the 4 times Ive been Knocked out Online, 2 times it was because I hit somebodies gloves with a jab and was frozen and then Punch modified....And only one of the 4 actually looked liked a Flush Power shot...the others had screwy hit detection....like one landed on my neck and the other barely grazed the back of my head if at all

You tone that stuff(Perfect blocking) down and Im not going to have many problems with the 1 button blocking.....because I agree up-down stuff where you leave a whole part of your body open just isn't real boxing at all

# 136 vision @ 02/02/11 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamtino
I deleted the demo after five fights.

Playing this demo was actually far worse than watching those demo videos.

There is no sense of boxing skill involved in this game whatsoever. This is not boxing. The best way to describe it is a really cheesy arcade slugfest rockem sockem till somebody drops. The action is way too fast, punches have no pop, stamina seemingly doesn't drain at all and the one button blocking just doesn't work. I don't even understand why they found it necessary to remove the ability to block high and low. The worse part is the delay when punching. It's at least a half second delay and because of it you often end up throwing an extra punch.

That said there is a positive when it comes to the gameplay and that is the full spectrum punch control. They finally got stick punching right.
This is a good post that mirror my thoughts exactly. Played the game for a good 7 hours off and on last night. Hopped online as well. The game is garbage.. Gameplay that is. It's arcade. This is not boxing.

The controls are sluggish i.e. The input delay is horrible. I don't understand why it's there.. I mean I understand the delay with using the buttons to "even" things, but not with the sicks as well. The stamina is unreal. Punch power means relatively nothing.. then again it seems like the most random flash knockouts occur. Auto block sucks. There's really no point in playing strategically.. the game is just not fun to me. Round three was better as far as strategy. It's just not a very good demo.. If this is going to be the finished product, I call it a fail. What a shame. Personally disappointed.

# 137 sva91 @ 02/02/11 03:28 PM
Ok...got about 12 games in today, and I can't stop playing it.

I consistently throw around 45-50 punches per round while my opponents get in about 80-100. Soooo satisfying beating these guys that just come in throwing hooks to the body. I usually keep my opponents around 35-40 connect % while I hit well over 50%. Im not trying to toot my own horn, but I really feel that the guys that are complaining are the guys that try to throw a ton of punches. There are some instances where me and my opponent won't throw a punch for 10-15 seconds (vs Sim fighters) and just wait for an opening.

I usually play with Cotto vs Pac and am definitely starting to find my groove. One complaint, and its gonna make me sound like a sore loser, but I got beat by a Flash Ko to the body in the 2nd rd. I know I get it, flash KD's happen, but how many times do elite boxers actually get Flash KO'd without prior damage being inflicted? especially in the first 3 rds.... I know Paul Williams, but it rarely happens, and Im not one to mix it up..though I did get KO'd while trying to exchange.

So apart from the flash KD's, Im having a blast. The one button blocking is GREAT. I hated blocking to the head, just to have my opponent throwing punches to body then head..etc. In real life, you cover up your whole body while in tight qtrs. I really hope they improve the punch delay, though its not that bad. I really want to test myself against some good sim boxers, please add me on xbox Sav713.

Every time I get a new boxing game, the first thing I do is try to box using the jab, mixing it up, conserving my energy...and they never let me do this. This is the first boxing game I've ever played where I can def box the way I want to box effectively. I do think this game may favor outside boxers more than inside fighters, but that could just be because I've always boxed from the outside, and haven't found anyone online to be especially effective inside.

# 138 JayBee74 @ 02/02/11 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision
The game is garbage..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sva91
Ok...got about 12 games in today, and I can't stop playing it.
Nothing like a diversity of opinion.

# 139 JayBee74 @ 02/02/11 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
Out of the 4 times Ive been Knocked out Online, 2 times it was because I hit somebodies gloves with a jab and was frozen and then Punch modified....And only one of the 4 actually looked liked a Flush Power shot...the others had screwy hit detection....like one landed on my neck and the other barely grazed the back of my head if at all

You tone that stuff(Perfect blocking) down and Im not going to have many problems with the 1 button blocking.....because I agree up-down stuff where you leave a whole part of your body open just isn't real boxing at all
Strange, I haven't had any problems with being knocked out by counters off of a well timed "Tap Block".

# 140 vision @ 02/02/11 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Nothing like a diversity of opinion.
Yeah.. Garbage might sound harsh, but I guess that just exemplifies my disappointment.

Change a few things like.. input lag, stamina, and the effects of getting hit by power punches, and I might drink the cool-aid. For now the game is one step forward two steps back.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.