Home
Madden 12 News Post

Check out the article, over at Gamasutra.

Quote:
"EA also said an expected NFL strike in the coming year could have an effect on the company's bottom line, due to the signature Madden NFL American football game franchise, and that this effect has already been factored into its financial expectations.

"We, like you, are looking forward to the NFL and the [players] resolving their differences and starting the season on time this year," said EA COO John Schappert, "but in terms of a planning assumption ... we've baked in the most conservative assumption, meaning no season. We're optimistic it can be better than that, so there's an upside."

Responding to a question about the impact of stereoscopic 3D on the market, Schappert said he actually thought other technologies were more important to EA and the industry's bottom line."

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 RedZoneD25 @ 02/01/11 09:06 PM
Thanks for the article Steve.

# 2 at23steelers @ 02/01/11 09:16 PM
Yeah thanks Stevo!! I am glad EA doesn't think 3D is that important right now, because there is just so many other needs.

# 3 JDoze @ 02/01/11 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
So what would this mean for the Madden series for said year I wonder? A Madden game without the NFL exclusive would still sell if ya ask me. What would we get, a fully editable football title? Cant go wrong there.
Backbreaker...

Also, thanks for the info. I wonder if they are going to try and use the motion sensing devices. I hope not.

# 4 jhogan3132 @ 02/01/11 10:44 PM
hopefully they focus on online dynasties........ Maybe?

# 5 jyoung @ 02/01/11 11:25 PM
I'll be shocked if EA doesn't just release Madden 12 and ignore the lockout like they did with NBA Live 99 and the NBA Lockout.

Madden will sell regardless of whether or not there's a NFL season.

# 6 PVarck31 @ 02/01/11 11:55 PM
Trust me, Madden 12 will release in August. NFL season or not.

# 7 RedZoneD25 @ 02/02/11 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
I'll be shocked if EA doesn't just release Madden 12 and ignore the lockout like they did with NBA Live 99 and the NBA Lockout.

Madden will sell regardless of whether or not there's a NFL season.
I'd expect highly increased sales if there were no NFL season. People need their "fix", especially if they aren't getting weekly live games.

# 8 adembroski @ 02/02/11 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
I'd expect highly increased sales if there were no NFL season. People need their "fix", especially if they aren't getting weekly live games.
I thought that myself, but it doesn't tend to be the case with strikes. Maybe the NFL is different, but MLB and NHL games took big hits during their strikes. Apples and oranges, maybe, but I think it's a fairly strong indicator considering that, while smaller, their fan bases are just as fanatic.

# 9 Dog @ 02/02/11 01:22 AM
I may be crazy, but I think Madden will get HUGE sales if there is a lockout in the NFL with all the football fans wanting an NFL fix

# 10 biggiejerseys @ 02/02/11 01:32 AM
@adembroski Baseball's strike happened towards the end of the season so there would be no effect in games sold not to mention in 94 video games weren't as big as they are in 2011.

# 11 RedZoneD25 @ 02/02/11 01:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
I thought that myself, but it doesn't tend to be the case with strikes. Maybe the NFL is different, but MLB and NHL games took big hits during their strikes. Apples and oranges, maybe, but I think it's a fairly strong indicator considering that, while smaller, their fan bases are just as fanatic.
Fair enough. Hopefully we won't have to see if that's the case (for fans and EA alike)..

# 12 Dazraz @ 02/02/11 02:26 AM
I'm glad EA are not prioritising 3D. There is much to be addressed with their titles. Taking time on this area will deflect away from more immediate issues.

EA must realise that the potential of Madden 12 is going to be factored by the improvements made to the title & not on any impending lockout. If EA take the game where it needs to go it will sell. There are pages & pages of feedback on any number of forums regarding what the consumer wants from the Madden title, with many issues consistently recurring. Maybe this will be the year EA have listened.

# 13 spit_bubble @ 02/02/11 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFitsDaveyJ
I'd be willing to bet a lot of people buy the game to sort of follow along with the season.

That being said, I think the juggernaut that is a Madden release is hard to slow down at this point. My guess is there would be a small hit in sales if there is no agreement in place, but nothing too significant.

# 14 havokeff @ 02/02/11 08:58 AM
I remember it being brought up, but not seeing an answer...
Does the lack of a CBA effect the game as far as using player names as well as likenesses? IIRC, the NFLPA grants its rights to Madden as well as the NFL, but is there is no CBA, I believe the NFLPU said it would decertify for legal reasons.

Anyone caught up on this aspect?

# 15 RedZoneD25 @ 02/02/11 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpkpkp
Yeah; but not all football fans play video games.

My dad doesnt even know how to turn an Xbox360 on, let alone want to play with it.

Most football fans will get their fix through the AFL or CFL... Gooooo Montréal Alouettes!!

My prediction is that a lockout would have a negative impact on sales... if any... hardcore Madden fans will buy the game regardless of what happens next year. But casual gamers might not be as inclined to purchase the game without a real NFL season.
Which is why M12 is the PERFECT reason to delve more into the grit of the game rather than jump on a top-shelf quote "gimmick" feature as some put it.

What better year to have massive core mode overhauls (Franchise both offline/online, SS mode, etc.) where you know the fans who are buying the game are the ones who are going to appreciate that sort of effort more than the average person.

# 16 1WEiRDguy @ 02/02/11 12:06 PM
hmmm..madden 64 rings a bell for some reason...~shrugs~

# 17 RJTurneR @ 02/02/11 12:29 PM
Quote:
Backbreaker...
Why does someone mention this every single time? Backbreaker is not the future. It's still very raw in terms of depth, and the game engine is far too rag doll for Madden.

# 18 roadman @ 02/02/11 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
It has to release. They're already developing it now, and we won't be sure if the season isn't going to start on time, if at all, until after August anyway.
The latest I read, (today) said both parties are having meetings on Saturday and throughout the month. The players lock-out is March 3rd, so, they would like to have something in place by then.

I don't know if that will be accomplished.

# 19 shadthedad @ 02/02/11 02:13 PM
I blogged about this very thing in "the best Madden ever". I pointed out that the NFL would lock out the players (kind of shocked he referred to it as a strike) and this would be an excellent opportunity for EA to build a fantastic product to hook in fans of both the NFL and Madden. We should be in for a treat.

# 20 Legionnaire @ 02/03/11 02:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
No way Madden posts good numbers if the NFL isn't active.

I understand the idea that people might dive into Madden because they need their fix. And that's true of a decent-sized chunk. But there's a way bigger majority of the gaming population that only really buys Madden (or a given sports title) because that time of the year rolls around and the sport starting a new season basically gives them a new itch for the video game to scratch. Take away the real-life sport, and plenty of people would feel no "itch" for the new game.

And there's plenty of people who only go buy the new year's sports title because the new season ramps up and makes it impossible for them to live with last year's rosters anymore. But that won't be the case anymore if the league is shut down and they don't yet know how the rosters will change.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.