Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

This video is also available on the OS Youtube channel, please subscribe while you're there.

Check out the new MLB 2K11 Developer Diary. Senior Producer, Mark Little discusses dynamic player ratings, presentation and more.

Quote:
"To describe the system in one sentence: the Dynamic Player Rating system (DPRS for short) dynamically adjusts player ratings to represent recent performance. It is simple to say but it is a little more complicated to do. I’m going to walk through the basics of how we do this.

To begin with, the only way to make a player play better or worse than normal is to adjust up or down the ratings for the player. Albert Pujols is a beast at the plate because his contact and power ratings make him amazing. So, when we adjust player ratings, we adjust how the game will play with that player. The end goal of the DPRS is to determine how and when to adjust player ratings to represent their recent performance."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 econoodle @ 02/04/11 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitstreak13
Man, this sounds pretty good as I think it will add alot of strategy during franchise play. I can just imagine someone trying to groom their closer of the future only to get lit up during the season, causing his progression to stall. This should force you to use him as a reliever first (carefully I may add) and try to build up his confidence and attributes.

This, along with new fielding controls, should definitely cause you to think more during games. I mean, not only are we going to have to worry about pitching matchups (dont want that cold reliever facing a red hot Albert Pujols), but making defensive substutions may be the difference between that must win and a heartbreaking loss. Cant wait.
oh man, i hope it works that way!

# 42 johnnyg713 @ 02/04/11 11:09 AM
Did you guys notice the health status in the screen shots? I never played 2k10 so idk if they had it in franchise last year. But its pretty cool they give u a percentage of how healthy a player is during the season. This gives us a reason to rest players.

# 43 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/04/11 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
Did you guys notice the health status in the screen shots? I never played 2k10 so idk if they had it in franchise last year. But its pretty cool they give u a percentage of how healthy a player is during the season. This gives us a reason to rest players.
That was not available in 2k10. If this works in collaboration with DPRS, especially in Franchise Mode & done correctly, HEALTH just may be the thing that drives DPRS in Franchise Mode.

# 44 brendanrfoley @ 02/04/11 12:38 PM
I'm starting to get excited. Between the dynamic ratings, replaced animations and the refinement of fielding... there's a lot to like.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

# 45 swaldo @ 02/04/11 04:27 PM
This system sounds great, alot of challenging decisions will have to be made in every game! In regards to franchise I'm sure they'll have a system in place so ratings wont get too skewed.

They mentioned there will limitations, so if a .220 hitter starts the season hot with a .320 avg over 4 weeks his contact rating would probably top out to something that would be comparable to a .270 hitter.

In franchise they might do something like this:

(4 week .270 rating) + (historical .220 avg) / 2 = .245

So his new, updated rating would be comparable to a .245 hitter. This way he can't stay hot forever but can still have a good year.

If a batter has 50 at bats in a four week period the difference between .220 and .245 is only 1.25 hits. The difference between .220 and .270 is only 2.5 hits. It's going to be an interesting season and the game will be a definate purchase for me after reading that great blog post.

# 46 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/04/11 05:59 PM
I knew a mathematician would pop up @ some point. Good stuff swaldo

Sent from my FRESH EVO 3.5 via tapatalk

# 47 parkinson @ 02/04/11 09:58 PM
A question here.

Many guys wrote we don't need to re-start their own franchise mode after some trades are done in the real life when 2k said DPRS applies to every modes including My player and Franchise before.

This time, 2K elaborated how DPRS works. In MLB Today, DRPS works on real life results, while in My Player and Franchise, DRPS works on users playing and simulating results.

I think it means that My Player and Franchise mode doesn't reflect any real life trade. Am I right?

# 48 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/04/11 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinson
A question here.

Many guys wrote we don't need to re-start their own franchise mode after some trades are done in the real life when 2k said DPRS applies to every modes including My player and Franchise before.

This time, 2K elaborated how DPRS works. In MLB Today, DRPS works on real life results, while in My Player and Franchise, DRPS works on users playing and simulating results.

I think it means that My Player and Franchise mode doesn't reflect any real life trade. Am I right?
Yes you are correct. The only way to make real life trades within Franchise is to control all 30 teams & manually move players

# 49 parkinson @ 02/04/11 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
Yes you are correct. The only way to make real life trades within Franchise is to control all 30 teams & manually move players
Thank you. BTW I hope teams don't trade quite often.

# 50 econoodle @ 02/04/11 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinson
Thank you. BTW I hope teams don't trade quite often.
i found 2k10 to be pretty good on amounts of trades.
i simmed ahead a season the 1st day and saw most teams had the same roster give or take the usual real life changes you would see.

# 51 Visionsofmastery @ 02/05/11 01:16 AM
sliders away and fastballs inside once setup = 100+ k's for Mr Longoria

# 52 CarryTheWeight @ 02/05/11 10:17 AM
I'm surprised they didn't think of this earlier. I think every Franchise mode should have a feature like this because stars emerge, maintain themselves and fade all the time in real-life baseball. It's cyclical. There's no need for A-Rod to maintain a 99 overall rating if he's struggling to hit .200 at the plate all season, for example. One of the games to really nail progression were the last-gen Maddens, as stars (highly rated players) would emerge based on statistical performance, age and other factors. 2K11's, at least on the surface, seems even better because underperforming players will eventually lose rating points.

It's almost like OOTP's option of analyzing players based on statistical output. If someone's been struggling over the past three seasons and suddenly becomes a force in his contract year, he's going to demand more money than he would if you were to resign him in the midst of his slumping seasons. Granted, 2K11's system uses stats to determine how a player performs in-game, and that's just as important to a gameplay-based title as OOTP's method is to its own text-based format.

I'm really excited to see how this feature works and is implemented. IMO, an emphasis on dynamic content, even during Franchises, is always a good thing.

# 53 leafsfan17 @ 02/09/11 11:24 AM
I'm just hoping that for Franchise Mode, they fixed the glitch where drafted rookies would immediately be called up by the CPU after the draft and then eventually made the entire Franchise mode unplayable.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.