Home
Madden 12 News Post

The Sports Business Journal is reporting that the NFL and EA have come to terms on extending the current exclusive deal one more year with the uncertainty surrounding the 2011 NFL Season.

Quote:
"The NFL has restructured its lucrative licensing and sponsorship contract with Electronic Arts to account for the sport’s uncertain future, significantly reducing the video game maker’s contractual obligations next season but adding a year to the deal, according to several well-placed sources. The contract now runs through 2013.

The league is believed to have so far rebuffed pleas for fee reductions from other licensees and sponsors, many of which, like EA, find it difficult planning for the next season under the threat of a work stoppage. The league’s collective-bargaining agreement with the players expires March 4, and the two sides are far apart on reaching a deal.

EA, however, is a special case, with its iconic “Madden” video game title. The licensing deal it agreed to with the league in early 2008 is believed to be worth well into nine figures in guarantees and royalties over its original five-year term. That stands as one of the most, if not the most lucrative non-TV contract the NFL enjoys.

The NFL Players Association, which signed a companion EA deal for rights to the players, reaps regularly between $30 million and $40 million annually, according to the union’s annual filings with the Labor Department.

The league deal allows EA to use team colors, names and logos."

This basically means that EA has exclusive rights to Madden now until after Madden NFL 14 -- or roughly right about the time the next generation of consoles are set to hit.

This just shows how strong of business partners the NFL and EA Sports are at this point. The NFL is giving EA a break on payments this year and has basically given them an additional year as a make-up of sorts to make right. Also, if you read my 2011 Predictions Post back in January, you saw this was my first prediction, that the deal would be extended in some way this year.

So in that respect, this news is not unexpected -- and with the deal stretching into the next console generation, I have serious doubts any other company is going to be in a position enter the market anytime soon due to the extreme cost of entry into quality sports game development that will be present at that time.

Thanks to Pasta Padre for the news tip.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 301 mestevo @ 02/16/11 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patsfan188
if franchise mode is not improved I will NOT by Madden this year. Im sorry EA nobody gives a **** about Madden Moments, hardly anyone even cares about MUT either give me, Offline Franchise, Online Franchise and Super Star Mode. Then ME= HAPPY
They gather stats on how the game is used, if nobody played MUT and/or it didn't generate an expected amount of revenue it would not have returned.

Personally I don't get these kinds of statements, or are people really expecting them to go back on the 'we skipped a year to redo franchise for 12' stuff from last year?

Maybe a blurb about franchise expectations and a link to last years announcement about it should be put in the official M12 Information sticky.

# 302 Rocky @ 02/16/11 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
You can make a case either way. Someone in here showed where competition didn't make a difference.

Basketball games there is virtually no competition.
That's not even remotely true.

# 303 DaReapa @ 02/16/11 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Maybe they aren't blindly purchasing it, maybe they're enjoying the game that is produced each year?

Madden and NCAA are easily the best investment of my video game dollars every year vs the time that I spend on them with few exceptions. When one has a stronger year or a feature gets more of my interest thats the game I'll gravitate to for the majority of the dozen or so seasons I'll play. So far only the unlicensed games have made me regret purchasing a football title, not Madden (or NCAA) having bought both titles every year since ~2005 and I've yet to go back a year or skip years because of some perceived slight or the humous 'they didn't change anything' that some like to claim. I am not sure how some of you guys define value from a video game purchase, but the time I am willing to give it is how I define it, and I am still playing a couple games/week of my offline franchise. I can't say I am doing that with any other game that I've had for 6 months.
Fair enough. I'll admit that I generalized at a point, and there are some that do have a genuine like for Madden. But there have been so many times where I have seen this all too familiar post: "I hate this exclusivity crap, and Madden needs to be better, but I need my football fix." That's mostly the point of what I was trying to get across. People complain about the game, yet continue to purchase every year.

And on the other subject, I've been playing Madden looooooonnnnggg before you (since Bill Walsh College Football and the first Madden on the SNES, to be exact). You started playing Madden right around the start of this exclusivity deal and it's understandable that you feel the way you do about the game - it's been the only option for you. I, on the other hand, have seen plenty of NFL alternatives, well enough to know that there has been (and potentially could be) better competition. And I'm sure there are many others that feel the same way. So please redirect the "perceived slight" comment to those that apply.

# 304 SageInfinite @ 02/16/11 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I totally disagree. All my anger in this situation is directed at the NFL. If EA/Tiburon could make a satisfactory game, that doesn't mean gamers still aren't getting shorted. For example, 505 games and their Euphoria technology could change the way football are played forever if it was used by the right developer.

Unfortunately because of the NFL's love of exclusivity we will never know. We have to take EA's word for it. The same EA who spends less on development of Madden because of how much they paid for the license. The same EA who said it was impossible to do what Gameday managed to do and had to eat crow and take a year off in 1999.

Because the NFL closed the door and any other designers making a game and EA spent so much on the license they are unwilling to throw money into development costs, football games will continue to be behind what the Show and NBA2k11 delivered.

7 years in and Madden has one of the worst superstar modes of any sports game, a barebones online and offline franchise mode, weaker mini game modes, a complete removal of tournament modes, historic rosters and playbook editors. All the while, they continue to spend fewer resources they do have to improve areas like MUT and Madden Moments that will collect more revenue.

If the NFL charged a little less and cared more about its fans, EA would have more funds to put into Madden and the door would be open for new technology. It's the NFL and they are free to do what they wish, it's just sad to see their greed watering down the video gamers segment of their fanship.
I see where you're coming from. I would love to have competition because it breeds innovation. My only point was that it wouldn't be as much of an outcry and backlash if EA/Tiburon made an exceptional game. An example for me this year is EA canceling it's basketball game. NBA 2k11 was so good imo I didn't miss not having a choice, this year at least.

I would love for it to go back to the past when we had a choice of games to play. Not just 1 other choice either. I'd love for there to be 3 or 4 NFL sim style games to choose from.

# 305 mestevo @ 02/16/11 06:26 PM
That's just when I started paying for Madden, 2005 was my first NCAA game though. I've got a Dreamcast and the 2k titles in the closet, and had a couple for the Xbox too, but for a while it was a couple of us pitching in and playing through a franchise at a friends house on a weekend while others played D&D.

# 306 Americas Team1 @ 02/16/11 06:30 PM
Quote:
Do you really think the developers are putting forth half the effort? If that happened in my job, I'd be shown the door.

The developers are part of the whole picture. People have a tendency to forget about the marketing department and the suits above. Marketing has a huge input on the game.

In the end, does it really matter where and who you shake your fingers at? It won't change a thing.

From looking at the gameplay, AI, and franchise yes I do. There is no reason for the gameplay to not be better than what it is. The game play is pretty much broken IMO. The AI is just awful it's either way to easy or they just flat out cheat you to beat you.And what about the franchise mode? I guess that the madden just forgot that there's a franchise cause all they've added is a sub-par weekly show.

# 307 mestevo @ 02/16/11 06:42 PM
Outside of something very quantifiable like the stats czar, I have a hard time accepting any assumption that anyone does their job poorly just because there's no competition. I can understand being unhappy with the result or end product, but to say specifically that the people working on the project are giving anything less than their full effort on to make a game is a bit overreaching IMO. It's just not how you keep your job.

If you are saying you were in a position with no competition like some random Madden producer, and you'd do half the job you'd normally do... that says a lot about you, not about that random Madden producer. To then say that trickles down to individual developers, who are trying to remain successful on their own in the industry, hope to grow with the company, continue to be given new projects, brought into new teams, etc.... then that's a ton of just baseless unnecessary speculation just to hate on the project.

# 308 ryan36 @ 02/16/11 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquorLogic
I'm sure if you made the same mistake year after year after year after year, you'd be shown the door also.
What is it 5 or 6 million people who disagree with you? I'm not pleased with being robbed of the opportunity to find out...but I think more people like Madden than don't. That's just reality. YOU ARE NOT THEIR TARGET AUDIENCE.

# 309 mestevo @ 02/16/11 06:45 PM
Quote:
It's happened before. Custom stadium sounds were supposed to be in Madden 10, and so were sideline catches. They didn't make it in Madden 10, but showed up in Madden 11. Online franchise, which was server based, was supposed to get contracts and salary caps, well...nothing happened in Madden 10, or Madden 11.

Remember how the ratings were supposed to be stretched out to separate the elite player from the average one ? To this day punters and kickers can hold their own on the online, and QBs can play in the secondary.
And which of these had blog posts explaining how they would not be touched for an entire year and explaining that effort was being made to rework them and add them the following year? This isn't 'sideline catches' or 'stadium music', it's franchise mode. They go back on that and I'll borrow your pitchfork and blindly hate on them too, but it's not the same thing.

# 310 ryan36 @ 02/16/11 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Outside of something very quantifiable like the stats czar, I have a hard time accepting any assumption that anyone does their job poorly just because there's no competition. I can understand being unhappy with the result or end product, but to say specifically that the people working on the project are giving anything less than their full effort on to make a game is a bit overreaching IMO. It's just not how you keep your job.
I would go a step farther and say that it's plausible to question the current team's aptitude to make a game, because if the product falls short, the team has fallen short. But I would never question their effort. In fact, I'd say with all the effort they've put in, I'm surprised the game isn't better.

# 311 mestevo @ 02/16/11 06:50 PM
Quote:
Do you really think the developers are putting forth half the effort? If that happened in my job, I'd be shown the door.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team1
From looking at the gameplay, AI, and franchise yes I do. There is no reason for the gameplay to not be better than what it is. The game play is pretty much broken IMO. The AI is just awful it's either way to easy or they just flat out cheat you to beat you.And what about the franchise mode? I guess that the madden just forgot that there's a franchise cause all they've added is a sub-par weekly show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieV
I don't think anyone questioned the effort so much as the talent. I could spend 24 hours a day for the next 2 years trying to make the next installment of COD, but it would still be a piece of crap. I don't have the same talent as those guys.
I was replying to the above post where Americas Team1 confirms that he believes the team only gives half effort.

# 312 nolesfan69 @ 02/16/11 06:53 PM
The way I feel about the franchise overall is good but the last few years the game is getting a little boring. It's kind of like having the same dinner
every Monday for 5 years. But I think this is also my fault since I bought
the game since 1990. I guess I am looking for some kind of change to
make the game fresh and new. I won't make any judgements till I get
some more info on the game. I will never rule out buying the game
this year.

# 313 Kage123 @ 02/16/11 06:56 PM
This disgusts me to the DAMN CORE! Madden is a pathetic representation of the game of football. PERIOD!

# 314 mwjr @ 02/16/11 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyJim76
This license is EA's until they go out of business.

We will never have an NFL licensed game made by another company again.

Time to face facts people, this is profitable for both the NFL and EA.
Methinks you are correct.

Haven't bought Madden in 3 years. The lack of progress with the game has left me totally dissatisfied. I really want to play a football game again, but Madden is just lacking.

# 315 mwjr @ 02/16/11 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Same game engine through 2014!!!

I guess I'm wondering what foolish person would run out and buy the next tier of console, when sports games for the current systems have not been developed to maximize their potential?

Well, it's not EA's fault or the NFL's fault. It's you the foolish consumer that complains about this game, yet you go out and spend $60, just to trade it in and complain even more. If all the people who complained they didn't like this game, stop buying what they hate so much, then this deal would be worthless.

But you keep buying, so as hard of a pill it is to swallow, it's your fault!!!

I've been saying Rent-before-Buy for the past 3 years, but it seems to be such a hard concept to grasp or folks just have little self control and must go buy.

What's sad is that you buy knowing exactly what your going to get.

Can't get mad, your dollars are the Glue to such a deal.

Hey, if your really "Hardcore" as you say you are, and want authentic football without the gimmicks, then a Non-NFL/NCAA Brand shouldn't really matter to you as long as it's what you see on TV, right?

Maybe one of the writers could do a "Poll" to see how many gamers would buy an authentic football game without the brand names. Let's see what the numbers really look like (as far as on the OS Forum).

Count me as a Buy for "Authentic" Non-Brand Name football!!!
Count me in as well.

I thought that All-Pro was on the right track. A few tweaks to the gameplay, and then a completely fictional league with fictional players and teams featuring a functional franchise mode, and I would've bought it. Still would.

# 316 roadman @ 02/16/11 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofeazy
Do marketing DO the program for the game?No there a programer that does it.Same with the game sound, anmations,and anything else that the team program in the game.I am sick of hearing MARKETING is at fault.Remeber somebody has to do the things I listed maybe somebody need to start shifting the blame to the Tiburon team.

Like sage said:

I agree, I can't place the entire blame on Tiburon, but my problems with the game this generation(presentation, animations, glitches) seem more like issues on their end rather than EA as a company. I'm sure they have alot of pressure on their shoulders every year to deliver, but that's where the license comes into play. With that sewn up, no matter what type of garbage they put out(not saying Madden is garbage), it's still guaranteed a nice amount of sales, more than the average game at least. Plus it's history helps push this as well.

I'm not dogging Tiburon, but history has proven they can't provide a football game that blurs the lines between reality and video games, and at this point, that is exactly what this game SHOULD be doing.
Did I say marketing was at all the fault?

People are stating that developers are giving half effort and I just wanted people to know that marketing has a huge say so into what goes into the game. That cannot be denied. As Mesteveo said, it's a baseless acquistion to state people you don't even know in person give half an effort for their work. If people said that on the internet that I didn't give half an effort at my job, I'd say, they don't even know my work situation, I'd ignore it.

Liquor, sorry I agree with Ryan.

You feel the game is inadequate, but there are millions of other people who do purchase the game feel otherwise or else sales would plummet further down.

# 317 ryan36 @ 02/16/11 09:12 PM
Quote:
Madden's sales are on the decline, and have been for years. Madden is a house hold name which also is the only NFL game available. EA's mainstream appeal, and the popularity of the NFL sell the game more than the quality of the game itself.
Exactly. I agree with your point above. My point: It's still profitable. It's still an alright game, even after I was really enamored after patch 5, the Show will take it RIGHT out of my system, and maybe MLB2k11.

bottom line is it doesn't matter. EA will be making NFL football for years to come. What's 5 million times 60? 300 million dollars. I doubt anyone on the dev team makes more than 500k. The license is what? 76 mill? That's still mill of profit. If publishing costs , dev costs and shipping costs, etc. total $100 million dollars, there's still $123 million of profit.

# 318 ManiacMatt1782 @ 02/16/11 09:33 PM
I understand the business side of this deal. that doesn't mean I have to like it. And I have written a blog about it. Kudos to the business men involved in the deal lining their pockets. No matter what side of the fense you lean on, There should never be customers happy about news like this. It is never a good idea to not have a choice. Well there is a choice. Buy or don't buy. but there is no purchasing alternative for an NFL game. No-one to put pressure on EA to make the best game they can because they don't wanna lose market share. It is only us the consumer who loses out on this deal. To those applauding this deal, enjoy being robbed of a choice.

# 319 kjcheezhead @ 02/16/11 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I see where you're coming from. I would love to have competition because it breeds innovation. My only point was that it wouldn't be as much of an outcry and backlash if EA/Tiburon made an exceptional game. An example for me this year is EA canceling it's basketball game. NBA 2k11 was so good imo I didn't miss not having a choice, this year at least.

I would love for it to go back to the past when we had a choice of games to play. Not just 1 other choice either. I'd love for there to be 3 or 4 NFL sim style games to choose from.
Your right, it wouldn't be as much of an outcry, there should have been tho. Looking back to the original deal, I think I was one of the few guys who were playing Madden 05 and still was really upset about it.

To this day it amazes me how many madden fans seem to relish in the idea that Madden is the only option. I often ask myself if these guys have ever popped in Madden 08 or 09 on ps2 and noticed how much less Madden 11 on current system actually delivered? And they get charged an additional $10-20 to play the new version.

Imo, we have the exclusive license to thank for that and I don't know about anyone else, but knowing 2k fans have no game to play at all doesn't make me feel any better about getting screwed as well.

# 320 kehlis @ 02/16/11 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
I understand the business side of this deal. that doesn't mean I have to like it. And I have written a blog about it. Kudos to the business men involved in the deal lining their pockets. No matter what side of the fense you lean on, There should never be customers happy about news like this. It is never a good idea to not have a choice. Well there is a choice. Buy or don't buy. but there is no purchasing alternative for an NFL game. No-one to put pressure on EA to make the best game they can because they don't wanna lose market share. It is only us the consumer who loses out on this deal. To those applauding this deal, enjoy being robbed of a choice.
To be fair, I haven't seen any posts (other than sarcastic posts) from people applauding this deal.

Most of the debate in this thread has been a discussion between people who argue it makes no business sense versus people who think it does.

I haven't seen anyone make an argument that it is better for us the gamers.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.