Home
Madden 12 News Post

The Sports Business Journal is reporting that the NFL and EA have come to terms on extending the current exclusive deal one more year with the uncertainty surrounding the 2011 NFL Season.

Quote:
"The NFL has restructured its lucrative licensing and sponsorship contract with Electronic Arts to account for the sport’s uncertain future, significantly reducing the video game maker’s contractual obligations next season but adding a year to the deal, according to several well-placed sources. The contract now runs through 2013.

The league is believed to have so far rebuffed pleas for fee reductions from other licensees and sponsors, many of which, like EA, find it difficult planning for the next season under the threat of a work stoppage. The league’s collective-bargaining agreement with the players expires March 4, and the two sides are far apart on reaching a deal.

EA, however, is a special case, with its iconic “Madden” video game title. The licensing deal it agreed to with the league in early 2008 is believed to be worth well into nine figures in guarantees and royalties over its original five-year term. That stands as one of the most, if not the most lucrative non-TV contract the NFL enjoys.

The NFL Players Association, which signed a companion EA deal for rights to the players, reaps regularly between $30 million and $40 million annually, according to the union’s annual filings with the Labor Department.

The league deal allows EA to use team colors, names and logos."

This basically means that EA has exclusive rights to Madden now until after Madden NFL 14 -- or roughly right about the time the next generation of consoles are set to hit.

This just shows how strong of business partners the NFL and EA Sports are at this point. The NFL is giving EA a break on payments this year and has basically given them an additional year as a make-up of sorts to make right. Also, if you read my 2011 Predictions Post back in January, you saw this was my first prediction, that the deal would be extended in some way this year.

So in that respect, this news is not unexpected -- and with the deal stretching into the next console generation, I have serious doubts any other company is going to be in a position enter the market anytime soon due to the extreme cost of entry into quality sports game development that will be present at that time.

Thanks to Pasta Padre for the news tip.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 tril @ 02/14/11 09:53 PM
NO WAY!!!!!

# 82 Lavar @ 02/14/11 09:59 PM
Booooooooooooooo

# 83 ipman @ 02/14/11 10:02 PM
Wow money ruined video game football

# 84 bjones16 @ 02/14/11 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
Then why do people not get on 2K for taking the 3rd party license for baseball games.

There are many fans of baseball who do not have a PS3 or do not like the ps3 and have to settle for 2K baseball and nobody can argue that 2K baseball is better then Madden football.

2K is always looked upon as the poor baby of the sports gaming industry but their baseball game has taken the license from 3rd parties and have done very little to make a great baseball game. They should be persecuted just like EA for what they are doing.

At least Madden is above average in terms of game quality and sales that it produces. 2K baseball barely sells at all and they do not improve the game like they should.

But barely a peep about it. Just because SCEA makes a game does not mean that all is forgiven for 2K because many cannot afford a ps3 or do not want to buy a console just to play one game

Should Madden be a better game? Yes but I can say the same for all games

Their $60 price tag should not be held against them because all next gen games are $60 and many of them suck

If Madden was so terrible and did not do much to improve the game then it would not sell. But it does even with the drop of 10%

The NFL is not going to say. EA we can't give you the license because you did not sell as much as the previous year. As long as EA continues to pay them that type of money, then is all good with the NFL

And for EA to pay that kind of money to the NFL it tells you one thing, that they are not near given up the license.

2K and other companies would not ever top the price tag offered by EA because 1. They can't afford it 2. They know that they won't outsell it

That is fact
Madden has decreased in sales every year since 2006 yet with more console owners. Madden 05 sold more than 11 and 2k was 19.99.

Says a lot!

# 85 illwill10 @ 02/14/11 10:15 PM
I will only be disappointed if Madden 12 isnt good.
As long as they overhaul Defense and Franchise, I am good to go.
If not there is always NCAA 12

# 86 abjsuperstar @ 02/14/11 10:16 PM
i expect a bounce back yr from madden12

# 87 HHHBigFan @ 02/14/11 10:27 PM
Well, this just ruined my day.

# 88 nolesfan69 @ 02/14/11 10:28 PM
Oh well!! It is what it is.

# 89 Nab_Impervious_XII @ 02/14/11 10:36 PM
I'm the special kind of pissed where you know something bad like this would happen, but still pissed that it actually DID happen.

Just really depressing news to hear before I go to bed.

lol, I might actually return Madden 10 tomorrow just for spite, even though I bought it for only $9.99. Anything that shows my disagreement with EA, no matter how insignificant, will do at this moment.

# 90 stlstudios189 @ 02/14/11 10:40 PM
I hate the way business and $$ have killed sports video gaming. Not bashing Madden but, just want choices again.

# 91 leafs nation @ 02/14/11 10:44 PM
2K should make a CFL game if they want pro football. Probably the only one that will have a season in real life next year. Might be a good time to get the ball rolling.

# 92 videlsports @ 02/14/11 10:55 PM
If 2k can get a partner like warner Bros.. or now activision @ this point and get a deal with the CLC just to make Games (non- exclusive) The NFL will see how well they could be represented by having Madden and 2k sports making their games..

# 93 DaSmerg @ 02/14/11 10:59 PM
Just another voice to say terrible news.

# 94 bluengold34_OS @ 02/14/11 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
Then why do people not get on 2K for taking the 3rd party license for baseball games.

People who only have a 360, do it all the time. It doesn't bother me because I have a choice of games on the PS3. I end up buying both baseball games anyway, which is what I would do if EA/NFL would allow competition..........

# 95 dickey1331 @ 02/14/11 11:16 PM
I dont understand why people blame EA and not the NFL. I mean this is really the NFLs fault EA just had the money to do it.

# 96 pietasterp @ 02/14/11 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickey1331
I dont understand why people blame EA and not the NFL. I mean this is really the NFLs fault EA just had the money to do it.
And this is based on....what, exactly? Let's just all agree that since none of us were actually invovled in the negotiations between EA and NFL, we don't know who approached who or how it all went down.

More to the point, though, who gives a flying hoot? EA's fault, NFL's fault, I just don't care - it's bad either way. The end result is that we get screwed yet again, and probably in perpetuity...

Everyone just come to terms with the fact that there will never be another NFL 2K, or any other non-EA licensed football game for that matter, ever again. Find a way to live with that.

# 97 Paytonsplace @ 02/14/11 11:45 PM
As long as "Crysis 2", "LA Noir", "Dragon Age 2", "Mass Effect 3", and "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" are still coming out this year, I can say that I really don't care about what EA and the NFL do. I used to love football gaming but Madden has to compete with games in general and it comes up short. Now back to "Dragon Age: Awakening".

# 98 baumy300 @ 02/14/11 11:55 PM
Everyone loses when there is no competition.

It is absurd to think Madden does not at least attempt to produce a better game, but without another company pushing them, where is the drive?

They know even if they don't meet the customers demands/requests that most people will still buy their game anyways, so the real drive that needs to be there to make a great game just isn't.

The NFL does not care if we enjoy playing Madden, they only care if we are buying it. To them it's all about the money - Just look at this whole 18 game season fiasco.

I guess I frankly don't know what to do anymore. The NFL itself is driving fans away like crazy and Madden is strongly following suit.

Ian and the crew appear to be trying, but I truly believe they can not implement what they want. The suits above them seem to think that a game that appeals to "casual" gamers is what sells, when in reality casual gamers are just that. They will buy it regardless because they don't care about specifics, they just want an NFL game.

The sim/hardcore gamers are the ones who will buy it, purchases some of the add-ons, and stay loyal to the series if it satisfies them.

I honestly don't even know who to blame anymore. I don't know.... Everyone riot?

# 99 DickDalewood @ 02/15/11 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
Everyone loses when there is no competition.

It is absurd to think Madden does not at least attempt to produce a better game, but without another company pushing them, where is the drive?

They know even if they don't meet the customers demands/requests that most people will still buy their game anyways, so the real drive that needs to be there to make a great game just isn't.

The NFL does not care if we enjoy playing Madden, they only care if we are buying it. To them it's all about the money - Just look at this whole 18 game season fiasco.

I guess I frankly don't know what to do anymore. The NFL itself is driving fans away like crazy and Madden is strongly following suit.

Ian and the crew appear to be trying, but I truly believe they can not implement what they want. The suits above them seem to think that a game that appeals to "casual" gamers is what sells, when in reality casual gamers are just that. They will buy it regardless because they don't care about specifics, they just want an NFL game.

The sim/hardcore gamers are the ones who will buy it, purchases some of the add-ons, and stay loyal to the series if it satisfies them.

I honestly don't even know who to blame anymore. I don't know.... Everyone riot?
Well said Michael, well said.

# 100 Darkimpact17 @ 02/15/11 12:39 AM
Bad news I want a real football game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.