Home
Madden 12 News Post

The Sports Business Journal is reporting that the NFL and EA have come to terms on extending the current exclusive deal one more year with the uncertainty surrounding the 2011 NFL Season.

Quote:
"The NFL has restructured its lucrative licensing and sponsorship contract with Electronic Arts to account for the sport’s uncertain future, significantly reducing the video game maker’s contractual obligations next season but adding a year to the deal, according to several well-placed sources. The contract now runs through 2013.

The league is believed to have so far rebuffed pleas for fee reductions from other licensees and sponsors, many of which, like EA, find it difficult planning for the next season under the threat of a work stoppage. The league’s collective-bargaining agreement with the players expires March 4, and the two sides are far apart on reaching a deal.

EA, however, is a special case, with its iconic “Madden” video game title. The licensing deal it agreed to with the league in early 2008 is believed to be worth well into nine figures in guarantees and royalties over its original five-year term. That stands as one of the most, if not the most lucrative non-TV contract the NFL enjoys.

The NFL Players Association, which signed a companion EA deal for rights to the players, reaps regularly between $30 million and $40 million annually, according to the union’s annual filings with the Labor Department.

The league deal allows EA to use team colors, names and logos."

This basically means that EA has exclusive rights to Madden now until after Madden NFL 14 -- or roughly right about the time the next generation of consoles are set to hit.

This just shows how strong of business partners the NFL and EA Sports are at this point. The NFL is giving EA a break on payments this year and has basically given them an additional year as a make-up of sorts to make right. Also, if you read my 2011 Predictions Post back in January, you saw this was my first prediction, that the deal would be extended in some way this year.

So in that respect, this news is not unexpected -- and with the deal stretching into the next console generation, I have serious doubts any other company is going to be in a position enter the market anytime soon due to the extreme cost of entry into quality sports game development that will be present at that time.

Thanks to Pasta Padre for the news tip.

Game: Madden NFL 12Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 44 - View All
Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 daniverson1973 @ 02/15/11 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan36

Most people don't demand more. Most people buy Madden.
that is so true, and what can we do anyway....nothing
its a business deal between 2 superpowers that could really care less
NFL gets their money from EA & EA knows they'll get their money from buyers regardless

# 142 tribefanisu2003 @ 02/15/11 10:51 AM
You know what's funny? When this exclusivity deal first happened, and then shortly after the 2K MLB deal happened, I was thinking then that they got these deals mixed up. At the time, 2K was starting to show the start of what could be an absolutely tremendous football franchise, and while Madden 05 was very, very good, people were really enamored with 2K. At the same time, MVP Baseball 05 was out, and it was far and away the best baseball game on the market.

Now, there's no way to know how things would have played out had 2K gotten the NFL license, and EA got the MLB license. Theoretically, we'd still have The Show (which, when I purchased 08, it finally took the crown as my personal favorite baseball game away from MVP 05), and judging by what 2K has done with their NBA games (for me, I really could care less about the NBA at this point, but bought the game because it was an exceptional sports game), you'd have to believe their NFL game would be very good.

Again, this is all PURE SPECULATION. But, at the time, it seemed as though 2K really knew what they were doing as far as making a great NFL game, but were sorely lacking in the MLB department, and it appeared as though EA very much knew what it was doing with an MLB game. And now, people seem to be pretty disenchanted with both the MLB 2K series and the Madden series.

I just wonder how things would have played out had those license purchases been opposite of what they are.

# 143 STLRams @ 02/15/11 10:52 AM
Umm NBA 2K9 and NBA2K10 were the best basketball series out those years, and NBA2K11 was probably the best sports game of the year, so I can see why the one poster feels like if 2K had a football game it would pretty much own also, it was already ahead of its time back in 2004/2005 as far as sports games go.. But this NFL EA deal makes me want to cry, I just want to be able to play another NFL game other than Madden. I was looking forward to 2013, when I read this article I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. The deal makes sense I guess, but damn this is crazy we can't play another other NFL simulation game for possibly another 3 yrs, ive been waiting since 2006. Sad day, I guess I will have to be patient once again and see what EA sports is going to do with Madden AGAIN this year and hope for the best.

# 144 droopizzle34 @ 02/15/11 10:55 AM
all i can say is that I am sick of this exclusive license....i long for the days of choice and I'm tired of being limited to EA Sports for NFL football when they have yet to deliver a quality game since they got the license...a sad day for me today hearing this.....

# 145 UNC_Pete @ 02/15/11 10:58 AM
I hate you NFL. I really do. Madden is the worst football experience every year. I equate my Madden experience with my NFL watching experience as a Philadelphia Eagles fan. Every year we get hyped up and it's just a swift kick in jewels..every year!

# 146 khaliib @ 02/15/11 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
well we saw a small video clip of it....seems to be the same engine, with the same size player models. It shouldn't be too different from last year's version. That should be enough for some who were not satisfied from last year, to be jumping to conclusions now.....even more so when we have heard the same things from other forum posters before...

it usually starts like this
"just wait till there is info"
then this
"just wait till there are screen shots"
then this
"just wait till there is video footage"
then this
"just wait till there is a demo"
"just wait till there is the final game"
"just wait till there is a patch"

you get the idea.
"Can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink it"

This format has been followed for over 4 years now. and folks still refuse to understand that until there
s a new Game Engine for Madden, it will "Always" be the same game.

There's alot of Visual upgrades to give the "Illusion" that the game is different, but pop in an '07/'08 version and look past the Visuals and you'll see the same exact game engine mechanics.

Guess what you're getting in your stocking for 2012 version? Same Game Engine!!!

This deal just extends this Game Engine to 2013, Sales wiil be the "Only" factor that drives how often this get extended.
That's right, your dollars will continue to drive this Exclusive Agreement you hate so much.
The same Game Engine that a Dev verified to be Maxed out to what they can do.

What this deal says is that the Business is going to ride you gamers that must spend your $60 to get your NFL fix.

You talk a good game through your complaints on forums, but in the end, you'll be there purchasing within the first 3 days.

# 147 droopizzle34 @ 02/15/11 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLRams
Umm NBA 2K9 and NBA2K10 were the best basketball series out those years, and NBA2K11 was probably the best sports game of the year, so I can see why the one poster feels like if 2K had a football game it would pretty much own also, it was already ahead of its time back in 2004/2005 as far as sports games go..
I don't want to see ANY company with an exclusive license. Its all bad no matter who would have it cause we are limited to one game. 2K has no vote of confidence because of MLB 2K....that game is not good and unless u go buy a PS3 you are limited to only that game for MLB on the 360. NBA 2K11 has had NBA Live to push it to good heights,but yet you can't ignore the horrible online experience..so there's really no vote of confidence with 2K other than the nostalga of 2K5's greatness...

I want CHOICE....I want competition....i want to be able to have a choice to go get a different brand if I don't like the other one.And it is proven these companies(EA with the NFL and 2K with MLB)rest on their laurels and don't give 100% when they have no one to push them...

bring back choice in NFL simulation football and break us out of this prison NFL...down with this exclusive license and make video game football fun again by giving us CHOICE...

# 148 Icarus2k9 @ 02/15/11 11:18 AM
I'm just going to act as devil's advocate against the vast majority of people here, but just to clarify: people think it's fair for EA to potentially have to put out an annual videogame - as per their legal agreement with the NFL, btw - that would be gimped license wise, potentially costing them large chunks of money and then not be recompensed in some way (after all, people buy the game just as much for the player and team likenesses and so on - cornerstone of many arguments on this site).

But people think it's unfair that as a show of goodwill to a client who is paying them a lot of money to produce an NFL-approved vision of football that millions of people enjoy every year, the league would allow them an extra year of the license to make up for a potentially damaging year for finances?

Yes, the game would benefit from improvements like everything else in the world, and yes, those improvements are probably a little slower because of the funds needed for the license and the lack of competition, but please stop acting like this is the end of life as we know it, and the end of "good" football games until the end of time - which is purely an opinion thing which millions of consumers disagree with.

# 149 droopizzle34 @ 02/15/11 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giants4Natic
I am sure the NFL is willing to give up the millions to give people a choice of their liking for a video game
The NFL is gonna get money either way,whether its one company or four,they still get paid...

gamers are not caring how great a business move this is,that doesn't console people suffering with this game one bit. Yeah its great to eliminate your competition and get rich,but we as gamers suffer because of it.you can tell people "well don't buy it" or "why complain" but to alot of people these games represent fun and relaxation in their lives and shell out their hard earned money for this game, and to deal with someone half doing something because of "good business" is foul no matter how u spin it...we don't care about the business deal,we care about the game,and it is not where it needs to be after all these years of the exclusive license and stuck with one game with no choice.

# 150 mestevo @ 02/15/11 11:24 AM
Still waiting for a quality unlicensed football game, a NFL license isn't required to make a good accurate game. The competition needs to stop getting cute and shipping incomplete/gimmicky games. The lack of one gives me no confidence at all that a competitive product would have any leg up over Madden. The most recent efforts by both 2k and NM were pathetic.

Until then, Madden easily gets my money, this deal doesn't bother me, I'll buy NCAA and Madden every year, and every year there are enough changes to satisfy me as I bounce between the two pending the releaseof their replacements.

# 151 mr janny @ 02/15/11 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnprestonevans
I dont want to debate the overuse of certain guns in COD vs plays in Madden and the exploit some gamers use in both of these comparative games. My point is generally about the quality of the game itself. From a visual standpoint, tight shooting mechanics and from presentation - there aren't many games delivering online on the level and COD is doing right now. (Like I said I prefer BFBC2 over COD). And that really is my point - There are some other great shooters we can choose from. Killzone, Battlefield, Gears, Halo, Uncharted, etc. And which one of those you like best depends on your own personal experience and enjoyment of the game. My problem with Madden is that it is a lesser quality product when you lay it next to other sports games and it is the ONLY NFL game we've had the opportunity to play in the last 7 years.
The fact that there are other options out there only bolsters my original point. In the ultra competitive FPS genre, the most popular series is the one that offers very little in the way of change from release to release. CODBO is marginally better than CODMW2 which is marginally better than CODWAW which is marginally better than CODMW.
That goes to my original question, does competition always inspire change? Obviously it doesn't.
And it's obviously a business model that works. That's because the COD series is no longer designed for the hardcore FPS fan, just like Madden is not made for the hardcore football sim fan. Both games are made for the casual audience. They've become easier to pick up and play and reduced focus on balanced gameplay. In an industry where it's becoming more and more expensive to produce games, developers have to make sure their product appeals to the widest audience possible. And while the posters on sites like OS might be the loudest group of fans, they are not the largest. EA pays lip service to them, and throws them a bone once in a while, but it's only that. They are not EA's main audience. That's the reality of the situation.

# 152 droopizzle34 @ 02/15/11 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
This deal just extends this Game Engine to 2013, Sales wiil be the "Only" factor that drives how often this get extended.
That's right, your dollars will continue to drive this Exclusive Agreement you hate so much.
The same Game Engine that a Dev verified to be Maxed out to what they can do.

What this deal says is that the Business is going to ride you gamers that must spend your $60 to get your NFL fix.

You talk a good game through your complaints on forums, but in the end, you'll be there purchasing within the first 3 days.
sad, but very very true......

# 153 droopizzle34 @ 02/15/11 11:33 AM
Quote:
You do not spread yourself to other companies that cannot come close to matching the popularity and pockets of EA.
i feel what you saying bro,but this statement right here....will never be proven to be true because no one has the oportunity to try....

# 154 kjcheezhead @ 02/15/11 12:07 PM
Quote:
Remember 2K5 they sold the game for $20 and came nowhere near in game sales to madden.

Madden is Americana like P&j Sandwhich

Who cares really? Coke kills Pepsi in sales every year. You know what? I still drink Pepsi products and have no complaints about that situation.

# 155 RGiles36 @ 02/15/11 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus2k9
But people think it's unfair that as a show of goodwill to a client who is paying them a lot of money to produce an NFL-approved vision of football that millions of people enjoy every year, the league would allow them an extra year of the license to make up for a potentially damaging year for finances?

Yes, the game would benefit from improvements like everything else in the world, and yes, those improvements are probably a little slower because of the funds needed for the license and the lack of competition, but please stop acting like this is the end of life as we know it, and the end of "good" football games until the end of time - which is purely an opinion thing which millions of consumers disagree with.
Good post...agreed with all of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr janny
And it's obviously a business model that works. That's because the COD series is no longer designed for the hardcore FPS fan, just like Madden is not made for the hardcore football sim fan. Both games are made for the casual audience. They've become easier to pick up and play and reduced focus on balanced gameplay. In an industry where it's becoming more and more expensive to produce games, developers have to make sure their product appeals to the widest audience possible. And while the posters on sites like OS might be the loudest group of fans, they are not the largest. EA pays lip service to them, and throws them a bone once in a while, but it's only that. They are not EA's main audience. That's the reality of the situation.
Another good post. Your opinions/ideas are unpopular here, but they're about as realistic as it gets.

# 156 jeremym480 @ 02/15/11 12:25 PM
Quote:
Who cares? The NFL cares because they want their name associated with the biggest gorilla in the game which is Madden due to its 20 year run and mainstream appeal

That is just fact: If Madden was such garbage like many call it then it woud not sell as much and EA would not be able to pay for the license
Real Talk

# 157 TexasBorn1 @ 02/15/11 12:28 PM
Quote:
Who cares? The NFL cares because they want their name associated with the biggest gorilla in the game which is Madden due to its 20 year run and mainstream appeal

That is just fact: If Madden was such garbage like many call it then it woud not sell as much and EA would not be able to pay for the license
Sales have decreased, but dude people are going to buy Madden no matter what. Its a pop culture thing, every year you hear people say "Gotta get Madden" there are still people out there I know, that play nothing but Madden regardless of the changes to the game. Its always been the game

The only way Madden could stop selling is if EA did something insane like made the Wii version the lead platform and ported that to the PS3/360. Anyway, its still doesn't look good that sales have decreased considering that its the only new option every year. How do you lose customers when you're the only one offering a certain product? Profits should be going up for Madden every year, but the opposite is happening

# 158 mestevo @ 02/15/11 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBorn1
Sales have decreased, but dude people are going to buy Madden no matter what. Its a pop culture thing, every year you hear people say "Gotta get Madden" there are still people out there I know, that play nothing but Madden regardless of the changes to the game. Its always been the game

The only way Madden could stop selling is if EA did something insane like made the Wii version the lead platform and ported that to the PS3/360. Anyway, its still doesn't look good that sales have decreased considering that its the only new option every year. How do you lose customers when you're the only one offering a certain product? Profits should be going up for Madden every year, but the opposite is happening
Sales have decreased, but that's probably more to do with the current state of consoles vs the heyday of the PS2. 360 and PS3 combined equal just 2/3rds the PS2s sold. Touting the decrease as people taking a stand or crediting people not buying Madden for some other reason is just spin absent that context.

# 159 ManiacMatt1782 @ 02/15/11 12:49 PM
Well there goes any hope of ea working to improve game play. Enjoy your surprise onside kicks this year, and your create your super bowl half time show next year. They have no incentive to improve gameplay without anyone competing with them. I am done, no nfl game for me for a few years. Join the revolution against exclusivity. It it's only us, the paying customer who loses out on having quality products. The lack of competiton only breeds complacency from EA. The game will never improve with the exclusive license. You guys want this to end, do you want EA to go back to caring about improving their product, and making great football games again, then vote with you wallets. Don't give ea your money on a football title this year.

# 160 TexasBorn1 @ 02/15/11 12:53 PM
Quote:
Yea their sales are dropping and so are the sales of video games overall. The economy has a lot to do with this as well and so does the hate on the game by many which is warranted to an extent

But even with the drop in sales, it still sells big time and if EA was crying that it lost its mojo then they would not pay that kind of money to the NFL for the license when they do not make a profit from the game.

What game is marketed like Madden. No game

Sales have to take a huge huge huge hit for more then a year or 2 before EA gives up paying that kind of money to the NFL.

But sorry to break it to you. 2K can get an NFL game in 2013 and it will not outsell Madden 13. That is just fact
I don't care about anyone outselling Madden and I know its a good business move for EA. I know they are still making boatloads of money, my point was how do you lose any sales period. I know all the sales droppage can't be put on people choosing not to buy the game, but some of it is. It doesn't matter what % of that it is, but it should not be happening, period. They are the only ones offering a NFL game and they have still managed to lose some people that can afford to buy the game. They have still managed to lose some who bought the game in the past, but do not today due to them being unsatisfied with the current state of the game. I don't have anything against Madden, I don't care who the good game comes from as long as it comes

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.