Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

Mauer Mondays continue at Gamestop with another MLB 11 The Show video. This one is a gameplay clip between the St. Louis Cardinals vs. Chicago Cubs.

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Blzer @ 02/22/11 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myghty
I agree with this. Also, I never liked the little bright catcher's mitt that pops up to show where the catcher wants the ball. Why can't you have the catcher & his actual mitt setup the location of where he wants the ball in real time instead of the icon?
My argument (and my stance on it) is because they don't do it in real life until the pitcher winds up or comes set.

# 122 statum71 @ 02/22/11 01:16 AM
A little disappointed with how dry the commentary sounds. But I sort of expected that with them changing commentators.

Anyway....The Show is my favorite game, I'm in.

# 123 jestep123 @ 02/22/11 01:17 AM
Personally, I find the "if it aint broke dont fix it" argument kind of disheartening.

Yes, MLB 10 the Show was a GREAT game but lets remember some things.

It had its flaws
The only competition is 2k which IS improving
It is only fair to expect more out of the MLB 11 version. These games arent cheap. These days, you have to blow people away to get whatever discretionary income they have out of them.

To 2k's credit, they did that, hands down, with NBA 2k11, from the first time we saw gameplay footage to release day they did that. There is no denying that.

I love the Show series, I preorder it every year. I spent 300 for a PS3 for one game and I know I could make a whole fan club out of people whom have done the same.

That being said, a hard earned $65 is a hard earned $65. I think people were expecting more. I havent seen many that say they think this game wont be good, I think alot of folks were just hoping for a little more when they clicked on the link. I had an adreniline rush and what I got didnt match that.

Its like when you are a kid on Christmas morning and you asked Santa for a Nitendo and your parents play that trick on you where they wrap carnigans and arygle socks in boxes that look like they could be Nintendo boxes and make you open those before they finally pull out the Nintendo (Maybe only my mom did that but it was traumatic)?

Anyway, that's what it was like when I clicked on the link. I was looking for a Nintendo, instead I got a cordory sport coat. You know what I am saying?

# 124 thaSLAB @ 02/22/11 01:50 AM
I love what I saw from the game! If you can't see a difference between '10 you are blind. Also, the presentation and cameras used were kind of a head scratcher.

As for the quality of the video/audio as well as the editing, I agree, it was very hit and miss... very weird to say the least.

That said, I still challenge anyone to find a better overall package.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

# 125 econoodle @ 02/22/11 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestep123
Personally, I find the "if it aint broke dont fix it" argument kind of disheartening.

Yes, MLB 10 the Show was a GREAT game but lets remember some things.

It had its flaws
The only competition is 2k which IS improving
It is only fair to expect more out of the MLB 11 version. These games arent cheap. These days, you have to blow people away to get whatever discretionary income they have out of them.

To 2k's credit, they did that, hands down, with NBA 2k11, from the first time we saw gameplay footage to release day they did that. There is no denying that.

I love the Show series, I preorder it every year. I spent 300 for a PS3 for one game and I know I could make a whole fan club out of people whom have done the same.

That being said, a hard earned $65 is a hard earned $65. I think people were expecting more. I havent seen many that say they think this game wont be good, I think alot of folks were just hoping for a little more when they clicked on the link. I had an adreniline rush and what I got didnt match that.

Its like when you are a kid on Christmas morning and you asked Santa for a Nitendo and your parents play that trick on you where they wrap carnigans and arygle socks in boxes that look like they could be Nintendo boxes and make you open those before they finally pull out the Nintendo (Maybe only my mom did that but it was traumatic)?

Anyway, that's what it was like when I clicked on the link. I was looking for a Nintendo, instead I got a cordory sport coat. You know what I am saying?
agreed 100 percent

i was excited clicking the link after hearing Russie talk about 'it would take hours to tell all the presentation stuff added' and was hoping to see some of that in the clip.

It was heavily edited, and i didnt see anything that made me change my mind from getting a different game this year.

they shouldnt be putting videos out like that, its hurts more than helps.
for people on the fence, that vid won't work.
for people who buy 3 copies of it every year, it doesnt matter what was in the video.

the demo MUST show off these presentation elements.

# 126 jestep123 @ 02/22/11 02:20 AM
Quote:
they shouldnt be putting videos out like that, its hurts more than helps.
for people on the fence, that vid won't work.
for people who buy 3 copies of it every year, it doesnt matter what was in the video.

the demo MUST show off these presentation elements.

I havent read every post in the thread but this is one of the best points of what I have read.

I think it is important to remember that we arent dealing with alot of first timers on this thread. My guess is we are talking about Vets of the series. Not only that, we are talking about people who likely drool over the next interation being released from Mid November to early March. Most of the "on the fence" people talked about here are only trying to decide whether to keep their current version or upgrade. As this point illustrates correctly, this video does almost nothing to help those folks make up their mind to drop another $65 clams.

If you are brand new to the series, honestly, you are going to, and should be blown away by this footage because it is the best baseball series ever created without debate.

I guess you could make a case for "playing it close to the vest" and maybe not wanting to reveal too much but this vid seems like a sloppy effort from a group generally not known for that.

I may be (PUN ALERT) off base here, but I think that is most of the source of dissapointment here.

# 127 PVarck31 @ 02/22/11 02:43 AM
Honestly, if you let this video discourage you from buying, or at least renting this game then you are doing yourself a disservice.

I know not everyone likes the same stuff, and if you don't like the game thats okay. But this series is one of the most complete well made sports games on the current gen systems.

Most people would say that it represents its sport better than any sports game being made now.

# 128 Shakedowncapo @ 02/22/11 02:56 AM
I think opinions will change dramatically when the demo drops.

# 129 Blzer @ 02/22/11 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
I'm not telling people what to say or what opinion to have, but these commentary comments are getting old. This isn't directed at you specifically Lewis, but it's more than obvious that commentary is the weakest element to this game. I have faith that the SCEA team will improve it in the future, but I really just think that people get the point on the commentary.

Again, no disrespect intended, but it is echoed way too much in my opinion. We all get it.
Well this is kind of a two-way street here. If people keep hearing the same commentary, they will continue commentating on its staleness. I'm just saying...

# 130 Zinger @ 02/22/11 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroz39
Really not sure what people are expecting here. 10 was arguably the best sports game of all-time, yet people want to see something completely different in 11? Doesn't make any sense.

Anyways, personally, I know that to get a full scope of the gameplay improvements, especially in this series, I have to actually PLAY the game. So much of the year-to-year improvements are tied to feel with The Show that I'm not gonna judge harshly based on a video. Besides, I have nothing negative to say. Game looks stupid realistic, lighting is out-of-this-world, stances and deliveries aren't perfect but more than good enough (and better than any game's done in any baseball game) and just through a video, gameplay improvements are evident (like the aforementioned missed ball by the outfielder).

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I'm just not really understanding what people's expectations are when it comes to annual sports game releases. Even the commentary isn't as bad as this poorly edited video shows. I look forward to release day anxiously.
Couldn't agree more.

# 131 Dazraz @ 02/22/11 03:23 AM
Amazing how this game continues to look better year after year. The lighting is quite spectacular.

However the commentary is getting boring. Karros seems to just say the exact same lines as Hudler. If anything the commentary seems more disjointed than ever. Maybe that's just my reaction to hearing the same old lines all over again. Sony seems to have pulled the common developer stunt of bringing in a new voice in attempt to freshen up the commentary without actually freshening up the commentary.

My worry this year is that MLB the Show may start to feel stale quick. Hopefully there are a few nuggets tucked away in the game to keep it feeling new. 2K may well steal a few fans this year who want a fresh experience.

# 132 Blzer @ 02/22/11 03:26 AM
Quote:
People expect more year to year, but I guess I am just at a loss on how much people expect this game to be improved. It's the best sports game I've ever played, period. To me, getting major improvement on the player models and lighting was huge. I guess I am not just not too sure on how much people expect this game to improve considering it has such a mass following and so many people claiming that it's the best sports game they have ever played...
This is I guess where we then save the debate of "should sports games have two-year development cycles" for another thread, though it's a topic worth discussing nonetheless.

# 133 Blzer @ 02/22/11 03:37 AM
Quote:
Is it the same though?

I am not going to judge the commentary on a couple of edited gameplay videos.
Well there's a difference between judging the lines and judging the formula. The lines might change up, and in fact they might even have some more instances of actually referring to each other in the booth. The formula remains unchanged, however. There won't be back-and-forth chatter, and only one of the color commentators will chime in at a time after an eventful instance (be it a pitch off the corner or a grand slam). I think the most difficult part is they sound like stage actors, or like they're literally reading off a script and trying to project, enunciate, all of that good stuff. The best thing they could do is also probably the easiest, but difficult to manage: just talk. Talk fluidly like you do when you do commentary for a real game. There's no need to impress anyone, just chatter. That's all.

# 134 jestep123 @ 02/22/11 03:40 AM
Points well taken but lets be clear that this video was not leaked. This video was part of the "Mauer Monday's" promo. If we can agree on that, then it is fair to say this isnt some hack or pirate that got an early copy of the game. This video was put together by somebod(ies) and then likely approved by someone else.

The dev cycle point is an interesting one. I get it. They cant or dont want to do this or that. Understandable. The problem is that the game changes, or in some case doesnt, but the release day price never does. That is why you see people making buying decisons off of videos. That, and the expectation that, for the amount of money you are asked to spend, the marketing machines behind these games would want to put their best feet forward.

The argument about dev cycles is flawed to me. Its their endevor not mine. Its not like they dont have anything to gain. The biannual dev cycle is not an option because of the dollars that would be left on the table.

Its my opinion that you do have the right to expect drastic differences from year to year, especially if the price point doesnt move or goes higher.

As far as the vid being discussed here, the differences are not drastic and it sure doesnt put the game's best foot forward. Underwelming is a good description and that is suprising for as big a fan as some of us are and for this group as a whole.

# 135 Blzer @ 02/22/11 03:44 AM
Quote:
The argument about dev cycles is flawed to me. Its their endevor not mine. Its not like they dont have anything to gain. The biannual dev cycle is not an option because of the dollars that would be left on the table.
First of all, biannual means twice a year, not every two years. Secondly, I simply said two-year development cycles, I never said only release an iteration of the game every two years. Do it like Call of Duty, have two different teams. That might be just as costly though, but for the consumer you're certainly getting quadrupled freshness (since you're getting an entirely different experience every year based on the development team and they have two years to work on it each time).

Definitely something worth pondering over.

# 136 Jishin75 @ 02/22/11 03:49 AM
One video is a poor example, but since we can talk about it, let's do it.

What I liked:
Lights, clouds cover, talking about weather, new stats (vs left, vs right,pitchers and batters hitted), overall feeling of better graphics. The analog pitching looks nice and the custom camera will help like shoulder pads for a football player. Stances, the nice linedrive to the left with the lf running to the corner to catch it. We can see baseball in this game.

What I don't like: players don't use the body to throw, just the arm, there's no fluidity in the throw.
The commentary: boring as usual. I will heard the same thing about the young player who has to prove something to his new ballclub and so on. Boring.
The throwing error from the 3rd baseman Ramirez looked planned, the first baseman was already there like he knew, no try to stretch to catch an error. Awful, seems to me like 2k errors at first.
After the final out the catcher runs to Marmol coming from his back and Marmol is stuck..........then the tv scene with Marmol celebrating with the catcher. No fluidity.

Anyway, this is a great game.

EDIT: I hope we could feel the pressure of the last batter in the 9th with the crowd intensity.

# 137 jestep123 @ 02/22/11 04:11 AM
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
First of all, biannual means twice a year, not every two years. Secondly, I simply said two-year development cycles, I never said only release an iteration of the game every two years. Do it like Call of Duty, have two different teams. That might be just as costly though, but for the consumer you're certainly getting quadrupled freshness (since you're getting an entirely different experience every year based on the development team and they have two years to work on it each time).

Definitely something worth pondering over.
Im just saying that dev cycles are a poor excuse IMO because, as I said, its their endevor. It's what they put on the table for the consumer so the responsibility for making changes that justify another 65 a pop fall to the developers. Think of it this way, Take any overused line in the Show's commentary. Now think about how many different games in which you have heard that exact same line. Now think about how much it cost to have that line delivered, possibly up to 5 years ago. They are making money hand over fist. Its a small example but the game itself hasnt changed that much.

That said, I buy it every year and willingly do so but for those on the fence, or without the means of purchasing multiple games in the big sports gaming month of March, this vid was a poor effort which again, is suprising from SDS.

For the record, according to the Cambridge Dictionary. the prefix "bi" can mean "twice" or "once every two". Technically, however, I did use the wrong word. I should have said "biennial".

My apologies to the English teachers or majors out there.

# 138 Blzer @ 02/22/11 04:17 AM
Quote:
[

Im just saying that dev cycles are a poor excuse IMO because, as I said, its their endevor. It's what they put on the table for the consumer so the responsibility for making changes that justify another 65 a pop fall to the developers. Think of it this way, Take any overused line in the Show's commentary. Now think about how many different games in which you have heard that exact same line. Now think about how much it cost to have that line delivered, possibly up to 5 years ago. They are making money hand over fist. Its a small example but the game itself hasnt changed that much.

That said, I buy it every year and willingly do so but for those on the fence, or without the means of purchasing multiple games in the big sports gaming month of March, this vid was a poor effort which again, is suprising from SDS.

For the record, according to the Cambridge Dictionary. the prefix "bi" can mean "twice" or "once every two". Technically, however, I did use the wrong word. I should have said "biennial".

My apologies to the English teachers or majors out there.
Haha it's okay, I just wanted to make sure we were referring to the same meaning, even if you used the wrong term.

I am one of the people who agree that there needs to be a different way to treat the value of the game we're buying so that it's somehow mixed up year in and year out. I have plenty of ideas up there in my noggin, but it would take a lot to get them all in the right way.

# 139 jestep123 @ 02/22/11 04:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Haha it's okay, I just wanted to make sure we were referring to the same meaning, even if you used the wrong term.

I am one of the people who agree that there needs to be a different way to treat the value of the game we're buying so that it's somehow mixed up year in and year out. I have plenty of ideas up there in my noggin, but it would take a lot to get them all in the right way.

Yeah I am a big advocate of that especially in this time we are in right now. It feels like dev times are reduced, workforces are being reduced and the the quality, year to year is being reduced. The only thing not being reduced is the price. None of that anywhere is being passed to the consumer. I mean lets get with the program.

What's that you say, used games are big business? You mean I can get a game for 20-40 off and the only thing I dont get is a warranty that is almost never used anyway? Get out of town!!!!

# 140 jestep123 @ 02/22/11 04:34 AM
Quote:
I'm not saying that you shouldn't have those expectations, but it is my opinion that if the expectations aren't being met, then the product isn't worth your money.

Fair enough but if enough people's expectations arent met, you have a serious problem on your hands.

By the way, at this point we are talking about some other game because, as poor as this video was, that WILL NOT happen to The Show. This game has a cult following like few on these boards.

Its so funny, you look at the info being released on here for FNC, TW12 and Nascar, all good games in their own right and the three of those threads combined dont have anywhere near the comments that this thread does.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.