Home
MLB 2K11 News Post

In a recent MLB 2K11 developer blog, Sean Bailey, a designer working on the game, mentioned that the "'Pitcher Control' slider is one of several new difficulty sliders that we added to the game this year." Well, even more of these "new" sliders were revealed today in a new MLB 2K11 developer blog.

Jonathan Rivera, another designer working on MLB 2K11, detailed the new fielding sliders that will be in the game this year. Explanations for those fielding sliders are as follows:

Quote:
Throw Accuracy – Modifies the difficulty of the throw meter when fielding.

Gather error frequency – Increases the slider to see more gather errors and decrease to see less gather errors.

Throwing error frequency – Modifies the frequency of throwing errors by the CPU or when putting the meter into the red.

Outfield & Infield Throw Speed modifier – Tunes the throw speed of the outfielders and infielders separately.

Outfield & Infield Run Speed modifier – Adjusts the running speed of the outfielders and infielders separately.

Baserunner speed – Tunes the running speed of the baserunners.

Catcher Arm Strength and Accuracy – Tunes how hard and accurate the catchers will throw on steal attempts.

While at a preview event, I found out the last of the new gameplay sliders that will be in MLB 2K11. These sliders include Batter's Eye Frequency and Pitcher Composure Influence -- this one was actually revealed in the screenshot above, but I got an explanation for the slider today. The Batter's Eye Frequency slider will tweak how often you can see the location and type of pitch being thrown, and it will obviously highlight the "eye" rating for each player. The Pitcher Composure slider will increase or decrease how quickly a pitcher can get rattled, and it obviously hones in on the player's composure rating.

In short, here is the entire list of new sliders:
  • Batter's Eye Frequency
  • Pitcher Control
  • Pitcher Composure Influence
  • Gather Error Frequency
  • Throw Error Frequency
  • Throw Speed (Separated for IF and OF)
  • Run Speed (Separated for IF and OF)
  • Catcher Arm Strength
  • Catcher Arm Accuracy
  • Baserunner Speed

Game: Major League Baseball 2K11Reader Score: 5.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 DirtyJerz32 @ 02/24/11 10:10 PM
Love the batter's eye slider. Personally I love this feature. Makes me feel like MVP 05 all over again.

# 2 tvman @ 02/24/11 10:12 PM
Any idea just how sensitive the sliders are?

I'm hoping if you have errors for instance all the way down you see very few but if you have it all the way up you will see many, that kind of thing.

# 3 tvman @ 02/24/11 10:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyJerz32
Love the batter's eye slider. Personally I Kobe this feature. Mira me feel like MVP 05 all over again.
I agree on the batters eye. Some think it's kind of unrealistic but my thinking is just the opposite. It's just so difficult in these games to tell what kind of pitch is coming and whether it's a breaking ball or whatever. In real life MLB hitters generally have some idea esp. the good ones, as long as it's not overdone and a slider will help greatly with that.

# 4 ChaseB @ 02/24/11 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman
Any idea just how sensitive the sliders are?

I'm hoping if you have errors for instance all the way down you see very few but if you have it all the way up you will see many, that kind of thing.
I don't, but I was told that some of the sliders are very sensitive, so I would assume it will be easier to notice sizable differences after 5 clicks to the left or right.

# 5 tvman @ 02/24/11 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I don't, but I was told that some of the sliders are very sensitive, so I would assume it will be easier to notice sizable differences after 5 clicks to the left or right.
Sounds good, thanks.

# 6 Artman22 @ 02/24/11 10:55 PM
How does the game look so far? Is it a lot smoother then last years game?

# 7 duke776 @ 02/24/11 11:12 PM
I was hoping they'd add injury sliders, but I'm definitely happy with what we got.

# 8 hitstreak13 @ 02/24/11 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke776
I was hoping they'd add injury sliders, but I'm definitely happy with what we got.
They weren't in last year? The reason I'm asking is because it says "new gameplay sliders." I hope there is one because I wounldn't want to play a full season with just a handful of injuries.

# 9 duke776 @ 02/24/11 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitstreak13
They weren't in last year? The reason I'm asking is because it says "new gameplay sliders." I hope there is one because I wounldn't want to play a full season with just a handful of injuries.
Nope, there were no injury sliders last year. There weren't even injuries during gameplay (only sim). But now injuries have been added back, but if these are all the new sliders then we gotta hope 2k got injuries respectably close to what they should be. I won't worry about that until I see for myself when I rent the game though.

# 10 jeffy777 @ 02/24/11 11:36 PM
Yeah, last year there was only an on/off switch for injuries during franchise.

# 11 rudyjuly2 @ 02/25/11 05:45 AM
Nice list. Time to update the slider spreadsheet.

# 12 bonannogiovanni @ 02/25/11 06:23 AM
Chase, can you confirm there's no foul ball slider in the batting section?

# 13 wcrickards @ 02/25/11 10:13 AM
Ideally, shouldn't there be no use for sliders -- and that the game is perfectly tuned to simulation standards right out of the box?

# 14 ChaseB @ 02/25/11 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
Chase, can you confirm there's no foul ball slider in the batting section?
If it wasn't there last year, it's not there this year. I did have more foul balls in four innings of one game then I usually got in entire games last year (assuming you weren't flicking the stick to the right or left for the defensive swing).

# 15 mwjr @ 02/25/11 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrickards
Ideally, shouldn't there be no use for sliders -- and that the game is perfectly tuned to simulation standards right out of the box?
Too often games come out of the box simply unplayable, and sliders have been touted as the cures for these games. In my opinion, I think that the game should be playable right out of the box. If that is the case, then sliders - theoretically - should allow you to customize the game to your preferred style of playing.

If the game plays well, who am I to tell someone that he should be playing the same style of video baseball that I play. That's what sliders should be for. However, in recent years they've been used in an effort to fix broken games.

Just my 2 cents.

# 16 rudyjuly2 @ 02/25/11 10:35 AM
Quote:
Why not get rid of difficulty levels too?

Everybody has different skills and abilities. Some can hit better than others, pitch better than others, etc. Some people are hardcore gamers that are good at the game and others are kids or casual gamers that would struggle. To assume everyone's different play styles are all relatively even and would perfectly suit everyone, even on different difficulty levels, is wrong. What if your skills are suited between two difficulty levels? What would you do if you were great at pitching but sucked at hitting and you couldn't change anything?

There will never, ever, ever be a game created where everyone would think it's sim out of the box on every setting. Just way too many people to please so just accept and embrace sliders. The more the merrier. And if you don't like them don't use them.

# 17 Pared @ 02/25/11 10:38 AM
Quote:
What does this have to do with anything?

Sliders are there to allow someone to change a game to their tastes.

Your definition of "perfectly tuned" will vary from others.

Please don't derail the thread. Judging from your previous posts you have no interest in this game so your comment is seen as nothing but a veiled jab at this game.

# 18 Trevytrev11 @ 02/25/11 10:39 AM
Quote:
Ideally, every single person on the planet earth would function at exactly the same level when playing video games and would all share the exact same knowledge and know-how when it comes to every sport making the need for sliders pointless.

Unfortunately, the skill, dedication, and desire of how the game should be played, of different people puts everyone at all different levels of skill as well as expectations when playing video games.

By making the game customizable to different groups of people, the game is then enjoyable to a larger wider audience.

The bottom line is some people can't handle pitch speed at 95 and need it toned down to 50 or 60 or don't want the entire accuracy of the pitch determined by their stick skill, etc. etc.

# 19 tvman @ 02/25/11 10:45 AM
Seems like the biggest problem with sliders (if the game isn't playing correctly out of the box) is as soon as you change one slider it affects something else then... well you know what i mean.

It is different if you are changing just pitch speed or error slider but fielder arm strength, running speed etc. slider changes have a big impact on game play. That is why slider sets are forever changing and you can never seem to find the right mix. IMHO.

# 20 Dazraz @ 02/25/11 10:59 AM
Glad to see a Baserunner Slider. Without it Stolen bases are either inevitable or impossible depending on the runner. More sliders usually means more working finding the right balance but when you do the game is so much more satisfying.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.